CSF77

Liked Posts:
55: Candy.
50: 2-9
45: Rest

Rankings:
Candy #93 and #6 3B
Caratini #6 catching prospect.

So those 2 have the highest trade weight going. So they could make a deal around those 2 and one of their top arms. If they were looking for a impact return. They don't have any blue chip players but they have depth in 2nd tier guys right now.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
55: Candy.
50: 2-9
45: Rest

Rankings:
Candy #93 and #6 3B
Caratini #6 catching prospect.

So those 2 have the highest trade weight going. So they could make a deal around those 2 and one of their top arms. If they were looking for a impact return. They don't have any blue chip players but they have depth in 2nd tier guys right now.

Just not enough for an impact type

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Just not enough for an impact type

Depends on what you're defining as an "impact." I'm pretty convinced the cubs aren't really going to target a front line starter via trade. My guess is the play is to hope Otani waits another year til he's a true FA rather than IFA restricted and go after him. If that doesn't pan out the 2019 FA class is loaded. I think Caratini and Candelario could probably start a trade for a mid rotation guy to slot after Q/Lester/Hendricks. The thing is there's just not many quality 3B and even fewer C. There's only 18 3B this year with a wRC+ over 100. And if you narrow that to people under 30 you're talking about 15 guys(Anthony Rendon, Jose Ramirez, Kris Bryant, Travis Shaw, Miguel Sano, Jake Lamb, Mike Moustakas, Nolan Arenado, Jedd Gyorko, Eugenio Suarez, Alex Bregman, Joey Gallo, Josh Harrison, Ryon Healy, Kyle Seager). I think you can fairly argue there's far more mid rotation starters than there are 3B's. Pitching is certainly less deep at the top but there's a lot of average guys.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Depends on what you're defining as an "impact." I'm pretty convinced the cubs aren't really going to target a front line starter via trade. My guess is the play is to hope Otani waits another year til he's a true FA rather than IFA restricted and go after him. If that doesn't pan out the 2019 FA class is loaded. I think Caratini and Candelario could probably start a trade for a mid rotation guy to slot after Q/Lester/Hendricks. The thing is there's just not many quality 3B and even fewer C. There's only 18 3B this year with a wRC+ over 100. And if you narrow that to people under 30 you're talking about 15 guys(Anthony Rendon, Jose Ramirez, Kris Bryant, Travis Shaw, Miguel Sano, Jake Lamb, Mike Moustakas, Nolan Arenado, Jedd Gyorko, Eugenio Suarez, Alex Bregman, Joey Gallo, Josh Harrison, Ryon Healy, Kyle Seager). I think you can fairly argue there's far more mid rotation starters than there are 3B's. Pitching is certainly less deep at the top but there's a lot of average guys.
You forgot Matt Davidson.

I agree, Caratini and Candelario could potentially net a #4 type guy. That's not impact.

Just because positions like 3b and C are weak doesn't by default mean prospects highly rated are good.

That said, I'd love to give you all Gonzalez for either.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I agree, Caratini and Candelario could potentially net a #4 type guy. That's not impact.

Just because positions like 3b and C are weak doesn't by default mean prospects highly rated are good.

Davidson doesn't have qualified PAs. Regardless the point still stands. 3B isn't that deep. Also, not sure what your point about weak positions doesn't mean prospects are good is trying to accomplish. Sure prospects are never sure things but that is largely irrelevant to this conversation because every player carries risk. In fact, I'd argue pitching carries far more risk than positional players.

At the end of the day 30 teams have to field a 3B and if they don't have one and if there's nothing worth their time in FA they have few other options than to make trades. Trades require giving equivalent value.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I'd trade both for Lucas Giolito. He has been a little of a disappointment. I think Boz could right that ship.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'd trade both for Lucas Giolito. He has been a little of a disappointment. I think Boz could right that ship.

