Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Absolutely right, Rami. In hindsight, I'm glad they played it conservative and didn't have him come back in 2013 (when they would have just lost to Miami anyway). Now there's a window open with an aging Spurs team, Okie City's injuries, and Miami being broken up, and Cleveland not quite figuring it out yet. This may just work out for the best yet. Fingers crossed.
I hope you're right

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I just think he is horrible in front of the mic. The D Rose I have heard talk before about basketball, about representing the city of Chicago and about winning wouldn't say something like this. I want to think that he also meant prolonging his career and he just got off topic and probably started rambling and after he got off the mic he went "ahhh shit". From what I have heard from D Rose in the past and from the way I see him play and give his all, I just don't think he was saying it and meaning it the same way we are all thinking.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This was all over the radio out here with people comparing basketball warriors to Rose. I think fans expect more out of players than apparently Rose is willing to do. His reputation among basketball fans is really going to suffer. I said this a couple of years ago that Rose is not the leader of this team because he doesn't sell out as a player and that I think that his teammates recognize that but are willing to bite their tongues and say the right things about him.

Looking back at it, maybe it was good that the Bulls didn't bring another prima donna in, namely Carmelo. I listened to a radio show today mock Carmelo because he just appeared at the presser after a game that they lost wearing a silver TOP HAT. I am sure that there are some fans who will look the other way when their so-called "heroes say really dumb things or do dumb things. Until now, Rose has been excused for not playing when medically cleared to play but I think that this is over. This shit makes me categorize these jocks as being selfish pussies. Really, Derrick???? Ouchy ankles? It is one thing if a player risks permanent disability if he played but being "ouchy" and not playing while pocketing tens of millions of dollars is bullshit.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
I feel like this is a non story. As others have said, Derrick must've never had to give speeches in school, because he is always saying dumb things. He's gotten better, and I think that heard he hired a public speaking teacher.
Seriously, the world is surprised that the former NBA MVP that has missed playing the past two years of his prime due yo injury, is going to say that he's taking a more pragmatic approach? I think its fine, and obvious. Rose injury is at least partly tied to him not resting enough for his hip(back?) to heal fully. Would any of you be different? No.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
Also, let's remember this is November. If he's sitting out in the playoffs, then its time to call him out. This board is all about the bulls saving it for the prime time and not killing themselves during the RS.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
His words(at least how people are interpreting them), the media reaction, and how he still plays do not match.

In every game that he's played this year, he has taken multiple falls, sacrifices his body, and turns on the jets as much as he ever has.

Like I said many times before. People who want excuses to hate on Rose, will find them. It's low hanging fruit. Game-1 back from injury the same trolls will go, "he's shooting 20%". Twists his ankles when falling on someone's foot, the trolls will say, "Look, he's made of glass". When he plays hard, the trolls say, "He's stupid for playing hard on rehabed knees". When he plays less aggressively, the trolls say, "He's selfish by worrying about his health". When he initially hurt himself, trolls said, "He should take the whole season off because it makes no sense to come back, even if the Doctors clear him(then cite Doctors clearing Deng early too)." Then when he takes the season off, the trolls say, "He needs to come back". And my favorite, the trolls will ignore most facts, and focus on the most debatable. Why? They are trolls. Waste of time.
Rose says he wants to preserve his body for after his career. Seems like a rational goal to me. I don't see his critics running around with casts, braces, and bruises(from trying hard). Rose is far from an intellectual, so you have critics taking the low hanging fruit and simply rubbing it in, constantly. Wow, much brilliance.

Actions speak louder than words, and he's not holding back in game. People want to make this a Practice 2.0, when it's not.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
His words(at least how people are interpreting them), the media reaction, and how he still plays do not match.

In every game that he's played this year, he has taken multiple falls, sacrifices his body, and turns on the jets as much as he ever has.

Like I said many times before. People who want excuses to hate on Rose, will find them. It's low hanging fruit. Game-1 back from injury the same trolls will go, "he's shooting 20%". Twists his ankles when falling on someone's foot, the trolls will say, "Look, he's made of glass". When he plays hard, the trolls say, "He's stupid for playing hard on rehabed knees". When he plays less aggressively, the trolls say, "He's selfish by worrying about his health". When he initially hurt himself, trolls said, "He should take the whole season off because it makes no sense to come back, even if the Doctors clear him(then cite Doctors clearing Deng early too)." Then when he takes the season off, the trolls say, "He needs to come back". And my favorite, the trolls will ignore most facts, and focus on the most debatable. Why? They are trolls. Waste of time.
Rose says he wants to preserve his body for after his career. Seems like a rational goal to me. I don't see his critics running around with casts, braces, and bruises(from trying hard). Rose is far from an intellectual, so you have critics taking the low hanging fruit and simply rubbing it in, constantly. Wow, much brilliance.

