My Thoughts on the Bears

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The State of the Bears press conference got me thinking about the big issues with the Bears and I wanted to write down my thoughts on some of the big things facing the Bears.

I am not trying to be inflammatory or negative.

1. This is a Coaching Issue.

The issues that plague this team are bigger than any one player or unit on this team. When an entire unit is playing poorly that is either a talent issue or a coaching issue, and in the Bears have talent, especially on offense.

-Consistently poorly prepared to play good teams
-Late collapses and an inability to make halftime adjustments
-Poor game plan [mostly defense]
-Baffling Personnel Decisions
-Sloppy, undisciplined, and fundamentally weak play

These are coaching issues. When all the players fail at the same time it has to be connected to something bigger.

2. Marc Trestman is on the Hot Seat.

Earlier I wrote that the shine had come off of Trestman, but this has gone well beyond that. Trestman should be at risk of losing his job. This team is too talented, on offense especially, to be this bad and to lose games in this way. The Bears are not only failing to live up to expectations, but they are not competitive in games, they cannot win at home, and HIS offense is one of the main reasons.

There have been multiple games where I have felt like we had no answer and that we were out coached, one of those was against Joe Philbin.

With the season on the line, in a must win game, the Bears were losing 45-7 at the half, if that does not show that a team has quit I do not know what does.

3. Mel Tucker and Joe DeCamillis should be fired this week.

Neither of these guys have a ton of talent.

But none of these guys do much to assist their talent level and improve the overall quality of the unit. Tucker especially is pathetic. His desire to continually run the same schemes even when they are not working is a fire able offense. A coach’s job is to enhance the talents of his players, not to expose them and force them to do things that they cannot do.

Rob Gronkowski was the exclamation point on this issue. Running the same off coverage with Ryan Mundy getting torched shows an inability to adapt and put your player in the best place to succeed.

4. Jay Cutler has not been good.

We needed Jay to be good, he has not been good. I also do not think that it is unrealistic to expect improvement when the Bears removed hurdles for him and paid him. I expected him to be better, but I am coming to terms with the fact that he may never be better. If it is true that he will not improve with the talent around him then 18 million a season was a bad investment.

That being said, focusing the blame for this dumpster fire solely on Cutler is a mistake that hurts the Bears. This problem is so much bigger than 1 player it requires an entire organization evaluation, don't lose that in a rush to crucify 1 player.

Cutler is part of a much larger problem.

5. Not a Cutler Apologist.

I may have sounded like a Cutler apologist above, but trust me I am not.

I have serious doubts that he is ever going to be good enough for the Bears to be a contender. I have serious doubts about his ability to ever beat Green Bay, kind of important, and I have my doubts about his ability to ever reach his potential.

Cutler Facts

-He is overpaid. Even if you say Alex Smith makes 16 million a year, Alex Smith gets his team into the playoffs with less offensive talent.

-He is always going to be mistake prone, after 9 years and this season with removed excuses accept that you are going to get Bad Jay more than you want.

-He is still the best QB within arm’s reach of the Bears, the Bears paid Cutler because he was the best option and he will continue to be until the Bears get better at scouting QBs or end up being able to pick an Andrew Luck.

-You are never going to personally like him, he is an asshole stop pretending that liking him matters or that smiling more will help him win.

-He will be here for 3 years, 54 million reasons why this is true.

6. The Bears Reliance on Aging Veterans has killed them.

The Bears drafted poorly from 07-11.

This has left them reliant on aging veterans [Briggs, Tillman, Williams] that cannot stay healthy or that cannot play anymore. This has also left the reliant on veteran free agents that are either ineffective [Allen] or over paid based on what they provide [Houston].

The young back bone of this team simply does not exist. Chris Williams and Gabe Carimi should be our tackles. Pool Jumper, Bazuin, and Shea should be helping our DL. Major Wright, Chris Conte, and Brandon Hardin should be at least be key contributors to special teams and maybe an impact starter. Iglesias and Greg Olsen should be key targets in the passing game.

This team does not have the young backbone they need. However, the last couple of drafts have given hope.

