Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
TCD said this in the Crow thread

Crawford also is one of the better communicating goalies in the league. When you play a stretch pass blueline system like the Hawks do you need a very aware and communicative goalie. Something a lot of fans forget or for those new to the game dont even know because again its something ignored in hockey media.

What does this mean?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;MRnUC4Yk6oE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRnUC4Yk6oE[/video]

If you want to avoid Tie joke antics and whatnot, jump to 3:30 for the point specifically.

Ton

Liked Posts:

What does this mean?[/COLOR]

He's talking about how goaltenders communicate with their defenseman. A lot of goaltenders can help direct a play since they are seeing the whole ice, it's fairly common to see a goaltender with his head up watching the forecheck and shouting out orders to his teammates when they are trying to get control of the puck and get it out of the zone.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
He's talking about how goaltenders communicate with their defenseman. A lot of goaltenders can help direct a play since they are seeing the whole ice, it's fairly common to see a goaltender with his head up watching the forecheck and shouting out orders to his teammates when they are trying to get control of the puck and get it out of the zone.

Ton would know nothing about this though, as he prefers to let his defensemen get pressured and turn the puck over only for him to be a sieve when the shots come in charity games.

[emoji13]

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

Ton

Liked Posts:
Ton would know nothing about this though, as he prefers to let his defensemen get pressured and turn the puck over only for him to be a sieve when the shots come in charity games.

[emoji13]

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

It was the socks! THE SOCKS I SAY!

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

What does this mean?[/COLOR]

Another example for you demonstrating the effect of not communicating.

m7PhZPz.gif

brokenjoker22

Liked Posts:
Apologies if this has been asked/discussed here before. I was wondering about the Salary cap. If you go above it on deadline day, do you just have to release guys? And how do the newbie guys you draft affect your salary cap?

Cheers :)

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Apologies if this has been asked/discussed here before. I was wondering about the Salary cap. If you go above it on deadline day, do you just have to release guys? And how do the newbie guys you draft affect your salary cap?

Cheers :)
From what I gather, the league has to approve every transaction and I don't think that, right now, the 'hawks are over the cap for 2016 since guys like Vermette, Richards, Saad, Oduya, et. al aren't signed.

In other words, if the 'hawks were completely up against it and tried to sign someone to a deal that broke the cap. the leage wouldn't approve.

The only real way to "violate" the cap would be using the LTIR (Long Term Injured Reserve) provision--esentially, if a player is injured for a long period of time (like Kane was). If a player is on LTIR the team can exceed the cap by the amount the player makes for the duration that the player is medically unfit to play. After that the team has to be cap-compliant.

From what I gather, if a team does violate the cap:

The Team or team representative that entered into the cap-breaking deal can be fined up to $5M, and that same amount is also take off of next years' cap, at the comminserner's discretion, forfeiture of draft picks, forfeiture of any games in which the team violated the cap.

That's basically it in a nutshell. I know one of the most common cap violations at least was bonus tagging: if a team had a player on an entry-level contract that had a bonus that was met and put them over the cap, that amount would be subtracted from the next year's cap.

Ton

Liked Posts:
From what I gather, the league has to approve every transaction and I don't think that, right now, the 'hawks are over the cap for 2016 since guys like Vermette, Richards, Saad, Oduya, et. al aren't signed.

In other words, if the 'hawks were completely up against it and tried to sign someone to a deal that broke the cap. the leage wouldn't approve.

The only real way to "violate" the cap would be using the LTIR (Long Term Injured Reserve) provision--esentially, if a player is injured for a long period of time (like Kane was). If a player is on LTIR the team can exceed the cap by the amount the player makes for the duration that the player is medically unfit to play. After that the team has to be cap-compliant.

From what I gather, if a team does violate the cap:

The Team or team representative that entered into the cap-breaking deal can be fined up to $5M, and that same amount is also take off of next years' cap, at the comminserner's discretion, forfeiture of draft picks, forfeiture of any games in which the team violated the cap.

That's basically it in a nutshell. I know one of the most common cap violations at least was bonus tagging: if a team had a player on an entry-level contract that had a bonus that was met and put them over the cap, that amount would be subtracted from the next year's cap.

I think over the summer a team could be a certain percentage over the Cap, but they have to get back down to the correct amount before the season starts. I don't have any sources to look up right now, but I remember that being a thing.

brokenjoker22

Liked Posts:
Cheers guys, that's a good breakdown for how it works. I didn't realise signings were league approved etc so that's brilliant. Thanks for that :)

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I think over the summer a team could be a certain percentage over the Cap, but they have to get back down to the correct amount before the season starts. I don't have any sources to look up right now, but I remember that being a thing.

