A new way to think about line combinations

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I'm not going to post this whole story as you should click on the link and read it yourself. Which you can do here.

But this article suggests it may be time to reconsider the notion of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines. Found it interesting.

For much of hockey’s history, teams have really had two scoring lines, a checking line, and a line of, well, scrubs, to be honest. Not every team every season, but a lot of teams.

The Blackhawks are not those other teams. They have not been those other teams for a little while now and we need to catch up to the times. Yes, Chicago had Brandon Bollig last season and Dan Carcillo this season so many will think I am full of hot air on this topic, but it really is true. When you look at the possession stats those players have put up with Chicago and their penalty minutes, you will realize they have not been used as typical enforcers. Despite having a player or two on the roster that seem to fit the enforcer or grinder role, the Blackhawks roster is built to cast aside the old notions of the way hockey teams are constructed. Due to this change in the way the team is made, we need to change the way we look at the forward lines.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I may not know much about hockey, but thanks to the Teach Me About Hockey thread, I did know about the traditional definition of lines. I actually like this one better as it wants to maximize each player's strengths and minimize their weaknesses. That is how any sport should be played imo.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great article. I appreciate it.

Our lines are befuddling because Richards couldn't come in and claim the 2C like myself and most expected. I would like to see these lines, and Bickell always seems better with Toews and can protect him physically, and in a way Toews protects Bickell's mistakes.

Toews-Bickell-Hossa
Saad-Shaw-Kane
Kruger-Smith-Carcillo
Richards-Versteeg-Sharp

what about this?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Great article. I appreciate it.

Our lines are befuddling because Richards couldn't come in and claim the 2C like myself and most expected. I would like to see these lines, and Bickell always seems better with Toews and can protect him physically, and in a way Toews protects Bickell's mistakes.

Toews-Bickell-Hossa
Saad-Shaw-Kane
Kruger-Smith-Carcillo
Richards-Versteeg-Sharp

what about this?

Still want to see Kane with Richards for an extended period of time. Want to see it proven on the ice that it wouldn't work.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know why I even think about it, Q just loves to mix it up and make sure everyone can play well with everyone. When our backs are against the wall and a series is on the line, we end up seeing

Kane-Toews-Bickell
Hossa-Richards-Sharp
Saad-Shaw-Smith
Versteeg-Kruger-Carcillo

or thats my prediction anyway. Tuevo might wrinkle that.

nick.santangelo.9

Liked Posts:
Still want to see Kane with Richards for an extended period of time. Want to see it proven on the ice that it wouldn't work.

I don't know why Q won't try this. I get coming out of camp having him and shaw together but it's not working anymore. Time to try them out together.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I sincerely think that Richards is close to breaking out with the Hawks. You can tell the guy is smart and has skill. I think that it takes time for hockey players to mesh together and Richards is the new kid on the block. He will make a good difference pretty soon.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I sincerely think that Richards is close to breaking out with the Hawks. You can tell the guy is smart and has skill. I think that it takes time for hockey players to mesh together and Richards is the new kid on the block. He will make a good difference pretty soon.
thank you for your patience and trying to help. He is 1 accident that leads to break away goal though from me flipping my shit. He has drawn my ire a couple times and gets the stink eye every time he touches it. Seems in slow motion, maybe too much to think about with new teammates and systems.

I will try to remain hopeful and trust you are probably right, chemistry must be huge in hockey, almost as huge as BBall.