Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
Once again, Almora being up has no bearing on Soler getting traded.

It's a factor, along with Soler's less than stellar defense, compared to Almora's. For the remainder of this season, Almora in left field is a better choice than Soler, when Soler gets back. No Almora, and Soler starts or gets more playing time. The Cubs are reportedly in the market for bullpen help, so I see Soler being part of a deal, as the trade deadline gets closer. Just my opinion, but maybe I'm wrong.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's a factor, along with Soler's less than stellar defense, compared to Almora's. For the remainder of this season, Almora in left field is a better choice than Soler, when Soler gets back. No Almora, and Soler starts or gets more playing time. The Cubs are reportedly in the market for bullpen help, so I see Soler being part of a deal, as the trade deadline gets closer. Just my opinion, but maybe I'm wrong.

Almora's played what? 3 games. After 3 games, you're crowning him the future in left field? I think he needs a bit of a longer look than that.

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
Almora's played what? 3 games. After 3 games, you're crowning him the future in left field? I think he needs a bit of a longer look than that.

No, I'm crowning him the future in CF, not LF. He's a great defensive player. The remainder of this year, I think he splits time in all outfield positions. Probably mostly in LF. But I think he's the future in CF. Of course, I might be wrong, but that's what I think.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
LOL. Almora has no bearing on the power bats in LF.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
No, I'm crowning him the future in CF, not LF. He's a great defensive player. The remainder of this year, I think he splits time in all outfield positions. Probably mostly in LF. But I think he's the future in CF. Of course, I might be wrong, but that's what I think.

I think you are spot on. Almora's defense and versatility are what Maddon likes. Soler is kind of limited. Baez can play everywhere, and so can Bryant. Hell, even Scwarber could I'm sure play 3-4 positions. The point is, being able to play all over is the thing, and Almora has those tools also.

Lets just see how he hits at the big level. The one thing not in his favor is his OBP, which BB's are a part of.

2012 1 1 FRRnd 1 Carlos Correa
2012 1 2 FrRnd 2 Twins Byron Buxton
2012 1 3 FrRnd 3 Mariners Mike Zunino
2012 1 4 FrRnd 4 Orioles Kevin Gausman
2012 1 5 FrRnd 5 Royals Kyle Zimmer
2012 1 6 FrRnd 6 Cubs Albert Almora
2012 1 7 FrRnd 7 Padres Max Fried
2012 1 8 FrRnd 8 Pirates Mark Appel
2012 1 9 FrRnd 9 Marlins Andrew Heaney
2012 1 10 FrRnd 10 Rockies David Dahl
2012 1 11 FrRnd 11 Athletics Addison Russell
2012 1 12 FrRnd 12 Mets Gavin Cecchini
2012 1 13 FrRnd 13 White Sox Courtney Hawkins
2012 1 14 FrRnd 14 Reds Nick Travieso
2012 1 15 FrRnd 15 Indians Tyler Naquin
2012 1 16 FrRnd 16 Nationals Lucas Giolito
2012 1 17 FrRnd 17 Blue Jays D.J. Davis
2012 1 18 FrRnd 18 Dodgers Corey Seager
2012 1 19 FrRnd 19 Cardinals via Angels Michael Wacha
2012 1 20 FrRnd 20 Giants Chris Stratton
2012 1 21 FrRnd 21 Braves Lucas Sims
2012 1 22 FrRnd 22 Blue Jays *Marcus Stroman
2012 1 23 FrRnd 23 Cardinals James Ramsey
2012 1 24 FrRnd 24 Red Sox Deven Marrero
2012 1 25 FrRnd 25 Rays Richie Shaffer
2012 1 26 FrRnd 26 Diamondbacks Stryker Trahan
2012 1 27 FrRnd 27 Brewers via Tigers *Clint Coulter
2012 1 28 FrRnd 28 Brewers Victor Roache
2012 1 29 FrRnd 29 Rangers Lewis Brinson
2012 1 30 FrRnd 30 Yankees Ty Hensley
2012 1s 31 FrRnd 31 Red Sox *Brian Johnson
2012 1s 32 FrRnd 32 Twins *Jose Berrios
2012 1s 33 FrRnd 33 Padres Zach Eflin
2012 1s 34 FrRnd 34 Athletics *Daniel Robertson
2012 1s 35 FrRnd 35 Mets *Kevin Plawecki
2012 1s 36 FrRnd 36 Cardinals *Stephen Piscotty
2012 1s 37 FrRnd 37 Red Sox *Pat Light
2012 1s 38 FrRnd 38 Brewers *Mitch Haniger
2012 1s 39 FrRnd 39 Rangers *Joey Gallo

It's funny to see what most of the first round produced. It also worth noting that the Cardinals were all-in to pay Corey Seager handsomely with there 1st pick, but the Dodgers took him right before they could, so they opted for Micahel Wacha.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Almora contributing does...

