The Teach Me About Hockey Thread

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
I think, no matter what position a player plays, if his name is on the Cup, he can tack on at least 1 million to his asking price/contract.

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
99% of the posts on this thread are about Crawford.

Knock it off and start teaching some hockey.
Double knot your laces, and put the foil on before every game.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Even Cullimore or Huet?

If not for the 1 game appearance by Ben Smith, He'd be much cheaper for the Hawks right now then eh? I was fine anointing Smith and letting him get the 1 game action and his name on the cup for his great role 2 years prior in the Canucks series. But I'm curious how many players have their names on the cups in similar or even less earned roles than what Smith did for the 2013 season.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think I've had my fill of Crawford teaching for now, thanks lol

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
Even Cullimore or Huet?

There are exceptions to everything, but as a general rule of thumb, yes. Huet got his money. He is also a Stanley Cup winner. He can say that and you can't deny it. Cullimore, Cup winner. Man is that odd.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Crow should also have a Conn Smythe trophy. Even Kane acknowledged that.
Agreed, but the Conn Smyth is much like any other "press-awarded" hardware, it's a popularity contest and usually goes away from the award's intent. Such are popularity contests.

Either way though, Hardware of any type will in general net a player an increase above the level for their "skill". It might not be millions but it would be considerable. Back in 2010/2011, I don't think Burish whould have netted anything above 1M unless he did get his name on the cup.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
I think, no matter what position a player plays, if his name is on the Cup, he can tack on at least 1 million to his asking price/contract.

While my name isn't on the Cup, there's many people in hockey circles in the US and quite a number in Canada who know of me and I've never been to Canada before. So, yeah I can definitely agree with this statement.

supraman

Liked Posts:
While my name isn't on the Cup, there's many people in hockey circles in the US and quite a number in Canada who know of me and I've never been to Canada before. So, yeah I can definitely agree with this statement.

Well I've won the Stanley Cup about a dozen times in the NHL video games so yeah I figured we were having a dick waving contest and didnt want to be left out

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Question on subs/line switches. Is it based off of apparent fatigue mostly or how well the line is doing? I know both obviously play a factor, but which one has more weight?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Question on subs/line switches. Is it based off of apparent fatigue mostly or how well the line is doing? I know both obviously play a factor, but which one has more weight?

Under normal circumstances a line change is based on shift length or matchup.... so lines will go out for a shift and when their time comes up the coaches will try to get them off for a new line so as to keep everyone fresh.... but sometimes you may have certain matchups you like or don't like.... if you see your 2nd line out there and their top scoring line comes out you may try to sub in a line that is better defensively and/or a better defensive pairing rather than get caught playing a bad matchup just because line 2's shift was not over.

It is all very much about judgement calls and a variety of information coming together all at once..... which is why you gotta have a good coach behind the bench....

Coach gotta know who is the best matchup and balance that with who is least fatigued and then balance that with the score/situation.... and when the puck is in play they gotta be making these decisions every 30-60 seconds on the fly.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One more random question

When the offense goes with 6 men (ie goalie comes out), how does that extra player get used? I assume this player is usually a very good offensive player. Defensively, if they mess up, how does covering the goal work?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One more random question

When the offense goes with 6 men (ie goalie comes out), how does that extra player get used? I assume this player is usually a very good offensive player. Defensively, if they mess up, how does covering the goal work?
I think it depends on the team. Some will put the extra player between the D on the point (i.e. the old "Rover" position). Some might have them play below the net or in front of the net and go with the other down loa, two on the half-boards and two on the point. I would assume that much like delayed penalty situations, it all goes into the team makeup and who exactly is going out.

In those empty-net positions, since it's usually an all-out push to get a goal, the best defense in that position is possession. Occasionally if there's time in the defensive end you'll see a guy near/in the crease attempting to block (usually rules for skaters in the crease apply, of course, like not covering the puck), but at the point where the goalie legs it it's all-out scramble for offense.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One more thing on going with 6 players offensively, other than "we really need to try to score right now or we will lose" situations, what other situations would do the pull the goalie thing?

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One more thing on going with 6 players offensively, other than "we really need to try to score right now or we will lose" situations, what other situations would do the pull the goalie thing?

None really, that about covers it.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:

On a delayed penalty, the goalie of the team about to get a power play will head to the bench for an extra skater as if the opposition gets possession of the puck the play is immediately whistled dead to announce the penalty.

Some coaches if they have an offensive zone faceoff with 4 seconds or less left in the period, might pull their goalie for a set face off play to try and score in the 4 seconds. Doesn't happen too much but will occasionally. Typically all the skaters will line up on the inside hash marks with only a single skater behind the center who, if the faceoff is won, will try and get the puck on net with the rest of the players crashing.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When are there delayed penalties vs regular penalties? There was one in the last Hawks game I watched (the one against Arizona) I think. I believe they went with 6 offensive guys in that situation too, coincidentally.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks for the correction Trev. I assumed he knew about delayed penalties.