Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Jesus Camargo has pitched well. Not sure he's really got the long term build for a starter but he's put up nice number the past 2 years.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Dillon Maples promoted to AAA..

2 things I see here...

Maybe to showcase in high level for a later trade..
Or
If he does well here, he could be brought up come Augest and if he does well , be eligible for playoff spot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

DanTown

Liked Posts:
If we refresh the decks with regards to the orgs pitching post Q trade, they have three guys written into the rotation through 2020 (Q, Lester, Hendricks). You have two guys you hope are 2019 away (Clifton, Alzolay) and then a few guys who could be 2019 away but likely 2020+ (Hatch, de la Cruz, Albertos). I put Tseng in the 2019 group but not nearly the same ceiling as those guys.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If we refresh the decks with regards to the orgs pitching post Q trade, they have three guys written into the rotation through 2020 (Q, Lester, Hendricks). You have two guys you hope are 2019 away (Clifton, Alzolay) and then a few guys who could be 2019 away but likely 2020+ (Hatch, de la Cruz, Albertos). I put Tseng in the 2019 group but not nearly the same ceiling as those guys.

I want to see how Tseng handles AAA a bit more. His first start wasn't amazing but it got the job done. However prior to that he was striking out a lot of guys which is some what unusual for him. Going back to may 25th he hasn't struck out fewer than 5 guys other than that AAA start. The thing is you don't have to be amazing but if you're around an 8 k/9 with stellar command you can be pretty effective. I don't want to put the weight of 2016 Hendricks on him but even the Hendricks prior to 2016 was fairly effective.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Tseng also having himself a night. 7 ip 3 hits 0 ER 8 k's 1 bb

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I want to see how Tseng handles AAA a bit more. His first start wasn't amazing but it got the job done. However prior to that he was striking out a lot of guys which is some what unusual for him. Going back to may 25th he hasn't struck out fewer than 5 guys other than that AAA start. The thing is you don't have to be amazing but if you're around an 8 k/9 with stellar command you can be pretty effective. I don't want to put the weight of 2016 Hendricks on him but even the Hendricks prior to 2016 was fairly effective.

2.81 ERA now 8.16 SO/9

Honestly he should be ready next spring for a rotation spot. He slots into the 5. So all they really need is a RH to split up Q and Lester. That is about it.

Add to that. His Fastball fell from the low 90's 2 years ago to the high 80's. That is when he fell out of the top 30. This year it went back to where it was and he is back in the top 30 again. So his fastball has little movement but he is able to locate. Those 2-3 mph on a fairly sub avg moving fastball got him killed.

His fastball is his worst offering. But his ability to locate it is his key.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Dillon Maples promoted to AAA..

2 things I see here...

Maybe to showcase in high level for a later trade..
Or
If he does well here, he could be brought up come Augest and if he does well , be eligible for playoff spot.

Age wise he is ML ready. I don't expect him in the mix this year but you never know. There is a clear need for a guy with his wipe out slider.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Age wise he is ML ready. I don't expect him in the mix this year but you never know. There is a clear need for a guy with his wipe out slider.

Wouldn't shock me to see him called up after september. Not like AAA has much else to do. I don't think he's up prior to the playoff cutoff though.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ya it wouldn't be shocking. For it to happen. Basically he would be another Edwards.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't shock me to see him called up after september. Not like AAA has much else to do. I don't think he's up prior to the playoff cutoff though.
Why not??

Seen plenty of kids come up late in season in pen and make an impact in playoffs..

He can end up being more effective then Grimm or Rondon

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Why not??

Seen plenty of kids come up late in season in pen and make an impact in playoffs..

He can end up being more effective then Grimm or Rondon

He's not proven himself in AAA yet and by the time he has a few games there it's basically going to be september.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Tseng is only 22. Is it possible for him to gain more velocity?

Maybe. But it may affect his other offerings.

He plays off his location and his change giving speed variance. It is really not about how fast he pitches vs the difference in mph between his fastball and change and keeping his pitches down in the zone. Then adding in his curve which is also a plus pitch.

He might end up having to add a cut grip to add movement to his fastball as he becomes more established. But for now he needs to keep it simple.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Tseng is only 22. Is it possible for him to gain more velocity?

