Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I would give serious credence to moving Chatwood to the bullpen and trying to either promote or get a cheap 5 like Ross.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would give serious credence to moving Chatwood to the bullpen and trying to either promote or get a cheap 5 like Ross.

His walks are of a concern. I'm not sure tossing out a untested Underwood is a wise choice here.

Drew Smyly went under the knife 4/4/2017 1 year timeline for pitchers under Tommy John

Cubs placed LHP Drew Smyly on the 60-day disabled list with a torn left ulnar collateral ligament.
The move clears a spot on the 40-man roster for Shae Simmons. Smyly will be sidelined until after the All-Star break as he recovers from Tommy John surgery. Feb 16 - 1:24 PM

We might see him in Aug in the pen which would be a huge boost there.

But as I was thinking if Chattwood fails then trade Underwood for Ross in July. Then in Aug get Smyly through rehab and into the pen. Then in the post season you have Smyly/Ross/Chattwood providing piggyback work.

Then by next season they have Smyly under contract and removed from surgery. Which puts the #5 into a battle.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/...hutout-streaks-lacy-set-career-high-with-8-k/

This was a tough loss, as it wasted a really strong outing from Trevor Clifton, who allowed just three base runners over 6 shutout innings. There was a bit of luck as some hard hit balls were directed at fielders but there is no question that Clifton is rediscovering his stuff after a rough second half last year. Clifton is back throwing in the low-90s but most importantly his curveball is returning, as well as his solid changeup. He isn't missing bats at near the rate he did during his breakout 2016 season at Myrtle Beach, but teams are rarely squaring him up either. Trevor Clifton: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K

Clifton isn't the only guy to toss his second consecutive scoreless outing. Alex Lange accomplished the feat as well, and in even more dominating fashion. Coming off a career-high 10 strikeouts over six shutout innings his last time out, Lange overpowered Winston-Salem with another five strikeouts across five innings in this one. Alex Lange: 5 IP, 5 H, 0 R, BB, 5 K (W, 3-2, 3.26)

Going back three starts Alex Lange has not allowed a run over his last 13 innings and has given up just one in 16 innings. He entered his start on May 17th with a 4.65 ERA but now sits at 3.26 two weeks later.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lange is the guy that I'm thinking may end up as a future staff ace. He is advanced enough to push through the system while having a curve that plays at the major league level. Add to it he was from a major college baseball program and playing on a larger stage has been already drilled into him. He pretty much has the intangibles that you look at in a future ace going.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Interesting. Part of Justin Steele’s T.J. Rehab program involves being a twitch streamer.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lange: 6 IP 2 hits. 1 BB 4 SO no runs.

2.89 ERA, 7.8 H/9, 1.69 BB/9, 7.64 SO/9 0 HR still.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Noticed that they pushed Dakota Mekkes up to AAA. Pitched the 7th last night. Was Tenn's closer with a 0.81 ERA and a 0.99 WHIP. I could see them putting him on the 40 if needed this year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Trevor Clifton to AAA, Matt Swarmer promoted to AA, Cory Abbott to A+

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Been really impressed by Cory Abbott. His last 6 starts have been fantastic. He has 47 k's 13 bb 17 hits and 13 er over 39 IP. That comes out to a 10.84 k/9 3 bb/9 0.77 WHIP and a 3 ERA.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rotations:

Iowa

Tseng
Mills
Underwood
Clifton
(Ryan DL)
(Alzolay DL)

Tenn

De La Cruz
Hatch
Rucker
Robinson
Swarmer

MB

Miller
Lange
Thompson
Hudson
Abbott

SB

Assad
Lacy
Little
Thomas
Uelmen

Looking it over:

AAA they spot started Torrez. Alzolay is eligible to return. No word on him yet.

Clifton made sense promoting. Was putting up a 2.86 ERA He was starting to distance himself from the rest of the staff. None seem ready for a promote.

