What's wrong with Trestman?

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
The real question is what the hell is wrong with the guy who hired him?

I don't hate Trestman, what was he supposed to do, turn down a top 15 job in all of football? I wouldn't have....you wouldn't have....

I think the guy is working hard as heck and actually cares a lot.

He looks actually really depressed over the whole thing and personally hurt over the whipping he is taking in the press.....

He isn't an NFL HC; THAT ISN'T A CRIME, that is 99.99999% of humanity.

Now who the hell hired Mel and Trestman and thought this was going to end well?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I remember 90% of the board wanted arians and when they hired trestman I was surprised by how many people were immediately like 'oh sure cool' --- maybe because emery was still on his honeymoon with fans

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember 90% of the board wanted arians and when they hired trestman I was surprised by how many people were immediately like 'oh sure cool' --- maybe because emery was still on his honeymoon with fans

Emery had a honeymoon period like I've never seen. Anything the guy did was gold for a while.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

Not true, if I was in the 10% I would of attacked everyone with their slanderous wrongness in judgement and cited my grand record at making predictions... oh wait, I'm not a certain other poster...

I'd say it was 60% Arians 35% Trestman 5%Bevell

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:

I was happy they were FINALLY starting to care about offense, which in the modern NFL is more than half the game no matter how you cut it......

I was leery of how he was going to hire a staff/attract a staff of NFL assistants since he was out of the loop in the league.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Not true, if I was in the 10% I would of attacked everyone with their slanderous wrongness in judgement and cited my grand record at making predictions... oh wait, I'm not a certain other poster...

Wasn't chip kelly in there?

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:

How many of rhe 35% had seen one down of Alouettes football under Trestman?

I'm saying....how well informed were they honestly?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Wasn't chip kelly in there?

Wasnt He was already hired? if you mean earlier... but by the time it was announced Emery had boiled it down to his 3 guys who were getting extra interviews; it was Arians, Trestman, and Bevell.

Idk of Windy was a Trestman guy.. he saw Trestman obviously.. but nobody else probably had. I actually was mainly a Trestman guy by rule of elimination. I didn't desire Arians which i've said because of Offensive scheme mainly nor thought much of Bevell who was still to that point only a guy who was under Childress for most of his OC career.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Wasnt He was already hired? if you mean earlier... but by the time it was announced Emery had boiled it down to his 3 guys who were getting extra interviews; it was Arians, Trestman, and Bevell.

Idk of Windy was a Trestman guy.. he saw Trestman obviously.. but nobody else probably had. I actually was mainly a Trestman guy by rule of elimination. I didn't desire Arians which i've said because of Offensive scheme mainly nor thought much of Bevell who was still to that point only a guy who wad under Childress for most of his OC career.

I remember your pointing out his martz-like tendencies in terms of putting qbs at risk. I was an arians bro regardless. Ten percenter. Wolverines!

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
He also coached 17 years in the NFL.

None of which as a HC....

It had been over a decade since he was even as high as OC....which in NFL years mine as well be a thousand...

I am not pounding this point, but....the point is here to be made. I am as guilty as anyone; I (we) was/were desperate for a real 21st century offense, and we wanted believe this guy was going to give it to us.....but we didn't know THAT much about the guy.

The GM should have however.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
None of which as a HC....

It had been over a decade since he was even as high as OC....which in NFL years mine as well be a thousand...

I am not pounding this point, but....the point is here to be made. I am as guilty as anyone; I (we) was/were desperate for a real 21st century offense, and we wanted believe this guy was going to give it to us.....but we didn't know THAT much about the guy.

The GM should have however.

Agreed 100%. Its Emery's job - for which he's paid very handsomely - to know.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I was a Mike McCoy guy.

I was also a Trestman fan, and if you asked me last year what the worse case scenario would have been with Trestman I would not have said this.

Worst case scenario I thought we were going to score 30 a game, and totally ignore the defense and there would be a nasty divide on the team. I never would have guessed we would be undisciplined and shitty on both offense and defense.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I remember your pointing out his martz-like tendencies in terms of putting qbs at risk. I was an arians bro regardless. Ten percenter. Wolverines!

I was on the Ariolans train as well, but I was optimistic with the Trestman hiring.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was a Mike McCoy guy.

I was also a Trestman fan, and if you asked me last year what the worse case scenario would have been with Trestman I would not have said this.

Worst case scenario I thought we were going to score 30 a game, and totally ignore the defense and there would be a nasty divide on the team. I never would have guessed we would be undisciplined and shitty on both offense and defense.

True. This.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
As someone who is pretty neutral on him, what do you find so terrible about Trestman that he needs to go after this year? Is it the decision to keep Tucker? To me that seems like more of a Chicago Bears/Emery decision than a HC decision. The offense? It's clearly a QB issue. The screwed up time management? The uneven play-calling?

I'm just curious what the tipping point was for people. The blowouts suck, but then again I never expected Trestman to be a defense guy, and the DC and personnel are bad. I'm more disappointed in the organization and their decisions as a whole, but for one reason or another haven't focused my disdain specifically on Trestman. What are your thoughts?
It was made to appear that Trestman had a large say in the direction they went with Cutler but Emery was already a big Jay fanboy so not sure how much if any say Trestman had with that.

Other than that, I think the problem with Trestman is he's simply in over his head. CFL is a far cry from the NFL so I think not only didn't his experience there prepare him to be an NFL coach but it hindered him. Different rules, far less competition and less competitive. Only had 8 teams when he was there and all but 2 would make the playoffs and obviously it's not as much struggle to out coach other HCs cause all the truly great ones are in the NFL. NFL teams can make adjustments much quicker and come up with much more complex and successful game plans. Also have to look at how different it would be to motivate the players. Likely pretty easy in the CFL where the average salary is probably still no more than 5 figures. Players would be motivated enough just cause they want to hold on to their jobs from week to week. Much different story in the NFL where you have to motivate multimillionaires w/guaranteed contracts.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I also was on the McCoy cart

but I always assume the Bears know more than me and welcomed LE FOOTBAW

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
most of the people that were on the mccoy bandwagon was more so they didnt like how old arians was

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
most of the people that were on the mccoy bandwagon was more so they didnt like how old arians was

I personally have no sour feelings for how old Arians is- the guy is only 62- LE FOOTBAW is four yrs younger

I googled the shit out of both of their ages-