I guess it takes me a little longer to lose faith..

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
in the Bears organization than a 3-5 start.

What is the most important thing to any football team?

It is the ability to draft impact talent.

Emery is 2 of 3 on 1st rounders and 2 of 3 on 2nd rounders (that assumes Bostic won't make it). That is good enough to be very competitive in this league.

Trestman may not be the guy, but I am not willing to say he can't coach in this league yet. He set the Bears offense on fire last year, and I feel the injuries to the offensive line have really stunted the Bears growth this season (Bears have +50% more sacks this year than the same point last year).

Tucker is worthless, and Trestman deserves blame for keeping him around a second season. I feel there is still a learning curve for Trestman coming from the CFL. While many dismiss this, I think there is possibility for improvement. Sharp offensive minds don't come around alot in the NFL, and while the Bears offense hasn't looked that potent so far this year, people easily forget how well they played last year.

The Bears are down. No doubt about it. But Emery has shown a good track record in the early rounds which is the most important thing for a franchise. Maybe the fans thought their team was better than it was (Vegas had us at 8-8) and didn't realize that the worst defense in the league could only get so much better in 1 offseason.

Playoff hopes aside, maybe it takes one more draft to sure up our secondary and get a good pass rusher. Maybe Trestman needs to make some adjustments to what the league is doing to us.

I just see alot of good things in this franchise. Emery can draft. A good DC can help Trestman tremendously. The immediate future may look a little bleak for the bears, but I feel the long term future is bright.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Being a successful GM means more than drafting talented players. It also means hiring a capable HC. You can have a talented roster but without a coach properly preparing his team - they have no scheme to execute. Emery has had some solid success in the draft (Kyle Long, Jeffrey, Fuller, etc) so I'm not ready to give up on him - but he needs to bring in a good coaching staff.

I can't believe I'm saying this but Trestman is a down grade from Lovie Smith. We've had some horribly pathetic performances from Lovie's teams but what I've seen this year - it's just beyond anything I could have imagined.

The other major issue is Emery signing Jay Cutler. The Trestman-Cutler failure could cost Emery his job.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Somebody finally said it outright and if the current trend continues it'll be very hard to argue with. Unless something changes, the Trestman hire will look very much like a downgrade.

Lovie was often clueless, but I don't think he every had the idea that one phase of the team was less important than the other. We now have a coach whose philosophy is to build up one phase (offense) to carry the team. What many don't realize is that the special teams decisions are much worse than what's happening with the defense. I didn't look it up, but I wonder what the avg starting field position after a kick-off is. It seems to me that they are coming out of the endzone far too many times, and I see very few punt returns that happen without some type of penalty. Part of that is the failure to set the roster during the pre-season. It simply should not have taken 6 weeks into the season to solidify the special teams and get a returner in. The defense is not worth discussing at this point because it should be obvious to everyone. It's no wonder the team is currently in the state it's in.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Seriously DJ, what should the Bears have done at QB this offseason?

Bortles has 6TDs to 13 picks, and the Bears would have had to traded up to get him. Manziel is sitting the bench in Cleveland and Bridgewater has 2 TDs and 5 picks.

Cutler may not be a great QB, but he has thrown 17TDs and 8 picks. That is alot better than anyone else they could have brought in when done. Did they overpay? Maybe. But in a thin market you don't get rid of a talented QB. Not everybody gets an Aaron Rogers.

Still to early to call Trestman a failure. He is 11-13. Lovie is 1-6 in Tampa and his team is completely lost.

Emery is going nowhere. And if Trestman and a new DC can't get the team to the playoffs next year, then Emery will get a 2nd head coach, just like most NFL GMs get.

Lovie promoted Mike Tice to be the OC of the Bears. There are fewer more colossal coaching fuck-ups than that. At least Tucker was a DC somewhere else first.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Lovie was often clueless, but I don't think he every had the idea that one phase of the team was less important than the other. We now have a coach whose philosophy is to build up one phase (offense) to carry the team.

