Hypothetically: What Do The Cubs Need To Contend In 2015?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
what do they have to do to contend. dont forget the only guys that have a proven positive career are rizzo and castro (minus the stupidity on defense)

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
It starts with pitching. A TOR pitcher to add to Arrieta is a must. Hammel would fit in well as a return starter too.

After that, and on other posts I have suggested how I would like Chase Headley.

Those three and a reliever (LH) might be enough to at least have them in a buying position at the deadline if some of the things with a couple of the youngsters go right, where they might be able to land a starter or bullpen help if it's needed, or even an upgrade in CF or at catcher at the deadline.

Lets get the manager position settled first.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Define contend. Contend for the playoffs? Contend for the WS? An above average LF, Lester, rebound/emergence of Wood/Jackson/Turner/Doubront, average play out of 2B/CF/RF probably doesn't get you to the 88 wins for wild card. You'd need all that plus all star level play out of Soler and at least one of Alcantara/Bryant/Baez.

Here's how I came to that conclusion but as some feel i'm a bit long winded while others like it I'll leave it in spoiler tags.

The great thing about WAR is it is essentially designed for this question. Whether or not one believes in it is another matter but at 73 wins the cubs were 15 wins short of the 88 wins it takes to make the wild card this year. The got the following fWAR out of the various positions

C - 0.9(Castillo 2.2, Whiteside -0.3, Rafael Lopez 0.0, Baker -1.0)
1B - 5.7(Rizzo 5.6, Valaika 0.1)
2B - 1.1(Bonifacio 1.9, Barney 0.4, Watkins -0.4, Baez -0.8)
SS - 2.9(Castro)
3B - 2.1(Valbuena 2.7, Olt -0.6)
LF - 0.4(Coghlan 2.2, Kalish -0.8, Lake -1)
CF - 0.5(Ruggiano 0.4, Alcantara 0.2, Sweeney 0.0, Szczur -0.1)
RF - -0.2(Soler 0.7, Schierholtz - 0.9)

SP - 12.9(Arrieta 4.9, Samardzija 2.0, Hammel 2.0, Hendricks 1.5, Wood 1, Wada 0.8, Jackson 0.5, Villanueva 0.3, Beeler 0.1, Doubront 0.0, Turner -0.1, Jokisch -0.1)
RP - 4.5(Rondon 1.5, Strop 1, Villanueva 0.8, Ramirez 0.8, Grimm, 0.6, Schlitter 0.2, Wright 0.2, Parker 0.1, Turner/Rusin/Straily/Baker/Jackson/Fujikawa/Jokisch/Vizcaino 0, Rosscup -0.1, Russell -0.2, Veras -0.3)

As an example, the Royals got 22.6 fWAR out of their hitters and 18.8 fWAR out of their pitching. The 2014 cubs were at 13.4 and 17.5 respectively. So, you're talking about a difference of 10.5 fWAR. I'd be hesitant to predict Rizzo and Arrieta matching their performance because neither has a huge track record. I think both can be good but this same level, I'm not so sure. That being said, the cubs had their entire OF and 2B at below average. C was sort of as well but that was mainly just Baker dragging Castillo down. An average Alcantara/Soler in CF/RF would be +3.7 wins. An average 2B is another +0.9. I'm not one to have a ton of faith in Baez but worst case you're still talking about Bryant at 3B and Valbuena moving over to 2B. So, assuming they replace baker with a replacement level catcher rather than a below replacement level you're talking about +5.6 wins of low hanging fruit on offense without going too crazy on projecting Soler, Baez, Alcantara, and Bryant to play well.

The bullpen should really be changed much as the only real "losses" are Villanueva and Russell which is kinda meh. The starters obviously lost 4 wins of Shark/Hammel. If we assume the cubs land Lester which is the speculation he was a 6.3 fWAR pitcher. Conservatively let's use his 2013 of 4.3 fWAR instead. He'd essentially offset the loss of those two. It's a bit cloudy from there. Arrieta might fall back some but given how good he was I don't think it will be that huge. However, 3-5 is a giant question mark. I'm a big Hendricks believer and I was that prior to the season. Conservatively, I think he can be a 2.5 win pitcher. Wood had a horrible year but I don't think he's that bad. I think he can be a 2 win pitcher pretty safely and if not him i think someone can step up and give you that be it Jackson figure out what the hell he used to be, Turner taking a step forward, Doubront....etc. If we conservatively call that 15 wins for SP you're talking a +2.1.

If we add up those you're at +7.7 of the 15 wins they were short of the wild card. Let's call a better manager in Maddon +2.3 wins giving you an even 10. But keep in mind that's just to get to the Royals level this year and they barely squeeked in.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Beckdawg,

Love the analysis but again WAR has no direct correlation to Team Victories.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Liked the fWAR break down. I still believe it would take in F/A's Lester, Peavy and Cabrera. After that they would have to get avg to above avg production from Castro, Rizzo, Soler and Bryant. Alcantara would have to hit around .260 and Baez would be just bonus points. If he figures it out he alone could power this team.

Pitching:
Lester, Arrieta and Peavy would be a solid 1-3. 4-5 I would run with Wood and Hendricks. Doubront and Turner I would turn into MR.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
2 Pitchers

Some Bullpen guys who can throw 100

The Young Guys to Play well

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
2 Pitchers

Some Bullpen guys who can throw 100

The Young Guys to Play well

We dont need bullpen guys. We have Strop, Rondon, Grimm, Vizcaino, Riverio, and a couple of others that throw 95 plus. The Cubs have a lot of power pitchers for the pen in the minors.

greg23

Liked Posts:
1) Joe Maddon

2) Jon Lester (not interested in trading for hammels)

3) Peavy/Hammel/Liriano/etc.....2nd tier starter

4) left handed hitting 3b/lf (pref on a 1-2 year contract to figure out where the prospects fit, otherwise someone will need to be traded)

5) left handed hitting complimentary hitting catcher (hate him but pierzinsky is a fit)

6) castro/Rizzo to continue their 2014 success

7) performance of at least avg major league players (baez, alcantara, soler, Bryant)

8) addtl lh reliever

it's a long list but not that far-fetched .......88 wins seems to be the magic # to find a 2nd wild card spot (and hovering around .500 into mid-august is all that's needed to have that as an opportunity)......the one concern I have is that the team/prospects seem to be littered with low obp guys; maybe soler. Bryant, Rizzo the exception but they are middle of the order hitters no real obp guys at the top of the lineup

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
1) Joe Maddon

2) Jon Lester (not interested in trading for hammels)

3) Peavy/Hammel/Liriano/etc.....2nd tier starter

4) left handed hitting 3b/lf (pref on a 1-2 year contract to figure out where the prospects fit, otherwise someone will need to be traded)

5) left handed hitting complimentary hitting catcher (hate him but pierzinsky is a fit)

6) castro/Rizzo to continue their 2014 success

7) performance of at least avg major league players (baez, alcantara, soler, Bryant)

8) addtl lh reliever

it's a long list but not that far-fetched .......88 wins seems to be the magic # to find a 2nd wild card spot (and hovering around .500 into mid-august is all that's needed to have that as an opportunity)......the one concern I have is that the team/prospects seem to be littered with low obp guys; maybe soler. Bryant, Rizzo the exception but they are middle of the order hitters no real obp guys at the top of the lineup
Great post. :clap:

Six

Liked Posts:
could get shark back, I'd like lester, shark, arrieta, peavy and hendricks. Im not a huge fan of wood.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
1) Total progression and little to no regression from the young-ins. The most unlikely scenario.

2) Sign Jon Lester, Russell Martin, Francisco Liriano, and Nick Markakis.

3) Don't try to fix what ain't broken, and don't get too cute. IE--Starlin Castro's plate approach/the idiotic desire to try and make a 'hack at pitches over the plate' mentality work a count. And now that Maddon is about to be here, don't send your line up anchor/premier hitter to try and steal second base in order to be cute/"think outside the box."

4) Catch fire when it counts.

5) Win 1 run games.

6) Win the easy games you shouldn't lose.

7) Make the best offer to Kenta Maeda and his people/club/agent if he gets posted.

8) If you do hire Ozzie, for the love of god, let him talk to the media.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Get John Lackey to pitch for them for $510,000 like the Cardinals are doing

geez, I hate the Cardinals

geez, I admire the Cardinals

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mark Buehrle, Ozzie Guillen, and DewsSox

are you talking about our ex manager and ex pitcher who have chicago world series championship rings? just curious

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk