The Rise of Jimmy Butler

Liked Posts:
Looks like the Bulls found the third amigo to our own big three by giving Butler a chance. Thus guy can ball and play lockdown defense. Butler not only is filling Deng's shoes, but he might become an even better overall player.

Sent from the uterus of Madonna

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
the leap he made from last year to this year is unbelievable

really hes impressed me so much im not sure if i believe hes this good yet

one thing i wish is thibs would dial back his minutes some

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He has a more versatile offensive game than Deng it seems like. Deng always sorta looked awkward offensively. Butler looks a lot more fluid in that regard. If he gets his 3pt shot consistent, I don't think there's an argument for him not being better than Deng.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
He has a more versatile offensive game than Deng it seems like. Deng always sorta looked awkward offensively. Butler looks a lot more fluid in that regard. If he gets his 3pt shot consistent, I don't think there's an argument for him not being better than Deng.

I don't see a difference in their D, that is they both play D at a high level, so the O difference is what sets them apart, in my opinion. Butler is better Offensively.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't see a difference in their D, that is they both play D at a high level, so the O difference is what sets them apart, in my opinion. Butler is better Offensively.
I'd say Butler is even better on D than Deng ever was. He generates turnovers, something that Deng never really did. He's got more athleticism and strength to use as well. Perhaps that's a matter of opinion though. Not to discount Deng either, he's definitely one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. I agree though that the offensive capabilities are what truly separates them from each other. Butler just seems like he has the more complete offensive game.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Fundamentally they are similar defensively, but Butler has better instincts, reacts faster, plays stronger, and is quicker. So Butler is a better defender, in that he can handle opposing strength and athleticism better than Deng can.

With all that said, it would be nice if Deng were still here, with the roster constructed as it currently is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just hope that he really has improved and that he isn't playing for a new contract. There have been a lot of players that had their breakout season on a contract year, then they went back to mediocrity after signing that paper.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just hope that he really has improved and that he isn't playing for a new contract. There have been a lot of players that had their breakout season on a contract year, then they went back to mediocrity after signing that paper.
I want to believe that Jimmy is a hard worker and would play his best regardless of whether he was in a contract year or not. That said, it is a contract year so while a breakout year is almost expected at this point, that contract is probably playing a big part of his motivation to do well.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
I want to believe that Jimmy is a hard worker and would play his best regardless of whether he was in a contract year or not. That said, it is a contract year so while a breakout year is almost expected at this point, that contract is probably playing a big part of his motivation to do well.

Regardless, if a team makes a player prove his market value and he does, the team should meet his terms.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Butler is not necessarily above the high point of Deng, but Butler at SG plus an army of SF's (Dunleavy, McDermot, Mirotic, Snell) who all have situational abilities, is better than Deng and the SG's we had while we waited for Butler to develop fully.

You could see this coming for years though, him improving offense every year, one good year of 3's, learning about effieciency without the player he was selected to compliment. Playing top notch defense and his attitude and toughness. I honestly don't know why he wasn't locked up early. Stupid front office gonna pay, and Reinsdorf is gonna have to suck it up and pay some luxury tax to keep this core together. Idiots. And I think we will find out, cheap.

Asik was questionable, poison contract and had to go. But can you imagine what Indy will offer Butler, or a team like Charlotte, maybe Atlanta.

He fits with almost any combo of players being versatile at SG and SF. If we don't match I will flip the fuck out and send nasty letters. Time to bleed from the pockets Reinsdorf, because Garpax is logical, great at seeing talent, but lacks great vision in some regards. They got lucky to land Mirotic at all, and in order to move this team forward next year they are probably going to have to trade Gibson unfortunately to pay Butler and make minutes for Mirotic. Or.....Reinsdorf can pay out the ass for one year until Gasol is off the books....but

I don't want to start getting lost in whats possible or not with the NBA book of madness on contracts.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Regardless, if a team makes a player prove his market value and he does, the team should meet his terms.
Agreed. But I get the whole thing about being wary of players being lazy once they've locked in guaranteed money and stuff. There's plenty of examples of that throughout NBA history. I just don't think Jimmy is one of those guys...he's a hard worker to his core.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
the leap he made from last year to this year is unbelievable

really hes impressed me so much im not sure if i believe hes this good yet

one thing i wish is thibs would dial back his minutes some

It could be that all of that scrimmaging against the US Olympic team too him to a higher level. By all accounts that I read, he really worked hard against those guys.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

We should already know how hard of a worker he is. His story is an amazing one about his father leaving when he was three years old and his mother throwing him out of the house at 12. God knows he had it difficult and worked his way through it.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Clippers broadcasters were extremely high on him in their broadcast. One said that he was probably the nicest guy in the NBA and told the story about his early childhood. They also were extremely high on Mirotic as a future star in the league.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
We should already know how hard of a worker he is. His story is an amazing one about his father leaving when he was three years old and his mother throwing him out of the house at 12. God knows he had it difficult and worked his way through it.
From wiki:

Before the 2011 draft, one NBA general manager said about Butler, "His story is one of the most remarkable I've seen in all my years of basketball. There were so many times in his life where he was set up to fail. Every time, he overcame just enormous odds. When you talk to him — and he's hesitant to talk about his life — you just have this feeling that this kid has greatness in him.

DCguy

Liked Posts:
Jimmy has gone back to playing his game which is attacking the rim and not trying to shoot 3s all day. He is even posting guys up like he did back at Marquette, he's clearly playing with crazy swagger.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ball-handling, play-making, and defense are the key areas where Butler is better than Deng. Deng, however, was a much better pure shooter when un-guarded.

I think Butler is now in the same echelon as Deng. I prefer Butler as a better fit for the Bulls than Deng mostly for offensive reasons. He is a willing and able passer, and he attacks the basket and gets to the line. The Bulls needed a stand-out athletically (mainly in transition) other than Rose, and they now have that in Jimmy Butler.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:

This is the same guy that wasn't supposed to make it to the college level and that was a borderline NBA prospect. I don't think he will ever lose that chip off his shoulder.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jimmy has been a 100% effort guy since he has been here. Unless he was intentionally bricking shots last season, the improvement is real... Do you think he was sandbagging on his shooting % last season?

I can see your argument if a marginal player known for half-assing has a breakout year in a contact year, by turning up their effort. But Butler is playing with the same effort he always has. It just looks like he worked on his offensive game in the off season.