Around The MLB: Free Agent Signings And Trades Discussion Thread

chibears55

Liked Posts:
There was never any chance of the Cubs landing Cruz. Unless he fell to the absurdly low contract he got last season. Which means there was never any chance of the Cubs landing Cruz
You think 14 per for cruz would of been too much for the cubs ?

Im not saying the cubs should just throw money around but some of you might want to take a look at where their payroll stands for the next 6 yrs and see they have plenty of room to spend on at least 2-3 impact players, especially with a young core their hoping to build around..

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Im not saying the cubs should just throw money around but some of you might want to take a look at where their payroll stands for the next 6 yrs and see they have plenty of room to spend on at least 2-3 impact players, especially with a young core their hoping to build around..

I get the feeling if the Cubs don't sign anyone, all the payroll apologists around CCS are going to come out of the fucking woodwork defending the Cubs brass.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I get the feeling if the Cubs don't sign anyone, all the payroll apologists around CCS are going to come out of the fucking woodwork defending the Cubs brass.

I will be disappointed for sure. If they resign Jason Hammel re-up Wood in Arb and lose out on Lester it would suck. Cubs.com put out: http://m.cubs.mlb.com/news/article/...arb-eligibles-likely-to-be-tendered-contracts

Which I believe is plan B. I highly doubt that Jackson will be retained here.

Still if they end up trading out Jackson for a OF bat add Hammels with La Stella as a LH bench bat. Then add Bryant later in the year. If they are looking at .500 then I would hope they make a run at Price at the deadline. I would give up 1 quality prospect to pull it off. Then extend him.

That would be a strong plan and I would not be butt hurt at all over it. Theo said he was looking at a 15 month window. Things are still evolving on this team and even so there are some quality arms going up for F/A next year.

Even if they end up just running: Arrieta, Hammel, Wood, Hemdricks, Wada next year I'll still follow them to see how this team clicks with Rizzo, Soler, Castro, Baez and Bryant. That to me is more interesting than what has happened from 2009-now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
MLBTR

The Cubs are expected to tender a contract to lefty Travis Wood despite the fact that is coming off a down season, reports ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers. Wood, projected to earn $5.5MM in 2015, posted a 5.03 ERA in 173 2/3 innings. His command regressed (3.9 BB/9) but he did also see an uptick in strikeouts (7.6 K/9). Rogers notes that Wood could still be traded, as the Cubs did bring back a lefty to slot into the rotation in the form of Tsuyoshi Wada. Chicago is expected to pursue multiple starters on the free agent and trade markets this winter, so if they add enough in the way of upgrades, a team may be interested in taking on Wood at a reasonable price.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I believe he needs to increase his diversity in pitches. He lost velocity with his fastball by using a cutter. That is pretty comon with cutter pitchers but I believe he should also mix in a change up to off set his fastball/cutter mix. He really doesn't have any strong breaking pitches.

Over all he is a flyball pitcher with a 7.6 SO/9 going on. His BABIP went up to .350 vs the .250 range last year. Mix in the fact that most of those hits are flyballs it becomes a major issue when the wind is blowing out.

Almost makes me think he needs to work on a sinker/change combo for those days to keep the ball on the ground more. When the wind is blowing in then go with his normal stuff as anything in the air is most likely a fly out on those days.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I believe he needs to increase his diversity in pitches. He lost velocity with his fastball by using a cutter. That is pretty comon with cutter pitchers but I believe he should also mix in a change up to off set his fastball/cutter mix. He really doesn't have any strong breaking pitches.

Over all he is a flyball pitcher with a 7.6 SO/9 going on. His BABIP went up to .350 vs the .250 range last year. Mix in the fact that most of those hits are flyballs it becomes a major issue when the wind is blowing out.

Almost makes me think he needs to work on a sinker/change combo for those days to keep the ball on the ground more. When the wind is blowing in then go with his normal stuff as anything in the air is most likely a fly out on those days.

Or bring Lester in to help in those areas. :smug2:

If Lester happens to sign, you would have to think that major changes are coming because of a crowded rotation with some very questionable pitchers.

Arrieta, Wood, Hendricks, E-Jax, Wada, and Turner.

Anyone still don't think Lester greatly improves the rotation? :shot:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Or bring Lester in to help in those areas. :smug2:

If Lester happens to sign, you would have to think that major changes are coming because of a crowded rotation with some very questionable pitchers.

Arrieta, Wood, Hendricks, E-Jax, Wada, and Turner.

Anyone still don't think Lester greatly improves the rotation? :shot:

He will improve it with out a doubt.

But don't be surprised if they fail to sign him due to Lester wanting to be on a team geared up to win this year vs a team in adjustment.

IMO they are a year out from signing any mega deals right now. Add to it any player looking at making a comitment like that to a team are looking at the word potential, not a sure thing of having a strong team to go forward with.

