Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Stop clogging up the teaching thread with useless banter fucktards!

So, what should the next lesson be about?
How does Sharp's injury affect the line rotations? By now I do understand that Q likes to have a constant revolving set of of lines, but since Sharp is a key top 6 player, who's gonna be the primary guy stepping up in his absence, if that's how it works?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
changes

How does Sharp's injury affect the line rotations? By now I do understand that Q likes to have a constant revolving set of of lines, but since Sharp is a key top 6 player, who's gonna be the primary guy stepping up in his absence, if that's how it works?

That's simple revolving door policy anyway. Versteeg has played well in some games as of late so he likely can be a LW in the top 6. But it's still going to be a bunch of rotations with Saad, Smith, Morin, or Bickell.

The bigger replacement issue is with the powerplay. Do they simply play another Dman, and who would it be? TVR, Runblad, Oduya? Or do they move Hossa to the point again, or move Richards or Seabs with Keith to the first unit... there is many more questions than known answers for that spot. How they set up their plays may adjust from that too. A lot of times getting Sharp a shot with traffic around the net was the key attack of their PP. They may try to cycle higher and have Kane/Toews moving around more than the paces. It may lead to more of too much dangling around in the zone and less straight shooting at times.

Sent from my 20CDCTO1WW using Tapatalk

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That post reminds me...regarding power plays:

When you're the team with the advantage, is there a specific lineup you try to run with there or is it just whoever's there at the time?

When you're down a man, same question. I assume in this case you want more defensive players, but I know in the past the Hawks have been able to score points while down a man...as weird as that is.

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's the official term for this amalgam of traditional, and no-touch icing?

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

When you're the team with the advantage, is there a specific lineup you try to run with there or is it just whoever's there at the time?

When you're down a man, same question. I assume in this case you want more defensive players, but I know in the past the Hawks have been able to score points while down a man...as weird as that is.

Powerplays you generally have your most offensive guys on the ice, some of time you even have four forwards and only one defensivemen. When you're on the penalty kill, you're rarely looking to score... Your job is to kill the penalty off. Occasionally the team on the powerplay will get overly aggressive and a bad bounce of the puck or errant pass can lead to a break for the team on the PK. That's usually the only time you see shorthanded goals.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
What's the official term for this amalgam of traditional, and no-touch icing?

Like in every great sports scenario when you have no good term to describe a mix of ideas; use Hybrid, that's all it is as known as. Hybrid icing

Every team will always have their specific PowerPlay lineups. You'll have two units generally as for the Hawks, the last couple years their main 1st unit has been consistently Toews-Kane-Shaw-Keith-Sharp. Though a few years back you had a lot of rotating who was the 3rd forward before Shaw has maintained his spot for being so good at battling to screen goalies and at deflecting shots. Toews is quite good at doing it and several years ago he battled in front of the net more frequently on the PP but when he was having some injury issues including a concussion, they shifted to less of that happening and he can create so well around the edge of the net that it helps.

As far as for when you are down a skater, when you have elite two-way players that the Hawks have in Toews-Hossa, you're more likely to wind up with getting shorthanded goals. That helps them to be as dominant as they've been normally. Even in the past when Sharp and Bolland had lots of PK time, they were aggressive and good at playing fast which helped them get those goals.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Plus and minus is overrated. Score 4 powerplay goals and you don't get a plus. Get A 5 on 5 goal against you and your now a minus 1. Likewise. Give up 4 powerplay goals and score one while your on the ice, makes you a cute plus 1

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

I never realized you didn't get a plus for power play goals! I'm assuming then you don't get a minus when a pp goal is scored against you?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I never realized you didn't get a plus for power play goals! I'm assuming then you don't get a minus when a pp goal is scored against you?

That's correct.

But you do get a plus if you're on the ice when your team scores a SHG.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What are the official rules regarding fights in hockey?

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Herp a derp

Can someone give me a quick explanation of the NHL's salary cap? Basically, is it a hard cap or soft cap? What happens if you go over?

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dis why we had no choice but to trade Leddy
Yeah that makes sense.

Still crazy how the Hawks have compiled all this talent under the cap though.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I got a question about Crawford. Clearly he's not an awful goalkeeper, but he's not great either. What are his strengths and weaknesses? I suppose a corollary question is, what does a goalie do outside of saving every shot that makes him good? Or is it just pure block every shot and try to keep the rebounds to a minimum?

Crawford isn't great?

He's won a Cup and is arguably one of the top 3 goalies in the NHL this year.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Ah just what I needed, thanks!

Holy moly those are some huge penalties indeed.

All you need to know about how tough those penalties are is that no one has ever broken them. Penalties just too severe.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Crawford isn't great?

He's won a Cup and is arguably one of the top 3 goalies in the NHL this year.
My knowledge of hockey is far less than everyone else's. I said Crawford isn't great because my impression at the time was that he wasn't a top goalie. Perhaps goalies get nitpicked on or something, but based off of what I saw in the playoffs last year, Crawford wasn't playing like a top 3 goalie. Imo it seemed like Rask was outperforming him in that series (I also have no idea how good Rask is relative to the league).

That said, my impression could be wrong since my hockey knowledge is lacking.