ATT: LOVIE NUTHUGGERS - please return to reality

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's review the facts first... I think I can speak for everyone when I say we're all beyond tired of hearing the revisionist history about the "elite defenses" from Lovie's annoying zealots.

2004:
Scored 231 points (14.4/g), 32nd of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 331 points (20.7/g), 13th.

2005:
Scored 260 points (16.2/g), 26th of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 202 points (12.6/g), 1st.

2006:
Scored 427 points (26.7/g), 2nd of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 255 points (15.9/g), 3rd.

2007:
Scored 334 points (20.9/g), 18th of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 348 points (21.8/g), 16th.

2008:
Scored 375 points (23.4/g), 14th of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 350 points (21.9/g), 16th.

2009:
Scored 327 points (20.4/g), 19th of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 375 points (23.4/g), 21st.

2010:
Scored 334 points (20.9/g), 21st of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 286 points (17.9/g), 4th.

2011:
Scored 353 points (22.1/g), 17th of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 341 points (21.3/g), 14th.

2012:
Scored 375 points (23.4/g), 16th of 32 in the NFL. Allowed 277 points (17.3/g), 3rd.

Defensively, the only time Lovie's defense was "elite" was from 2005 until Mike Brown and Tommie Harris got injured in 2006. That's it. Without a stud safety like Mike Brown roaming in the middle of his secondary and a pre-injury Tommie Harris playing out of his mind at the 3-technique his defenses were nothing special. The 2010 and 2012 defenses while decent units were not "elite" as they were very dependent on turnovers. When they didn't convert them they were completely average units that were easily picked apart (See: Russell Wilson's OT coming out party or Peyton Manning's dink and dunk picking apart of his cover 2 in the SB).

Offensively, his teams were a complete joke save for 2006 (the first half of the season anyways until defenses figured out how to easily make Grossman self destruct). He didn't give 2 shit's about offense due to his Special person philosophy that you don't need the offense to actually do anything besides play field position because his defense and ST can do all the scoring. :bizarro::bizarro::bizarro::bizarro::bizarro:

In summation, I find it laughable that Lovie was given 9 seasons and allowed to go thru 7 different coordinators (OC & DCs) yet we still have delusional idiots on here that long for his "elite defenses" (even though it was only really a flash in the pan and completely dependent on stud playmakers up the middle) and think he was given a raw deal... while at the same time they want to run Trestman out of town after 2 years without giving him a chance to get some young defensive talent of his own and someone better than Tucker in here to coach them.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Thanks for posting his stats. They pretty much confirm what most people with brains have been saying.... he was a top tier defensive coach and mediocre (averaged 18th) on offense.

Now that we got that out of the way, let's focus on the the Trestman/Cutler nuthuggers... since most of us actually live in the present.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Fuck...now you've done it. Couldn't you have just kept this in the other thread?

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How many Lovie nuthuggers are there? I feel like most people are on the "He wasn't terrible, he wasn't great, and it was just time to move on" boat.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK, so the last 2 times the Bears made the playoffs they were a top 5 defense. What's your fucking point and where's all these Lovie nuthuggers you speak of?

They're in a different thread yearning for his "elite" defenses. I didn't want to waste my response to get lost and buried in that thread and felt like creating a new one to clear up this misconception of Lovie's defenses being elite. They were elite for a very brief period of time that just so happens to coincidence with having absolute stud playermakers at DT and S. The moment Mike Brown and Harris went down his defenses stopped being "elite" and weren't anything special save for having a horseshoe up their ass in 2012 with all those turnovers.

My point is perhaps people should be a tad more patient with Trestman and give him the opportunity to acquire some young stud defensive players of his own instead of signing old has-beens like Jared Allen and nobodies like Ryan Mundy and MD Jennings and pretending it's the same thing. Lovie had Ron River and Rod Marinelli running his defenses, 2 legit defensive coordinators. Trestman has dumb ass Tucker. How about we get a legit DC in here to coach and draft a few more young defensive players like Fuller before we throw Trestman on the scrap heap. I'd like to see what he can do when it actually has a balanced team.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
I always thought Coach Smith should have a line of undergarment for men entitled "Lovie's Nuthuggers". I'd by nuthuggers from a guy like Lovie - I trust him.