The Cubs are not in a position that warrants the need to sign a mega this year. And F/A's looking at the Cubs are looking at a team that is not established as a winning product yet.

If Bryant, Soler, Baez etc adapt fast this year and with Maddon managing then the Cubs become a ideal spot to land as long as the $$$ are there to pay the bills.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
IMO it all hinges on Bryant adapting to the league fast. He alone becomes the magnet that draws them in.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
He will improve it with out a doubt.

But don't be surprised if they fail to sign him due to Lester wanting to be on a team geared up to win this year vs a team in adjustment.

IMO they are a year out from signing any mega deals right now. Add to it any player looking at making a comitment like that to a team are looking at the word potential, not a sure thing of having a strong team to go forward with.

The Cubs are not in a position that warrants the need to sign a mega this year. And F/A's looking at the Cubs are looking at a team that is not established as a winning product yet.

If Bryant, Soler, Baez etc adapt fast this year and with Maddon managing then the Cubs become a ideal spot to land as long as the $$$ are there to pay the bills.

Rest assured, Theo said the right things in their interview, and I would lay a ton of money that he said that he (Lester) is the key piece to this organization and that they will add the necessary pieces around him.

It is also speculation as to what Lester wants. We can assume he wants to go to a readily competing team, but Boston didn't exactly light the world on fire last year, and Frisco is a lot weaker too without Panda and a weakened pitching staff which has already won 3 WS titles in 5 years. Do you think they are getting tougher or weaker in the years to come?

Lastly, Lester has won his titles and is now going for his payday. Even though he stated that money was not the main issue, I think when push comes to shove and all teams being considered, it will be the deciding factor.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
http://m.cubs.mlb.com/news/article/102963356/cubs-bide-their-time-while-jon-lester-mulls-options

The Giants, Red Sox and Cubs can afford Lester, who was 16-11 with a career-best 2.46 ERA in 32 starts last season for Boston and Oakland combined. According to reports, the Cubs and Red Sox have made six-year offers to Lester worth $138 million and $130 million, respectively.

Cubs= 23 mil
Bo-sox= 21 mil.

Sox offer is a slap in the face.

Cubs offer is respectable but IMO not enough.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Braves non tendered kris medlin..

Would love for the cubs to try and get him

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
As for Lester, I'd give him $144 M next if that offer was not enough, and go as high as $150 M

You think 14 per for cruz would of been too much for the cubs ?

No, but 4 years for Cruz would have been. Soler and Bryant have the corner OF spots on lock down. I suppose they could have had Bryant at 3B and put Cruz into LF, and moved Russell. Would be dumb though since Cruz is 35

Braves non tendered kris medlin..

Would love for the cubs to try and get him
Agreed. Medlin would fit nicely in the back of the Cubs rotation. Arrieta, Hendricks, Lester? , Wood, Wada, Turner, Jackson. That's not a great rotation, but if Wood can bounce back and be above average that would be a rotation that keeps the Cubs competitive. Cubs would have to move a couple of them just to free up space.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
As for Lester, I'd give him $144 M next if that offer was not enough, and go as high as $150 M

As of right now, they dont need to offer anything more then they have until either SF or Boston go above 6/138 or if Lester camp tells the cubs they need to up the offer a bit otherwise they take Boston 6/130..

I can see the cubs go as high as 6/150 if needed or as I've been saying all along, offer up that 7th yr

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:

No, but 4 years for Cruz would have been. Soler and Bryant have the corner OF spots on lock down. I suppose they could have had Bryant at 3B and put Cruz into LF, and moved Russell. Would be dumb though since Cruz is 35

Agreed. Medlin would fit nicely in the back of the Cubs rotation. Arrieta, Hendricks, Lester? , Wood, Wada, Turner, Jackson. That's not a great rotation, but if Wood can bounce back and be above average that would be a rotation that keeps the Cubs competitive. Cubs would have to move a couple of them just to free up space.

I'd be interested in taking a shot at Brandon Beachy, too...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I could see them taking a flyer on either Beachy or Medlen. 2nd TJ is a major red flag on both but worth it if they offer a 1 year with a option year to let him rehab 1 then have the option to retain.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@mlbtraderumors: Twins To Sign Torii*Hunter mlbtraderumors.com/?p=44330

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@JonHeymanCBS: dodgers trade matt magill for OF chris heisey. @jcrasnick 1st w/ heisey

Dodgers add another OFer

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
IMO it all hinges on Bryant adapting to the league fast. He alone becomes the magnet that draws them in.

I agree, but that i susually two to three years for any young player thanks to the fact that a track record is needed. It's why a record needs to get started now otherwise if there is some TOR that make it to FA next year it's the same boat as this offseason IMO.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love when guys "go home". Hopefully it's not a complete flop of a season in what might be his last.

technically home is 50 miles away from arlington in texas :) just technicalities. but yes this may be his last year. nice to see him finish off with the twins

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk