Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Also, draft pool bonuses are out. Cubs are 17th in total money with $7,099,300 based largely on the extra pick from Fowler. They changed the way slots work slightly this year so that the top few picks aren't quite as valuable while the total money is largely the same. They also made some of he like 5-10th round picks worth less but countered that by allowing teams to spend $25k more on picks after the 10th round. The idea behind all this was the top 3 or so picks were worth so much last year that it gave them a ton of leverage over draft picks and just in general. It's a bit more fair now. For example, the gap between MIN($13,481,500) and the mid point team the white sox($7,543,600) is a little over $5.93 mil. Last year that was $6.4 mil. The reason they cut back on the value from the 5th-10th rounds was to essentially stop teams from doing what the cubs have and and signing college seniors for around $1k and using the rest else where.

I'd like to see the cubs try to acquire one of the 1st round supplemental picks. If they can manage to do that they would actually break into the top 10 in slot money. It would give them a lot of room to play with and this draft has 28 players out of the top 50 on mlb.com listed as pitchers.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Eddie Butler pitched a nice game for Iowa last night continuing a solid stretch since ST. If this guy is what everyone thought he was going to be a few years ago we may have gotten another steal.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Eddie Butler pitched a nice game for Iowa last night continuing a solid stretch since ST. If this guy is what everyone thought he was going to be a few years ago we may have gotten another steal.

Threw 54 strikes out of 88 pitches(61.4%). Most places don't keep a good measure on that for season wide so it's difficult to know how good that is comparative to last year/others but it's within range of a few Hendricks starts so I'd wager it was pretty good.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Ian Happ had himself a weekend. Hit 3 HR.

Jeimer also had a nice weekend with a pair of 5 RBI games.

Cease made his debut in A+ at South Bend with 4 innings of work, 3 H, 1 ER/HR, 3 BB, 8 Ks.

Trevor Clifton also with his debut in AA - 5IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 2 ER, 4 K.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 2019 Cubs were perhaps made up almost entirely of players who made their ML debuts here (especially hitters). It wouldn't shock me if the roster was something like

Hitters - Caratini, Contreras, Schwarber, Rizzo, Baez, Russell, Bryant, Zobrist, Almora, Happ, Jimmenez, Candelario/Other, Young
P - Lester, Arrieta, Hendricks, Cease, Clifton, Edwards, Grimm, Zastrsyny, a few bullpen arms

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Jake resigning is a reach. Butler and Mills are strong possibilities for inhouse. They are sitting as the 1-2 in their rotation. Zan has been pushed to the pen and that looks to be his future.

I don't want to consider any arms below AAA at this point. There has been a long history of failed starters over the last year's. The only one to make it came via trade. Jake was like Butler and Mills where they came over with limited action in the majors and are realistic.

Hitting wise Candi is building strong trade weight and Happ should become a long term piece. Caratini should replace replace Montero's role freeing up another trade chip. It seems that Montero's job is to catch Jake now and they both should leave at the same time.

So over all the talent is good but at the lower levels any player can spike one year and fall off the next. I'm having tempered expectations of any of them that are not at AAA

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I dont believe Baez will be a member of the team 1 year from today

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Happ and Candelario are making a joke out of AAA right now. Happ hit his 4th HR yesterday and is hitting .276/.344/.724. Candelario has 15 RBI's already and is hitting .370/.414/.926. It's weird to think both might actually be underrated. MLB.com had Happ at #25 overall and Candelario at #92. Given where the cubs are I personally think Happ stays in the organization but Canelario needs a new team long term.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Wow... so Happ hit #5 yesterday. I know the PCL inflates stats but it seems like they are underrating his power. I've seen people put it at a 50 grade which is supposed to be ~15 HRs. Looking more like a 20-25 type guy which would make him more a 60 grade. He's also had at least 3 opposite field homers this year which is interesting.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm not going to put too much hope into Happ yet. Jackson was just as high rated but he never overcame the holes in his swing.

I would rather see him get a full year in at Iowa. Put Young in as the IR MI. His potential is bench player so his clock starting early really doesnt matter. When the rosters expand then bring him up. The only exception is if Zo goes down with a long term injury. At that point you call him up early due to team needs.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Someone suggested Happ Candelario and Jimenez gets you Q with cheap years as the perfect TOR without losing a single guy off of the main roster.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
With the Sox I would try to work out a 3 team deal:

White Sox get Candelario
Team C gets Frazier
Cubs get a top 20 pitching prospect from team C.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sox would never trade with the Cubs

Why not? They have in the past. Talent available and matchups dictate where you go to trade. Besides, I think they'd like to even up for the Sosa for Bell deal back in the 90's.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Why not? They have in the past. Talent available and matchups dictate where you go to trade. Besides, I think they'd like to even up for the Sosa for Bell deal back in the 90's.
He should of said Reinsdorf will never trade anyone very good to the Cubs, that will help them win Championships ...
Like Sales, etc

Sammy was young and unknown when trade was made and Cubs were mediocre..

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
With the Sox I would try to work out a 3 team deal:

White Sox get Candelario
Team C gets Frazier
Cubs get a top 20 pitching prospect from team C.
I'm not sure the Cubs are getting enough in the deal.