OT: Red Sox

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Looks like the redsox are also trying to get Hanley Ramirez with pablo sandoval. .. that would be a good offensive left side but a little shakey defensively for a total of about 38 per between them two...

Just wondering what that would mean with Lester for them..
If they get both do they back off Lester and maybe go for shields or cheaper route or are they going all out and using ramirez and sandoval as attractions for Lester to go back

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
That is quite risky, and would make for some awful defense over the course of their contracts.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
That is quite risky, and would make for some awful defense over the course of their contracts.

I don't believe Ramirez will play short. Rumors are suggesting the outfield (LF) which would make Cespedes expendable.

Getting rid of all of those contracts to the Dodgers, and then doing it all over again is quite the head scratcher.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don't believe Ramirez will play short. Rumors are suggesting the outfield (LF) which would make Cespedes expendable.

Getting rid of all of those contracts to the Dodgers, and then doing it all over again is quite the head scratcher.
I dont know about ramirez to LF. . Even if they did move cespedes, they still have castillo, Bradley, and craig..

Im just looking to see if they do sign them both if that means they back off of Lester...
Maybe they dont plan on going any higher then the 6/120 they offered and they know cubs offered more and moved on

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Red Sox have too many guys for too little of positions.

Ortiz: DH
Cespedes: OF/DH
Craig 1B/OF
Castillo: OF
Victorino: OF
Napoli: 1B/DH

Plus Betts, and Bradley.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I feel like Hanley would be more of a liability in LF than he is as SS

TL1961

Liked Posts:

The Red Sox already have 6 OF's.

I would think Hanley would play 3rd, and maybe that is a backup plan if they miss out on the Panda.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
The report I read said they want them both at SS/3B

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Ken Rosenthal reporting that Hanley Ramirez has agreed to a deal with boston, and it will be finalized tomorrow.

5 years, $90 million.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The report I read said they want them both at SS/3B

It appears that is correct. I wondered if Hanley was a backup plan, but obviously not, as they have agreed to a deal.

That defense will suck.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Boom Hanley signs for $90M !!!!!!!!!!!!

5/$90 to Beantown

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Wow 18 mil for ramirez and maybe 19 mil for pablo for the next 5 yrs..
Im just hoping it means bosox are taking another direction over Lester...

TL1961

Liked Posts:
They offered Lester $14 during the season, and less than $20 last week, and they're willing to pay Sandoval $19 and Ramirez $18?

Hmmmm.....

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
they may be putting together the future if ortiz retires soon. panda to DH and hanley to move to 3b. if the red sox want lester and think he is worth the dough they will sign him. cherington is no fool. he moves 200 million of theos shit to the dodgers than wins the WS. hes slick

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I dont know about ramirez to LF. . Even if they did move cespedes, they still have castillo, Bradley, and craig..

Im just looking to see if they do sign them both if that means they back off of Lester...
Maybe they dont plan on going any higher then the 6/120 they offered and they know cubs offered more and moved on

I doubt that they back off. Even if they sign Sandoval, what pitching do they have? They are going to need someone, and maybe they plan on trading to get an ACE like Hamels if they are unsuccessful at landing the free agent(s) that they want.

This is where I wish the Cubs would come in and screw it up the whole pitching market for once in my lifetime.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
The Red Sox already have 6 OF's.

I would think Hanley would play 3rd, and maybe that is a backup plan if they miss out on the Panda.

Or maybe if the sign Panda, they move Ramirez to left for a year, and prep Sandoval to be Napoli's replacement at 1B since he will be a free agent after 2015.

The surplus of outfielders could very well be trade bait like Cespedes. And Joe Kelly, being that he is controlled, could also be a part of it. If they have enough in the farm, certainly those two might be an attractive addition to a team like the Phillies since they are major league material already.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Sox got Sandoval too. Jon Heyman of CBS says 5 years, 100 mil

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Sox got Sandoval too. Jon Heyman of CBS says 5 years, 100 mil

Making the run right now. If they are still wanting Lester I can't see him not going to the Red Sox.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Making the run right now. If they are still wanting Lester I can't see him not going to the Red Sox.

There seems to be some "not so fast" talk on both of these contracts although I think early reports are most likely right and I would be surprised if they don't both sign before the holiday. As far as how it affects Lester Boston media seems to think that if Lester will sign the deal as offered they'll still ink him but are less likely to go to the high end right now. Ken Rosenthal's Tweet yesterday about 6 teams being in on Lester seems like his agent is concerned about dollars if Boston isn't going to be as aggressive on him as they seemed to be. i really don't think that there are 6 teams with the wherewithal and money to get in that derby. If Boston is out I'd call the Cubs the front runner and St. Louis the strong darkhorse, Of course I don't believe Boston in out just yet. There are also a lot of pitchers on the trading block right now including David Price, Jordan Zimmermann, Jeff Samardzija, and Cole Hamels and Boston has the major league and minor league talent to be in that mix too.