Jordan Lynch

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20141118/sports/141118289/

Among the many unfortunate discoveries in a miserable 2014 Bears season is that something resembling reality is unlikely to emerge out of the bunker from which Phil Emery and Marc Trestman operate.

This would have been valuable information had Jordan Lynch possessed it back in May when the Bears sold him on the idea of signing with his hometown team.

Lynch had alternatives. There were teams interested in him at several positions, and when Jon Gruden had him at his QB camp last spring, the former NFL coach suggested -- after drilling Lynch at several spots -- that he would, "Bring him along as a quarterback and give him a small package of plays that he would be accountable for every week. That package would expand as he showed he could take it.

"I would also have him work out with the running backs. I'd have him spend a little time with the receivers. I would continue to give him as many reps as possible as he became our service squad quarterback.

"I'd even try to use him on special teams. He'd have a role that would wear him out."

Gruden went on to say he would want Lynch on his NFL team because he's a winner with great character, a guy who's tough and always makes plays when he has the ball in his hands, and some coach ought to be smart enough to get the ball in Lynch's hands.

That coach was not Marc Trestman.

A few teams spoke to Lynch about those possibilities, but the Chicago native went with his heart instead of his gut.

Lynch lost 20 pounds for the Bears to become a faster running back and special-teams player, and spent the next four months learning a new position and playbook.

"He's a really fine runner," Emery said when the Bears signed him. "The fact that he can throw with accuracy in a short area is good, too. You want as many athletes who can do as many things as possible, and he certainly presents options that way."

The Bears sure made it sound like they agreed with Gruden, that they wanted to find a way to get the ball in Lynch's hands and were willing to spend a year or two teaching him.

"He's very instinctive, especially for a quarterback between the tackles," Emery said. "He just knows where to find the soft spots. He's got really good contact balance. He doesn't go down easy. I like all those things."

But when the exhibition games began, Lynch was nearly invisible.

He led the Bears with 24 yards on 7 carries in the fourth quarter of Game 1 and then disappeared. He played special teams in Game 2 and saw no action in Seattle in Game 3, when the Bears were down 31-0 at the half.

Trestman promised that in the final preseason game, "You'll see quite a bit of him," "He'll get an opportunity," and, "It will be a good opportunity to show what he can do."

That also didn't happen.

Lynch showed up in the fourth quarter and got 6 carries when it became apparent that the entire Lynch narrative was a sham designed to create positive press.

Lynch agent Cliff Brady told the Sun-Times in May that the Bears pitched him hard, saying, "Trestman told him, 'I have 10 different things I can do with you. Come with us. Come here and we'll make it work.' "

One more statement that was far from true.

By the time Trestman was done ignoring him, and going back on the assurance that they would showcase him if they didn't have a spot for him, Lynch had given away a year of his professional life and taken on a new position and body for a team that never had any intention of giving him a chance to make the team -- or even the practice squad.

Seriously, between the horrific special teams and the daily turnover on the practice squad, the 2014 Bears couldn't find room for a player actually willing to hit someone and able to follow simple directions?

The list of players who have come and gone from the Bears' practice squad is very long. Of the original 10 on the practice squad, six remain with the team in some form and the Bears have made 41 practice-squad moves since Sept. 1.

Jordan Lynch's name is nowhere to be found in those 51 transactions.

But this isn't about whether Lynch could have made a difference in the Bears' season, whether he could have made it in the NFL with another team, or his future as a quarterback.

It's a simple question of fairness.

Why did they do it? For the feel-good story? Was it nothing more than a publicity stunt?

Lynch probably believed the worst-case scenario was a year or two on the practice squad while doing everything the Bears asked, and becoming a backup running back or special-teams player.

When the Bears dumped Lynch in August, Emery told the team website, "A big part of keeping (four) running backs was their ability to contribute on special teams. Jordan was raw to that task. He has great effort in that area. The assignments and execution of those assignments were new to him."

Well, no kidding. Was this some shocking revelation? Was it new information to Emery? Did he know what position Lynch played at NIU when he set records galore?

Why didn't they just tell Lynch that to begin with? They had to know the numbers were against him and he could have gone elsewhere.

Are the Bears' special teams so good that they couldn't have given Lynch a chance to learn? Is their short-yardage game -- which utilizes the very popular 30-yard QB sweep -- so good that Lynch was of no value?

What's clear now is that the Bears either have no idea how to evaluate talent, or they weren't honest with Lynch and signed him merely for the buzz.

Take your pick, but either way they stuck it to a great kid with a huge heart who asked for nothing and deserved better.

