The Teach Me About Hockey Thread

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think they do it to get noticed. An IHN board member did it during a Blues vs Hawks OT game (at St.L) and was kicked out of the game for it.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I've wondered this for awhile now...why do fans who sit by the glass bang on it when players are there? What are they hoping to accomplish?

It's just the more realized portion of, make some noise!

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's just the more realized portion of, make some noise!
lol it's just that it happens specifically when there's players in front of them I figured there was some reason beyond making noise

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think it's cool that since the IHN merger, posters like Grimson, REX, BHP and TCD have made me need this thread a lot less. I come back to confirm certain aspects of my hockey knowledge frequently but MUCH less than I used to.

I still don't understand Pez and his lack of regard for the physical aspects of the game, and this might be a useful thread for him to clarify things why hitting isn't important, momentum isn't affected by fighting, and why hockey should be less of a contact sport and more about puck control and temper maintenance....

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Rk used to punch refs in the head by banging on the glass.

God would he be having fun here telling all the morons you bring to this forum to "Go Fuck Yourself". Of course he may just have a heart attack at the same time.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
God would he be having fun here telling all the morons you bring to this forum to "Go Fuck Yourself". Of course he may just have a heart attack at the same time.

OT - what's this "Roooooooadddhouse.... " shit all about??

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
OT - what's this "Roooooooadddhouse.... " shit all about??

It's a movie, with round house kicks apparently, hhccclllloookiiiitttuuuup

I have a question to add to the question thread that's more so about NHL and Markets than hockey exactly. I just was pondering a question. There are talks of the league expanding a bit, by 2 teams or having a particular teams, like Arizona, perhaps moving and often the talk about destinations would be Seattle/Quebec City/Vegas(This one seems certain to happen)

But I wonder why Milwaukee or a Wisconsin area team is never considered by people. I don't quite get that. It's not like being squared in by Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit or a still nearby Toronto prevents them from sustaining a MLB/NBA presence. Is their fanbase really weak in those sports or is there some other factor why it seems an NHL team wouldn't fly there. I don't know how Wisconsin's NHL fanbase makeup looks as if it is split by zones reaching toward the nearest team or not.

I know they have had the Milwaukee Admirals as an AHL team there. Maybe that team doesn't draw enough for them to consider a NHL team being able to expand there? I would think maybe that being the Nashville affiliate doesn't help them though. I just don't get why it's never brought up as a possibility.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe Bill Wirtz had a clause put in with the league that no NHL team could locate within 90 mile of the city.
So I don't think Milwaukee is even an option.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe Bill Wirtz had a clause put in with the league that no NHL team could locate within 90 mile of the city.
So I don't think Milwaukee is even an option.

Are you sure about this? I haven't checked yet but I believe NYC and Long Island are within 90 miles of eachother.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are you sure about this? I haven't checked yet but I believe NYC and Long Island are within 90 miles of eachother.

It's not for every team I don't think, just Chicago.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bottomline?......Never will happen as Bill Wirtz will invoke his 90 mile no competition clause. In English.....bill wirtz won't allow an nhl team within 90 miles of the hawks and the NHL has a policy in place to prevent that.LA had to waive theirs for Ana. to come in. Milwaukee has tried in the past for an NHL team and has been blocked because of this clause in the NHL Bylaws. That was the whole reason the Bradley Center was built in the 1st place,for NHL hockey. Wirtz blocked the Petits(SP) from entering the NHl with the no competition clause.
Actually - as came up MANY times in the whole Balsillie soap opera - it is a 50 mile limit, not 90 miles.

However, sources told the Post the Competition Bureau is reviewing a section of the NHL's constitution that deals with the "territorial rights" of the league and its member clubs.

According to Article 4.1 of the league's constitution, "each member shall have exclusive territorial rights in the city in which it is located and within 50 miles of that city's corporate limits," known as the club's "home territory."

Section 4.2 of the NHL's rules sets out an absolute prohibition over the proposed relocation of existing franchises by declaring that "No member shall transfer its club and franchise to a different city or borough."

Section 4.3 also grants each team exclusive control over its "home territory," and each club can prohibit hockey games from being played in its "home territory" without their consent.

More importantly, section 4.3 states that "no franchise shall be granted for a home territory within the home territory of a member, without the written consent of such member." In other words, existing hockey teams have the individual right to veto the relocation of other clubs within an 80-kilometre radius of their own market.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bottomline?......Never will happen as Bill Wirtz will invoke his 90 mile no competition clause. In English.....bill wirtz won't allow an nhl team within 90 miles of the hawks and the NHL has a policy in place to prevent that.LA had to waive theirs for Ana. to come in. Milwaukee has tried in the past for an NHL team and has been blocked because of this clause in the NHL Bylaws. That was the whole reason the Bradley Center was built in the 1st place,for NHL hockey. Wirtz blocked the Petits(SP) from entering the NHl with the no competition clause.
Actually - as came up MANY times in the whole Balsillie soap opera - it is a 50 mile limit, not 90 miles.

