Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Mekkes is going to be a real weapon in a couple of years. His k rate is pretty silly especially when you consider he's often pitching more than 4 outs.

Rucker made #29. Should be happy now.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Rucker pitched again today

6.1 IP 11 hits 1 ER 1 hit 4 k's

Only 93 pitches so given he gave up that many hits he scattered a bunch of them effectively.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rucker pitched again today

6.1 IP 11 hits 1 ER 1 hit 4 k's

Only 93 pitches so given he gave up that many hits he scattered a bunch of them effectively.

Was a article on him. He has been asking coaches on how he can be a SP at the top level and it is all about getting 100 PC and 200 IP. Those are the measuring stick to make it at the top level.

So durability is the main thing that determines SP to BP arm

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I really wish that they would promote Vosler to Iowa. With Candy gone it opens up 3B for him now. Tonight they are playing Young there. And honestly I'm not a fan of his arm at 3B.

They have been using Weeks at 2B which is another AAAA waver pick which blocks playing time.

Honestly they need to keep the engine moving IMO. I can see a AAAA pick up if you have a talent void but as it is they are using a 2B at 3B and sitting LaStella who is also a AAAA 3B/2B.

Go figure.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I think as a playoff team, we need to use AAA as the team that has people ready in case of injuries. Just promoting people because they are doing well at AA doesn't really matter. These position players that are rising through the ranks have nowhere to go once they hit AAA, and their value in playing at AA or AAA doesn't alter much.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think as a playoff team, we need to use AAA as the team that has people ready in case of injuries. Just promoting people because they are doing well at AA doesn't really matter. These position players that are rising through the ranks have nowhere to go once they hit AAA, and their value in playing at AA or AAA doesn't alter much.

Honestly He is not a top 30. What he is is a good RH bat that can be used if something happens next year. Getting him adjusted to career minor league pitchers is a step up vs facing guys on the rise.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Bryan Hudson seems like he's figured some things out. Coming into tonight his last 17 starts he has a 3.35 ERA with a 5.98 k/9 3.24 bb/9. That excludes 2 starts one of which he gave up 7 ER. Tonight he struck out 6 over 5 innings giving up 8 hits 1 ER and 3 walks. The numbers overall seem a bit ho hum but he also has a 65.6% ground ball rate not including today's game where he had 6 ground outs to 2 flyballs. Also, he's 6-8 220 lbs and growing into his body. The K/9 could still go up and honestly I'd expect it to. I'd expect him to gain a few MPH on his fastball over the next few years.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Fernando Kelli seems to have some crazy speed. He's now hitting .347/.468/.485(176 wRC+ LOL) with 54 SB's in 54 games. That's pretty ridiculous speed. Billy Hamilton as an 19 year old had 48 SB in 69 games. I looked through some other big base stealers at that age and most were below 50 SB in similar plate appearances. So, I'd imagine he's probably at least a 70 grade speed maybe more.

I'm curious to follow him as he transitions to state side ball next year. A switch hitting CF with 50+ SB speed and a 12.7%/16.7% bb/k rate? Yes please. He seems like he could be one of the better lead off type hitter types

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Tseng: 7 IP 1 ER b 5-1 now. Maples notched his 4th save. Seems they both will be in the mix for spring.

Jake Stinnett is back but in the pen now at Tenn. Not sure if this is his new thing or a conditioning thing.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Tseng: 7 IP 1 ER b 5-1 now. Maples notched his 4th save. Seems they both will be in the mix for spring.

Jake Stinnett is back but in the pen now at Tenn. Not sure if this is his new thing or a conditioning thing.
Seeing Tseng success has me wishing the Cubs can pull away from division just so we can see him get a start in September ...

Be great if they can address a rotation spot next year with one of their own prospect..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Seeing Tseng success has me wishing the Cubs can pull away from division just so we can see him get a start in September ...

Be great if they can address a rotation spot next year with one of their own prospect..

I believe he would be concidered regardless. It is easier to bring either him or Butler up to spot start than to push Montgomery into duty right now. Settling the pen has higher priority.

But Tseng is not on the 40 man so I expect Butler to have top pickings.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But come next spring I really see Maples and Tseng on the 25 man. Maples has the stuff and the body for it. Edwards and Black also have that high leverage stuff but size has always been a concern for them. Maples has a erratic delivery which pushed him out of the rotation

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But it has been a weird year. Underwood picked it up some. Tseng got past his 2 year slump. Alzolay came out of nowhere. Clifton fell off the table (IMO)

It is becoming increasingly apparent that AA is the hump for pitching. That is where they decide SP or RP. Even then getting through it in 1 season is pretty talented.

Tseng really didn't see a drop off going to Iowa and honestly has looked better in a hitters league. Rest of the staff at Tenn honestly look innings eaters. Alozay has put up quality numbers but the support has not backed him.

Still, Underwood is starting to remind me of E. Jax. Talented but never really met his potential.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I believe he would be concidered regardless. It is easier to bring either him or Butler up to spot start than to push Montgomery into duty right now. Settling the pen has higher priority.

But Tseng is not on the 40 man so I expect Butler to have top pickings.
If their still fighting for a playoff spot in September, no way Maddon goes to a rookie or Anyone else over his regulars in must win games down the stretch...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
But it has been a weird year. Underwood picked it up some. Tseng got past his 2 year slump. Alzolay came out of nowhere. Clifton fell off the table (IMO)

It is becoming increasingly apparent that AA is the hump for pitching. That is where they decide SP or RP. Even then getting through it in 1 season is pretty talented.

Tseng really didn't see a drop off going to Iowa and honestly has looked better in a hitters league. Rest of the staff at Tenn honestly look innings eaters. Alozay has put up quality numbers but the support has not backed him.

Still, Underwood is starting to remind me of E. Jax. Talented but never really met his potential.

There's not much of a talent gap between AA and AAA. In fact a lot of teams keep their best prospects in AA and barely play them in AAA because the thought being if they are good enough for AAA they are good enough for the majors. What you tend to see in AAA is guys who need more polish. So, it makes sense that a guy like Tseng doesn't really struggle in AAA because he's fairly polished he just has a lower ceiling on his tools than some. Basically the way I view the minors is there's a big gap between rookie ball and A ball. There's also one between DSL and rookie ball. A- is a bit weird. A+ is similar to A in the same way AA is similar to AAA. And arguably the biggest gap in talent is between A and AA. With DSL vs state side you're talking about a smaller talent pool in the summer leagues. Adjusting to full season ball in A is a challenge for some. And AA is where you start to see players who have more than just raw tools. AA is where players actually generally have patience hitting and pitchers who can throw strikes with good tools.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hitting I agree with. Pitching is another animal.

Going by what we have seen AA is where Johnson and Edwards got bumped. Clifton stalled. Tseng stalled (more to do with velocity vs polish) Underwood stalled.

So as far as this system goes they make their decisions at Tenn if they are BP/SP or fill.

For the most part they back fill Iowa with career minor league arms for the most part anyways. Tseng is the first sense Hendricks that has a legit shot.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm assuming Rucker is done for the night with 100 pitches but 6 IP, 5 hits 1 walk 2 ER and 9 k's will do....