Could Pau carry this team if Rose went down?

Aqbased

Liked Posts:
Sorry I'm not very active around these parts so this could of came up. But this question popped in my head today and wanted to know what you guys thought.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
"Carry"? Nope.

You should see Pau try to force baskets.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hypothetically, if Rose went down and the rest of the team was in great shape, they would still have a small, nearly miraculous shot at winning the East (but probably only if the Cavs or Heat had injury problems as well (i.e. Irving/Varejao/Wade). Even then, teams like the Wizards and Raptors should probably beat the Bulls even if that were to happen.

If some miracle happened, and the Bulls made the Finals without Rose, whichever team came out of the West would annihilate the Bulls after that.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sorry I'm not very active around these parts so this could of came up. But this question popped in my head today and wanted to know what you guys thought.

The answer is NO. Just take a peek at what he did without Kobe.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The answer is NO. Just take a peek at what he did without Kobe.
This team is better than whatever crap the Lakers had last year if that's what you mean. He may not "carry" the team quite like Rose can, but he'd be the focal point of the offense.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
a worse team than this made it without Rose

so yeah i think we can make it with Pau on the team

however i wouldn't expect to get further than the 2nd round...if that

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This team is better than whatever crap the Lakers had last year if that's what you mean. He may not "carry" the team quite like Rose can, but he'd be the focal point of the offense.

I give a shit who the "focal point of the offense is". If that means who leads them in scoring, then probably. But Gasol even in his prime was not the focal point of any offense.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I give a shit who the "focal point of the offense is". If that means who leads them in scoring, then probably. But Gasol even in his prime was not the focal point of any offense.
I thought he was in Memphis, and thats why they had problems winning a playoff series because he's not really meant to be that kind of player.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought he was in Memphis, and thats why they had problems winning a playoff series because he's not really meant to be that kind of player.

In Memphis he was. No question. The issue in Memphis was while Gasol was a very very good player the rest of the roster was pretty uninspiring. Memphis' #2 guy during those years were players like James Posey, or Mike Miller, or Damon Stoudamire. Wasn't really a Pau issue IMO.

Could Pau "carry" this team? To what? If the Bulls lose Rose this is a playoff team but it's a better team than last year but you're still looking at a 3 or 4 seed and a 2nd round exit rather than a first.

czman

Liked Posts:
Carry them to what? A 1st or second round out. If so yes.

A championship? No. Not unless a lot of other teams have injuries to key players and those players are saving themselves for their sons graduation.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yep, he took advantage of Toronto's frontcourt. This does not mean he can carry this team. He'll have his nights. Tonight was a good stat night for Pau. But his +/- was bad without Rose in this game. When Rose was out there, him, Butler, were both playing better and that is where we went from losing to taking a nice lead.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Yep, he took advantage of Toronto's frontcourt. This does not mean he can carry this team. He'll have his nights. Tonight was a good stat night for Pau. But his +/- was bad without Rose in this game. When Rose was out there, him, Butler, were both playing better and that is where we went from losing to taking a nice lead.

+/- isn't necessarily a reliable stat

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Butler seemed to me to be the difference maker-in disrupting the Raptor offense. He was causing headaches both on and away from the ball defensively.

On the offensive side, he looks like he can, and should get a higher usage-and have more plays where he is the first scoring option. He plays well off the ball, and finishes strong at the rack. Dude is becoming a complete offensive player, and is strong as an ox. Real athletic too. Even at the level he is playing, there is untapped potential.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pau was great, but Butler seemed to me to be the difference maker-in disrupting the Raptor offense. He was causing headaches both on and away from the ball defensively.

On the offensive side, he looks like he can, and should get a higher usage-and have more plays where he is the first scoring option. He plays well off the ball, and finishes strong at the rack. Dude is becoming a complete offensive player, and is strong as an ox. Real athletic too. Even at the level he is playing, there is untapped potential.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
+/- isn't necessarily a reliable stat

It is a reliable stat for these intents and purposes. When he was on the floor without Rose, the other team pounded us. How do we know? Well, that is where the +/- comes into place. We have seen it all year, when Pau is the focus, he misses more shots, makes more mistakes. No, not because any player would when inferior talent surrounds him, but Gasol and the team around him produce considerably less in comparison to the opposing team(including the super awesome 0-8 Philadelphia) when he is the #1 focus.
When he is the 2nd or 3rd option on the floor, he thrives. For the argument of a player carrying a team, +/- from this game(and throughout the game, not just the end result seen in the box score) you can easily see why Pau is not a good player to carry a team. That doesn't mean he is bad, that doesn't mean he doesn't fit, it also doesn't mean that Pau wont have games where he steps up to win while representing a shorthanded Bulls team(as he has already). It just means he wont carry the team if Rose is out, as implied by the OP.

Pau is a great complimentary player. He is not the guy that will carry this team.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
It is a reliable stat for these intents and purposes. When he was on the floor without Rose, the other team pounded us. How do we know? Well, that is where the +/- comes into place. We have seen it all year, when Pau is the focus, he misses more shots, makes more mistakes. No, not because any player would when inferior talent surrounds him, but Gasol and the team around him produce considerably less in comparison to the opposing team(including the super awesome 0-8 Philadelphia) when he is the #1 focus.
When he is the 2nd or 3rd option on the floor, he thrives. For the argument of a player carrying a team, +/- from this game(and throughout the game, not just the end result seen in the box score) you can easily see why Pau is not a good player to carry a team. That doesn't mean he is bad, that doesn't mean he doesn't fit, it also doesn't mean that Pau wont have games where he steps up to win while representing a shorthanded Bulls team(as he has already). It just means he wont carry the team if Rose is out, as implied by the OP.

Pau is a great complimentary player. He is not the guy that will carry this team.

not disagree with you about Gasol

but a player could be playing well but if the rest of the team is sucking it hurts the players +/-

you could have just said what you said about Gasol missing and making mistakes when hes the sole focus instead of using plus minus to make your point

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
not disagree with you about Gasol

but a player could be playing well but if the rest of the team is sucking it hurts the players +/-

you could have just said what you said about Gasol missing and making mistakes when hes the sole focus instead of using plus minus to make your point

Yes, true.

The reason I used it, was because you could follow it in the box score of this game. That's why I brought it up. Mind you, I'm the same person who would rip on people for using +/- to grade performances in the past, but it has usage, like this game was one of the few examples where it applied nicely.