7. This Team is Devoid of Leadership

The Bears crumbled under the expectations of the season and when things have gone sideways there has been no one to step in and lead. Things have gone from bad, to worse, and finally to embarrassing with little done from players or coaches to stop the slide.

Cutler has never really been a vocal leader, and I do not see it happening now.

Briggs is the longest tenured Bear, but he has also never been a leader and he seems to have check out even more than last season.

Even the coach is not a vocal leader and Marshall is not someone I want yelling at anyone.

A great sign of team wide leadership would have been responding to the Miami loss with a strong effort in New England, cue the sad trombone music.

8. Change has not yielded results.

On a micro level there is so much this season to be disappointed about and upset about.

On a macro level I am most disappointed that the change I had waited for [Angelo and Lovie] did not yield the results I was promised or thought we were getting.

I thought firing Lovie, and his never ending carousel of offensive coordinators, would lead to an offensive revolution in Chicago. We hired an offensive coach that I liked and respected. Yet, we have the same offensive inconsistency and incompetence. We still have terrible coordinators [Tucker, DeCamillis] defended by their head coach.

This is was disappoints me most. 24 games into the new era and I do not feel the Bears are any closer to winning, and the argument could be made that they are further away. I am sure that this is why most

9. We should have hired Arians.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but it is hard to argue with his success in Arizona. Arians is exceeding the expectations put on that roster, while Marc Trestman is failing to meet the most basic expectations of his talent level. Arians seems to have the command and leadership that Trestman is lacking.

I am not guaranteeing that Arians would be doing more in Chicago, but it would be tough to be doing less with this offense and with this team.

I was a Trestman fan so I am surprise to see him fail as he has. I was excited about the hire and I was skeptical of Arians, but you cannot argue with results.

10. 3-6 Ends the Season

The Bears come out of the bye and play in Lambeau, a place they cannot win, against the Packers, a team they cannot beat. I know that sounds extremist, but the numbers do not lie. Cutler is 1-9 against the Packers and has never won in Lambeau.

The Bears have 2 weeks to prepare and get healthy, well the Packers have 2 weeks to prepare and get healthy.

I have a hard time seeing Trestman and Tucker out coaching the Packers in Lambeau when they could not out coach Joe Philbin, who is constantly on the hot seat, at home.

Once the season is done, it will be interesting to see if Trestman can keep the team together and playing hard when they have no reason to. Failure and pressure can breed toxic environments in locker rooms. This will be the biggest test for Trestman and will go a long way in the evaluation of him as a head coach.

I just hope that we play the young guys when this happens. See what we have and develop these guys, rather than try and uselessly save face and win a couple of meaningless games with veterans that are not part of the teams future.

I think Michael C Wright said it best

"Having covered a few teams & experiencing different fan bases, boy for all the support Bears fans give their team, they deserve way more."

cobbland

Liked Posts:
The State of the Bears press conference got me thinking about the big issues with the Bears and I wanted to write down my thoughts on some of the big things facing the Bears.

I am not trying to be inflammatory or negative.

6. The Bears Reliance on Aging Veterans has killed them.

The Bears drafted poorly from 07-11.

This has left them reliant on aging veterans [Briggs, Tillman, Williams] that cannot stay healthy or that cannot play anymore. This has also left the reliant on veteran free agents that are either ineffective [Allen] or over paid based on what they provide [Houston].

The young back bone of this team simply does not exist. Chris Williams and Gabe Carimi should be our tackles. Pool Jumper, Bazuin, and Shea should be helping our DL. Major Wright, Chris Conte, and Brandon Hardin should be at least be key contributors to special teams and maybe an impact starter. Iglesias and Greg Olsen should be key targets in the passing game.

This team does not have the young backbone they need. However, the last couple of drafts have given hope.

7. This Team is Devoid of Leadership

The Bears crumbled under the expectations of the season and when things have gone sideways there has been no one to step in and lead. Things have gone from bad, to worse, and finally to embarrassing with little done from players or coaches to stop the slide.

Cutler has never really been a vocal leader, and I do not see it happening now.

Briggs is the longest tenured Bear, but he has also never been a leader and he seems to have check out even more than last season.

Even the coach is not a vocal leader and Marshall is not someone I want yelling at anyone.

A great sign of team wide leadership would have been responding to the Miami loss with a strong effort in New England, cue the sad trombone music.

Sadly enough, Chicago had a chance to draft Antonio Brown (6th round 195 overall to the Steelers) and Greg Hardy (6th round 175 overall to the Panthers) in 2010, when they picked Joshua Moore (5th round 141 overall) and Dan LeFevour (6th round 181 overall).

And despite the Bucs currently having a losing record and performing much worse than Chicago, that team hasn't shown any signs of quitting/giving up/media outbursts.

PewterReport.com
‏@PewterReport
@Geraldini93 said all I want to do is win. Lovie Smith is everything you want as a leader and the type of guy you make a commitment to.
https://twitter.com/PewterReport/status/526826757820014592

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't disagree with any of that Windy. I'm actually surprised they haven't released Tucker yet, don't know what else he needs to do to be canned and with the bye week now was the time for it.

I do have to wonder if Tucker could be secretly demoted and have Paul P. assume some of the DC duties such as taking charge of installing the game plan or even making the calls on game day. Emery and Trestman are smart men and are not blind to Tucker's ineptitude. Maybe Trestman is to loyal to can him mid season but a secret demotion is a way around this without humiliating the man.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you're saying we'll beat the Packers? Cool!

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
WC, you seem like a nice enough guy and even though I troll you when you do 1,200 mock drafts over the course of the year, I do appreciate your posts. But look, losing makes everything seem worse than it is. Just as, winning makes things seem better than they are. There is such a thin line on wins and losses in this league, you know that.

The season has been disappointing thus far, it happens. It happens to teams every year.

You keep saying how much talent we have, and how we have enough...well, so do other teams. Other teams have guys that live and die football just like our Org does. Maybe you have overvalued the talent on the Bears some? Maybe you undervalue other teams talent because you aren't a fan of that team, to clarify, you aren't emotionally invested in other rosters the way you appear to be with Chicago.

Trestman deserves more than a season and a half before being put on the ''hot seat''. Get a grip. Does Emery strike you as an irrational boss that makes decisions off the cuff? Look how he supports Jay as an example, and you think Trestman is or should be on the hot seat? Emery hired him, no way Trestman is in danger at this point in his tenure, no way.

You write about our reliance on aging vets because of poor drafting. Isn't that a side effect of poor drafting? Should we of just signed a bunch of UDFA's instead of ''aging vets''? What would your answer of been? If you see my point, than just accept that this is Emery putting a prioritized Band-Aid on certain position groups as he cannot flip the whole roster in a couple drafts. Be realistic, you know the business.

Jay is Jay, get over that too.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
I agree with pretty much everything you're said. Good piece

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Cago

I am a huge Phil Emery fan and I do not disagree with him using vets as a bandaid. I am saying that one of the reasons that we are bad this season is that these veterans have let us down, I don't blame Phil Emery I blame poor drafts in the past. This team is talent deficent in some key areas.

I don't think Trestman gets fired after 2 years. But the offenses failure is a huge strike against him. If we were losing games like last season where our talent deficent defense was costing us even though we were scoring I would have less of a problem with Trestman. My problem arises from the fact that this is a total team collapse. His talented offense is a mess.

If you do one thing, which Trestman does, it better be damn good.

I do appreciate your comments.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
Like Cago said, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and like he said, based on what people here and on the radio have said, it appears the Bears are one of the worst run organizations in the league and virtually have not a single thing from the owner (George McC) to the GM to the coach to damn near every player. It seems that because of the high hopes for the season and because of how it's started that everything smells rotten.

It's gotten to the point where I can't even listen to the radio anymore because it makes me feel like the Bears are about to fold as an organization or that it's going to take a decade to improve to a playoff team.

I know at some point the Angelo/Lovie talk needs to be moved on from and that day is coming soon but the backbone of your team should be guys aged 23 to 27, 28 that have been drafted and developed by your organization. Guess how many players are still on this roster from those drafts by JA/Lovie? Two, Paea and Conte.

As you've pointed out, you're left with aging/injured vets and first/second year players mixed with having to overpay for FA's. Thankfully it appears that Emery is starting to restock this team with drafted players contributing.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with close to all of that.