No longer should we be surprised.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
What a bunch of bullshit. Say what you will about Lynchs talent and his ability to play ball, but the fact the Bears toyed with the guy and have the worst special teams in the league and won't give this guy a shot is bullshit. Such bullshit. Further reason for me to say screw Emery and Trestman. I would've atleast enjoyed cheering for a hometown guy on special teams as a gunner knowing he's gonna give it his all.

Good article if you guys care to read it. Just pisses me off.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah I think they should've at least given him a shot to play ST with how crappy we've been thus far. Perhaps it's keepaway from other teams, but idk...seems like he got the shaft

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
I agree the article is bullshit but for different reasons. Lynch could have gone to any team that he was interested in. He wasn't forced to try out with his favorite team. Every player that tries out gets a fair shot (for the most part), and Lynch is no exception to that. Dozens of other players got cut too. Did Lynch really expect a guaranteed roster spot because the Bears are his favorite team and he really wanted to play for them?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
You agree to that article? That's the worst type of throwing garbage at all wall I've seen since some bad Rosenbloom pieces 4 years ago.

I don't think this board had a bigger Jordan Lynch fan than me. But Lynch is not vastly capable of a threat as an NFL player. Could he have been a special teams contributor sure, but I'm missing where the coverage-tackling units have been the poor problems. That's where he would fit in but the blocking is the sorry unit. That's not something that would be his expected role on the unit anyway.

And He isn't a QB worthy player and from the start of draft hype time around last year, Lynch was publicly saying he would switch positions to try to make an NFL roster. And wasn't pining hope on being a QB thought it was his first wish. He never had the ability to put good touch on a pass. There's no validity to the Bears taking away good opportunities other teams could of given him. He probably would of been the same type or RB/WR type player in camp and been cut. He is a good runner but as he showed in the preseason, and some people unfamiliar with him pointed out, he is hesitant and looks for holes opposed to just forcing his way in. I watched all his games, that's how he played when he was a runner even with designed QB runs. It's not really the ideal for a goalline backup RB, and truthfully, Perry was a surprise out of nowhere that definitely beat him out.

Also, I was hoping he would have any info on what Lynch has been up to at all, but no; it's an empty pathetic moan piece. Lynch could play football in Arena or in the CFL if he wanted, or that random other new startup league but I don't know if anything is happening for him in that regard.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
I actually met Jordan Lynch at a party downstate (long story) last winter/sping.

Jordan Lynch is like 5"11.5 MAYBEEEE 6". I see he was measured at 6 foot even at the combine, but honestly, I thought he looked a bit under in person-who knows.

He looked like he was 210lbs.

He didn't have big hands....

He didn't really look like an NFL player at all, and I have had the pleasure of seeing many workout. (family friends in S&C for a long time/Denver scouts)

He couldn't go under 4.75 in the 40 yd dash at the combine; a lot of people wanted to see him run in the low 4.6/high 4.5 range.

He wasn't explosive, and couldn't ever break 30 inches in the vertical. That is a really low benchmark.

He played in the MAC.

Guys, Jordan Lynch wasn't an NFL athlete. He wasn't born with the genetics to be an NFL athlete, and that is the cold reality of the situation.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What a bunch of bullshit. Say what you will about Lynchs talent and his ability to play ball, but the fact the Bears toyed with the guy and have the worst special teams in the league and won't give this guy a shot is bullshit. Such bullshit. Further reason for me to say screw Emery and Trestman. I would've atleast enjoyed cheering for a hometown guy on special teams as a gunner knowing he's gonna give it his all.

Good article if you guys care to read it. Just pisses me off.

Sorry but I think your narrative is complete bullshit. 31 other teams would be happy to squad him if they thought he had something to offer. We're still signing guys off the street yet no other team will even practice squad Lynch. Why? Because Trestman ruined him? Give me a fucking break. The guy wasn't fucking drafted. There's a reason and it's not that he's a diverse budding all star. In the NFL it's more important to do one thing well than a bunch of things meh.

Maybe he didn't get more play reps because he was never in the running and they needed to see those that may actually play. Everything Lynch can do, Tebow can probably do better. Where's he? Lynch is not big 6', not fast 4.7, not special strong and not that good a thrower. Even for special teams, you'd be better off with a backup backer, safety, TE or RB that have tackling and blocking experience. We had Cutler, Forte, and one of the best WR combos in the NFL with high expectations for Markees and an actual drafted RB this year. I suspect that if somebody approached him with the possibility of starting because of a weaker roster he'd have jumped on it. He sure knew it wasn't happening here.