Actions speak louder than words, and he's not holding back in game. People want to make this a Practice 2.0, when it's not.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

How many times has Rose hit the floor already this season? How many charges has he taken? How much praise has he received from his teammates and coaches? Everyone needs to calm down and stfu already.

Liked Posts:
I'm starting to lose faith in his mental toughness.

I'd really like to think that he's partially trying to rub it in the faces of his critics by saying what he said.

This guy can never be Kobe Bryant or Allen Iverson stature if this is his true mentality.

I'd have no problem with it if what he said was about future seasons, or prolonging his opportunity to continue to be a great player in the NBA long-term. But honestly, GREAT great players don't think about life beyond basketball in their mid-20's...

I'm still a fan of the guy, and rooting for him. But if that is his true mentality... he'll never be in the hemisphereH of a Jordan... or even a Pippen.

The guy isn't exactly the most articulate in interviews. I do believe that he is also thinking about maximizing his chance to win a championship when he sits out of games. But the fact that he would have the audacity to bring up the fact that he is worried about limb pain after his career is over already is bothersome. The dude is making a TON of money from this team... That is not the reason to sit out games now.

How is giving his critics more ammunition "rubbing it in their faces"? That makes no sense.

The odd thing about this is he's saying this while he has sprained ankles. If he thinks playing with that will lead to other injuries, I could at least understand that somewhat. I think this happened the year he first blew his knee. But just on its face, this is farcical.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have defended Derrick Rose. But to just say that he is a bad speaker on the mic is a huge cop-out. He's not a complete idiot. There's truth in what he said. And now you really gotta wonder if this guy values not having a constant (non-life threatening) pain for the rest of his life over doing what it takes to win a championship.

So far, this guy has missed the "right" games. Important games, yes. But not games that would've made or broke a championship season.

This season is different. He has a very capable supporting cast to help a lot offensively. If he is cleared to play in a playoff series this season (especially in a later round), that would be unforgivable.

D-Rose isn't playing football. It is basketball. I don't really care if he has to limp to his son's graduation. He's making too much money to do that.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Everyone needs to calm down and stfu already.

Derrick is the only one that needs to shut up

he has been a nightmare these past 3 years and i can't blame the fans of ripping him like they do anymore

i mean he doesn't play, doesn't recruit, says stupid stuff...its annoying

its time for him to just play basketball

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
FWIW, when Derrick plays hurt (and he does sometimes) he tends to suck. If his body is one that recovers slowly like appears to be case, what use is it to get upset with him about it?

One thing that people haven't mentioned yet is that, with two injured ankles, his body will naturally compensate if he is out there. Do we really want him possibly damaging one of his knees as he compensates for the ankle injuries?

Let him heal completely and then play. Championships are not won in November.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
At a time where he should be trying like hell to basically reintroduce himself to Bulls fans as a great player. Yeah.....I think he should have to prove himself and to say what he said is stupid and ill timed and casts a lot of basic doubt as a teammate and leader.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
One thing that people haven't mentioned yet is that, with two injured ankles, his body will naturally compensate if he is out there. Do we really want him possibly damaging one of his knees as he compensates for the ankle injuries?

Let him heal completely and then play. Championships are not won in November.

I could have sworn that yesterday afternoon Tom was saying Derrick was 100%

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Athletes say dumb things all the time. The issue is two fold:

1) Derrick has a horrible PR
2) Derrick meant every word of it. (We are into day #3 without a clarifying correction. )

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Seems to me, after only reading the first two posts of this thread, that if you're a Bulls fan you would be happy about his comments. Seeing as how this team DESPERATELY needs offense, and seeing as how Rose brings offense - the last thing you'd want is him getting hurt and not playing games when it matters.

I think the lady (Chicago Sports Media) doth protest too much.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Sitting out games in the regular season is fine. That's what most of us want. The problem is his comments combined with previous actions doesn't make us sure that he'll be there in the playoffs.

Benchmob757

Liked Posts:
While I want to share the sentiment of "he's a bad public speaker," I'm not going to give him this excuse. He's not mentally challenged and if any other player from any other team said this, we'd tear him apart. Business meetings and graduations? He has sprained ankles, not multiple concussions. Nobody would care if he just said he was playing it safe and that coming back to a full schedule after missing two whole seasons is taxing. We'd get that. But don't give us this shit about being sore after basketball.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I could have sworn that yesterday afternoon Tom was saying Derrick was 100%
Definitely looked like it against Detroit. Night and day from that Milwaukee game imo.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

I agree with this post. And if you replaced detractors with supports I'd agree with this post too.