Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Don't know basically anything about either of these guys. Felix Stevens Canizares is huge though. He was apparently 6'4 214 at 17 years old. $300k isn't really much money in terms of IFAs but it's enough to make you a fringe prospect.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Those interested in cubs prospects, this guy a good follow on Twitter
df05764bcdde4a49712a4f2008f3d9dd.jpg

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Cubs had multiple scouts at Saturday night’s game between Cal and Pepperdine at Grand Canyon University. More than three dozen major-league scouts watched Cal first baseman Andrew Vaughn, who is projected as a top-five pick in the 2019 amateur draft, hit a two-run opposite-field home run in his first at-bat.

A Cubs team official also attended Friday’s game between Ball State and Stanford, in which Ball State sophomore Drey Jameson threw six no-hit innings while striking out nine with a fastball clocked as high as 97 mph.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Big year for Cubs pitchers in the minor. Got some guys who can take the next steps.

Alex Lange- Does he start to become a front line starter or does he look like the bullpen is his future. Nasty hammer on him

Adbert Alzolay- Does he continue to get stronger? Cubs love the guy. Another is he going to stay a starter or wind up in bullpen.

Brendan Little- People like him as a closer. Another one who needs to show is he a starter or a bullpen guy.

Justin Steele- Hard throwing left with good sink. Coming back from injury but was showing real good mid rotation stuff.

Oscar De La Cruz- Has fallen due to injuries but this guy could be something. Two plus pitches, command, getting better. Big year out of him is what I am thinking.

I didnt mention Brailyn Marquez. He is only 20 and has a ways to go. He will probably hit a 100 on his fastball as he gets bigger. Good bit of work to do outside of that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Big year for Cubs pitchers in the minor. Got some guys who can take the next steps.

Alex Lange- Does he start to become a front line starter or does he look like the bullpen is his future. Nasty hammer on him

Adbert Alzolay- Does he continue to get stronger? Cubs love the guy. Another is he going to stay a starter or wind up in bullpen.

Brendan Little- People like him as a closer. Another one who needs to show is he a starter or a bullpen guy.

Justin Steele- Hard throwing left with good sink. Coming back from injury but was showing real good mid rotation stuff.

Oscar De La Cruz- Has fallen due to injuries but this guy could be something. Two plus pitches, command, getting better. Big year out of him is what I am thinking.

I didnt mention Brailyn Marquez. He is only 20 and has a ways to go. He will probably hit a 100 on his fastball as he gets bigger. Good bit of work to do outside of that.

I think Alozay comes up this year in the pen. I can see him as a BP arm first to acclimate to the majors. His stuff is good enough to be in high leverage situations. But I do see him in AAA as a starter until then.

Steel I don't see promoted. I see him getting a full year in in Iowa and shut down. TJ recovery is a bit more than a lat injury. I really just see him as a legit starting option where Alozay lacks a left handed counter.

Lange and little were a bit rough last year. I don't see any rush with them.

Marquez has the best top end in the system but lacks command. We are talking Randy Johnson impact potential so it could also implode when talking about a raw toolbox like that.

ODLC used drugs to overcome his injury prone body. Let's keep this in prospective at least. This shit has happened before. Players gamble on using. Get a 50 day fine and take the risk that the reward will end up as a payday. I don't try to act above it or anything. My issue is if he needs artificial means to be healthy then he is a bad gamble.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

It came up early on the MLB atbat AP.

They do like to over project young arms here. Marquez now Has the top pitcher billing. I really hate when they do that. Underwood then ODLC then Alberto's and Alozay now Marquez. They jump on the bandwaggon the right off when the first issue comes up.

I'm at the point of liking guys like Hendricks and Rucker. Under the radar but stable. Steele falls here also. Steady in their rankings vs skyrocket hype train and fall to reality when the talent get above HS talent.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cole Roederer is getting some nice hype

Roederer is really interesting and I like him. Hell I even was hyping him up a month after the draft pretty hard. But the guy i'm really interested this year is Brennen Davis. If he can hit for average he has massive tools. He could easily be a 30/30 guy in the future playing CF.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I feel this falls under facing talent over HS. He is not even at A ball yet. A+ to AA is where the talent tends to even out so if he is excelling at that point then the hype train should start.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It would be dependent on production.

Bryant: 248 AB AA to 244 AB AAA 2014
Schwarber 197 AB AA 60 AB AAA 2015
Happ 248 AB AA 2016, 2017 104 AB AAA

So the trend for the fast promotes has been around 250 AB at AA. If he is leading off avg 5 PA per game it would take around 50 games there.

http://www.milb.com/schedule/index.jsp?sid=t553

June would be the window.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
1) Miguel Amaya (MLB No. 92), C -- Myrtle Beach Pelicans (A Adv)
2) Nico Hoerner (MLB No. 98), SS -- Tennessee Smokies (AA)
3) Brailyn Marquez, LHP -- South Bend Cubs (A)
4) Adbert Alzolay, RHP -- Iowa Cubs (AAA) -- IL
5) Cole Roederer, OF -- South Bend Cubs (A)
6) Aramis Ademan, SS -- Myrtle Beach Pelicans (A Adv)
7) Brennen Davis, OF -- Extended spring training
8) Justin Steele, LHP -- Tennessee Smokies (AA)
9) Cory Abbott, RHP -- Tennessee Smokies (AA)
10) Keegan Thompson, RHP -- Tennessee Smokies (AA)
11) Zack Short, SS -- Iowa Cubs (AAA)
12) Alex Lange, RHP -- Myrtle Beach Pelicans (A Adv)
13) Brendon Little, LHP -- Myrtle Beach Pelicans (A Adv) -- IL
14) Richard Gallardo, RHP -- Extended spring training
15) Nelson Velazquez, OF -- South Bend Cubs (A)
16) Yovanny Cruz, RHP -- Extended spring training
17) Thomas Hatch, RHP -- Tennessee Smokies (AA)
18) Paul Richan, RHP -- Myrtle Beach Pelicans (A Adv)
19) Tyson Miller, RHP -- Tennessee Smokies (AA)
20) Trent Giambrone, 2B/SS -- Iowa Cubs (AAA)
21) Reivaj Garcia, 2B -- Extended spring training
22) Oscar De La Cruz, RHP -- Suspended
23) Jose Albertos, RHP -- Extended spring training
24) Dakota Mekkes, RHP -- Iowa Cubs (AAA)
25) Duane Underwood, RHP -- Iowa Cubs (AAA)
26) Christopher Morel, 3B/SS -- Extended spring training
27) Riley Thompson, RHP -- South Bend Cubs (A)
28) Luis Verdugo, SS/3B -- Extended spring training
29) Jhonny Pereda, C -- Tennessee Smokies (AA)
30) Andy Weber, SS/2B -- South Bend Cubs (A)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Weird. Just noticed that MLB dumped Rucker off the top 30. That feels undeserved

So they held him back at Tenn this year also.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Swarmer starting tonight in Iowa. Might be the most under the radar SP in the system. Career 1.18 WHIP strike outs just over 9 per 9 innings.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Eddy Martinez is hitting .333/.400/.333 through 3 games. If he could hop back on the legit prospect path would be a big deal. Still has the defensive tools that made him interesting just hasn't hit. Keegan Thompson also looks pretty legit. Dewees is also hitting .429/.500/1.143 since coming back to the cubs. Those are my 3 biggest takeaways in the super early season.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Eddy Martinez is hitting .333/.400/.333 through 3 games. If he could hop back on the legit prospect path would be a big deal. Still has the defensive tools that made him interesting just hasn't hit. Keegan Thompson also looks pretty legit. Dewees is also hitting .429/.500/1.143 since coming back to the cubs. Those are my 3 biggest takeaways in the super early season.

Mekkes is the guy I'm watching now. He was the closer at MSU so pitching on a big stage when the games matter is part of his DNA. It is really just a matter of time right now with him.