Seriously, just stop there. Lovie was a single minded as the come. He was lucky enough to have the best kick returner of all time drafted for him. Every year for him was a DE being picked in the draft.

Lovie fucking blows. He is 1-6 for the Bucs. They are awful. His defensive scheme is completely outdated.

South Dakota Bear

Liked Posts:

Bortles has 6TDs to 13 picks, and the Bears would have had to traded up to get him. Manziel is sitting the bench in Cleveland and Bridgewater has 2 TDs and 5 picks.

Cutler may not be a great QB, but he has thrown 17TDs and 8 picks. That is alot better than anyone else they could have brought in when done. Did they overpay? Maybe. But in a thin market you don't get rid of a talented QB. Not everybody gets an Aaron Rogers.

Still to early to call Trestman a failure. He is 11-13. Lovie is 1-6 in Tampa and his team is completely lost.

Emery is going nowhere. And if Trestman and a new DC can't get the team to the playoffs next year, then Emery will get a 2nd head coach, just like most NFL GMs get.

Lovie promoted Mike Tice to be the OC of the Bears. There are fewer more colossal coaching fuck-ups than that. At least Tucker was a DC somewhere else first.

In my opinion, we should have brought in a young QB and started over, started rebuilding. Cutler has already shown many times that he is a loser and a failure. Our offense and defense is not good enough to beat the elite teams and win the super bowl. Marshall has a year or two in his prime after this year. Same for Forte. No amount of drafting the next year or two will make our team Super Bowl contenders.

Should have let Cutler walk and let some other team and fanbase live with his crybaby ways and his lack of leadership. You can draft whoever you want and sign whoever you want. With Cutler at the helm, this team is going nowhere. Not to mention we have a head coach that is out of his league.

South Dakota Bear

Liked Posts:

One other thing. You don't put a team together to be 11-13. We will finish with a losing record so that guarantees that Trestman will have a losing record after two years. That is indeed a failure. Not sure how you can't see that.

This team has gotten worse and older since he took over. That is also part of being a failure. They look terrible out there.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
As much as we hate it, sometimes it takes a team a good 3 years to cleanse the system. And most GM's wlll give a guy 3 seasons to prove himself. So I would guess that Trestman will get another shot and we probably fire Tucker.

If we had a GM and President that really cared about the long term health of the Bears, they would go after Jim Harbaugh with everything they got. Meet all his demands no matter what. He's a guy that might be confrontational but you stay out of the way and let him coach football, pay him big money and try to keep him here and make him a Chicago Bears coaching legend.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seriously, just stop there. Lovie was a single minded as the come. He was lucky enough to have the best kick returner of all time drafted for him. Every year for him was a DE being picked in the draft.

Lovie fucking blows. He is 1-6 for the Bucs. They are awful. His defensive scheme is completely outdated.

I never said Lovie was great. But that shows you how bad this is. Trestman is worse than Lovie. Let that sink in.

The point still stands. I'm not saying he was great at it, but lets compare Lovie's DC choices for instance. Even Babich was better than Tucker, the stats don't lie. Last year the Bears nearly beat out the '61 Vikings for worst run defense in history.

Again, I never heard Lovie state that his defense would carry an average offense. He often mentioned needing to play well in all phases. And even if you don't have the GOAT at returner it shouldn't take you 6 weeks into the season to find one. There are 32 teams in the league and Hester isn't the only one with a touchdown return this year. How is it every team in the league except the bears managed to have an idea of what to do with special teams before the season starts?

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well put Matt, Emery made the best decision at QB for what he had to work with.. This Offense will last for 2-3 more years. The worst thing Emery did so far was ignore the LB core. As long as he doesn't fuck up the draft by taking a QB or other non-impact player in the first couple rounds and finds impact players at LB and DT the Bears should be in good shape. In 2016 or 2017 draft a QB in the 1st round to start.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I have great faith in Phil Emery's scouting abilities. I have considerably less faith in his ability to construct a roster. He's beginning to appear as guy who's out of his depth and still has significant room to grow as a competent football executive.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have great faith in Phil Emery's scouting abilities. I have considerably less faith in his ability to construct a roster. He's beginning to appear as guy who's out of his depth and still has significant room to grow as a competent football executive.

