Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Albertos also pitched last night. 5 IP 2 hits 2 bb 7 k's 0 ER. So far in 2017 he has a 9.26 k/9 and a 3.44 bb/9. That walk rate is a tad high his last 3 outings have been pretty decent. Probably a case of rust from not pitching much last year. Seems like he's getting more into a groove.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Something worth watching...

Cubs signed Chris Nunn to a minor league deal. He's a 6-5 200 lb lefty. He flat out wasn't really successful in the padres' organization. He worked exclusively as a reliever and had a good k rate but no control(10.2 k/9 vs 5.0 bb/9 over 218.1 between rookie league and AA over 4 years). Yesterday he made his debut in the indy leagues as a starter. 5.0 IP, 3H, 1ER, 2BB, 9Ks and he was on a pretty limited pitch count. He apparently throws 97-98 and lefty starters are hard to find. He's almost 27 so there's that downside but for a low risk lottery ticket he's pretty interesting.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So if Lester goes DL do they run Tseng up? He pitched on Lester's day so is lined up if needed. Montgomery could also do a BP day as he got extended innings. Butler is on the DL.

It maybe a good opportunity for Tseng and could push him into sept. on the roster for expansion.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So if Lester goes DL do they run Tseng up? He pitched on Lester's day so is lined up if needed. Montgomery could also do a BP day as he got extended innings. Butler is on the DL.

It maybe a good opportunity for Tseng and could push him into sept. on the roster for expansion.

Tseng if memory serves isn't on the 40 man so I'd doubt it. I think you'd either roll with Montgomery and possibly make room for Maples who might make more sense in the playoffs if they get there than Tseng would or you could just go with Butler again.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Maples is also not on the 40. Butler is on the DL.

Montgomery is most likely with Zast backfilling.

But it is a opertunity and they have José Rosario who they could dump.

Maples has the tools but 32 BB in 58 IP. That is the point that may back fire. We do get wrapp d up with his SO's but if anything had burnt the staff it has been giving AWAY free OBA. Adding another high leverage guy with leaks to a pen full of the same type honestly is just more fuel to the fire.

Not saying he doesn't need a opertunity but they need to keep the pen stable and subtracting Montgomery creates instability.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Maples is also not on the 40. Butler is on the DL.

Montgomery is most likely with Zast backfilling.

But it is a opertunity and they have José Rosario who they could dump.

Maples has the tools but 32 BB in 58 IP. That is the point that may back fire. We do get wrapp d up with his SO's but if anything had burnt the staff it has been giving AWAY free OBA. Adding another high leverage guy with leaks to a pen full of the same type honestly is just more fuel to the fire.

Not saying he doesn't need a opertunity but they need to keep the pen stable and subtracting Montgomery creates instability.

Thing you gotta remember is Tseng has already thrown 133.1 IP this year. His pervious high was 119. Teams don't like to jump players that much. I can't imagine them giving him more than 150 innings which is 2-3 more starts.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Rob Z was brought up, so look for Monty to start in Lester spot..

I heard they cancelled the MRI, he has general shoulder fatigued..
10 Day DL and should be back

Grimm was also DL, injury was that he sucks..

Felix Pena called up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Just FYI Chris Nunn guy i mentioned few posts earlier is starting tonight at AA

edit..... and he got shelled. GG

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Well this is interesting...

Iowa started Pierce Johnson tonight. Through 3 innings he has 7 k's 1 walk and 3 hits.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Im guessing Cubs go outside to bring in 1 SP for next year..

Beck.. outside of Butler and Monty..

Who in cubs organization could we look for in ST to compete for that 5th spot in rotation..

Tseng Johnson ???

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Im guessing Cubs go outside to bring in 1 SP for next year..

Beck.. outside of Butler and Monty..

Who in cubs organization could we look for in ST to compete for that 5th spot in rotation..

Tseng Johnson ???

Well if I had to guess going into spring training you'd be looking at Butler, Ryan Williams, Monty, Tseng, Alex Mills and maybe Underwood if they think he's back. First 4 I would say are realistic contenders. Underwood I'd imagine is a decent long shot. There might be someone I'm forgetting. AAA had a bunch of guys who were basically MLB ready in case of injury as AAA depth that ended up getting hurt themselves. Re: Johnson, they pulled him after 3 innings and I'd forgot they had several straight days of double headers because of previous rain outs. My guess is they just wanted to give him some work. Think he's still a bullpen arm for them though 7 k's in 9 outs is still iimpressive.

Overall, just going with my gut here but knowing the cubs front office I'd expect them to find someone like Lackey was 2 years ago to plug in as their #4 and go with one of the guys mentioned above as their #5. They could also end up even going more conservative with a 1 year prove it type deal. Alzolay is only like a year or so away from the majors. Cubs don't typically push prospects the same way a team like Atlanta does. That's why it was pretty surprising to see them go so hard on Russell and Schwarber so quickly though in the case of Schwarber he was killing minor league pitching. Basically they need to buy a year maybe a year and a half and then you start talking about guys like Hatch being possible. Myrtle Beach in particular has been killer for starting pitching this year with Alzolay starting there and being promoted, Rucker with his 2.16 ERA over 96.0 innings between A and A+, Duncan Robinson with his 2.09 ERA over 116.1 innings between A and A+, Justin Steele with his 2.92 ERA over 98.2 innings, Thomas Hatch with his 4.09 ERA over 110.0 though his underlying numbers are decent. And that isn't even mentioning Oscar De La Cruz who's been hurt.

Now I'm not sure any of those guys is an ace level arm but that's a pretty big wave of decent pitching who can probably fill out the middle of a rotation even if you factor in busts/injury. They just have to buy time to get the guys there.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well this is interesting...

Iowa started Pierce Johnson tonight. Through 3 innings he has 7 k's 1 walk and 3 hits.

It was Zast's day to start. So it was a fill in. He has been a BP arm for the past 2 years and Maybe they are trying to stretch him out. Can't hurt.

Butler DL => Zast moved back to SP. Zast promoted => Johnson spot start.

Mills has been injured all year long. I really don't see the Cubs banking on a guy like that.

Butler was AAAA. Pretty much enuf said. I see him moving on honestly. He might end up another Straily but it is doubtful.

I still see it as Tseng getting the 5. The TOR RH they don't have trade collateral to get a Archer type. So they will have to go after a F/A. System is not producing any TOR. Sure they have some really good looking MOR but for the most part they are not ace material.

Replacing Jake is going to be the hard bit. Replacing Lackey is not as challenging with Tseng/Healthy Hendricks.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But if there is one guy that maybe a TOR I believe it will be Alex Lange. He has that make up that is desired.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I still see it as Tseng getting the 5.

My point is more they aren't going to just give one guy the job. They will trot out several guys and if someone wins it great. The rest will be AAA depth.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My point is more they aren't going to just give one guy the job. They will trot out several guys and if someone wins it great. The rest will be AAA depth.

I agree with that. I just don't see any of the filler holding a spot over Tseng right now. He came up and plain dominated the league. Rest have tossed many of a turd game and are filler for a reason.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
2016 19th Rd pick Matt Swarmer called up from A ball to pitch in AAA tonight is making it look easy...

7 IP 0 Runs 8 Ks

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
2016 19th Rd pick Matt Swarmer called up from A ball to pitch in AAA tonight is making it look easy...

7 IP 0 Runs 8 Ks

His underlying numbers are interesting. 9+ k/9 and sub 2 bb/9. He's also got good size at 6-5. Don't know too much about him other than that. His A ERA hasn't matched his underlying numbers. Looks to be a some what soft tosser though.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Also, FWIW the 2016 pitching class is looking really strong. Hatch was their top pitck. Tyson Miller and Bailey Clark seem like a work in progress but have good tools. Chad Hockin's underlying numbers have been great. Stephen Ridings hasn't really pitched much. But then you get Duncan Robinson, Dakota Mekkes, and Michael Rucker who've all been fantastic. Wyatt Short has looked good in relief work.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Also, FWIW the 2016 pitching class is looking really strong. Hatch was their top pitck. Tyson Miller and Bailey Clark seem like a work in progress but have good tools. Chad Hockin's underlying numbers have been great. Stephen Ridings hasn't really pitched much. But then you get Duncan Robinson, Dakota Mekkes, and Michael Rucker who've all been fantastic. Wyatt Short has looked good in relief work.
My hope is in these next couple years, like we seen the hitters the last couple years, we start seeing these young pitchers start emerging onto the team..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
My hope is in these next couple years, like we seen the hitters the last couple years, we start seeing these young pitchers start emerging onto the team..

I feel like the cubs have been decent at finding guys but I feel like the problem is they haven't really found higher upside guys. For example, they've found guys like Preston Morrison and Ryan Williams who've pitched well although not so much this year with Morrison. Rucker and Robinson are sorta of in that mold based on the scouting I've read though Rucker's numbers look fantastic. I'm not sure how many guys you can truly say have #1/2 upside. Albertos probably does but he's so young and so far away. De La Cruz could but he's not been able to stay healthy. Alzolay to me looks like a #3. Same goes for Hatch. Little and Lange maybe but it's tough to say at this point though Lange in particular I do think is very interesting if he irons out some of his control issues.