Rise

Liked Posts:
If the Bears would have simply hired Trestman as OC and kept Lovie and the rest of his staff I can't see how anyone could argue that we would be worse off. Anyone who doubts Trestman would accept needs to only look at the year prior when he interviewed and failed to get the OC for the Browns, yeah those Browns.

Lovie had his faults and I was fine with moving on from him, especially with the coach of the year being a free agent and what I thought was an obvious hire. Oh well.

So to summarize: Arians + Staff > Lovie/Trestman/Rod/Toub > Trestman/Kromer/lol

LanceStone

Liked Posts:
I thought Broc was supposed to be good at trolling?

tumblr_n6y0h0Oour1r2wgwlo1_500.gif

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought Broc was supposed to be good at trolling?

Not trying to troll here MsPaintguy. Just sick of Lovie zealots like DaaBears and Cobblehead yap about his "elite" defenses when they really weren't very elite save for one brief period in time where it was stacked full of healthy playmakers and being coached by an actually good DC like Rivera. Gee what a coincidence that they his defense was "elite" at that point in time.

Sorry I just think it's dumb that Lovie Smith was given 9 years and 7 coordinators while people already want to scapegoat and shitcan Trestman after his first 2.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Sorry I just think it's dumb that Lovie Smith was given 9 years and 7 OC's while people already want to scapegoat and shitcan Trestman after his first 2.

Ah... So this is about Trestman afterall.

Funny you create a thread about Lovie when all you really wanted to do was nuthug Marcy.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not trying to troll here MsPaintguy. Just sick of Lovie zealots like DaaBears and Cobblehead yap about his "elite" defenses when they really weren't very elite save for one brief period in time where it was stacked full of healthy playmakers and being coached by an actually good DC like Rivera. Gee what a coincidence that they his defense was "elite" at that point in time.

Sorry I just think it's dumb that Lovie Smith was given 9 years and 7 coordinators while people already want to scapegoat and shitcan Trestman after his first 2.

LOL, he did have elite defenses, that is common knowledge. But, when is the last time that I talked about his defenses. You are just seeking attention, and pretty much a moron. Like I said in the other thread, start a special forum for this week to discuss Lovie and McCown and all that stuff. It is only Tuesday and the Lovie haters are spamming the board with this stuff.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've always seen him more as a kind of aimless whiner than a troll.

Great talking football with you as always Mick. Thanks for the invaluable contribution to this thread.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Lovie or Trestman? Is that the question. My answer would be Lovie in a landslide. We needed a GM not a new coach.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Yes, and for all of his 'elite defenses', he won jack shit.

'Elite defenses' don't win Superbowls. Complete football teams do.

In 9 years, Lovie Smith was never able to put a complete football team on the field.

We can just toss all those stats out and look at one stat that matters the most:

In 9 seasons as the coach of the Chicago Bears, Lovie Smith's Bears finished the division in 3rd or 4th place five times. 5 of 9 seasons at 3rd or last in the NFC North.

That's not mediocrity. That is failure.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Lovie or Trestman? Is that the question. My answer would be Lovie in a landslide. We needed a GM not a new coach.

Neither is the correct answer.

So, you were happy to hire a new GM, but keep a coach who, in 9 years, could never put a successful NFL offense on the field?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Possibly because Lovie's teams, despite their offensive shortcomings, were at the very least almost always prepared. They usually managed to stay in games until the end even when they lost (obviously not every time, but usually). They were never the kind of clusterfuck we've seen over the last few weeks, breaking embarassing team records for ineptitude. Hell even the vaunted offense with all its talent is only managing 22 points per game, and that's supposed to be the strngth of this team. This team has no identity, no level of cohesiveness at all, and they're generally all over the place. Lovie ran a tight ship compared to this. The respect and loyalty of his players was a testimony to that. I haven't seen anyone say that the defense was "elite" all the time. It was good more often than not. Certainly better than either unit on this team.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL, he did have elite defenses, that is common knowledge. But, when is the last time that I talked about his defenses. You are just seeking attention, and pretty much a moron. Like I said in the other thread, start a special forum for this week to discuss Lovie and McCown and all that stuff. It is only Tuesday and the Lovie haters are spamming the board with this stuff.

Why are you even posting here, I thought you were done talking about Lovie as you couldn't cope with people daring to criticize your idol in the other thread?