If there a deal to be made for Soler, having Almora contributing in a positive way will make it that much easier for Theo to pull the trigger...

The next couple weeks when both LaStella and Soler are ready to return, their going to have to make a decision.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
No, it doesn't. One is a power bat. The other isn't. They are not the same. Soler can get traded and not have anything to do with Almora.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
No, it doesn't. One is a power bat. The other isn't. They are not the same. Soler can get traded and not have anything to do with Almora.
Not comparing the type of player they are...

Point is, Soler becomes more expendable because they have another OFer they can use in his place that contributing in a positive way.
It happens to be Almora .

Plus.. i wouldn't really call Soler a "power bat" now

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Not comparing the type of player they are...

Point is, Soler becomes more expendable because they have another OFer they can use in his place that contributing in a positive way.
It happens to be Almora .

Plus.. i wouldn't really call Soler a "power bat" now

Your point doesn't make sense. That's the point. Understand that the Cubs aren't going to trade a power hitting LF, because they found a CF for next season.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Your point doesn't make sense. That's the point. Understand that the Cubs aren't going to trade a power hitting LF, because they found a CF for next season.
I dont get what you're missing?

It not about what kind of hitter he is or position he normally plays..

Almora is an OFer... period

He a CFer, who has been used in both RF and LF so far

If they choose to trade Soler, they can knowing they have another OFer in place ( over trading for one) who producing.

They can use Bryant, Coghlin, and Almora in LF if they choose.

If Soler was traded last week instead of injured, Almora is the guy they brought up and is using...

So, if he does get traded... Almora so far has shown he can be productive if they choose to stick with him..

He just makes it a little easier for Epstein to pull the trigger on Soler knowing he doesn't need to go get another OFer.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

I dont get what you're missing?
I'm not the one "missing something". For some reason, you think that a "leadoff"-type hitter who is a CF, and the plan is to have him in CF long-term will have an impact on Soler getting traded. He won't have any impact. Soler was on the block in the off-season. What the other team is offering in return impacts whether Soler gets traded or not.

It not about what kind of hitter he is or position he normally plays..
Except that it is about that.

Almora is an OFer... period
Amora doesn't have the bat to hang in RF or LF. Period.

He a CFer, who has been used in both RF and LF so far
As a late inning defensive replacement and to also get him some AB's.

If they choose to trade Soler, they can knowing they have another OFer in place ( over trading for one) who producing.
They've already traded for one. Additionally, after Soler came off the DL last season, he raked. He also improved defensively this season after Schwarber went down. They'll trade Soler, if the return is right. They aren't going to trade a power-hitting LF for a player who hits like a CF. That isn't the way the game works.

They can use Bryant, Coghlin, and Almora in LF if they choose.
And when Soler gets off the DL, if Fowler isn't out then, Almora will likely be sent back down until rosters are expanded or someone else gets DFA'd. They aren't going to DFA Soler.

If Soler was traded last week instead of injured, Almora is the guy they brought up and is using...
If Soler was traded last week, it would still have had nothing to do with Almora.

So, if he does get traded... Almora so far has shown he can be productive if they choose to stick with him..
Almora's production and development won'tl be completely linear and he will have rookie struggles, just as Contreras will.

He just makes it a little easier for Epstein to pull the trigger on Soler knowing he doesn't need to go get another OFer.
They aren't going to go get some mythical OF. I'm going to repeat. They aren't going to pull the trigger on a Soler trade because Almora is up. The trigger will get pulled when the trade value coming back in return is acceptable. Nothing. Nothing to do with Almora.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm not the one "missing something". For some reason, you think that a "leadoff"-type hitter who is a CF, and the plan is to have him in CF long-term will have an impact on Soler getting traded. He won't have any impact. Soler was on the block in the off-season. What the other team is offering in return impacts whether Soler gets traded or not.

Except that it is about that.

Amora doesn't have the bat to hang in RF or LF. Period.

