Kris Bryant expectations

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whoops, Josh Hamilton is on there at 31. I must have missed him. Im sure Bryant would be on the list and be pretty high.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I go a step further and say Josh Hamilton. He may be the highest rated prospect of all time.People are enamored because Bryant has a superstar, face of the franchise look with a powerful bat. Its hard not to fall for him. lol

Agree on all those guys and there might be more. One thing that has changed is the more universal scouting standards in the last 10 years. More is quantifiable so when guys make arguments they seem more sure of themselves. Doesn't mean a hill of beans though once the kids reach the bigs. There are still some that say Byron Buxton is a better prospect but there are less of those this year than last. It's all a crap shoot. All I was saying is there are hosts of people on this kid's bandwagon including writers, scouts, coaches, former players and meatball fans alike. I just want to see the kid play. Stat. Well, 3 rd week in April anyway. :)

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
What? Calm down. His projection is most likely way closer then most Cubs fans you will read. This guy isnt just going to destroy the league from the word go. He has contact rate issues that will bring down his average. He will have to adjust to the majors. To think he is going to come out the gate and hit 40 homers is borderline nuts. I hope he does but the smart money is he wont. People need to not go full meatball and keep expectations in check.

28AB, .464 BA, 9 HR

Who owns that stat line?

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I understand that you guys have never experienced a winning baseball team, but please, for the Love of all that is holy, stop shitting on our young studs.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Chris Sale's agent is not Scott Boras, he was not the #2 pick, and he was not MiLB POY. Bryant is a different tier of prospect than Sale ever was. It's a lazy analogy and an apples to oranges comparison.
um.....Chris Sale never had a chance to be Poy in the minors considering he spent only a month and a half in them. And don't kid yourself with the Bryant hype, Sale fell in the draft cuz of signability, it's not like he wasn't highly reguarded. If Theo offered up Bryant for Sale, Hahns asking for Russell and somebody else also. Let's not get carried away.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
um.....Chris Sale never had a chance to be Poy in the minors considering he spent only a month and a half in them. And don't kid yourself with the Bryant hype, Sale fell in the draft cuz of signability, it's not like he wasn't highly reguarded. If Theo offered up Bryant for Sale, Hahns asking for Russell and somebody else also. Let's not get carried away.

No.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I understand that you guys have never experienced a winning baseball team, but please, for the Love of all that is holy, stop shitting on our young studs.

What a douchebag thing to say......

Stop holding them to unrealistic rookie expectations.....

They have proven absolutely nothing at the big league level. So you can keep it in the pants, cupcake. When they put up big numbers, yeah--get excited.

But this team and these kids still have big questions going into the year. Whether or not you want to hear/accept that is on you.

I cant wait to see what meatballs like you are going to do when Bryant struggles, as all major superstars did at some point early in their careers. Perhaps the sky will be falling after a cold couple of weeks at the plate in June when pitchers have figured him out, forcing him to make adjustments.

And of course......:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:

Sale had some red flags. Mainly the "inverted W" style of throwing.

The big one that the ALMIGHTY KEITH LAW saw was that he was a 2 trick pony in college of fastball/slider. Law went on to say the White Sox were idiots for picking him up and that he'd never amount to anything special.

Keith Law is Special person. Anyways--Sale went on to develop a wicked circle change and a 2 seam fb, and has proved many doubters wrong, a big reason I like him. An article came out in ESPN the magazine about sabremetrics and they project his WAR at 5 this year.

Another reason sabremetrics aren't the end all-be all of statistics. But again, I digress.

Sale went on to be what now is the 2nd best LHP in baseball behind that guy on the Dodgers. Not the Asian guy either.

But coming out of Florida or whereever he was from in 2010. But the 12 guys taken before him were almost legit higher rated.

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/blog/SweetSpot/post/_/id/11482/top-50-prospects-of-the-draft-era

Josh Hamilton isnt on here but I have read before that he rated out as high as any player ever. He was 5 tool with Kris Bryant power to scouts.

Having 5 tools is great but not all tools are weighted equally. It's somewhat case specific. To a large extent, Bryant's real position is middle-of-the-order hitter than it is 3b or corner OF. As much as it would be nice for him to have the speed to play CF, someone has to play the corner positions. And those players are more defined by their bats. Besides, you could make the argument Griffeys bat was too valuable to have him play CF, no matter how amazing he was at CF. There's a cost/benefit aspect to consider when a guys most important position is 3, 4, or 5 hitter.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Having 5 tools is great but not all tools are weighted equally. It's somewhat case specific. To a large extent, Bryant's real position is middle-of-the-order hitter than it is 3b or corner OF. As much as it would be nice for him to have the speed to play CF, someone has to play the corner positions. And those players are more defined by their bats. Besides, you could make the argument Griffeys bat was too valuable to have him play CF, no matter how amazing he was at CF. There's a cost/benefit aspect to consider when a guys most important position is 3, 4, or 5 hitter.

What?

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I cant wait to see what meatballs like you are going to do when Bryant struggles, as all major superstars did at some point early in their careers. Perhaps the sky will be falling after a cold couple of weeks at the plate in June when pitchers have figured him out, forcing him to make adjustments.

