People blaming Jay?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
^ poetic no doubt. Average is better than anything else we have had. I know we get frustrated by Jay, but making bad football decisions doesn't help. With that being said if we found a better option, I would be all for replacing Jay. I'm not sure how this thread went from me saying I don't think Jay is the main problem to me "saying" I want to keep Jay at all costs. I just don't want to be stuck in the same position we were for the past 20 years with a QB who really is not qualified to win in the NFL.

If Jay does finish top 5 in TD passes, and we get rid of him without another viable option, everyone will soon renember what having a terrible QB can do to an offense. That's all I have been saying from the beginning. It's as though you have to either hate Jay or love him, being in the middle and saying he isn't the main problem isn't allowed.

As a lifelong follower of the bears... I am well versed in knowing how much it sucks not having a good QB.

Every bit of common sense said to cut ties with Cutler (or franchise him at the very least) and blow this team up for a rebuild.
I was all for a top to bottom, 4-12 rebuild after last year with the new regime. I could live with growing pains.

But to limp along with an angelo/smith team that is falling apart faster than Emery can slap free agent band-aids over the holes was doomed to failure.

Cutler is just the focal point of a horrible systematic failure.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
^well said sir. Tying him up when there were so many other holes probably wasn't the best move, but after playing JM, if that was our back up plan, I'd much rather franchise Jay.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This debate has gone on and on every since they brought Cutler in. They have given him more support and different guys to "coach him up". They've also given him a ton of money. He's FAILED! It's not all on him but plain and simply he is not as good as most of us thought he'd be.

That is the crux of the issue regarding the offense. It was one thing when Tice and Martz were calling the plays but now he was given two solid guys in Trestman and Kromer and he still can't lead this team worth a crap despite having a top three running back behind him.

They need to jettison Cutler if they can and bring someone else in. This team needs to strt over again. especially on defense and it will take at least 2-3 years to become decent. Offense is not nearly as bad but they need to fix the QB situation. Eliminating the drama regarding Cutler would be an improvement in itself.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cutler seems to be a half second late lot. The good quarterbacks somehow have a sort of sixth sense in the pocket like they have eyes in the back of their head. He doesn't. He a lot of times holds the ball a bit too long and either gets hit or throws off of his back foot and the ball floats. He also seems to fear any of the intermediate routes toward the middle of the field. Its frustrating to watch, especially when the other team gets the ball and exploits our defense in the same area.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd consider trading for Manziel and also drafting the best quarterback available in the draft and have an old fashioned qb competition. There re no quick fixes for this team. They need way too much, especially on defense. To me, Bostic is the only guy among our lbs who could make an NFL roster and our safeties also suck. This is another reason why I would suggest a guy like Shaw who has experience with young players as well as being an aggressive leader of men. That team on the field yesterday was not motivated and haven't been for some time. Find a desperate team and trade Cutler. Find someone who could rally people and build around Jeffrey, Long, Bennett, and Forte while you try and build a defense.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nobody blames Jay. Look at his career since his rookie year. It's always been the headcoach, O coordinator, QB coach, WR's, O-lines fault. He's underachieved his whole career because of everyone else around him. :shot:

It is a case of extremes with Cutler. Its either short screens or a few long bombs. Very little in between stuff where huge chunks of yardage gets gained by good teams. He never rolls out and very seldom steps into his throws. A guy who is supposed to have a cannon never gets to shoot it off. How many times have you guys heard these words............ He has all of the tools........ he can make all of the throws............ he can move around athletically......... etc. etc. Well, if those things are true, then he is keeping most of it under wraps because I sure don't see them on display. He's like the knock-out girl who teases but doesn't put out. She needed to be dumped for someone else and so does he. Someone that puts out!!!!!

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wonder how many total 15-20 yard routes were called in that game? No excuse for not doing them. Not when you have Bennett, Marshall, and Jeffrey. They are just wasting resources. Hell, play Clausen next week just for shits and grins and run a no huddle offense.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder how many total 15-20 yard routes were called in that game? No excuse for not doing them. Not when you have Bennett, Marshall, and Jeffrey. They are just wasting resources. Hell, play Clausen next week just for shits and grins and run a no huddle offense.

I also noticed that they dont use those routes anymore...No deep slants or crossing routes..No square ins either

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:

That's all I want for the rest of the season. Just let loose and play some freaking football. I'm sick of watching a scared team try to be perfect five yards at a time. It doesn't play to the strength of anyone on the team.

Neolithic

Liked Posts:
It is a case of extremes with Cutler. Its either short screens or a few long bombs. Very little in between stuff where huge chunks of yardage gets gained by good teams. He never rolls out and very seldom steps into his throws. A guy who is supposed to have a cannon never gets to shoot it off. How many times have you guys heard these words............ He has all of the tools........ he can make all of the throws............ he can move around athletically......... etc. etc. Well, if those things are true, then he is keeping most of it under wraps because I sure don't see them on display. He's like the knock-out girl who teases but doesn't put out. She needed to be dumped for someone else and so does he. Someone that puts out!!!!!

Perhaps the issue then is everyone wants to keep making him do the opposite of what he wants or is good at!?!? All the weapons in the world, won't mean shit if you are trying to make a guy work inside an offense he isn't comfortable in, or works against his strengths, both physical and mental. Take his comments on liking that he was rolling out and moving the pocket, next game.... nada. Go get a coach who will mimic Shanahan's offense he had with Cutler. It worked, funny, all his troubles since then seem to be coaches who want to turn him/his game into Brady or Manning or Brees. (that is a grand over simplification, but it holds a certain level of truth from an over-arching philosophy standpoint.) HE isn't them, his game isn't theirs, he is his own playstyle, get a fucking coach who will ACTUALLY GO THROUGH WITH EXPLOITING HIS TALENTS, and not just SAY he will. Trestman talks a lot of talk (mostly bullshit), but damn sure don't walk a lot of walk.

But it's the Bears, and they are going to fuck up anything and everything they can, and it's getting to the point where they are becoming a caricature of themselves.

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because yet another coaching change will change Jay Cutler.

Cutler is broken, there is no fixing him. Trestman can't seem to handle adversity or change his offensive game plan. The team is lost because of poor coaching and that is what I was referring too.

Mitchapalooza

That's all I want for the rest of the season. Just let loose and play some freaking football. I'm sick of watching a scared team try to be perfect five yards at a time. It doesn't play to the strength of anyone on the team.
Especially now that we're out of it, why not run some cool plays or throw some bombs.

Mitchapalooza

I've also noticed that Jays deep balls are horrible now. Dude throws like 5 yards too far. That used to be one of his strengths. Now he just sucks at em

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutler is broken, there is no fixing him. Trestman can't seem to handle adversity or change his offensive game plan. The team is lost because of poor coaching and that is what I was referring too.

I'd rather see more coaches get fired and bring in someone that will use the talent they have and not try and make them into something they are not. But that's just me I guess.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Especially now that we're out of it, why not run some cool plays or throw some bombs.

Yeah at least make it worth watching. Get some young guys involved. Run plays design especially for Wilson and Carey.