I guess it takes me a little longer to lose faith..

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most people here wouldn't be here if they didn't have faith. Or some sort of psychological disorder. Or both.

Bears fans have put up with a lot of shit teams over the years. This is particularly disappointing because we are supposed to be in to year two of an offensive mind and QB "whisperer". And, right now, it looks like a major clusterfuck. I think things can get better. My fear is what has been talked about before, that the Bears "rally" to a 8-9 win season and miss the playoffs but give (some) people hope for next year and nothing changes or improves.

Oddly the only time I spent a lot of time on the Packer board was when the Packers were struggling.

Forever500

Liked Posts:
Somebody finally said it outright and if the current trend continues it'll be very hard to argue with. Unless something changes, the Trestman hire will look very much like a downgrade.

Lovie was often clueless, but I don't think he every had the idea that one phase of the team was less important than the other. We now have a coach whose philosophy is to build up one phase (offense) to carry the team. What many don't realize is that the special teams decisions are much worse than what's happening with the defense. I didn't look it up, but I wonder what the avg starting field position after a kick-off is. It seems to me that they are coming out of the endzone far too many times, and I see very few punt returns that happen without some type of penalty. Part of that is the failure to set the roster during the pre-season. It simply should not have taken 6 weeks into the season to solidify the special teams and get a returner in. The defense is not worth discussing at this point because it should be obvious to everyone. It's no wonder the team is currently in the state it's in.

To answer your field position question, they are the 27th ranked team in avg starting position

Making Jay drive 80 every time isn't good

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Emery has gotten one impact player in the draft in three years. We have gotten older since he arrived and were already old. His free agents are going bust. He gave Cutler a big deal. He hired Marc Trestman. The Bears are bottom ten on offense, bottom five on defense, and bottom five in special teams.

Emery is a complete joke and no NFL team will make the playoffs with him as GM.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Exactly. Bears are 14th in total offense. That isn't good, especially with our personnel, but calling that disaster is a little harsh. I feel people underestimate the injuries to our O-line and WR's. Marshall and Jeffery not 100% virtually all season, our #3WR out for the year, our #2 TE out for the year. Missing our LT for a big stretch, etc.

A little above middle of the pack isn't a disaster, its a disappointment. Some fans don't know the difference.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Emery has gotten one impact player in the draft in three years. .

Kyle Long = impact player.
Alshon Jeffrey = impact player.
Kyle Fuller = impact player.

Liked Posts:
As much as we hate it, sometimes it takes a team a good 3 years to cleanse the system. And most GM's wlll give a guy 3 seasons to prove himself. So I would guess that Trestman will get another shot and we probably fire Tucker.

If we had a GM and President that really cared about the long term health of the Bears, they would go after Jim Harbaugh with everything they got. Meet all his demands no matter what. He's a guy that might be confrontational but you stay out of the way and let him coach football, pay him big money and try to keep him here and make him a Chicago Bears coaching legend.

Then cleanse the damn system already. I wouldn't call a GM coming into an organization after Angelo was fired, keeping the HC for a year just for that to fail, then a year later, hiring some hippie guru from the CFL to try & sell it as an under the radar find, while keeping the same defensive scheme with a shitty DC, just for that to fail. Then another year later try to switch to a different defensive scheme, only for that to also stink under the same shitty DC. All the while keeping & overpaying, a second time, for the prior GM's mistake at QB, with a mind boggling contract while holding onto players like Briggs, & busts like McClellin when there are clearly better options right here on the roster.

I'm all for being patient for 5-6 years with a new GM building up a franchise/roster from scratch with his own QB from the draft & a new coaching staff. But this is no cleansing, This is a clunker with a fresh paintjob from the chop shop.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
in the Bears organization than a 3-5 start.

What is the most important thing to any football team?

It is the ability to draft impact talent.

Emery is 2 of 3 on 1st rounders and 2 of 3 on 2nd rounders (that assumes Bostic won't make it). That is good enough to be very competitive in this league.

Trestman may not be the guy, but I am not willing to say he can't coach in this league yet. He set the Bears offense on fire last year, and I feel the injuries to the offensive line have really stunted the Bears growth this season (Bears have +50% more sacks this year than the same point last year).

Tucker is worthless, and Trestman deserves blame for keeping him around a second season. I feel there is still a learning curve for Trestman coming from the CFL. While many dismiss this, I think there is possibility for improvement. Sharp offensive minds don't come around alot in the NFL, and while the Bears offense hasn't looked that potent so far this year, people easily forget how well they played last year.

The Bears are down. No doubt about it. But Emery has shown a good track record in the early rounds which is the most important thing for a franchise. Maybe the fans thought their team was better than it was (Vegas had us at 8-8) and didn't realize that the worst defense in the league could only get so much better in 1 offseason.

Playoff hopes aside, maybe it takes one more draft to sure up our secondary and get a good pass rusher. Maybe Trestman needs to make some adjustments to what the league is doing to us.

I just see alot of good things in this franchise. Emery can draft. A good DC can help Trestman tremendously. The immediate future may look a little bleak for the bears, but I feel the long term future is bright.

d-o.gif

EmeryStein

Liked Posts:
He's making far too many roster gambles that aren't paying off. Last year he gambled that he had enough depth on the DL to get through the season; he didn't. This year he thought he could address the DL and gamble that he had enough depth at LB and in the secondary combined with more pass rush to make it through the season; he didn't. And the less said about special teams the better. It's one thing to have to gamble at a single position, all GMs have to do that because of cap considerations, but Emery is habitually gambling with entire units.

As far as the Dline this year Emery did try and get Bennett, who most fans wanted. He did go out and get Young, Houston, and Allen. Not too many others out there who would have made an impact. You would of though that the addition of those three as well as drafting Sutton and FUrgeson along with a healthy Pea and Ratliff would be an upgrade. At some point you have to look at the Coaches, like Tucker, to put them in a position to succeed. Its not like these guys all started sucking all of a sudden.