I can name a whole bunch of kids that hit the ground running and produced stunning stats their rookie year w/o much of a struggle at all. So once again, you're just another guy trying to put in a reverse jinx. Getting tiresome.....

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I can name a whole bunch of kids that hit the ground running and produced stunning stats their rookie year w/o much of a struggle at all. So once again, you're just another guy trying to put in a reverse jinx. Getting tiresome.....

Yeah, you've told on me before, but I'm still going to shoot straight. You're incorrect on this--so go on and throw your temper-tantrum as I take you to school.

Who are you going to dig up? Albert Pujols? Yeah--fantastic rookie season stat line. Went ice cold right after the all star game then adjusted quickly to finish strong. Started off his sophmore year in a slump too before being Albert.

Miguel Cabrera didn't light up the scoreboard as a rookie.

Are you going to be "that guy" and jump all the way back to the 1940s with Ted Williams? The game's changed since then.

Mike Schmidt sucked in his first 2 years.

Same with Manny Ramirez.

Trout flat out sucked his first few months at the plate.

What the fuck is a reverse-jinx? What the fuck are you talking about? What I'm saying, is that there will be struggles. So yeah--cant wait to see him be the next big thing. But it likely wont be this year as this will be a year of learning and adjustment to the big leagues and real pitchers going against him beyond spring training. He may win rookie of the year, sure--there's a great chance of that. But he's going to have to adjust. No more picking on career minor leaguers or underdeveloped pitchers. No more picking on pitchers who either A) dont give a shit because its spring or B) haven't gotten the ball rolling yet because its spring.

Against ML talent in the middle of the season, he's faced one pitcher (Clayton Kershaw in a AA rehab start) and looked stupid last year, whiffing 3 times. I remember that, and know he's still got a ways to go before he's a well rounded star. Moreso on the defensive side, but he does.

So keep it in the pants, cupcake. And keep this jinx shit out of the equation. Some people do like to talk baseball here.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Yeah, you've told on me before, but I'm still going to shoot straight. You're incorrect on this--so go on and throw your temper-tantrum as I take you to school.

ARod's first full year 1996: .358 BA with 36 boppers

Jose Abreu 2014: .317BA with 36 boppers

Mike Piazza 1993: .318BA with 35 boppers

Ryan Braun 2007: .324BA with 34 boppers

Nomar in 1997: .306BA with 30 boppers

McGwire in 1987: .289BA with 49 boppers

You just got taken to school cupcake.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Trout flat out sucked his first few months at the plate.

You're such a fucking dumbass. In Trout's rookie year (that means 2012, NOT 2011), by May 11 his average was already at .317.

So what months do you speak of sir? I'm sure you're going to point to his first 20AB in 2011 like the fucking dumbass you are.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Everyone should expect players in general to look bewildered at times. Some more than others, and then you have guys like Baez who remains VERY questionable.

You like to have guys like Bryant, Soler, and Rizzo that have the plate discipline or high OBP, which gives them a much greater chance if succeeding.

If memory serves me right, I do believe Sandberg struggled mightily his first couple if months, and then started to figure it out. We can only hope that continues with some of these youngsters, and also with Almora, Schwarber, and Russell.

If the Cubs hit on half of them, they will have hit it big.

Their is such a roller-coaster ride adjustments for players. Pitchers expose a lot of players to their weaknesses and tendancies, and the hitter has to re-adjust, and re-adjust again.

The great ones get it, and get it quickly.

We don't know who is who, or who might be great. Only time will tell.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
You're such a fucking dumbass. In Trout's rookie year (that means 2012, NOT 2011), by May 11 his average was already at .317.

So what months do you speak of sir? I'm sure you're going to point to his first 20AB in 2011 like the fucking dumbass you are.

Trout sucked in 2011 when he got his call up in August. Spin it anyway you want sweetheart.

Every name you mentioned in that list struggled at some point young. They were not full fledged, e And thats my point you've straw-manned to the point of extremity.

Bryant is gonna struggle, kid. Get over it and let's move on. Literally, Boo's post is 100% spot on. Adjustment and readjustment separate the successful from the non.

Cue the dislike rep.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Trout sucked in 2011 when he got his call up in August. Spin it anyway you want sweetheart.

Every name you mentioned in that list struggled at some point young. They were not full fledged, e And thats my point you've straw-manned to the point of extremity.

Bryant is gonna struggle, kid. Get over it and let's move on. Literally, Boo's post is 100% spot on. Adjustment and readjustment separate the successful from the non.

Cue the dislike rep.

You just failed again. Who said anything about him NOT having a bad month or two? I just gave you a multitude of players who posted massive stats their rookie year. That's what this thread is about cupcake. It's about his overall expectations for rookie year. I expect greatness. That's not to say he won't have a bad month or two.

You created a straw man you fucking dumbass.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

You just failed again. Who said anything about him NOT having a bad month or two? I just gave you a multitude of players who posted massive stats their rookie year. That's what this thread is about cupcake. It's about his overall expectations for rookie year. I expect greatness. That's not to say he won't have a bad month or two.
"Bad month or two?" Sounds like a struggle to me.

You created a straw man you fucking dumbass.
You may want to reconsider calling someone else a "dumbass". :dunno: