Gaming PC/Laptop Questions

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm thinking about getting a gaming PC. I posted in another thread about alienware's new console type system but Bot said alienware is a no-go. I really want to upgrade from PS3 to PS4 but I've been wondering if it wouldn't be better to just get a laptop or PC for gaming. With a kid around, I'm not going to play a lot of today's games on the big screen. I just don't know what I'm looking for in a computer in order to play most games.

I can't spend $1000 on a computer. I've seen some just browsing on Ebay for $500 or $600. Specs are pretty much 6GB RAM or higher, i5 2.47 or higher, 500GB HDD or higher...stuff like that. Is there anything else I should be looking at in a computer for gaming? Like video cards and such?

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Don't get a gaming laptop. You'll be spending upwards of $2,000+ to get anything respectable. If you have the know-how, it is much much cheaper to buy pc hardware separately (from newegg, tigerdirect, amazon etc) and then building the rig yourself.

You're not going to get much of a machine for under $600 unless you build it yourself unfortunately...

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably just going to go with the PS4.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yeah, unfortunately part of enjoying PG gaming, needs to be enjoying PC building. Building is rewarding, as long as you don't turn it into a chore. Kind of like how video games give you points, but really those mean shit IRL, but building your rig gives you real life experience and saves you money.

So when someone says Alienware, right off the bat either you have money to blow or not. And if not, console it is. But depending on the game types you're into, you can save a lot of cash going the PC route. Hell, you can even just hook it up to a TV and use it like a console.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you aren't gonna spent $1000 (really more like $1200-$1400) on a gaming PC, its probably not worth it. You won't be able to run shit. If you are restricted to the $400-600 range, you are way better off getting a console.

And forget gaming laptops. Never never never unless you are rich as fuck or literally live on the road. You will pay 150% markup for a gaming laptop over a PC. And you will constantly be battling heat problems and your shit will we worthless in 4-5 years.

Like Cry said, the only option if you go PC is to build it yourself. There is nothing to be intimidated about. Its literally plug and play, as long as you select the right components.

Also, like Crys said, games get cheap on PC fast. They often dont drop on console for years. But a PC, $60 games drop as lot as $10 in a month or 2.

Last edited:

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I was you, I would price a PC out. I would start with a i7 4770 cpu, a GeoForce 970 gpu, A mother board, and a PSU and you will have a good estimate. And that is a system that will last 4 years without a new gpu, probably 8+ years with one gpu upgrade. You can cut corners and get a regular HDD and leave it until later to upgrade to a SSD.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I want to add that this is such a rough time for building and buying a PC for many things, including gaming. We're seeing the slowest standards transition in the last 30 years, just because of the bus bottleneck surrounding all of these new standards. You have new gen DDR4, SATA3.2, USB 3.1, PCIe4, DirectX12/OpenGL 4.5, and the slow transition to 4K and 8K displays(which means displayport vs HDMI)...all on early implementations. Where the bus bottleneck comes in, is an issue with requiring the CPU to readdress all of its interrupt lanes actively. It's both a power issue and a performance issue. Therefore everything on your board will be bottlenecked from either the non-mature standards or from addon chips/cards that aren't taking advantage of it.

We saw something like this in 93 and 2002. And as we know, by the time the big bus standards matured, we had a few hardware renaissances that stirred up the PC world. By 1995, you had 32-bit make a major swing when the Pentium added true floating point to an affordable CPU and made it attractive , then in 2003 64-bit made a major swing when AMD pushed the first successful 64-bit consumer x86. The two events happened because of other events, and not because companies simply figured it on on their own. The P5 architecture had to drop most RISC coproccessing to make it work after a 4 year design battle and fight with the entire standards community(the community won, intel listened, and this is where RISC vs CISC started to die as an argument for mainstream CPU futures). And when the DEC Alpha team disbanded, they reformed with AMD because they did not like Intel's shady business practices to produce the 64-bit solution. They were the best 64-bit CPU designers in the world at the time, which is why the david beat the goliath for a few years here. Right now, nobody, and I mean NOBODY exists to push a new idea through. Intel is back to their old practices that piss off the open hardware community, and AMD isn't sure if they are focusing on mobile or desktop.

The 128-bit CPU is not a solution this time, it's a different beast. Although a 128-Bit CPU could help the hardware side in some areas, it would hurt just as much. 128-bit would also create a huge software problem. So it's possible that the asynchronous multi-architecture CPU will be a realistic solution, despite being one that chip-makers have tried to avoid for the last 10 years(well, except nVidia and the Tegra). And TBH, I doubt we'll see a true async CPU hit the mainstream as well. So we're waiting on more expensive, but known solutions, to become cheaper.

