I see some guys suggest that Shaq Thompson could play NFL SS

DaBears23

Liked Posts:
Well didnt we draft damn near the same prospect in Khaseem Green who played the SS/Linebacker role in college & actually put up decent numbers?
I also feel Brock Vareen would be better suited as good cover slot CB rather then saftey

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So move Greene to SS and Vereen to nickel CB?

And when Mel Tucker tells them to play 8 yards off the receivers on 2nd and GOAL from the 3 yard line we will still be fucked lol.

I would be up for trying anyone at any spot on Defense if it helps.... but I am unsure how much any position moves will help when you have Mel Fucking Tucker at the helm steering us into icebergs

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Shaq?

DaBears23

Liked Posts:
So move Greene to SS and Vereen to nickel CB?

And when Mel Tucker tells them to play 8 yards off the receivers on 2nd and GOAL from the 3 yard line we will still be fucked lol.

I would be up for trying anyone at any spot on Defense if it helps.... but I am unsure how much any position moves will help when you have Mel Fucking Tucker at the helm steering us into icebergs

Yeah anyone w/ a brain can see Mel as a DC is pure fuckery. I wanted him gone last year. But Green actually played that position in college while making plays. Brock Vareen also played multiple positions in college but I see him as a better trail cover slot corner than jennings, he's also taller & younger and stronger than him too. Then sign Antrel Rolle as our bridge gap FS

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Could and should are different things. He is 6'1 230 and will probably weigh in around 235+ at the combine. He is taylor made for the Will spot in a 4-3 but has the athletic ability to play any spot. He is a crazy good playmaker who is always around the ball.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah anyone w/ a brain can see Mel as a DC is pure fuckery. I wanted him gone last year. But Green actually played that position in college while making plays. Brock Vareen also played multiple positions in college but I see him as a better trail cover slot corner than jennings, he's also taller & younger and stronger than him too. Then sign Antrel Rolle as our bridge gap FS

If position moves help any of these guys excel I am all for it.... I just don't see any of them succeeding under Mel Tucker.... maybe a new DC comes in and they make some changes along these lines.

DaBears23

Liked Posts:
Could and should are different things. He is 6'1 230 and will probably weigh in around 235+ at the combine. He is taylor made for the Will spot in a 4-3 but has the athletic ability to play any spot. He is a crazy good playmaker who is always around the ball.
We dont need another will backer we drafted Bostic to take over Briggs spot. I'll tell what we do need and thats a MLB that has Urlacher/Kuechly intangibles
& thats McKinney. I also like Christian jones at sam backer who can also rush the passer if some great reason we get a DC that wants to switch to a 34 defense & of course Willie Young would be the other rusher

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We dont need another will backer we drafted Bostic to take over Briggs spot. I'll tell what we do need and thats a MLB that has Urlacher/Kuechly intangibles
& thats McKinney. I also like Christian jones at sam backer who can also rush the passer if some great reason we get a DC that wants to switch to a 34 defense & of course Willie Young would be the other rusher

Can't Shea just take over at MLB? :lol:

Sagbear

Liked Posts:

I never said I wanted Thompson, and its for those reasons (see my other posts I'm a big supporter of Bostic to Will). I was high on mcKinney but I'm starting to prefer Perryman

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well didnt we draft damn near the same prospect in Khaseem Green who played the SS/Linebacker role in college & actually put up decent numbers?
I also feel Brock Vareen would be better suited as good cover slot CB rather then saftey

Ok...but you will be flamed for this because last year Greene was too fat for linebacker, too slow for linebacker, and is no SS.

Vareen, ok...I'll give a fair shot to that idea. I prefer 3 safety type players on the field these days, but they need to be good. Vareen has these little aligator arms that will compromise his coverage as a CB, and he has the strength of a safety, hence the safety position in NFL.

He can use his intelligence better there, where CB exposes his athleticism.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

This post is a person who see's whats happening, and needed. Sad fucking thing is we could have just had Urlacher, instead of searching for the next.

DaBears23

Liked Posts:
Ok...but you will be flamed for this because last year Greene was too fat for linebacker, too slow for linebacker, and is no SS.

Vareen, ok...I'll give a fair shot to that idea. I prefer 3 safety type players on the field these days, but they need to be good. Vareen has these little aligator arms that will compromise his coverage as a CB, and he has the strength of a safety, hence the safety position in NFL.

He can use his intelligence better there, where CB exposes his athleticism.
Greene senior yr he weighed in at 6'1ft 230 he ran the 40 at 4.67 with a 30" vertical.
He notched 125 tackles, 5.5 sacks & 6 forced fumbles..So explain to me why cant he drop that weight and go back to SS?..I'll wait.
& as far as Vareen alligator arm's im sure his is much longer than 5'8ft Tim Jennings & he's a former pro bowler.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Greene senior yr he weighed in at 6'1ft 230 he ran the 40 at 4.67 with a 30" vertical.
He notched 125 tackles, 5.5 sacks & 6 forced fumbles..So explain to me why cant he drop that weight and go back to SS?..I'll wait.
& as far as Vareen alligator arm's im sure his is much longer than 5'8ft Tim Jennings & he's a former pro bowler.

Your comparison of Greene and Thompson is shortsighted. They may have went through similar situations but you're missing one key ingredient. Thompson is a Blue chip talent and Greene never has been.
Greene also struggled with his weight last year. Various reports had him over 260.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Shaq can play any skill position in the NFL offense or defense and be a stud.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

And what position was he playing his senior year?

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lets not experiment with moving folks around to positions they have never played or can not play, at least in draft picks through rounds 5. If you want to try something, do so with 6th and 7th round picks.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:

What?

............What?

Dumbest thing I've read.

Khaseem Green doesn't know what 'gap control' is. He also sucks in coverage and isn't a 'sideline to sideline' player. Shaq Thompson is everything he is not.

Brock Vereen is too slow to be a CB, hency why he's a SS. IF you were gonna move him, you move him to LB.

Not everyone is a Cam Chancellor or Brian Urlacher. Don't fix what aint broken. If you like Shaq Thompson, its because he's a Mike or Will LB in your 4-3 or the non 'rush' olb in the 3-4.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

Vereen does not have any ball skills and lacks the phyisicality to play safety. It is only year 1 but I just do not see anything that says he will be in the NFL as nothing more than a backup. His college tape was not very good either.