Bulls should be the Eastern Conference favorites

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
While I agree that the Bulls match up with the Cavs well, I think you need to hold your horses. Even if we beat them tonight, I wouldn't get too crazy. Playoff basketball is a totally different ball game

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
While I agree that the Bulls match up with the Cavs well, I think you need to hold your horses. Even if we beat them tonight, I wouldn't get too crazy. Playoff basketball is a totally different ball game
:yep: 2011 proved that.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
:yep: 2011 proved that.

Exactly. I thought the Bulls were going to steam roll the Heat, especially after we beat them by 20 in game one. I was acting crazy and proclaiming that the Bulls had taken the Heat's souls lol

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Exactly. I thought the Bulls were going to steam roll the Heat, especially after we beat them by 20 in game one. I was acting crazy and proclaiming that the Bulls had taken the Heat's souls lol

That team... Offensively was 1 dimensional. This one isn't.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
A lot of us were. I thought if the Bulls took Game 2 too they'd win the series, but after that 1st Q in Game 2 they kinda died. Rose blew Game 4.. and Game 5 was just a total team collapse at the end there.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That team... Offensively was 1 dimensional. This one isn't.

Okay? You're still jumping the gun. Its nice that you believe the Bulls can do it, but still have a little bit a caution, especially with history NOT on your side.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
A lot of us were. I thought if the Bulls took Game 2 too they'd win the series, but after that 1st Q in Game 2 they kinda died. Rose blew Game 4.. and Game 5 was just a total team collapse at the end there.

Yeah, after game 1 that series was a mess. I will never again get too far ahead of myself when it come to the Bulls playing LeBron

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Okay? You're still jumping the gun. Its nice that you believe the Bulls can do it, but still have a little bit a caution, especially with history NOT on your side.
To be fair, only the Spurs really have history on their side in terms of beating Lebron. Obviously every team needs to have caution with regards to expectations, but I see what you're getting at with the whole injury thing.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
To be fair, only the Spurs really have history on their side in terms of beating Lebron. Obviously every team needs to have caution with regards to expectations, but I see what you're getting at with the whole injury thing.
If we could trust Rose to stay healthy, I do think this is the Bulls best chance to beat LeBron's team. At this point we cannot trust Rose to stay healthy. We also have other guys who have been plagued by injuries (Noah) and Gasol is 34.. so he's has a higher risk of injury. Meanwhile Cleveland has a bunch of young pups.

So yes, the Spurs have history on their side and they are an old veteran team, mix in with some young blood (Leonard) and they had the perfect balance to beat LeBron (And probably even more so now). The Bulls are experienced themselves, but not as a unit yet. That'll come with time this season. Again there's reason to be optimistic, but definitely be cautious.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In fairness to the optimists, the Cavs young pups haven't exactly been models of health either. Kyrie seems to have a major injury every year and Love has had his fair share of injuries too. Granted, neither had huge season ending injuries like Rose did, and especially not 2 seasons in a row.

As a fair question though, what if Rose had torn his meniscus after like halfway through the season? How would that change people's perspective of the injury? As we know, a meniscus tear isn't truly a huge life changing injury like an ACL tear might be. Several players have torn it and come back fine. It's just that very few have torn it in the beginning of the season, and when you choose the long recovery route (for better long term health so you don't end up like Wade), I think it may make the injury seem worse than it is.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
In fairness to the optimists, the Cavs young pups haven't exactly been models of health either. Kyrie seems to have a major injury every year and Love has had his fair share of injuries too. Granted, neither had huge season ending injuries like Rose did, and especially not 2 seasons in a row.

As a fair question though, what if Rose had torn his meniscus after like halfway through the season? How would that change people's perspective of the injury? As we know, a meniscus tear isn't truly a huge life changing injury like an ACL tear might be. Several players have torn it and come back fine. It's just that very few have torn it in the beginning of the season, and when you choose the long recovery route (for better long term health so you don't end up like Wade), I think it may make the injury seem worse than it is.
What makes it different for Rose is he is coming off an ACL tear and then tore his meniscus. The meniscus is not a career ending injury by any means, but an ACL is usually career altering. A player of Rose's magnitude tear his ACL since Benard King did in 1985. Now medical science has changed a TON since then and players can come back easier. Baron Davis tore his in college and had a good NBA career. David West tore his before signing with the Pacers and became quite a productive player there. So there is hope that Rose can get back to star form. Just the meniscus tear was another dart to the heart in the fact of Rose getting back to game speed. Perhaps those injuries are over now, but that is three straight seasons of injuries for Rose. The fact he is so young should help make the ACL a non-factor.

