3rd Year Extension for Snell!!

RichTUK

Liked Posts:
Snell's impressed me so far this year, I know his numbers wernt big and his shooting was awful in his rookie season but he was a beast in the summer league, so I'm happy Thibbs is sticking with him!!

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
did you watch preseason? Snell sucks as much as he did last year if not worse

also i think this is moreso Gar trying to save face because he took Snell over Hardaway Jr/Dieng/Plumee and doesn't want to look bad rather than "thibs sticking with him"

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Meh. He's the Dickey Simpkins of this roster. With more potential upside if he can hone his streaky shooting into some consistency.

DCguy

Liked Posts:
As long as Tony can play aggressive he can ball. Hopefully he will play with more confidence. He started off the preseason shaky but I thought he played better as it went on.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
As long as Tony can play aggressive he can ball. Hopefully he will play with more confidence. He started off the preseason shaky but I thought he played better as it went on.

meh this was a good excuse last year but i don't think its gonna happen

DCguy

Liked Posts:
meh this was a good excuse last year but i don't think its gonna happen

It's not an excuse. He doesn't have a ball hog in him. Too team first at times. That doesn't mean he can't play because he can, just too passive at times.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
It's not an excuse. He doesn't have a ball hog in him. Too team first at times. That doesn't mean he can't play because he can, just too passive at times.

if its confidence issues i dont really see those improving under thibs much...i'd imagine you'd have to be mentally tough to play for him....you seen how psycho he gets over a missed rotation

ThibSlamIndy.gif

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Ain't even gonna' watch the game tomorrow against the Knicks.

:smug:

DCguy

Liked Posts:
if its confidence issues i dont really see those improving under thibs much...i'd imagine you'd have to be mentally tough to play for him....you seen how psycho he gets over a missed rotation

ThibSlamIndy.gif

It seems to me its more of him not trying to hog. He is too quick to pass up the ball. That's just how I see it. But I see what you saying. I was talking more with his confidence in being aggressive with the ball in his hands, its like he is scared to shot or make a play with the ball at times.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It seems to me its more of him not trying to hog. He is too quick to pass up the ball. That's just how I see it. But I see what you saying. I was talking more with his confidence in being aggressive with the ball in his hands, its like he is scared to shot or make a play with the ball at times.
I see what you're saying. McDermott sort of had this issue in preseason as well. I think in both cases they're struggling to find the balance between "being a good teammate" and "being aggressive." When you look at them in summer league, obviously both looked amazing because they were both being aggressive all the time, as they should have. However, once they joined with the rest of the team where they're not the offensive focus, they all of a sudden become very concerned with moving the ball around and not being "ball hogs" to show that they're unselfish teammates and such. Perhaps to impress the coaching staff, maybe to gain something with the other guys, idk, but I think for both of them, they do better when they are more aggressive.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Doug is rushing and overthinking everything...he needs to settle down and play more relaxed but he has a excuse being a rook

Snell is a 2nd year player he should be showing some type of progression....him needing to play more aggressive and confident has been the story since college

looking at his game log for preseason got up 11 shots with 6 threes twice (and another with 6 3's but only 7 shots)...so hes not really being that passive

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Both Snell and McDermott have to understand who else is on the floor. At times Snell might be with Hinrich, Gibson, Noah and he should be in the position of shooter and be a more aggressive scorer. The same pretty much goes for McDermott. If Snell is out there with Gasol, Butler, Rose he's better suited to make the extra pass and find an open spot. If McDermott is out there with the starters he doesn't have to force a shot or go hard to the basket because there are other scorers so he can stay behind the arc more. They both need to fit into different roles depending on who else is out there and that takes time to learn.

Also signing him to that last year gives them a fixed salary that could be included in any possible deal.

DCguy

Liked Posts:
Doug is rushing and overthinking everything...he needs to settle down and play more relaxed but he has a excuse being a rook

Snell is a 2nd year player he should be showing some type of progression....him needing to play more aggressive and confident has been the story since college

looking at his game log for preseason got up 11 shots with 6 threes twice (and another with 6 3's but only 7 shots)...so hes not really being that passive

He is playing passive and he just tries not to dominate the ball. No log will show that, its just be watching him where that will be seen. I agree with you that that has been the knock on him since college and it still is now. His second year in the league won't change that. He needs more an an attitude change or to be told that you take X amount of shots. he knows his role and plays it a little too good at times.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I fully believe that if they were playing with the starting guys they would look a lot better. And it's not really difficult to see why. Look at all the shots Dunleavy gets playing with the starters...he's shooting open jumpers all the time. Most of us would agree that McDermott would make those shots. Probably Snell too.

Contrast that to how they're being used off the bench. They're running off screen after screen like they're Richard Hamilton and sort of being treated like the first offensive option by the defense. It's easier to key in on them when it's obvious you're running a set play for them.

Clearly teams want to run McDermott off the 3pt line and make sure he doesn't get free on screens. Where McDermott needs to improve is in those situations where he gets the ball off the screen and isn't open and has to make the next pass, either to the post player or back to the passer. He seems pretty unsure of himself in that situation and since teams will gear their defense towards making that the case, it is accentuated that he's not great in that situation. Korver was a guy who was very good and getting rid of the ball if he wasn't open. Once McDermott learns to do that, he'll be fine. Or, if McDermott is given the option of driving or posting, he could do that too. That's something I haven't seen much of that I would like to.

As for Snell, he always seems afraid to shoot right away unless there's no one within 5 feet of him. Even when he's open he seems afraid sometimes. There have been a handful of drives where he looked great and went up strong for a layup or dunk and came away with points. There have been others where he does the same drive, but puts up a soft layup. Those are the ones he's been missing. Snell also never seems to use that pull up jumper that he was supposedly the best at coming out of the draft (supposedly he led all rookies in pull up jumper percentage). If he establishes an ability to drive, he can use the pull up as a counter move. Now he gives himself more things to work with instead of throwing up a bad shot or frantically trying to find someone else to give the ball to.

czman

Liked Posts:
Snell is just not very good. When he is rushed he tend to put way to much arch on his shot. He shoots far to many airballs. He is very soft with his dribble. he does not deal with contact well and loses the ball to easily.

There are fundamental reasons why he is not playing well. In SL the players are slower and weaker. He had more time to shoot and he did not get muscled around. The NBA is not SL though.

Snell still has time. His career is not over. I think he needs to get stronger with the ball and be less worried about getting his shot blocked. Don't fire a moon shot because someone is closing out at you. Just shot your shot.