Interesting, I never thought about it that way. He is awesome at drafting and bringing in players, but sucks at building a team. That is exactly what the Bears have now.. Great individual players that don't seem to be able to play as a team.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Interesting, I never thought about it that way. He is awesome at drafting and bringing in players, but sucks at building a team. That is exactly what the Bears have now.. Great individual players that don't seem to be able to play as a team.

He's making far too many roster gambles that aren't paying off. Last year he gambled that he had enough depth on the DL to get through the season; he didn't. This year he thought he could address the DL and gamble that he had enough depth at LB and in the secondary combined with more pass rush to make it through the season; he didn't. And the less said about special teams the better. It's one thing to have to gamble at a single position, all GMs have to do that because of cap considerations, but Emery is habitually gambling with entire units.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess you could look at Belichick's first HC job and say, well, he was 36-44 with the Browns, he was terrible. Now he's considered best HC in the game. So maybe there's hope for Trestman. But then again Belichick doesn't do and say stupid shit.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
If it takes you a little longer, you might have Alzheimer's. The Bears have been a joke for a long time buddy. The reaction by fans isn't because of looking at this 1 season in a vacuum.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If it takes you a little longer, you might have Alzheimer's. The Bears have been a joke for a long time buddy. The reaction by fans isn't because of looking at this 1 season in a vacuum.

288xs2b.gif

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
in the Bears organization than a 3-5 start.

What is the most important thing to any football team?

It is the ability to draft impact talent.

Emery is 2 of 3 on 1st rounders and 2 of 3 on 2nd rounders (that assumes Bostic won't make it). That is good enough to be very competitive in this league.

Trestman may not be the guy, but I am not willing to say he can't coach in this league yet. He set the Bears offense on fire last year, and I feel the injuries to the offensive line have really stunted the Bears growth this season (Bears have +50% more sacks this year than the same point last year).

Tucker is worthless, and Trestman deserves blame for keeping him around a second season. I feel there is still a learning curve for Trestman coming from the CFL. While many dismiss this, I think there is possibility for improvement. Sharp offensive minds don't come around alot in the NFL, and while the Bears offense hasn't looked that potent so far this year, people easily forget how well they played last year.

The Bears are down. No doubt about it. But Emery has shown a good track record in the early rounds which is the most important thing for a franchise. Maybe the fans thought their team was better than it was (Vegas had us at 8-8) and didn't realize that the worst defense in the league could only get so much better in 1 offseason.

Playoff hopes aside, maybe it takes one more draft to sure up our secondary and get a good pass rusher. Maybe Trestman needs to make some adjustments to what the league is doing to us.

I just see alot of good things in this franchise. Emery can draft. A good DC can help Trestman tremendously. The immediate future may look a little bleak for the bears, but I feel the long term future is bright.

The future is bright but we have to stop signing older players. If your gonna be bad on defense be bad young not old. Getting Allen, dj Williams and mundy was a waste. If rather see young guys running around failing knowing they are at least learning.

On offense trestman is calling horrible plays. Where have the slants gone? Why aren't we running more? Why are we throwing so many screen passes and not extending the field. When we do extend the field we have everyone going deep. It's nuts.

Info have faith but trestman is gonna have to show me in the second half he can adjust his play calling like teams have adjusted to the bears with 3 deep zone

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most people here wouldn't be here if they didn't have faith. Or some sort of psychological disorder. Or both.

Bears fans have put up with a lot of shit teams over the years. This is particularly disappointing because we are supposed to be in to year two of an offensive mind and QB "whisperer". And, right now, it looks like a major clusterfuck. I think things can get better. My fear is what has been talked about before, that the Bears "rally" to a 8-9 win season and miss the playoffs but give (some) people hope for next year and nothing changes or improves.