So I'm expecting Farrell returned honestly now.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't know much about Jesus Camargo but his stats are fairly interestingly. Sadly he's a bit on the smaller size so I think he may end up a reliever but he's been fantastic everywhere he's pitched.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Heard some good things about Vazquez. Got the impression he's a pretty good defender and the bat is interesting but needs some work.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Using my elite hacker skills aka using google cached pages I was able to circumvent baseball america's paywall on their recent article about the NL central IFA preview. Here's what they had to say

Chicago Cubs

The Cubs have been under the penalty the last two years, though with a heavy scouting presence in Mexico, the Cubs still were able to sign prospects for more than $300,000, adding righthander Florencio Serrano and shortstop Luis Verdugo last year from Mexican League clubs. With the rest of their handcuffs coming off starting on July 2, the Cubs will be in heavy on pitching and athletic, middle-of-the-diamond position players. For some scouts, Venezuelan righthander Richard Gallardo is the top 2018 pitching prospect available, with a fastball up to 93 mph, a sharp curveball and the ability to fill up the strike zone. Gallardo is likely to sign with the Cubs, though he isn’t expected to get their biggest bonus. That will probably go to Jose Lopez, a Dominican center fielder with plus speed and a strong arm, with a projected price around $1.5 million. The Cubs have a deep scouting history with Dominican shortstop Rafael Morel—they signed his older brother, Christopher Morel, for $800,000 in 2015—and they look ready to sign Rafael for a comparable bonus. Venezuelan lefthander Joel Machado is also connected to the Cubs.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Fabian Pertuz might be a guy to keep an eye on. He's only in DSL right now as a 17 year old but he's got some rather bonkers numbers for a SS. He's hitting .351/.520/.405 with 24.0%/12.0% bb/k rates. He has next to no power but considering he's a relative unknown that sorta walk rate for a 17 year old is something to keep an eye on when you're talking about a premium position(SS).

Ricardo Verenzuela is also worth keeping an eye on. He's 18 so a year older than the premium DSL types but he's a CF who's hitting .300/.407/.371 with 14.9%/14.9% bb/k rate. He looks like he may be similar to Fernando Kelli was around this time last year. Not sure he has quite Kelli's speed but he's got 10 SB in 19 games thus far.

Alexander Ovalles is also a 17 year old CF who's hitting .310/.419/.366 with 16.1%/14.9% bb/k rates with 7 stolen bases in 19 games.

Those are the only 3 hitters in the DSL that have really caught my eyes. I may take a look at DSL pitchers at some point but they are sort of harder to project.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Impressive slash lines at that age.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
1: Alzolay(AAA): DL shut down for season. Lat strain.
2: Aramis Ademan(A+): .214/.300/.307 Maybe a step back this year. Has the feel of a UI right now. Most likely falls in the rankings.
3: Oscar De La Cruz(AA): 5-6 5.32 ERA Kinda underwhelming honestly this year. 70 SO in 69 IP is decent. He has the feel of a typical #4 right now except for the fact that he is not avg 5 IP per game.
4: Jose Albertos(A-): Disappointment only gets greater. Fails at A ball now boated ERA at short season. Meh
5: Alex Lange: Didn't get the promote to Tenn and failed to get past the 5th in his last start. His numbers are still solid over all so not sure on the snub.
6: Brendon Little: Better than last year. More of a project right now and while not great a hot string of starts inflates his value. Starter for now.
7: Thomas Hatch: Still at AA. pushing 6 IP per game. SO's are a bit low but other than that safe bet to establish himself.
8: DJ Wilson: See #2
9: Nelson Velazquez Demoted To A- Hitting .188...
10: Miguel Amaya Best bat thus far. .271/.349/.475 for a catcher 10 HR's. Easily the systems best positional talent right now.

I really don't like rankings in general but accounting for age vs comp you see a few over challenged kids putting up crap seasons.

In general I see Amaya in A ball at the age of 19 (same as Albertos and Ademan) as the top young prospect in the whole system.

As far as pitching goes the top arm in general is Lange with Hatch as a safe bet. Keegan Thompson got the promote nod to AA and got slapped around for it. Up until then he was avg 5 2/3 IP. So a nice middle to back arm that is advanced for A+ hitting. AA should be his settling ground when he adapts there.