However, sources told the Post the Competition Bureau is reviewing a section of the NHL's constitution that deals with the "territorial rights" of the league and its member clubs.

According to Article 4.1 of the league's constitution, "each member shall have exclusive territorial rights in the city in which it is located and within 50 miles of that city's corporate limits," known as the club's "home territory."

Section 4.2 of the NHL's rules sets out an absolute prohibition over the proposed relocation of existing franchises by declaring that "No member shall transfer its club and franchise to a different city or borough."

Section 4.3 also grants each team exclusive control over its "home territory," and each club can prohibit hockey games from being played in its "home territory" without their consent.

More importantly, section 4.3 states that "no franchise shall be granted for a home territory within the home territory of a member, without the written consent of such member." In other words, existing hockey teams have the individual right to veto the relocation of other clubs within an 80-kilometre radius of their own market.

So is Long Island more than 50 or 90 miles from NYC? Or are the circumventing the rules?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
So is Long Island more than 50 or 90 miles from NYC? Or are the circumventing the rules?

Well they're moving to Brooklyn now... so that's even closer, but New York doesn't care about rules or take that into consideration.

I didn't know much about those rules at all or the history behind it but that's pretty cool information. I did look up a couple AHL attendance stats of the last two seasons earlier and the Milwaukee was just around the average rating. They were among the lowest in capacity percentage since it's built to be a professional stadium and places like Rockford or the Hersey Bears get close to full stadiums because they're not large. But they would need to triple their attendance to be a viable filled stadium. Idk if the jump from an AHL team to an NHL team produces that, I'd expect a double in the ratings for sure at least. I guess it's not as open.

I still think it's an area with people who play hockey and know hockey far more than other markets. I think a Milwaukee team added is more sustainable than if they kept the Coyotes in Arizona AND added a Vegas team. They aren't that close technically, but I think their such questionable and weak markets that they will harm eachother from people being in the inbetween regions of those Nevada and Arizona.

italianbeef

Liked Posts:
No one knows clone. They have arguably the best #1 PP unit but they just want to be the Globetrotters and fucking pass 10K times instead of getting pucks on net.

They're built to set up fancy passing plays rather than parking someone in front of the net for a screen and hammer shots/clean up rebounds. Every series is the same - the other guys screen Crawford, the Hawks give the other goalie a clean view.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
They're built to set up fancy passing plays rather than parking someone in front of the net for a screen and hammer shots/clean up rebounds. Every series is the same - the other guys screen Crawford, the Hawks give the other goalie a clean view.

FWIW, though, the Blackhawks power play hasn't been as terrible as everyone (myself included) thinks. BHP pointed this out in a recent thread:

http://www.blackhawkzone.com/history/power-play-rankings.php
PP rankings in the regular season.

Postseason:
Year/(Rank)/%
'14-15 (9) 17.9
'13-14 (7) 21
'12-13 (13) 11.4
'11-12 (16) 5.3
'10-11 (7) 20.7
'09-10 (5) 22.5

italianbeef

Liked Posts:
That's bottom half of league and playoff field 3 of the last 4 years. Too bad Bicks is so soft - he should be the guy camped in front of the net for deflections and rebounds.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Bicks does do that. His issue isn't being soft he's not GOOD at it. Shaw is actually good at screening, staying in front of the goalie and mrroring him. Bickell's issue isn't being physical or leaving the screens from begin boxed out, it's from being less athletic or smart enough to keep in front of the goalie as he slides around... and he's not a great deflector of the puck either.

But in 2010/2011 when their PP was practically 1-2 most of the season tailing off at the end. But interestingly a lot of PP icetime in that year went to Tomas Kopecky who was good at screening the same way. That's someone less skilled but doing it by knowing how after learning on those Detroit rosters full of the experts of it. Though that team also surprisingly had so many goals, constantly working off backdoor passes across ice. That's how Sharp had so many PP goals that year but I wish they would use those or use the back of he net more than their system does now. I think differently and think they've revereted from when they did pass a ton more in more than just point to wing to point passes.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What gets me is Bickell's lack of balance. I love it when he hits, but he constantly gets knocked off the puck, pushed over, or just falls down on his own.

It hurts Kane's game being on a line with him when he seems to just throw the puck away before he loses it IMO.