Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Schwarber should never see another inning behind the plate, and it has nothing to do with his injury.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In ref to Schwarber, I've always felt people missed the point with him C. It was never going to be him being an every day starter. However, the fact he could in theory do it was the important part. Look at how maddon has handled subs this year. Kris Bryant is not a short stop but he has played there. Also, look at the fact Maddon is presently carrying 3 catchers. Now imagine that while Schwarber was never going to be Yadier Molina back there, he can do an adequate job for a few innings here or there. Imagine the possibilities that opens up for maddon. You could Start him on off days for the primary C and later push him to LF by double switching another C into the game or just give him a short day to keep him fresh. Like wise, you could start him in LF and pull your C for a pinch hitter and push him into C for a few innings.

I agree with this. As it is they're using up a slot with Federowicz who is kinda doing what Ross did last year...minus the clubhouse presence. You know Schwarber will hit, it's just a matter of Maddon finding spots for his bat. He must like the flexibility a 3rd catcher gives him....Schwarber gives him that and a bat as well.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
So here is how the Cubs played the lack of Fowler market: they essentially traded two months of Coghlan + Alcantra +6 million dollars and will get a full year from Dexter + Aaron Brooks + a QO pick. Great work by the FO to accumulate more assets.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So here is how the Cubs played the lack of Fowler market: they essentially traded two months of Coghlan + Alcantra +6 million dollars and will get a full year from Dexter + Aaron Brooks + a QO pick. Great work by the FO to accumulate more assets.

Think technically Dunston is part of that as he was also dealt for cash from SF and given the fact Cogs was originally deal because of cash reasons it's likely that given the timing of Dunston being traded that was the reasoning. Not really disagree with the assessment. Although, it largely depends on how Alcantara plays out in my eyes. If he figures out his k rate issues he's got the potential to be a 20/30 guy with plus defense. If he doesn't quite get there and if Brooks pitches ok even as an emergency guy out of AAA i'm sort of ok with it but obviously I'm someone who's been high on Alcantara.

What I'd like to see the cubs do probably this offseason is find someone willing to deal away some of the competitive balance draft picks because that would allow them to do some interesting things even if we assume they have one of the last picks of the first round. The cubs still have some players who really don't have a home on the cubs. Vogelbach is the obvious example. So, if they can turn some of those types into draft picks to bump up some of their draft budget they might be able to be aggressive with some guys who fall because of signability.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Think technically Dunston is part of that as he was also dealt for cash from SF and given the fact Cogs was originally deal because of cash reasons it's likely that given the timing of Dunston being traded that was the reasoning. Not really disagree with the assessment. Although, it largely depends on how Alcantara plays out in my eyes. If he figures out his k rate issues he's got the potential to be a 20/30 guy with plus defense. If he doesn't quite get there and if Brooks pitches ok even as an emergency guy out of AAA i'm sort of ok with it but obviously I'm someone who's been high on Alcantara.

What I'd like to see the cubs do probably this offseason is find someone willing to deal away some of the competitive balance draft picks because that would allow them to do some interesting things even if we assume they have one of the last picks of the first round. The cubs still have some players who really don't have a home on the cubs. Vogelbach is the obvious example. So, if they can turn some of those types into draft picks to bump up some of their draft budget they might be able to be aggressive with some guys who fall because of signability.

Vogelbach could be used when the rosters expand to give a power left bat on the bench. Until then he gives emergency 1B depth. His bat is major league ready.

If they deal his it would be in the off season.

To be honest here if it was the soc knocking and wanting to sell Sale and they wanted Baez, Soler and Vogelbach. With Sands and Cease I would be tempted but would pass. They have all 5 starters in the top 16 in ERA. The team is running the best rotation in baseball right now and injury to the line up has not mattered.

If it ain't broke

On Schwarber on catcher. I see him as Contreras back up. I really hope he improves his LF D next year because Contreras is a better catcher and should be the guy who manages the staff.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Vogelbach could be used when the rosters expand to give a power left bat on the bench. Until then he gives emergency 1B depth. His bat is major league ready.

If they deal his it would be in the off season.