But he's proven injury prone for 3 seasons now, so that's why there is a lot of caution on my part to what Rose may become. We don't need him to be an MVP of the league again, but we do need him to be our MVP.

And to address your point of Cleveland injuries. Thats very fair. Irving hasn't stayed healthy and Love has nagging injuries often. Last year Love managed to play 77 games, the year before he played 18 after suffering a hand injury. Irving managed to play 71 last season, but played under 60 his first two seasons. His injuries are always foot and hand related.

So who knows. Both players seem to hit their healthiest last season. They could be over their mishaps. Rose could be too. It's a we'll wait and see approach as usual. But after 1 game, I can't make any conclusions, and I guess that is what my whole point is.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:

Well in fairness, a lot of people have no clue about the human body so any knee injury is going to seem catastrophic. Rose took the right route with the long recovery process IMO. & The reason (if I'm not mistaken) he tore his Meniscus was because he came back too early from a hamstring injury last year. That's never a good thing, when the hammy is hurt the body starts putting stress elsewhere (almost always the knees) for the Hamstring to recover

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
What makes it different for Rose is he is coming off an ACL tear and then tore his meniscus. The meniscus is not a career ending injury by any means, but an ACL is usually career altering. A player of Rose's magnitude tear his ACL since Benard King did in 1985. Now medical science has changed a TON since then and players can come back easier. Baron Davis tore his in college and had a good NBA career. David West tore his before signing with the Pacers and became quite a productive player there. So there is hope that Rose can get back to star form. Just the meniscus tear was another dart to the heart in the fact of Rose getting back to game speed. Perhaps those injuries are over now, but that is three straight seasons of injuries for Rose. The fact he is so young should help make the ACL a non-factor.

But he's proven injury prone for 3 seasons now, so that's why there is a lot of caution on my part to what Rose may become. We don't need him to be an MVP of the league again, but we do need him to be our MVP.

And to address your point of Cleveland injuries. Thats very fair. Irving hasn't stayed healthy and Love has nagging injuries often. Last year Love managed to play 77 games, the year before he played 18 after suffering a hand injury. Irving managed to play 71 last season, but played under 60 his first two seasons. His injuries are always foot and hand related.

So who knows. Both players seem to hit their healthiest last season. They could be over their mishaps. Rose could be too. It's a we'll wait and see approach as usual. But after 1 game, I can't make any conclusions, and I guess that is what my whole point is.

Yeah, I'm going to be cautious as hell when it comes to Rose. I was so confident last year that he'd be fine. I'm optimistically proceeding with caution lol

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well in fairness, a lot of people have no clue about the human body so any knee injury is going to seem catastrophic. Rose took the right route with the long recovery process IMO. & The reason (if I'm not mistaken) he tore his Meniscus was because he came back too early from a hamstring injury last year. That's never a good thing, when the hammy is hurt the body starts putting stress elsewhere (almost always the knees) for the Hamstring to recover
It might be safe to say that Lockout really screwed him up. Nagging injuries all through 2011-12, then the catastrophic ACL tear.. then I feel like his body was out of whack after coming back from that. He may finally be where he needs to be. We'll see though. He made it through the whole summer without complaining about anything being tight.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
It might be safe to say that Lockout really screwed him up. Nagging injuries all through 2011-12, then the catastrophic ACL tear.. then I feel like his body was out of whack after coming back from that. He may finally be where he needs to be. We'll see though. He made it through the whole summer without complaining about anything being tight.

We can definitely hope that's the case. He's looked good through preseason and looked good against the Knicks (physically, I'm talking about) so hopefully he can stay healthy this year

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hard to say one way or another what caused what. He also took a different mentality to his rehab and comeback this year compared to last so that may play a factor. He himself said that last year he tried to come back as MVP Rose like nothing ever happened. This year, he's dialing it back a little.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The last two years Rose being Rose was season ending injuries to his knee. We weren't fine.

Rose is not favoring either knee. He was favoring one when injuring the other-over working/compensating, helping him to injure the 2nd knee.

Now he is using both legs equally, showing no reservation with them.

Last edited:

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

It appears to me that Rose is playing cautiously like he still is concerned about the knee.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I really can't believe that the team we rolled over easily in the opener beat the Cavs yesterday.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I've been thinking this all along. It's going to be like year 1 in Miami, although now the Bulls are a much better team. The Cavs will be much better as the season progresses but I'd still take the Bulls as long as no major injuries occur