TL;DR, or too much nerd...
Sorry to Monk, or anyone who has been wanting to get into a max-setting PC gaming rig. You're basically going to buy high right now for hardware that can become severely outdated in a matter of 1 year. The simple 'drop in a new GPU card' argument will not future-proof you very well this go around(unless you want to convince yourself it's all you need and be stubbornly happy with what you have, as most people will need to do in order to justify a premature big purchase)/end of TL;DR moment

But a budget gaming rig, accepting that you wont be getting max settings(still better graphics than a console) is a smarter build. Half budget now, half budget later type of thinking. While this is always true as a good method, it's especially true until all of those standards have settled. The good news is that nearly every one of these standards changes will bring component pricing down, especially where open hardware standards exist, like USB 3.1, SATA 3.2 and displayport 1.3(which should become the industry standard as well, because HDMI is pretty limited, and comes with pricey licensing fees to manufacturers).

Then we have the substrate issue and the lithography issue.... But that will be the next major breakdown of the computing industry in 2022-or so. Even the possibility of quantum computing as a consumer level purchase will run into the same exact issues.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thats interesting shit.

I wonder though if games have reached a unique point in gaming history where graphics and fidelity are no longer the primary driver of the market. They have reached a point where, if you can run max setting now, the games are almost at a wall graphically. Shit, I just played dead space 1 and 2 and they looked great. Those games are years old. Thats a new thing that you can play a game thats 3-4 years old and its doesn't look like shit anymore.

Also seems like right now, developers are up against a wall in terms of budgets. It seems like we have reached a point of intensely diminishing returns as far as pushing increased graphics and fidelity. I think its cool because it is forcing devs to focus on gameplay and story as selling points.

I still think that a rig built right now could last a very long time. I mean, as it is right now, consumer software hardly takes advantage of what hardware we already have. It seems like as long as you are ok not jumping to 4k for a long time, that major hardware upgrades just aren't going to be that necessary.

Also, there is a point where if you are building a PC where you just can't worry about future proofing. If you want one, you just build the best you can budget. Because the shit never stops progressing and if you focus too much on what is right around the corner, you won't ever jump in. In the end what really matters is what your budget is and how much you value gaming. I still think that if you can't spend upwards of 1k, a console is a better option.

Last edited:

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, for me, getting a mid range system just leads to frustration. For me, I wound up fucking with setting and OCing and pushing my shit to its limit, trying to get games to run games at that optimal balance between graphics and framerate. If you get into PC gaming, eventually that shit is gonna piss you off to the point where you just buy a rig that can run the shit on high. imo, you are better off just going big to start.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
If I was you, I would price a PC out. I would start with a i7 4770 cpu, a GeoForce 970 gpu, A mother board, and a PSU and you will have a good estimate. And that is a system that will last 4 years without a new gpu, probably 8+ years with one gpu upgrade. You can cut corners and get a regular HDD and leave it until later to upgrade to a SSD.

Have to disagree about getting an i7. Unless you're going to be doing video editing or some other processor-intensive tasks, you're better off getting a good i5 processor and using the savings on a better video card. A good processor and a great video card is going to net you more functional gaming performance than a great processor and a good video card, every day of the week.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, for me, getting a mid range system just leads to frustration. For me, I wound up fucking with setting and OCing and pushing my shit to its limit, trying to get games to run games at that optimal balance between graphics and framerate. If you get into PC gaming, eventually that shit is gonna piss you off to the point where you just buy a rig that can run the shit on high. imo, you are better off just going big to start.

I tried to run some games on my regular PC and it's terrible. I turned graphics to the minimal and it was still so choppy it was unplayable.

What I'm getting from Crys, is to maybe invest in a PS4 (or whatever console) and wait on investing in a PC for maybe a year or so.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I tried to run some games on my regular PC and it's terrible. I turned graphics to the minimal and it was still so choppy it was unplayable.

What I'm getting from Crys, is to maybe invest in a PS4 (or whatever console) and wait on investing in a PC for maybe a year or so.
Well you could still try to go for a PC, it just wouldn't be maxed out with the top hardware and such. You could certainly get a console instead if you want, but you could still get a decent gaming PC going and wait a year to upgrade it or something to that effect. Just kinda depends on where you want to put your money I guess. Getting a console isn't really a bad thing necessarily if it's more cost effective for you and you'll be using it a bunch regardless.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I own a beast of a Laptop that I game on.... I am always in my living room and not at my desk upstairs so I like having the laptop. If you wanted one of these, what everyone said it correct, you gotta spend 600$-800$ more than you would on a gaming PC with similar capability.

This is what I went with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231090

Now as for doing custom gaming PC builds.... I will again echo the crowd.... you need to have 1200$ minimum if you wanna build something good to start off with..... good, maybe not elite but good enough to play anything you wanna play. It is never worth it to scrimp and save on a build only to go spending that money again for upgrades. Spend 150$ on a video card instead of 300$ and in a year or 2 you will be spending 250-300$ to get a new one and now you invested more than you needed to. Same goes for CPU.... go cheap and save 50$ or 100$ and then spend again upgrading because you cannot play what you want to play.

I will throw this out there..... Newegg is my favorite place to buy computer parts and they have a credit account called a Newegg Preferred Account. The account always has financing deals for 6 month or 12 month no interest, no minimum payments (be careful there) on purchases totaling 250$ or more and 500$ or more. The last 2 times I built or bought a laptop I used this.... paid half off to start on my last build and then paid the other half about a year later before the interest hit. If you have 500$-600$ to spend now and think you could have 500$-600$ to spend say after tax refund.... you could go for what you want now and pay half now and half after tax season. If you really wanted to do the gaming computer over a console.

Never go cheap on your gaming rig if you are going to build one....

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Oh and Monk.... hurry.... I need help in L4D2.... need so much help....

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah I have a laptop that I use for gaming as well. Cost around $1200 I think, but I happened to buy it on sale. It does everything I need it to gaming wise. It has pretty good graphics and usually never lags. That said, I'm not a huge PC gamer and the games I play usually don't need a ton of graphics power. I was able to run GTA 4 without a hitch though.

For reference: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y510p/#tab-tech_specs

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
IS MY GUITAR SMASHING NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?!? :hitler:

Nah... you are good... just need Monk's guidance is all.

200.gif

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

Skylake would be the ideal target build, if you can wait. It has a decent workaround for the bus problem, although not a full solution. Regular users wont notice the difference, and you'll have room to upgrade over-time with a good base to build on. I would say 8 months for Skylake. Unfortunately, because Intel isn't getting competition from AMD, and Rory Read(CEO that stepped down last month) basically shat on enthusiasts in his 3 years at the company to focus on niche markets and ultramobile development. When Intel gets no competition, they act Special person. So 8 months could become a year. IDK. Just note that Intel has been showing off Skylake for a months now, so most of it is ready, they are just milking the latest releases before this really rolls out.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I have a laptop that I use for gaming as well. Cost around $1200 I think, but I happened to buy it on sale. It does everything I need it to gaming wise. It has pretty good graphics and usually never lags. That said, I'm not a huge PC gamer and the games I play usually don't need a ton of graphics power. I was able to run GTA 4 without a hitch though.

For reference: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y510p/#tab-tech_specs

Oh good. Sold out. Thanks for nothing Clone! :tongue::troll:v-::-v

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I own a beast of a Laptop that I game on.... I am always in my living room and not at my desk upstairs so I like having the laptop. If you wanted one of these, what everyone said it correct, you gotta spend 600$-800$ more than you would on a gaming PC with similar capability.

This is what I went with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231090

Now as for doing custom gaming PC builds.... I will again echo the crowd.... you need to have 1200$ minimum if you wanna build something good to start off with..... good, maybe not elite but good enough to play anything you wanna play. It is never worth it to scrimp and save on a build only to go spending that money again for upgrades. Spend 150$ on a video card instead of 300$ and in a year or 2 you will be spending 250-300$ to get a new one and now you invested more than you needed to. Same goes for CPU.... go cheap and save 50$ or 100$ and then spend again upgrading because you cannot play what you want to play.

I will throw this out there..... Newegg is my favorite place to buy computer parts and they have a credit account called a Newegg Preferred Account. The account always has financing deals for 6 month or 12 month no interest, no minimum payments (be careful there) on purchases totaling 250$ or more and 500$ or more. The last 2 times I built or bought a laptop I used this.... paid half off to start on my last build and then paid the other half about a year later before the interest hit. If you have 500$-600$ to spend now and think you could have 500$-600$ to spend say after tax refund.... you could go for what you want now and pay half now and half after tax season. If you really wanted to do the gaming computer over a console.

Never go cheap on your gaming rig if you are going to build one....

I'll probably drop like $500 on a PS 4 and some games before Christmas. Then after the new year I'll look to saving up. I have no idea what I'll be looking for though. I'll probably need to post some things and just be like "Is this good or nah? Cause computer parts hurt my brain."