To be honest here if it was the soc knocking and wanting to sell Sale and they wanted Baez, Soler and Vogelbach. With Sands and Cease I would be tempted but would pass. They have all 5 starters in the top 16 in ERA. The team is running the best rotation in baseball right now and injury to the line up has not mattered.

If it ain't broke

On Schwarber on catcher. I see him as Contreras back up. I really hope he improves his LF D next year because Contreras is a better catcher and should be the guy who manages the staff.

Schwarber will be the guy that gives both catchers a break (Contreras, Montero) next year and will provide the much needed left handed power bat to compliment Rizzo in the line-up.

As for Vogelbach, I could see him being dealt for a reliever if they have to package him with someone. He is really blocked at the moment, and trying to get him AB's in September means sitting Rizzo. Where else is he going to play? The Cubs need a lefty in the bullpen, and Vog's is destined for the AL. It just seems logical, and the fact that he is hitting at AAA, and with power, only enhances his worth. He won't get that reliever by himself, unless a team like Oakland deals Doolittle to free up the remaining salary, and even that would be a stretch.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Schwarber will be the guy that gives both catchers a break (Contreras, Montero) next year and will provide the much needed left handed power bat to compliment Rizzo in the line-up.

As for Vogelbach, I could see him being dealt for a reliever if they have to package him with someone. He is really blocked at the moment, and trying to get him AB's in September means sitting Rizzo. Where else is he going to play? The Cubs need a lefty in the bullpen, and Vog's is destined for the AL. It just seems logical, and the fact that he is hitting at AAA, and with power, only enhances his worth. He won't get that reliever by himself, unless a team like Oakland deals Doolittle to free up the remaining salary, and even that would be a stretch.

He is blocked by Rizzo but he is also in AAA the first time. It is not like he has been sitting there over a year. That said right now he is emergency if they lose Rizzo. Unless a major offer comes up. He was not in Alcantara's position were he failed at the majors and never rebounded. (Sorry Beck/you are right on Vogy and I agree that the offseason is the prime to shop.)

Now injury changes everything but it is stupid to weaken a area when there is not a urgent need going on. Let the season dictate the need factor

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Michael Cerami @Michael_Cerami
In 2016, I-Cubs catcher Willson Contreras has played in 54 games. He's gotten at least one hit in 45 of them.

^that seems good...

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Michael Cerami @Michael_Cerami
In 2016, I-Cubs catcher Willson Contreras has played in 54 games. He's gotten at least one hit in 45 of them.

^that seems good...

Yeah, very not bad. Damn, they just keep coming with exciting young players.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was just coming to post this. Wondering on the ramifications here. DL for Montero or sayonara to Fedorowicz? Either way very exciting. Waves and waves...

I think the Cubs realize there bench isn't very strong with cogs struggling and Federo whatever being useless. I'm surprise it's this early but I'll take it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea, they dfa fedorowicz

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs realize there bench isn't very strong with cogs struggling and Federo whatever being useless. I'm surprise it's this early but I'll take it

He should help the bench. .

IMO The bench under Maddon is weak because he likes having guys with multiple gloves over someone who can outright hit in a pinch..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So A- starts tomorrow. There's a pretty good chance Dylan Cease is the starter game 1 as he's probably the best pitcher on the roster. That should be interesting.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I assume Ross is hurt but not DL hurt so Contreras is here to give Ross a blow. Ross hasn't caught this much since 2008. I assume they'll have him catch Hendricks.

Also, this serves as a great trade chip though I have to imagine he's almost off the table in any discussion.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
It would be interesting to see what type of starting pitcher could they get for a package consisted of SP Hendricks, OF Soler, 1B Vogelbach and 2B Happ.

They would still have SS Torres, CF Martinez and OF Jimenez in minors, and if they could get young TOR pitcher for the package above (think Sale/Salazar/Teheran), then the pitching quality would be off the charts.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm wondering if the cubs have stumbled on to some new metric for developing hitters similar to the moneyball era realization that OBP was important. Consider for a moment the 2011 MLB draft the red sox had which was theo's last there.

pick 26 Swihart, Blake
pick 40 Bradley, Jackie
pick 292 Shaw, Travis
pick 172 Betts, Markus(Mookie)

Now there were some misses such as Williams Jerez(pick 81 sorta they converted him from CF to pitcher and he's #20 in their top 30), Jordan Weems(pick 111), Senquez Golson(pick 262) and Cody Koback(pick 322). But in the first 10 rounds of that draft they drafted 8 position players and half of them made the majors two of which appear to possibly be super stars types in Bradley and Betts.

