OT: Where does Dirk Rank all-time for you?

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dirk is not a center. He is a power forward.

With that said, I have him ranked 37th all-time as an overall player.

He's my 8th best power forward overall.

14. K.Malone
15. T.Duncan (also center)
16. K.Garnett
19. C.Barkley
29. E.Hayes (also center)
31. W.Reed (also center)
33. K.McHale
37. D.Nowitzki

MrDerp

Liked Posts:
He is the best player to ever come from Europe, and close to a top 5 PF of all-time. I have always been a big fan of Dirk. Has a nice skill set but lacks a little on the defensive end. Out off all players I would say he is in the top 50 all time, where you want to put him is subjective.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
No Rasheed Wallace? I put Dirk and Duncan ahead of Malone

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dirk is not a center. He is a power forward.

With that said, I have him ranked 37th all-time as an overall player.

He's my 8th best power forward overall.

14. K.Malone
15. T.Duncan (also center)
16. K.Garnett
19. C.Barkley
29. E.Hayes (also center)
31. W.Reed (also center)
33. K.McHale
37. D.Nowitzki

I'd put Dirk ahead of McHale. Might not be fair to McHale b/c he never got the chance to but Dirk carried a franchise.

Willis Reed was primarily a center.

I'm also putting Duncan ahead of Malone rather easily. Barkley vs Garnett is an interesting conversation.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Duncan is the best power forward of all time. Not to diminish Malone, but with what TD has been able to do for such a long time puts him ahead, imo. I feel pretty confident that you can put Dirk ahead of Hayes and McHale.

The problem is, I can't think of another player before Dirk where you had a guy playing the stretch 4, or at the very least, nowhere near as good as Dirk was. So, if you're asking me, it's unfair to just call him a power forward because he was asked/did things your traditional PF weren't/didn't.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Duncan is the best power forward of all time. Not to diminish Malone, but with what TD has been able to do for such a long time puts him ahead, imo. I feel pretty confident that you can put Dirk ahead of Hayes and McHale.

The problem is, I can't think of another player before Dirk where you had a guy playing the stretch 4, or at the very least, nowhere near as good as Dirk was. So, if you're asking me, it's unfair to just call him a power forward because he was asked/did things your traditional PF weren't/didn't.

The stretch 4 is interesting. Dirk was really the first guy to do it all the way to the 3pt line on a consistent basis. Some people say Bob McAdoo was the original stretch 4. You can look at other PF's games in the early to late 90's and see a lot fo PF's going more to the midrange for large parts of their game (Barkley, Kemp, Garnett, Webber etc) but until Dirk came along there really wasn't a PF/4 that lived on the three. By his third year in the NBA he was taking almsot 400 3pt attempts.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd put Dirk ahead of McHale. Might not be fair to McHale b/c he never got the chance to but Dirk carried a franchise.

Willis Reed was primarily a center.

I'm also putting Duncan ahead of Malone rather easily. Barkley vs Garnett is an interesting conversation.

Yes, true. Tim Duncan has been primarily a center for the latter part of his career, as well. He and Malone are very different types of players as big men. Malone was a much more dynamic and active scorer. Duncan took what the defense gave him in a balanced system.

I can totally understand why anyone would take Duncan over Malone. The argument is about as close of one to be had in terms of weighing accolades and player comparisons. I just take Malone, myself.

I'm not sure if any of those 5 championship Spurs teams were quite as good as the Utah Jazz teams that went to the Finals. Pretty close comparison in 2013, 2003, and 1999. But Jordan was really the only thing that stood between Karl Malone and 1-2 championships.

Both players had great longevity. I think Malone stayed on an elite level for longer than Duncan, in my opinion.

Malone has the obvious edge offensively. Duncan probably has a slight edge all-around defensively. Rebounding- give that to Duncan, as well. Overall, I say it is very much a toss-up.

As for KG-vs-Barkley, I don't weigh in KG's 1-vs-0 rings at all. I say KG has the edge as a player.

Offense: Chuck.

Rebounding: Chuck (for his size); KG perhaps overall.

Defense: KG by a landslide.