As a late inning defensive replacement and to also get him some AB's.

They've already traded for one. Additionally, after Soler came off the DL last season, he raked. He also improved defensively this season after Schwarber went down. They'll trade Soler, if the return is right. They aren't going to trade a power-hitting LF for a player who hits like a CF. That isn't the way the game works.

And when Soler gets off the DL, if Fowler isn't out then, Almora will likely be sent back down until rosters are expanded or someone else gets DFA'd. They aren't going to DFA Soler.

If Soler was traded last week, it would still have had nothing to do with Almora.

Almora's production and development won'tl be completely linear and he will have rookie struggles, just as Contreras will.

They aren't going to go get some mythical OF. I'm going to repeat. They aren't going to pull the trigger on a Soler trade because Almora is up. The trigger will get pulled when the trade value coming back in return is acceptable. Nothing. Nothing to do with Almora.

Im not saying Soler getting traded because Almora is up..

Im not saying Almora replacing Soler...

Im not saying they need to trade Soler...

Im not saying anything but ...
IF THEY CHOOSE TO TRADE SOLER IT MAKES IT A LITTLE EASIER KNOWING THAT ALMORA BEEN PRODUCTIVE AND THEY CAN USE HIM AS PART OF THEIR OF IF THEY CHOOSE.

I dont know why you're arguing over this point....

Almora would just go into the mix of OFers with Bryant, Coghlin, Fowler, and Heyward

That is all.....

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
im not saying soler getting traded because almora is up..

Im not saying almora replacing soler...

Im not saying they need to trade soler...

Im not saying anything but ...
If they choose to trade soler it makes it a little easier knowing that almora been productive and they can use him as part of their of if they choose.

I dont know why you're arguing over this point....

Almora would just go into the mix of ofers with bryant, coghlin, fowler, and heyward

that is all.....

Sent from my lg-v495 using tapatalk
if they choose to trade soler, almora doesn't make it easier for them. It makes it easier for you, the fan.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:

Yeah but you can see the guy is for real. He drives the ball and has a number of big hits in 6 games. He's not going to stop hitting. And his fielding is top notch. Anyone who doesn't see him as a potential superstar is blind IMHO...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah but you can see the guy is for real. He drives the ball and has a number of big hits in 6 games. He's not going to stop hitting. And his fielding is top notch. Anyone who doesn't see him as a potential superstar is blind IMHO...

A guy who doesnt walk, steal bases, or hit for power is a potential superstar? Almora is a great defender who has a lot to prove with his bat. He doesnt not have a big ceiling. He has a high floor because of his defense.

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
A guy who doesnt walk, steal bases, or hit for power is a potential superstar? Almora is a great defender who has a lot to prove with his bat. He doesnt not have a big ceiling. He has a high floor because of his defense.

Yeah, he doesn't scream out "superstar," except for his glove. He looks like more of a singles hitter. I wish he took more walks. But he does make solid contact, just not a home run hitter. I suppose he could develop power eventually, but it looks like that's not what his swing looks like. I see him as a very solid everyday player with gold glove caliber defense and outstanding mental approach and professionalism, but not a superstar. And on this Cubs team, I'll take that.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Yeah, he doesn't scream out "superstar," except for his glove. He looks like more of a singles hitter. I wish he took more walks. But he does make solid contact, just not a home run hitter. I suppose he could develop power eventually, but it looks like that's not what his swing looks like. I see him as a very solid everyday player with gold glove caliber defense and outstanding mental approach and professionalism, but not a superstar. And on this Cubs team, I'll take that.

In one post you say about Almora: " Anyone who doesn't see him as a potential superstar is blind IMHO...

then in another post you say "Yeah, he doesn't scream out "superstar," except for his glove."

WTF

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Superstar... no. But he's a potential All-Star. I'd probably suggest he tops out at 4 fWAR max unless he suddenly develops more power.

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
In one post you say about Almora: " Anyone who doesn't see him as a potential superstar is blind IMHO...

then in another post you say "Yeah, he doesn't scream out "superstar," except for his glove."

WTF

You must have read that too fast. I didn't post that. The poster "cubsmann" did. Similar name, but not me. WTF.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Superstar... no. But he's a potential All-Star. I'd probably suggest he tops out at 4 fWAR max unless he suddenly develops more power.

No way Almora sniffs an all-star game without some crazy babip year.