Now fast forward to 2012 and with the cubs under Theo they drafted the following hitters in the first 10 rounds

pick 6 Almora, Albert
pick 224 Bruno, Stephen
pick 284 Krist, Chadd
as well as Rademacher, Bijan with pick 404 in the 13th.

Almora didn't develop as fast as some wanted but he obviously has raked in AAA this year and has hit well since coming to the majors. Bruno isn't a huge prospect but hitting decent in AA and owns a career .296/.371/.402 minor league triple slash. He strikes me as someone who could be a D.J. LeMahieu type and has a shot to make the majors. Krist got released so not much to see there. Rademacher like Bruno isn't going to be a star by any means but he's hit .278/.367/.407 in the minors and has a shot to make it as a 4th outfielder type.

If we fast forward again to 2013 the cubs took these hitters
pick 2 Bryant, Kris
pick 75 Hannemann, Jacob
pick 258 Burks, Charcer

Bryant is obviously great. Burks has hit .262/.352/.361 in the minors. Hannemann is #28 on the cubs top 30 and has hit .247/.309/.377. Burks and Hannemann are more than likely role players if the make the majors but they got a shot.

2014 they took
pick 4 Schwarber, Kyle
pick 78 Zagunis, Mark
as well as Kevonte Mitchell with pick 379 in the 13th and Chesny Young with pick 409 in the 14th

Again Schwarber I don't need to talk about. Zagunis has hit .288/.414/.432 in the minors and is their #18 prospect. Young has hit .314/.388/.386 in the minors. Mitchell has only hit .231/.323/.305 in the minors but he's only 19 and is a true CF. He also hit .294/.374/.371 in rookie league the year he was drafted. He's got 33 stolen bases in 92 games so he's definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Last year they took
pick 9 Happ, Ian
pick 47 Dewees, Donnie
pick 113 Wilson, Darryl
pick 293 Machin, Vimael
as well as Ian Rice with pick 863 in the 29th round

Happ probably don't need to talk about as most know him. Dewees has hit .266/.317/.397 and is the #12 prospect in their system. Wilson's only played rookie ball but has hit .266/.322/.354 and is #14 in their system. Machin hasn't been very good but they only signed him for $2,000 which saved them $100k on the 10th round slot. I thought I read they were converting him to a C. And as for Rice we've discussed him some here.

Long story short they've been remarkably consistent with hitting. There should be a lot more misses in this given they haven't spent a ton on picks. And that's before we even start talking about guys they've signed in IFA and or trades. Victor Caratini was part of the Russell/Bonifacio deal. He's hitting .297/.390/.391 as a C in AA. Quite Contreras like in fact. Torres has been great and Jiminez is starting to come around as big IFA bonus guys. McKinney has also hit well as a cub. Granted a lot of these guys probably end up more role player types but if you even get players to the majors it's generally a pretty huge success.

Just find it interesting. They've taken chances on iffy fits positionally and found a bunch of guys who can just flat out hit.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It would be interesting to see what type of starting pitcher could they get for a package consisted of SP Hendricks, OF Soler, 1B Vogelbach and 2B Happ.

They would still have SS Torres, CF Martinez and OF Jimenez in minors, and if they could get young TOR pitcher for the package above (think Sale/Salazar/Teheran), then the pitching quality would be off the charts.

Theo already said he will not mortgage the future so your views will never be realized. Think smaller. Think renting a solid late inning guy. Chapman may become a target due to his price tag being lower due to his issues. Vogelbach most likely would be a player sold in that deal. With Schwarber out for the play offs I doubt they sell Soler unless Almora just prevents them from demoting him. That open up Soler but he has to get back into plus value and that takes playing time.

As far as the rotation they can just pick up Hammel's opt next year and they can sit on the same rotation that is leading the ML in ERA. They could do worse.