We've already got the arguably the best pitching coach. Couldn't do that deal for Giolito. Fulmer if you want him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Fullmer is fine. All I care about is the raw material

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Davidson doesn't have qualified PAs. Regardless the point still stands. 3B isn't that deep. Also, not sure what your point about weak positions doesn't mean prospects are good is trying to accomplish. Sure prospects are never sure things but that is largely irrelevant to this conversation because every player carries risk. In fact, I'd argue pitching carries far more risk than positional players.

At the end of the day 30 teams have to field a 3B and if they don't have one and if there's nothing worth their time in FA they have few other options than to make trades. Trades require giving equivalent value.
Matt's off by 6 PA. Give him zeros and he's be right there.

Anyway, no one argues that you don't try to get equal value. You are insinuating that Candy is right there with those 18 you mentioned. I don't think he's seen as that. I'd still take him like I said.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He said he wants that scrub Soto back also....

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Said didn't care about the 60 day thing. 2008 baby

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I believe that MLB has Tseng ranked low. Even after his bump up over the last 2 rankings.

Tseng is sitting on a 1.40 ERA in a hitter friendly league. Kinda a snub on the guy.

Alzolay: 1.69 ERA post promotion. He has really earned his rankings boost.

Seeing how it is a hitters league Tseng really needs to get more love here. And it is not all about the fastball baby. He is a complete pitcher.

If I had to rank them it would be DeLaCruz (potential), Alzolay (production), Albertos(potential and production), Tseng (production), Lang and Little we need to see more live honestly but they are around here. Then Hatch and Clifton.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I believe that MLB has Tseng ranked low. Even after his bump up over the last 2 rankings.

Tseng is sitting on a 1.40 ERA in a hitter friendly league. Kinda a snub on the guy.

Alzolay: 1.69 ERA post promotion. He has really earned his rankings boost.

Seeing how it is a hitters league Tseng really needs to get more love here. And it is not all about the fastball baby. He is a complete pitcher.

If I had to rank them it would be DeLaCruz (potential), Alzolay (production), Albertos(potential and production), Tseng (production), Lang and Little we need to see more live honestly but they are around here. Then Hatch and Clifton.

I mean they didn't even put Rucker on the top 30. Pretty obvious to me they highly rate tools over performance.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I mean they didn't even put Rucker on the top 30. Pretty obvious to me they highly rate tools over performance.

Rucker needs to be in there. I believe it comes down to W-L. That is what forces these guys hands honestly.
tseng and Alzolay both were winning. I honestly am looking at their WHIP right now. Albertos at 0.98. Alzolay: 1.06 Tseng: 1.14. These guys are controlling the strike zone right now. At MB they are giving love to Steel. He does deserve it with his ERA. Everything else is meh. Hatch is a strike out machine and has the tools desired in a SP. He will be high ranked.

I'm not sure why they didn't bother with Rucker. .88 WHIP. SO/9 are epic. Honestly it kinda feels snub due to him being 23 and not having a 90 MPH fastball. They snubbed Robertson also and he has had success at A ball. Again another lower talent higher pitchability guy.

Good thing that Theo drafts guys like that as they tend to become solid MOR/BOR guys. Throwing 96 is sexy and all but I'll take a guy who puts up results.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Rucker needs to be in there. I believe it comes down to W-L. That is what forces these guys hands honestly.
tseng and Alzolay both were winning. I honestly am looking at their WHIP right now. Albertos at 0.98. Alzolay: 1.06 Tseng: 1.14. These guys are controlling the strike zone right now. At MB they are giving love to Steel. He does deserve it with his ERA. Everything else is meh. Hatch is a strike out machine and has the tools desired in a SP. He will be high ranked.

I'm not sure why they didn't bother with Rucker. .88 WHIP. SO/9 are epic. Honestly it kinda feels snub due to him being 23 and not having a 90 MPH fastball. They snubbed Robertson also and he has had success at A ball. Again another lower talent higher pitchability guy.

Good thing that Theo drafts guys like that as they tend to become solid MOR/BOR guys. Throwing 96 is sexy and all but I'll take a guy who puts up results.

I'm like 90% sure it's all based on tools otherwise Underwood has no business being near the top 30 and it explains why Tseng is lower. Tsengs a good pitcher but he doesn't have amazing stuff.