Derrick Rose's comments about 'life after basketball'

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
""I feel I've been managing myself pretty good. I know a lot of people get mad when they see me sit out. But a lot of people don't understand that when I sit out it's not because of this year. I'm thinking long term. I'm thinking about after I'm done with basketball, having graduations to go to, having meetings to go to. I don't want to be in my meetings all sore or be at my son's graduation all sore just because of something I did in the past. Just learning and being smart."

I'm starting to lose faith in his mental toughness.

I'd really like to think that he's partially trying to rub it in the faces of his critics by saying what he said.

This guy can never be Kobe Bryant or Allen Iverson stature if this is his true mentality.

I'd have no problem with it if what he said was about future seasons, or prolonging his opportunity to continue to be a great player in the NBA long-term. But honestly, GREAT great players don't think about life beyond basketball in their mid-20's...

I'm still a fan of the guy, and rooting for him. But if that is his true mentality... he'll never be in the hemisphere of a Jordan... or even a Pippen.

The guy isn't exactly the most articulate in interviews. I do believe that he is also thinking about maximizing his chance to win a championship when he sits out of games. But the fact that he would have the audacity to bring up the fact that he is worried about limb pain after his career is over already is bothersome. The dude is making a TON of money from this team... That is not the reason to sit out games now.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I was hoping this story would escape this forum. Well it didnt.

Now that you brought it up...

So what? Derrick Rose is the worst public speaker ever. You don't think other players have these thoughts? Many do, they just aren't dumb enough to say it in a press conference. Rose was asked a question and he answered it honestly instead of the rehearsed hogwash we always hear.

Will Rose ever be Kobe? nope. Will he ever be Iverson? Do I want him to be?

There was a preseason article in which Rose's brother was quoted as telling the media Rose does not like pain. So is it a surprise he sits out when hes hurting?

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

So what? Derrick Rose is the worst public speaker ever. You don't think other players have these thoughts? Many do, they just aren't dumb enough to say it in a press conference. Rose was asked a question and he answered it honestly instead of the rehearsed hogwash we always hear.

There was a preseason article in which Rose's brother was quoted as telling the media Rose does not like pain. So is it a surprise he sits out when hes hurting?

It is disappointing to say the least to think that the first thing that pops into his mind would be life after basketball- as opposed to prolonging his career or his prime. It is very hard to defend him, but I still do. I feel as though the games he has sat out have been with a good purpose. But that was a flat out dumb thing to say.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
It goes back to the fact that he sat out the playoffs and end of the season in 2013 when our guys were the walking wounded and he WAS CLEARED BY THE DOCTORS TO PLAY. Rose is a selfish piece of human waste that clearly doesn't care about his team or winning. Houeffna was right about this asshole. There's a lot of professional athletes, people that perform manual labor, and military veterans like myself that deal with physical ailments due to their careers and very few of us remove ourselves from work when other people are almost killing themselves trying to accomplish missions. Rose is what soldiers would call a Sick Call and Profile Ranger. Fuck Him

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It is disappointing to say the least to think that the first thing that pops into his mind would be life after basketball- as opposed to prolonging his career or his prime. It is very hard to defend him, but I still do. I feel as though the games he has sat out have been with a good purpose. But that was a flat out dumb thing to say.
Does anyone know exactly what the question was that was asked to him?

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It goes back to the fact that he sat out the playoffs and end of the season in 2013 when our guys were the walking wounded and he WAS CLEARED BY THE DOCTORS TO PLAY. Rose is a selfish piece of human waste that clearly doesn't care about his team or winning. Houeffna was right about this asshole. There's a lot of professional athletes, people that perform manual labor, and military veterans like myself that deal with physical ailments due to their careers and very few of us remove ourselves from work when other people are almost killing themselves trying to accomplish missions. Rose is what soldiers would call a Sick Call and Profile Ranger. Fuck Him

You don't win a championship by getting past the second round. The Bulls weren't going to in 2013 year- with or without Rose. Just because you are cleared to play doesn't mean you are 100% recovered. Why risk aggravating injury and shortening the prime of your career?

I don't agree with you calling him human waste, obviously, but I do think that Rose needs to shut up and stop worrying about things that aren't nearly as important.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Does anyone know exactly what the question was that was asked to him?

It was a basic beat reporter's question to Derrick on how satisfied he was with his game. Nick Friedell reported that yesterday on the Waddle and Silvy Show.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
You don't win a championship by getting past the second round. The Bulls weren't going to in 2013 year- with or without Rose. Just because you are cleared to play doesn't mean you are 100% recovered. Why risk aggravating injury and shortening the prime of your career?

I don't agree with you calling him human waste, obviously, but I do think that Rose needs to shut up and stop worrying about things that aren't nearly as important.

You also can't rely on Rose to help our team win a championship since he'll find any excuse to not play and when you take the garbage he pulled two seasons ago, his sitting out of games now, and his recent comments into context you can see that as long as Rose is a high paid member of the Bulls that they won't win squat.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

How could it escape this forum? Google "Derrick Rose" and every outlet is running it, taking the whole 1st page of results.

Instead of his life after Basketball, Rose should be thinking of his life without it. Him, and his family would still be stuck in Englewood.

He needs to toughen up.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
old school players like kobe, jordan etc are gone. This is the new breed of basketball pussies

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
I was pissed when I first heard this, but then I put it in perspective:

1. Derrick is often an imbecile when he gets a mike in front of him...dude just doesn't understand tact or how to represent himself
2. He was probably commenting on the fact that he played at about 50-70% on two hurt ankles just to appease people the other night, and that it make more sense (I agree) to rest up and get fully healthy so as not to make the situation worse.

I fully understand people thinking "God DAMN not again" when he sits, due to the last two years, but we've got to understand that doesn't matter now. What matters is managing his health and helping his team in April this year.

TheBullsBro23

Liked Posts:
Not sure how to react

Maybe I'm just in denial, but i want to believe that he didn't know exactly what he wanted to say and just started rambling. He's not the smartest guy in the world.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:

Absolutely right, Rami. In hindsight, I'm glad they played it conservative and didn't have him come back in 2013 (when they would have just lost to Miami anyway). Now there's a window open with an aging Spurs team, Okie City's injuries, and Miami being broken up, and Cleveland not quite figuring it out yet. This may just work out for the best yet. Fingers crossed.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
FWIW, when Derrick plays hurt (and he does sometimes) he tends to suck. If his body is one that recovers slowly like appears to be case, what use is it to get upset with him about it?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
FWIW no one knows what would have happened had Rose played in the playoffs.