At least Britton was drafted high. Notice how no one picked him up either when we waved him? You sure pick odd guys to pump.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
This happens to hundreds of players who get recruited and cut each season. What is management supposed to say when recruiting a player? "Sign with us, you'll probably get cut but sign with us anyways."?
The point of article is pretty much saying "Oh. Because the Bears are doing SO good"

You telling me you wouldn't cheer for a local guy who loves the Bears? Gimme a break. The Bears fucked him and the Bears aren't that good to begin with. It's bullshit. Give the guy atleast a shot at Special Teams. Considering, ya know, the Bears have been horrific.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Sorry but I think your narrative is complete bullshit. 31 other teams would be happy to squad him if they thought he had something to offer. We're still signing guys off the street yet no other team will even practice squad Lynch. Why? Because Trestman ruined him? Give me a fucking break. The guy wasn't fucking drafted. There's a reason and it's not that he's a budding diverse all star. In the NFL it's more important to do one thing well than a bunch of things meh. Maybe he didn't get more play reps because he was never in the running and they needed to see those that were actually play. Everything Lynch can do Tebow can probably do better. Where's he?

At least Britton was drafted high. Notice how no one picked him up either when we waved him? You sure pick odd guys to pump.
Right. Because nearly everyone on this board thought Mills was gonna be this solid good RT. Yeah. Well, like I said, he fucking blows. Britton unfortunatley has been injured so can't say much other than he atleast has the talent to play RT. Mills will be a good backup, but he's awful. So nice try.

I like Lynch because he's all heart and is a Bears fan like you and me. How can you not cheer for someone like that? And it's not like the Bears are worldbeaters here. Let's be honest, they kinda suck. They aren't a good team. Anyone watching other games on Sunday can see that. But atleast with lynch we'd know we got a local guy giving it his all. Sounds very Rudy-ish but it's true. I don't the Phil or the Bears would've been any worse off with giving J Lynch a shot.. Comparably, to ya know, every other random dude they get off the street.

I get it though. We got CFL and the CFL highlight tape of Chris Williams. I mean...That's talent.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
The point of article is pretty much saying "Oh. Because the Bears are doing SO good"

You telling me you wouldn't cheer for a local guy who loves the Bears? Gimme a break. The Bears fucked him and the Bears aren't that good to begin with. It's bullshit. Give the guy atleast a shot at Special Teams. Considering, ya know, the Bears have been horrific.

Not anymore than any other player, no.

Oh, and Tommy Zbikowski was a dumb meat head who couldn't cover the slowest WRs in the NFL.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Not anymore than any other player, no.

Oh, and Tommy Zbikowski was a dumb meat head who couldn't cover the slowest WRs in the NFL.
And a pill popper. What's your point?

The Bears aren't a good team. And yes, I find it dissapointing they couldn't give Lynch a fair shot at RB/Goalline/Special Teams/Practice Squad.

I mean, cmon.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Goal line???

What the hell was he going to play on the goal line???

Dude is tallish and thinnish for a RB and cannot jump.

Wildcat or something?

I mean...cmon, HE ISN'T AN NFL TALENT.

I think he was an amazing CFB player, and actually I always have admited NIU's program. You just can't make ground chuck Filet.....

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Right. Because nearly everyone on this board thought Mills was gonna be this solid good RT. Yeah. Well, like I said, he fucking blows. Britton unfortunatley has been injured so can't say much other than he atleast has the talent to play RT. Mills will be a good backup, but he's awful. So nice try.

I like Lynch because he's all heart and is a Bears fan like you and me. How can you not cheer for someone like that? And it's not like the Bears are worldbeaters here. Let's be honest, they kinda suck. They aren't a good team. Anyone watching other games on Sunday can see that. But atleast with lynch we'd know we got a local guy giving it his all. Sounds very Rudy-ish but it's true. I don't the Phil or the Bears would've been any worse off with giving J Lynch a shot.. Comparably, to ya know, every other random dude they get off the street.

I get it though. We got CFL and the CFL highlight tape of Chris Williams. I mean...That's talent.

Got it. Britton is good because he can't get on the field due to a rash of injuries after bombing out before this stop but Mills sucks because he actually plays through his injury and goes out there on one foot. WTF? No idea how good Mills can be at this point but guess what, he plays. Britton is a cast off, worst player on our line. He's only here because no one better got waved and he knows the system. I was never a Mills lover, just like I was never a Webb lover. They were just best man for the job of what was on hand. I think he'll ultimately be a pretty good G but to be fair, he's hard to evaluate on one foot.

How does adding less than meh players elevate a meh team? More lovable loser nonsense.