Velocity isn't really the issue. I mean more is never bad but it's more about how much sink/run your fastball has. If it's just straight then velocity really doesn't make much difference. Scouting on him is right now he's throwing 90-93 but there's no life on his fastball. But his floor is pretty high. He'll be a decent back of the rotation guy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
As he establishes himself he can start playing with his grip. The only issue is he already lost 4 mph at one point so a small adjustment could back fire with him. So it is better that he establishes what he has right now then tinkering after.

Nothing wrong with adjusting his grip to force run or sink with is fastball. But he has to be werry of losing MPH in that adaption.

If he was a 96 mph guy and lost 4 mph but gained movement it would not be a issue. Going from 93 to 89 is a larger issue. Any mistake at that velocity ends up in the stands.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs Midseason Top 10
1. Victor Caratini, C
2. Thomas Hatch, RHP
3. Jose Albertos, RHP
4. Adbert Alzolay, RHP
5. Isaac Paredes, SS
6. Brendon Little, LHP
7. Alex Lange, RHP
8. Aramis Ademan, SS
9. Jeimer Candelario, 3B
10. Oscar de la Cruz, RHP

BA's top 10 midseason cubs list. I don't have a sub so can't give more info but if you'd like to read and do...http://www.baseballamerica.com/mino...dseason-top-10-prospects/#9CCwrbQz70BT5Y6D.97

Hatch being that high is some what surprising. Would have figured they'd go higher on tools though Hatch and Alzolay seem similar level prospects. Paredes and Ademan breaking top 10 is a good sign.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs Midseason Top 10
1. Victor Caratini, C
2. Thomas Hatch, RHP
3. Jose Albertos, RHP
4. Adbert Alzolay, RHP
5. Isaac Paredes, SS
6. Brendon Little, LHP
7. Alex Lange, RHP
8. Aramis Ademan, SS
9. Jeimer Candelario, 3B

BA's top 10 midseason cubs list. I don't have a sub so can't give more info but if you'd like to read and do...http://www.baseballamerica.com/mino...dseason-top-10-prospects/#9CCwrbQz70BT5Y6D.97

Hatch being that high is some what surprising. Would have figured they'd go higher on tools though Hatch and Alzolay seem similar level prospects. Paredes and Ademan breaking top 10 is a good sign.
We're seeing now all those pitchers starting to jump in as they traded and moved up all the top hitting prospects..

So, hopefully we see them make the jump and stick, in next year or two like the hitters did

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Just curious to what you all think here on this...

Seeing and hearing baseball people going goo goo over what the Sox have done with their system lately..
Rightfully so..

But

I'm looking at who all their top prospects are and I'm seeing that 18 of their top 20 are either pitchers (11) or Outfielders (7)..

Cubs did their rebuild by having most of their top prospects being hitters and playing different positions..

Not sure how sports people on tv and radio are predicting that they can contend for a division title by 2020 with their prospects when their all bunched into 2 positions..
Pitchers and Outfielders

Maybe I'm just missing something...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs Midseason Top 10
1. Victor Caratini, C
2. Thomas Hatch, RHP
3. Jose Albertos, RHP
4. Adbert Alzolay, RHP
5. Isaac Paredes, SS
6. Brendon Little, LHP
7. Alex Lange, RHP
8. Aramis Ademan, SS
9. Jeimer Candelario, 3B

Pretty gutsy rankings.

I can see some of it. De LA Cruz has been injured and Alzolay looked better wile they were playing together.

Caratini and Candelario were neck and neck and Candelario dropped off Caratini held pace.

Albertos has been healthy.

Hatch is a little surprising. As far as a SP prospect he is prototypical. Looks the part good stuff. Healthy. Seems to be durable. ETC. Picked up the pace in the 2nd half. He seems like he is more of a projections type. Alolay earned his ranking from being NR. Little and Lange are potential rankings. Nothing wrong as they are 1st round picks.

I believe De La Cruz would be #1 if he pitched all season. I don't doubt that bit so he should jump up again next year.

That said I'm thinking by this time next year it will be Lang and Little 1 @2. Albertos #3 and Hatch #4. Alzolay may drop down and De La Cruz moves up some but the 2 new kids take off.