Kris Bryant expectations

CSF77

Liked Posts:
On topic:

I expect 5 months of playing time so 23 HR's at the major league level is a fair call. .270 sounds about right. Still he has adjusted very fast to match the competition so a break out like Soler did is very likely.

Off topic: Kris for Sale? Right now yes. In 2 years probably not. Kris has MVP potential Sale has cy-young production. Bryant plays 150+ games. Sale pitches 35. The impact leans towards Bryant ling term. Add to that is control and cost factor.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
On topic:

I expect 5 months of playing time so 23 HR's at the major league level is a fair call. .270 sounds about right. Still he has adjusted very fast to match the competition so a break out like Soler did is very likely.

Off topic: Kris for Sale? Right now yes. In 2 years probably not. Kris has MVP potential Sale has cy-young production. Bryant plays 150+ games. Sale pitches 35. The impact leans towards Bryant ling term. Add to that is control and cost factor.

Soler was going through growing pains towards the end of the season. He wouldnt have sustained over a large sample. How he adjust when he comes back is way more telling then his small sample size last year. Just my two cents.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I understand the economics but they need to play more like the big market team they are instead of the step child of the Sox. And I don't mean that in a flame war type comment. I mean that when a player is ready the Sox promote. They do not wait for additional years of control.

It's definitely a different philosophy and I'm not saying that one is better than the other. Sale pitched in the majors the year he was drafted. Rodon would have if the Sox had been in a pennant race. I think that if you asked Jed and Theo about that they would say it was dead wrong from a business and development standpoint. That would be their opinion. Obviously Chris Sale is one of teh 5 best pitchers in the game so that early call up worked out fine. Different organizations, different ideas.

As far as the Boras question, yes guys have signed long term extensions against his advice, but not that many and when it's happened most of those guys have a different agent within a couple of years. Someone actually wrote about this last year when all the hand wringing was going on about Bryant not being called up. I tried to find the link but struck out. Boras has a basic shtick and that's that he promises these kids generational wealth if they live up to their potential. It's very attractive to mom and dad who are often very much a part of these player's lives at 19,20 or 21 years of age. Kid gets older and makes his own priorities. I get it. As a business though you have to proceed under the assumption that Bryant will stick to the Boras plan and you maximize the years. Personally I would have been furious if they brought him up last year. Just one man's opinion of course.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Soler was going through growing pains towards the end of the season. He wouldnt have sustained over a large sample. How he adjust when he comes back is way more telling then his small sample size last year. Just my two cents.

There will be some adjustmet time but he has the tools to be a .300 hitter at the major league level with 30 HR's every year. His strike zone mastery is very good.

My concern with him is him keeping off the DL.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It's definitely a different philosophy and I'm not saying that one is better than the other. Sale pitched in the majors the year he was drafted. Rodon would have if the Sox had been in a pennant race. I think that if you asked Jed and Theo about that they would say it was dead wrong from a business and development standpoint. That would be their opinion. Obviously Chris Sale is one of teh 5 best pitchers in the game so that early call up worked out fine. Different organizations, different ideas.

As far as the Boras question, yes guys have signed long term extensions against his advice, but not that many and when it's happened most of those guys have a different agent within a couple of years. Someone actually wrote about this last year when all the hand wringing was going on about Bryant not being called up. I tried to find the link but struck out. Boras has a basic shtick and that's that he promises these kids generational wealth if they live up to their potential. It's very attractive to mom and dad who are often very much a part of these player's lives at 19,20 or 21 years of age. Kid gets older and makes his own priorities. I get it. As a business though you have to proceed under the assumption that Bryant will stick to the Boras plan and you maximize the years. Personally I would have bee furious if they brought him up last year. Just my two cents.

Kinda Theo's call there but it has more to do with Reinsdorf vs the Ricketts. Ricketts run the Cubs as a business model. Sox are out to win it.

That fact alone keeps me from going 100% believing they will go over 100 mil on any player before a new TV deal is in place. Just listen to the verbage used by Theo and now Maddon. Allot of what they are saying is patience and 15 month windows. If the Ricketts had that TV deal in place that verbiage I doubt would be uttered.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

I don't entirely disagree but Soler definitely looked like a major leaguer to me. The poise was there and obviously the numbers were. Slumps will happen, they happen to the best but I do think he's capable of putting up a full season this year like his short stint last year and then improve on that next year.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Kinda Theo's call there but it has more to do with Reinsdorf vs the Ricketts. Ricketts run the Cubs as a business model. Sox are out to win it.

That fact alone keeps me from going 100% believing they will go over 100 mil on any player before a new TV deal is in place. Just listen to the verbage used by Theo and now Maddon. Allot of what they are saying is patience and 15 month windows. If the Ricketts had that TV deal in place that verbiage I doubt would be uttered.

