Scott Darling as the backup goalie? (UPDATE: Never mind. Sent to Rockford.)

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Saw some people discussing this on Twitter today.

What do you think about the possibility that Raanta gets sent down to become the main goalie for the Ice Hogs and Scott Darling takes over the backup duties for Crawford?

He's given up just two goals in two games and those were both shorthanded goals that I have a hard time faulting him for.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Keeping Darling as tge backup is the obvious move at this point. Who knows if Raanta will ever pan out, but he needs his development time on the Icehogs, not the parent club.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Keeping Darling as tge backup is the obvious move at this point. Who knows if Raanta will ever pan out, but he needs his development time on the Icehogs, not the parent club.

Why does Raanta need development but Darling doesn't? Raanta is the more highly touted prospect at this point but I would say the both of them need development.

I don't know who will be the back up in one week or at the end of the year...but people are putting waaay too much stock into two games for Darling, especially considering 99.99% of fans had no idea who Darling was before this year. Sure, he could be the real deal but I would tell fans to settle down and just let things pan out a little. Whatever happens happens. Hell...I may be in favor of letting Leighton be the backup for the Blackhawks and letting Raanta/Darling both get time in the AHL.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Guy is absolutely huge, and moves pretty well for a big guy. Not a bad thing to have this many options.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Guy is absolutely huge, and moves pretty well for a big guy. Not a bad thing to have this many options.

This. Want to see more of Darling for sure, but love what I've seen so far.

Liked Posts:
Scott darling has been putting up promising numbers as a goalie in the minors. Goalies really don't become NHL ready until their mid 20s. Tbh its the most important position on a team and a great goalie is equal to having an elite qb. Darling has the make up of being great. the guy is 6'6" and has skinny guy mobility. Goalie might be a strength this year! Imagine if Darling becomes a top 5 nhl goalie...... mmmmm I can see it now....... Derrick Rose from the city and Scott Darling from the burbs, winning rings left and right for the Bulls and Hawks. Ermahgerd

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Darling was sent down to Rockford today, so never mind that.

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I think he's gonna be a good one eventually, let him get all the PT in Rockford right now. Work on the 5 hole.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah....groom Darling to be a starter in Rockford. Let Raanta stay on the back-up path. He is skilled but small. He also has a shutout on the year.

Glad we have them both given Crawford's injury prone a little. I like all 3 just fine, but Darling is showing serious upside in Rockford as well. 1.88 ga I think.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I liked Darling but I noticed when he blocked shots he seemed a bit slow at getting back in to position.... couple times someone would shoot and get their own rebound and then take it around the net and Darling looked a step slow getting back up and going post to post.

Maybe that is just cause of his size, but it could be a flaw teams exploit.