As far as keying in on the bigger overall problem, I would put the target on Trestman, Tucker, and DeezCamillis - most specifically in leadership. The players have not been playing with focus or discipline.

Imo, the root cause of the problem is mental. All the rest of the shit is secondary. And imo, that is something that can be solved through coaching.

I think overall, the bears have plenty enough talent to be a 10 win team. They are playing well below their ability imo, and again that leads back to coaching.

As far as Cutler, I think he can be a guy that wins a SB with the bears, but he is not going to be the driving force behind the run.

I disagree with Cutler being overpaid. The money is not the real decision. The decision was whether you keep him at all. He signed for less than he likely would have got on the open market. Its what QBs cost, even if they are 2nd tier.

If you take issue with the size of his contract, what you are really saying is that you think it was a mistake to resign him. Cause overall, the contract is very friendly to the bears and lets them walk away very early in the contract if they want.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why do people act like ownership has anything to do with football operations?

The only thing they do is hire the GM and control the budget. And for over a decade, ownership has spent to the cap on player salaries.

Its fucking Special person to act like the bears are bad cause ownership doesn't want to be good enough. They have almost nothing to do with football decisions.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought when windy said Trestman is/needs to be in the hotseat, he meant that next season he has to produce or he will be out. Not that he needs to go at the end of this year.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
Why do people act like ownership has anything to do with football operations?

The only thing they do is hire the GM and control the budget. And for over a decade, ownership has spent to the cap on player salaries.

Its fucking Special person to act like the bears are bad cause ownership doesn't want to be good enough. They have almost nothing to do with football decisions.

It's like I said, people want to bitch about literally everything with the Bears right now and because the Bears were unsuccessful with Michael McCaskey it means they will be with George too. I had a dude on Twitter tell me he thought the Bears re-signed Cutler "just to make headlines".

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we were 5-3 instead of 3-5, would people be all over this leadership shit? I think not. People grasping at straws too much.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, I think the shit started with Tucker and the D and its like a virus. The futility spread to the O and Trestman needs to do something about it.

BearsSilk

Liked Posts:
If we were 5-3 instead of 3-5, would people be all over this leadership shit? I think not. People grasping at straws too much.

No and if the offense were scoring 21 a half vs 21 per game we would not be saying they're underachieving. We're not 5-3, perhaps we're just a few good leaders away.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
It's amazing how many are still holding onto the 2013 draft. Really, that was a fucking train wreck. It's looking like nothing more than a guard will come from that class as a capable starter. We are drafting no better under a Emery than Angelo at this point. The 2014 draft might be good, but there is little for Emery to hang his hat on after three years.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cago

I am a huge Phil Emery fan and I do not disagree with him using vets as a bandaid. I am saying that one of the reasons that we are bad this season is that these veterans have let us down, I don't blame Phil Emery I blame poor drafts in the past. This team is talent deficent in some key areas.

I don't think Trestman gets fired after 2 years. But the offenses failure is a huge strike against him. If we were losing games like last season where our talent deficent defense was costing us even though we were scoring I would have less of a problem with Trestman. My problem arises from the fact that this is a total team collapse. His talented offense is a mess.

If you do one thing, which Trestman does, it better be damn good.

I do appreciate your comments.

A lot of the time when teams sign free agents, whether aging vets, or big splash guys, they rarely live up to expectations. We have a continuity problem within our roster, to many players from different systems and teams, and it just hasn't come together. Emery will continue drafting players that better fit what our Coaches want and I believe some of the ''leadership'' concerns you and others have will go away. The NFL isn't a plug & play league like the NBA.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A lot of the time when teams sign free agents, whether aging vets, or big splash guys, they rarely live up to expectations. Or the contract the receive. We have a continuity problem within our roster, to many players from different systems and teams, and it just hasn't come together. Emery will continue drafting players that better fit what our Coaches want and I believe some of the ''leadership'' concerns you and others have will go away. The NFL isn't a plug & play league like the NBA.

I think there is more to the problems than the roster. I think there should be no doubt by now that Tucker and DeCamillis are terrible.