Oh, no question about it. As much as some Sox fans like to complain about Reinsdorf and spending he runs that team to basically break even and the goal is not to maximize profits but to not lose money for his partners. As a baseball fan, but not a Sox fan, you have to kind of smile and admire that. As a Cubs fan I want these guys to maximize every nickel because everything they save by being conservative and building a sustainable baseball/business model is a nickel that can be used on the team. The difference between the business model of Ricketts and the Tribune model was that Ricketts also wants to win and make money while winning was not the ultimate goal of Trib ownership. I just don't like to waste my time getting mad a fish being a fish. The Ricketts ownership is what is and it's more conducive to winning championships than what we had before. If that means keeping Kris Bryant in the minors until the third week in April than so be it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't entirely disagree but Soler definitely looked like a major leaguer to me. The poise was there and obviously the numbers were. Slumps will happen, they happen to the best but I do think he's capable of putting up a full season this year like his short stint last year and then improve on that next year.

Slumps happen because averages will always be an average. I stayed on the Soler train when people were jumping off left and right. I always called him the safest prospect. HE doesnt have the highest ceiling and he doesnt have the lowest floor. My point was adjustments were being made against him. Im not saying he is not a major leaguer. I just take more stock on how he comes back after some of those adjustments have been made against him. Its more telling to me of how a young player will succeed over starting hot. The month of Septermber he had 74 at bats and struck out 20 times. He batted .243 with a .284 OBP. They were starting to adjust and he has to adjust back.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Slumps happen because averages will always be an average. I stayed on the Soler train when people were jumping off left and right. I always called him the safest prospect. HE doesnt have the highest ceiling and he doesnt have the lowest floor. My point was adjustments were being made against him. Im not saying he is not a major leaguer. I just take more stock on how he comes back after some of those adjustments have been made against him. Its more telling to me of how a young player will succeed over starting hot. The month of Septermber he had 74 at bats and struck out 20 times. He batted .243 with a .284 OBP. They were starting to adjust and he has to adjust back.

I don't disagree with a single thing there. The only thing that I ever worried about with Soler was drive and he seems to have answered that question. If you have skills and you have drive you can adjust.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Oh, no question about it. As much as some Sox fans like to complain about Reinsdorf and spending he runs that team to basically break even and the goal is not to maximize profits but to not lose money for his partners. As a baseball fan, but not a Sox fan, you have to kind of smile and admire that. As a Cubs fan I want these guys to maximize every nickel because everything they save by being conservative and building a sustainable baseball/business model is a nickel that can be used on the team. The difference between the business model of Ricketts and the Tribune model was that Ricketts also wants to win and make money while winning was not the ultimate goal of Trib ownership. I just don't like to waste my time getting mad a fish being a fish. The Ricketts ownership is what is and it's more conducive to winning championships than what we had before. If that means keeping Kris Bryant in the minors until the third week in April than so be it.

You also have to factor in they are funding a 500 mil park overhaul. That is coming out of profits. Sure they are creating revenue generators first as they should.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
If he puts up a 975+ OPS he's the MVP as a Rookie.

Yeap! I said I am aiming high.

Cubs are overdue for a prospect sensation that transfers it to the professional level. I am betting he will be it.

Maybe I lose, maybe I win. ;)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Yeap! I said I am aiming high.

Cubs are overdue for a prospect sensation that transfers it to the professional level. I am betting he will be it.

Maybe I lose, maybe I win. ;)
Nothing wrong with wanting a gallon of Kool-aid. :)

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Stud prospect and stud human being, eh? :)

"Late last month, a fan named Mike Kennedy found one of Bryant's game-used bats on eBay. Here's the listing. The problem: it's $850. $850! As good as Bryant was this year, that's an outrageous price for a bat from a player who has yet to make his MLB debut...

Before shelling out the $850, Kennedy wanted to make sure the bat was legit. I don't blame him. Kennedy went right to the source and asked Bryant on Twitter if the bat was really his... Bryant didn't bother to authenticate the listing on eBay. He did one better. He offered to send Kennedy a game-used bat for free."

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...ryant-sends-game-used-bat-to-twitter-follower

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
$850 for a true game used authenticated bat fir a guy like Bryant is not too bad in reality. Specs are worth more before the callup just like real baseball unless they start off like Ichiro

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
2015 MLB Rookie of the year.
2016 MLB MVP after Anthony Rizzo wins 2015 MVP.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
.250/.350/.500 with say 25 HRs in the majors. Might slug for more but I'm expecting some struggle.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Stud prospect and stud human being, eh? :)

"Late last month, a fan named Mike Kennedy found one of Bryant's game-used bats on eBay. Here's the listing. The problem: it's $850. $850! As good as Bryant was this year, that's an outrageous price for a bat from a player who has yet to make his MLB debut...

Before shelling out the $850, Kennedy wanted to make sure the bat was legit. I don't blame him. Kennedy went right to the source and asked Bryant on Twitter if the bat was really his... Bryant didn't bother to authenticate the listing on eBay. He did one better. He offered to send Kennedy a game-used bat for free."

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...ryant-sends-game-used-bat-to-twitter-follower

Brett's version of the story: "Kris Bryant costs EBay seller $850."