Cubs should sign Sandoval

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Yankees want him and got money.

Ain't happening....plus what do you do with Bryant?

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Yankees want him and got money.

Ain't happening....plus what do you do with Bryant?

Well I mean he only hit .280 last season so it's not like he's gonna get $20 mil a year. I think it will be a reasonable contract and not everyone wants to go to NY. Maybe he'd rather be part of something special in Chicago and play for Maddon.

You can still bring Bryant up and tag team them for a while to see how he does. If he's tearing it up, find another position for him.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Well I mean he only hit .280 last season so it's not like he's gonna get $20 mil a year. I think it will be a reasonable contract and not everyone wants to go to NY. Maybe he'd rather be part of something special in Chicago and play for Maddon.

You can still bring Bryant up and tag team them for a while to see how he does. If he's tearing it up, find another position for him.

Masahiro Tanaka didn't want to take less to 'be a part of something special.' He got paid.

Panda was seeking a Hunter Pence deal back in April (5 years, 90 mil), and now he's going to get more. So unless he had a moral and financial epiphany, can't see him taking less to what we consider 'moderate.'

If the Cubs do make a shot at Sandoval, I'm not saying its impossible--but he will get over 20 mil a year. But you're right, he's not a 20 mil a year player.

Can Bryant play catcher? That's a position I want to see major overhaul in.....

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Masahiro Tanaka didn't want to take less to 'be a part of something special.' He got paid.

Panda was seeking a Hunter Pence deal back in April (5 years, 90 mil), and now he's going to get more. So unless he had a moral and financial epiphany, can't see him taking less to what we consider 'moderate.'

If the Cubs do make a shot at Sandoval, I'm not saying its impossible--but he will get over 20 mil a year. But you're right, he's not a 20 mil a year player.

Can Bryant play catcher? That's a position I want to see major overhaul in.....

I had mentioned this earlier in the month, but the free agent that they pick up will dictate where Bryant goes. If the Cubs feel Headley or Sandoval can man 3B, then Bryant goes to left.

It would still be the Cubs picking up a free agent, and frankly, I view Markakis and Headley about the same as far as steadiness and consistency, and Headley makes the most sense because he and Bryant can play the same position if needed to.

He would also fit well in the 2-hole.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I can't imagine they would even consider signing a FA 3rd baseman. That would really surprise me.

They have Bryant penciled in there in 2015.

If he goes to LF, Baez is a possibility.

When Russell comes up, Castro is a possibility.

They have Valbuena still, and dare I say Mike Olt. (Ok, Ok....but they still own him.) Why on earth would they not only sign a 3rd baseman, but "buy high"?

I can't see it. They could use an OF, they could upgrade at C. And they need pitching.

Infield? I doubt it.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I can't imagine they would even consider signing a FA 3rd baseman. That would really surprise me.

They have Valbuena still, and dare I say Mike Olt. (Ok, Ok....but they still own him.) Why on earth would they not only sign a 3rd baseman, but "buy high"?

I can't see it. They could use an OF, they could upgrade at C. And they need pitching.

Infield? I doubt it.

Valbuena is horrible though.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

Infield? I doubt it.

An impact bat of some sort is key. And to be LH would be even better for balance.

Headley brings a lot to the table, and he has played LF before and like I said, they could put him at 3B, and Coghlan could play LF until Bryant arrives.

Personally, I would rather have a steady proven 3B'man than an unproven professional who has not played an inning of major league ball yet. Not to say that Bryant can't succeed, but I remember one Albert Pujols bouncing around at 3B and LF before he found a home. If Bryant does struggle, where do you go from there? You may have a struggling Alcantara, Baez, and Bryant.

Bryant still has growing pains like others do, and guys like Headley can stave off some of the teams ups and downs that the young players will go through. Castro, Rizzo, and Headley would be good veterans, and they might be able to play the hotter hand at lead-off between Alcantara, and Coghlan.

One other thing worth noting is Headley is a switch hitter and so is Alcantara, so you have a little more room to not have to sub players in and out in pitching situations.

Just my thoughts.

Six

Liked Posts:
NO. Last I checked, Jim Hendry is gone. Why in the world would you disregard the youth movement, and the top prospect in baseball, to overpay for a guy who's been underachieving his whole career(Headley). And why would you even dream of paying 20 mil for a fat, 280 hitting 3rd basement(panda). The idea here is to at sometime field a lineup of :
1b-riz
2b-baez
ss-russell
3b-bryant
C-Swarber
lf-soler
cf-alcantara
rf-almora

would that lineup get you excited? murderers row 2

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Sandoval is a fine player but i don't think it's gonna happen. For one, other teams have more pressing need for him than the cubs. For good or bad they seem pretty set on Bryant at 3B. For two, is he really better than what Valbuena gave the cubs?

Sandoval - .279/.324/.415
Valbuena - .249/.341/.435

Both had 16 homers. Valbuena had far few RBI's but that's hardly his fault. Cubs were pretty terrible at getting on base.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
NO. Last I checked, Jim Hendry is gone. Why in the world would you disregard the youth movement, and the top prospect in baseball, to overpay for a guy who's been underachieving his whole career(Headley). And why would you even dream of paying 20 mil for a fat, 280 hitting 3rd basement(panda). The idea here is to at sometime field a lineup of :
1b-riz
2b-baez
ss-russell
3b-bryant
C-Swarber
lf-soler
cf-alcantara
rf-almora

SilenceS, is this you trolling again?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
1b-riz
2b-baez
ss-russell
3b-bryant
C-Swarber
lf-soler
cf-alcantara
rf-almora

Somehow you left Castro, a proven 3 time All Star, out of the lineup.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
1b-riz
2b-baez
ss-russell
3b-bryant
C-Swarber
lf-soler
cf-alcantara
rf-almora

Who is disregarding the youth movement. To say that the Cubs will have every prospect become major league players and start for the Cubs is nearly impossible, like it or not.

Also, the FO has stated the desire to compete in 2015. They have also stated the desire to add veteran presence. Bryant does not do any of that since he hasn't played a single game yet.

To idly sit by and not make any roster moves to a team that won 73 games in 2014, and to expect them just to flip the switch and improve drastically in 2015 to contend is nearly impossible, and bringing two starters isn't going to add that amount either considering the Cubs would have to replace Shark and Hammel just to get back the rotation they had last year because they may add Hendricks, but possibly lose Wada.

The idea is to add enough players to compete while the kids go through their ups and downs. Look what happened to Castro and Rizzo before they started figuring things out, and both could easily regress next year. It happens.

That's why you make moves. Watch and see what happens this off-season.