Mirotic/Bairstow

bullcub44

Liked Posts:
Mirotic is getting more and more confident and I love it. My biggest fear with the Bulls is if a big man is not playing. I feel like Bairstow has that energy/motor that can impact games on the regular. Anybody else want to see more of him?

Cerebral

Liked Posts:
I'll agree I didn't know what to expect of Bairstow but I was impressed with his hustle. And Mirotic, it's a gift and a curse. I truely think with this frountcourt we have, he'll only see significant minutes if their were an injury to our frontcourt, which we don't want.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
Mirotic looks way better than Bairstow. I guess he should, and the difference in expectations is huge. Honestly, idk if Bairstow is worth keeping. We'll have to see how he develops.

Troy23

Liked Posts:
Being an Australian and a Bulls fan, I hope the Bulls keep Cam haha.

Longley, Anstey, Schensher and now Bairstow. Chicago has a thing bout Aussie big blokes!

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Baristow might pan out as a 2nd round pick. But not for a while. He makes way too many rookie mistakes and is way too ineffective to merit the playing time.

But he'll get a mention in the trivia department. Which Bulls rookie was first to get a start in 2014-15? I never thought the answer to that one would have been Cameron.

Liked Posts:
Baristow might pan out as a 2nd round pick. But not for a while. He makes way too many rookie mistakes and is way too ineffective to merit the playing time.

But he'll get a mention in the trivia department. Which Bulls rookie was first to get a start in 2014-15? I never thought the answer to that one would have been Cameron.

Damn lol, I could've sworn Doug had a start...maybe that was preseason

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can only imagine how Bairstow felt last night...went from never playing to starting over Mirotic. Lucky fellow

czman

Liked Posts:
Mirotic is the only rookie that deserves playing time now.

Bairstow needs to bulk up. He is not a leaper or long. He will probably need a Boozer or Reggie Evans body to useful in the NBA. Time is what he needs and his ceiling is on the low side.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I do not get why people are down on Bairstow. He looked like a pretty good college player to me, he has size and a nice short jumper. He could develop like most Bulls draft picks end up developing.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:

I do not get why people are down on Bairstow. He looked like a pretty good college player to me, he has size and a nice short jumper. He could develop like most Bulls draft picks end up developing.

I know you love him, but I think it's highly doubtful he sticks with the team. He's a 2nd round pick for a reason. He's a grinder and maybe he can find his niche in the league but he's got journeyman written all over him. If we are comparing Mirotic vs. Bairstow, like the title this thread suggests, it's moronic to think that he's even remotely close to the talent level that Niko possesses. The ONLY reason Bairstow started is because his body type matches up well with Kenneth Faried. That is it. If it was Gallinari starting instead of Faried, you can goddamn guarantee Niko would've had his first start of the season.

Plain and simple, Mirotic is the real deal. I think everyone is starting to realize that now, including him. He can get past most PF's off the dribble. He can shoot from anywhere. He has craftier post moves than anyone thought he did. His dedication & improvement on the defensive end is getting better and better with each game (5 blocks against he Celtics today). This guy has bonafide ALL STAR written all over him. It's only just a matter of time before he puts it all together. By year 2, I expect this kid to take over as starting PF.

DirtyDutchDiggler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. LA Galaxy
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Miami Dolphins
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Miami Hurricanes
I know you love him, but I think it's highly doubtful he sticks with the team. He's a 2nd round pick for a reason. He's a grinder and maybe he can find his niche in the league but he's got journeyman written all over him. If we are comparing Mirotic vs. Bairstow, like the title this thread suggests, it's moronic to think that he's even remotely close to the talent level that Niko possesses. The ONLY reason Bairstow started is because his body type matches up well with Kenneth Faried. That is it. If it was Gallinari starting instead of Faried, you can goddamn guarantee Niko would've had his first start of the season.

Plain and simple, Mirotic is the real deal. I think everyone is starting to realize that now, including him. He can get past most PF's off the dribble. He can shoot from anywhere. He has craftier post moves than anyone thought he did. His dedication & improvement on the defensive end is getting better and better with each game (5 blocks against he Celtics today). This guy has bonafide ALL STAR written all over him. It's only just a matter of time before he puts it all together. By year 2, I expect this kid to take over as starting PF.

I don't know about taking over starting PF unless we get rid of Pau or Noah which isn't going to happen but SF is a definite possibility. Niko and MDJ are very similar in size and stature but Niko's game is much more diverse. The only thing that MDJ has over him is experience and a complete understanding of Thibs' system which will keep him in the starting lineup till he is gone.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I responded to those who were down on him, that is all. I've been high on Mirotic ever since they acquired the rights to him. He will be an all-star. That is clear to me, perhaps starting next year even. Bairstow is a completely different case but he was very efficient in college and isn't afraid to bang. He can be a legit bench player but it'll take some time.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:

I agree with most of this but I can't see him starting at PF next year. Pau's been playing at an all star/all nba level. He might be a fit at SF though.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mirotic could totally be the starting PF within a few years, but I'm not sold on him as a starter next year. He's still got Pau and Taj ahead of him. Now if he can prove himself able to defend the SF without getting wrecked, we may have a spot for him there. That's assuming he's more Peja/Gallo like than Dirk like. Either way though, he's good and we should just be happy with that for right now.

the finnish ninny

Liked Posts:

^this. Theres definitely some areas of his game that need to evolve, & an off season or 2 dedicated to building body-strength, but it appears the makings of a star are present .
Another trait I haven't seen discussed much is his openness to coaching & criticism from staff & teammates. The guy just doesn't appear to be above taking criticism in-stride from his teammates or coaches. In the era of the prim a-donna pro athlete, this seems to be a rare trait. In todays nets game, camera caught him getting lambasted(& rightfully so) a couple times by his teammates, & unlike so many of todays lofty prospects, he did not brush-off, disregard, or tune it out in any way. Maybe this seems trivial, but, I personally believe this goes a long way in the development of an aspiring pro. 1 thing for sure is that this guy NEEDS TO PLAY NOW, whether its by injuries to starters, garbage-time minutes or otherwise. I regard taj highly, but I sure hope his return to the roster doesnt keep Niko from getting the meaningful minutes needed for his further development. Im not so sure that by the end of his current contract, that he wont be the most important piece of the bulls roster, Rose, Noah, Butler, Gasol included. Far-fetched sounding I know, but I believe the skill-set, attitude & physical attributes are there to make it happen.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mirotic made a shot in the second half that was amazing. He got the ball on the left side of the basket, took, I believe, one dribble, made a fake drawing his guy in the air, got fouled and flipped the ball up as he was being fouled somehow and swished it. Hell, the ball was so perfectly shot it didn't even hit the net until it was almost through, the basket. Not too many power forwards in the world could have made that shot.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mirotic made a shot in the second half that was amazing. He got the ball on the left side of the basket, took, I believe, one dribble, made a fake drawing his guy in the air, got fouled and flipped the ball up as he was being fouled somehow and swished it. Hell, the ball was so perfectly shot it didn't even hit the net until it was almost through, the basket. Not too many power forwards in the world could have made that shot.
Not many players in general could have made that. In fact, a skeptic might even say it was luck and/or coincidence!

I mess with you of course, but a degree of luck was probably involved there.