Liked Posts:
Lol...see Cowboys offensive line specifically Zack Martin if you think a guard isn't an impact player.

SouthSida773

Liked Posts:
Will Jay Cutler still be on the team? Then we have no chance.. Period

Chinese

Liked Posts:
I can't believe someone mentioning Bortles stats against a QB who has started 9 years. I will say that the top 3 QB drafted 2 or 3 years ago have outperformed Cutlers best year overall the year they first played . That being Luck ,Wilson and RGIII.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CubbyBear2290

Graham Dougie=UNBEATABLE!
Liked Posts:
Seriously DJ, what should the Bears have done at QB this offseason?

Bortles has 6TDs to 13 picks, and the Bears would have had to traded up to get him. Manziel is sitting the bench in Cleveland and Bridgewater has 2 TDs and 5 picks.

Cutler may not be a great QB, but he has thrown 17TDs and 8 picks. That is alot better than anyone else they could have brought in when done. Did they overpay? Maybe. But in a thin market you don't get rid of a talented QB. Not everybody gets an Aaron Rogers.

Still to early to call Trestman a failure. He is 11-13. Lovie is 1-6 in Tampa and his team is completely lost.

Emery is going nowhere. And if Trestman and a new DC can't get the team to the playoffs next year, then Emery will get a 2nd head coach, just like most NFL GMs get.

Lovie promoted Mike Tice to be the OC of the Bears. There are fewer more colossal coaching fuck-ups than that. At least Tucker was a DC somewhere else first.

I'm gonna take issue w/ this because the biggest jump under a new regime is supposed to be seen in the 2nd year. Especially offensively with all 11 damn starters returning. He's 8-13 in his last 21. Or something along those lines. Emery does deserve a 2nd hire. I'd agree with that.

But if this team, with this talent, with the defense that is where everyone said it needed to be in order to be super bowl contenders with the "high powered, high flying" offense (that averages what 21 (?) a game) finishes 5-11 or 6-10 I'm not sure Emery will be left w/ much of a choice than to fire Trestman.

His game planning sucks, he's got no control over his locker room seemingly. Constantly over-matched, abandons game plans too early on. He's been a failure no other way to really put it, thus far into his tenure.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Seriously DJ, what should the Bears have done at QB this offseason?

Bortles has 6TDs to 13 picks, and the Bears would have had to traded up to get him. Manziel is sitting the bench in Cleveland and Bridgewater has 2 TDs and 5 picks.

Cutler may not be a great QB, but he has thrown 17TDs and 8 picks. That is alot better than anyone else they could have brought in when done. Did they overpay? Maybe. But in a thin market you don't get rid of a talented QB. Not everybody gets an Aaron Rogers.

Still to early to call Trestman a failure. He is 11-13. Lovie is 1-6 in Tampa and his team is completely lost.

Emery is going nowhere. And if Trestman and a new DC can't get the team to the playoffs next year, then Emery will get a 2nd head coach, just like most NFL GMs get.

Lovie promoted Mike Tice to be the OC of the Bears. There are fewer more colossal coaching fuck-ups than that. At least Tucker was a DC somewhere else first.

Thanks for this. We always hear 'go get X' or 'go get Y'. As I always say - NAME HIM. Name the EXACT player you want. Sure, it was one thing to say 'go find a pro bowl caliber safety' in free agency. Ok, great. Name him. Who is that guy? If that guy even exists and his current team isn't going to re-sign him, also realize that there are probably 20 other teams who want him. Every fan of every team automatically assumes that their team will get every wanted FA.

Now to Jay - what other real options did they have? Stick with Dale Sveum - oops, Josh McCown - while they groom up their next Aaron Rodgers? Oh, wait, that guy isn't on the roster. McCown was a flash in the pan fluke and the dirty little secret is that he was successful playing against bum defenses. Even in the Dallas game, Dallas defenders dropped at least 4 easy picks. McCown looked anything but brilliant against STL. There was nothing to suggest that McCown would have any sustained success. He's an old journeyman QB with a nothing career who was out of football. A few nice games is not enough to warrant a signing. It would be a patchwork solution.

And of course, there's no young QB to draft. Even so, what young player options? Would have had to trade up to get Bortles - who isn't lighting it up - and the Bears will need those picks. Manziel, Bridgewater were the next picks. Neither are first round talents. Carr may be interesting. Garropolo went next in the second. No idea if he'll ever do anything in the NFL. The reality is that the draft was terrible for QBs this year and I'm not certain any will have distinguished NFL careers. No one to be excited about as it was with Andrew Luck.

So, the Bears effectively did what they had to do. The only thing they really could do. There are basically 15 guys in the world who can do that job very well. There are at least 10 teams in the NFL who would have happily signed Jay Cutler. Right or wrong, the Bears really had no other viable choice. Thank drafting and the inability to develop and coach up a young QB during the Angelo/Lovie era - well, under every Bears era ever, really. As for the money, Jay got the going rate.

Jay Cutler is the reality of quarterbacks in the NFL today. NE may have something in Garropolo, but Denver will be in that boat in a year or two. Let's say Peyton has one season left after this one, is Brock Ostweiler the next franchise QB in Denver? SD, NO and hopefully GB will probably be as well.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Emery has gotten one impact player in the draft in three years. We have gotten older since he arrived and were already old. His free agents are going bust. He gave Cutler a big deal. He hired Marc Trestman. The Bears are bottom ten on offense, bottom five on defense, and bottom five in special teams.

Emery is a complete joke and no NFL team will make the playoffs with him as GM.

are u fucking blind?