Around The MLB: Free Agent Signings And Trades Discussion Thread

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All around the MLB. Discuss trades, rumors, signings for the entire league here.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@mlbtraderumors: Athletics Discussing Jeff Samardzija*Trade mlbtraderumors.com/?p=44183

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@mlbtraderumors: Blue Jays To Acquire Josh Donaldson From Athletics For Brett Lawrie,*Others mlbtraderumors.com/?p=44185

@Ken_Rosenthal: Deal is 4-for-1. Donaldson from #Athletics to #BlueJays for Lawrie, Graveman, Barreto, Nolin.

Ha haha As just threw a curve ball.. AL East getting tough again

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
@mlbtraderumors: Blue Jays To Acquire Josh Donaldson From Athletics For Brett Lawrie,*Others mlbtraderumors.com/?p=44185

@Ken_Rosenthal: Deal is 4-for-1. Donaldson from #Athletics to #BlueJays for Lawrie, Graveman, Barreto, Nolin.

Ha haha As just threw a curve ball.. AL East getting tough again

they lost melky and no one knows about the O"s. redsox giving illusion that the east is getting better

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
they lost melky and no one knows about the O"s. redsox giving illusion that the east is getting better

They haven't lost melky yet.. i just read they still want him back

I think red sox are getting lester back

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@mlbtraderumors: Athletics, Braves Discussing Justin Upton, Evan*Gattis mlbtraderumors.com/?p=44191

As are busy...

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
There are some rumors out there that the Donaldson deal was supposed to have Samardzija in it but talks stalled and both teams liked the deal as it went through. Indicates to me that Toronto may not be done and is going to make a serious push in a what looks to be a very winnable East.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
There are some rumors out there that the Donaldson deal was supposed to have Samardzija in it but talks stalled and both teams liked the deal as it went through. Indicates to me that Toronto may not be done and is going to make a serious push in a what looks to be a very winnable East.

Now rumors are linking Samardzija to the White Sox for Alexei Ramirez.

Hmm! The pitcher that some around here thought had not much trade value, could be back in Chicago. :clap:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now rumors are linking Samardzija to the White Sox for Alexei Ramirez.

Hmm! The pitcher that some around here thought had not much trade value, could be back in Chicago. :clap:

not sure he should have netted russell and than some. thats where i was confused. did beane overpay being stupid or did he know something about russell because now he is scrambling for a SS when he could easily sign lowrie and trade for other positions. not sure what beane is doing but thats beane

chibears55

Liked Posts:
not sure he should have netted russell and than some. thats where i was confused. did beane overpay being stupid or did he know something about russell because now he is scrambling for a SS when he could easily sign lowrie and trade for other positions. not sure what beane is doing but thats beane

Beane overpaid because he went into the win now mode by acquring 3 starters in lester, samardzija, and hammel

Unfortunately for him, their hitters went cold and the angels got red hot. .

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Beane overpaid because he went into the win now mode by acquring 3 starters in lester, samardzija, and hammel

probably right

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Absolutely. I'd even call it a legacy move. Dude wanted a World Series and didn't think he had the pitching to get there.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: #Mariners in serious talks with Cruz. Report from @ElCaribeRD in DR says team is in agreement with him on four-year, $57M contract.

There goes one option for LF

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: #Mariners in serious talks with Cruz. Report from @ElCaribeRD in DR says team is in agreement with him on four-year, $57M contract.

There goes one option for LF

The Cubs aren't signing a LF anyway so I don't see how this affects them at all.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still dont know why people think we are signing a big time LF. I have thought from the beginning we are going Coughlan with a righty backup.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I still dont know why people think we are signing a big time LF. I have thought from the beginning we are going Coughlan with a righty backup.
Not that i think their going to sign Melky, i just wish they would.

Id much rather see an outfield of..

Cabrera in LF
Coghlin / Alcantara in CF
Soler in RF

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Not that i think their going to sign Melky, i just wish they would.

Id much rather see an outfield of..

Cabrera in LF
Coghlin / Alcantara in CF
Soler in RF

You've been really consistent in your opinion there so I give you credit. As I've said before I think they'll probably sign Jonny Gomes and maybe another part time OF but it's unlikely they do more than that. I also think Kris Bryant could very well be in LF by August. If Baez has improved by July and Russell is ready to come up there will be some hard decisions in terms of who might get traded sure, but also maybe you don't trade any of them and you have Rizzo, Baez, Castro and Russell in your IF and Soler, Alcantara and Bryant in the OF. In that case maybe you package Alcantara with some other kids and pick up a C or CF. Lots of options there. In the meantime leave LF to Coghlan and a platoon player and don't limit your options.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You've been really consistent in your opinion there so I give you credit. As I've said before I think they'll probably sign Jonny Gomes and maybe another part time OF but it's unlikely they do more than that. I also think Kris Bryant could very well be in LF by August. If Baez has improved by July and Russell is ready to come up there will be some hard decisions in terms of who might get traded sure, but also maybe you don't trade any of them and you have Rizzo, Baez, Castro and Russell in your IF and Soler, Alcantara and Bryant in the OF. In that case maybe you package Alcantara with some other kids and pick up a C or CF. Lots of options there. In the meantime leave LF to Coghlan and a platoon player and don't limit your options.

I agree with this post. I also dont see Melky Cabrera being a game changer ever. He has been injured and his stat line isnt game changing. He is a complimentary player that is going to get a good chunk of change. Just my opinion.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I never really saw them going after a LF. If anything I felt CF(short term) made much more sense because Alcantara wasn't and likely wont be a plus defender there. Don't get me wrong I love Alcantara's skill set but I've always felt his best position is 2B and if not there I suppose LF isn't a terrible spot in some sort of super utility role. In all honesty, with the hiring of Maddon it is quite easy to see him moving Alcantara into a Ben Zobrist type of role but if you were to do such a thing there's literally very few options for the cubs. Most anyone can play a half decent LF so long as they can also hit. Additionally, even if you don't play musical chairs with roles I'm not entirely certain I'm comfortable with Sweeney and Ruggiano as your back up CF.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
There was never any chance of the Cubs landing Cruz. Unless he fell to the absurdly low contract he got last season. Which means there was never any chance of the Cubs landing Cruz