There is two rules that I know of that apply to the post-season. There is a general, you can be 10% over until like a few days before the season starts. That's what the Hawks were at last year until they traded Leddy. (oddly fans and the media were still up and arms thinking they were over for this time for days, while Stan kept saying, no the league told us we are fine. It wasn't known by anyone until in the media until the last minute that Rundblad was actually dirt cheap for the Hawks because Phoenix was paying something like 1/3rd of his salary still.)

Another rule I've heard that applies is something I don't quite understand fully. Apparently right after the season is over before FA hits, you can sign over the cap based on how much UFA money on contracts you have coming off the roster. I suppose it's to allow teams to sign their UFA/RFAs before the FA/draft period where they are likely to start trading guys. This is what applies for the Hawks now, they don't have any problem giving Saad a contract because they have so much money in Vermette, Oduya, Rozi, Richards, etc. counting as UFAs expiring for close to 10Mil or something that lets them go well above the salary cap in this early part of the offseason.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There is two rules that I know of that apply to the post-season. There is a general, you can be 10% over until like a few days before the season starts. That's what the Hawks were at last year until they traded Leddy. (oddly fans and the media were still up and arms thinking they were over for this time for days, while Stan kept saying, no the league told us we are fine. It wasn't known by anyone until in the media until the last minute that Rundblad was actually dirt cheap for the Hawks because Phoenix was paying something like 1/3rd of his salary still.)

Another rule I've heard that applies is something I don't quite understand fully. Apparently right after the season is over before FA hits, you can sign over the cap based on how much UFA money on contracts you have coming off the roster. I suppose it's to allow teams to sign their UFA/RFAs before the FA/draft period where they are likely to start trading guys. This is what applies for the Hawks now, they don't have any problem giving Saad a contract because they have so much money in Vermette, Oduya, Rozi, Richards, etc. counting as UFAs expiring for close to 10Mil or something that lets them go well above the salary cap in this early part of the offseason.
But no matter what they have to reduce their salary by the time next season starts right? But I guess that does help with getting guys into actual deals so you know what you're working with.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But no matter what they have to reduce their salary by the time next season starts right? But I guess that does help with getting guys into actual deals so you know what you're working with.
Right. So at this point if they signed Saad to, say, 5.5m then they just have to make sure that before the season starts everyone is below that cap ceiling.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm surprised I haven't been able to tell by watching games, but what is considered a "long shift" for a line? I assume it's different for the defensemen rotations than for the forwards.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm surprised I haven't been able to tell by watching games, but what is considered a "long shift" for a line? I assume it's different for the defensemen rotations than for the forwards.

If you have time to pee and come back and the same players are on the ice, that was a long shift.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have gathered much from watching hockey to the point I understand a lot of the strategy, but two things have been bothering me and I'd rather ask you guys than google it.

1. What is a circus trip? Through its use I have guessed it is the longest road trip of the season? Is it a division trip where you can ride a lot of buses? Or is it the first long trip of the season?

2. I don't quite get how the "last shift" is important. It seems to me teams shift when they can, but last shift gets talked about like the coach has some control over and its somehow better at home? Why is this?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have gathered much from watching hockey to the point I understand a lot of the strategy, but two things have been bothering me and I'd rather ask you guys than google it.

1. What is a circus trip? Through its use I have guessed it is the longest road trip of the season? Is it a division trip where you can ride a lot of buses? Or is it the first long trip of the season?

2. I don't quite get how the "last shift" is important. It seems to me teams shift when they can, but last shift gets talked about like the coach has some control over and its somehow better at home? Why is this?
I can actually answer the first question!

The Circus trip is when literally the circus comes to the UC and kicks the Bulls and Hawks out for about a week or so. The schedulers usually send them out West during this time. It happens around this time every year so it is aptly named the annual Circus trip.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you have time to pee and come back and the same players are on the ice, that was a ling shift.
Corollary question...I know there are some moments where a line is not allowed to leave. What are these exact moments?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Corollary question...I know there are some moments where a line is not allowed to leave. What are these exact moments?

When you ice the puck, you are not allowed to change D pair or FWD line.

Only exception to that rule is if someone is injured, that player can leave the ice and be replaced by a fresh body but his linemates must remain on the ice.

I think Icing is the only situation where you are forced to keep your same D and FWDs on the ice while your opponent may change.