CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Peeps are biased because he was a Hendry pick? That's a stretch. The fact that he was a Hendry pick and the current regime is pouring tons of energy into this kid should tell everyone what they think of Javy's potential. I cringed at his swing mechanics. They needed considerable tweaking and he needed a better mental approach. It sounds as if he has grasped that and made significant changes. His second callup should go considerably different than the first, but until he proves it, it's just the fans' wishful thinking.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Fowler (OBA .351)
Bryant (OBA .391)
Rizzo (OBA .440)
Baez
Montero (OBA 387)
Soler (OBA .342)
Castro (OBA .301)
Pitcher
Russell (OBA .291)

I think that is legit line up. It puts Baez after Rizzo and ahead of Montero. He should get good pitches hitting there. Also it puts out a very talented line up every day.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Peeps are biased because he was a Hendry pick? That's a stretch. The fact that he was a Hendry pick and the current regime is pouring tons of energy into this kid should tell everyone what they think of Javy's potential. I cringed at his swing mechanics. They needed considerable tweaking and he needed a better mental approach. It sounds as if he has grasped that and made significant changes. His second callup should go considerably different than the first, but until he proves it, it's just the fans' wishful thinking.

People still bring up Hendry from time to time. Its funny.

Anyways, what did you think of the home run. The difference I am seeing is he seems way more quiet on his swing. He still has the big load and the violent swing, but it doesn't seem as violent as before. His extreme bat waggle has been cut. His hand are lower and he is standing close to the plate almost like Rizzo.

This is what has me excited is he isn't swinging for home runs. He is sacrificing power for a more complete approach, but he has so much power that if he just hits mistakes out. He is still a 30 plus homer guy.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:

Anyways, what did you think of the home run. The difference I am seeing is he seems way more quiet on his swing. He still has the big load and the violent swing, but it doesn't seem as violent as before. His extreme bat waggle has been cut. His hand are lower and he is standing close to the plate almost like Rizzo.

This is what has me excited is he isn't swinging for home runs. He is sacrificing power for a more complete approach, but he has so much power that if he just hits mistakes out. He is still a 30 plus homer guy.

Definitely looks more controlled...

"I-#Cubs hitting coach Brian Harper said Baez has also cut his swing down: "400 foot home runs are just as good as a 600 foot home run." #PCL"

https://twitter.com/TommyBirch/status/602585436557594624

(from http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/...-baez-hrs-twice-null-wins-5th-torres-returns/)

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Definitely looks more controlled...

"I-#Cubs hitting coach Brian Harper said Baez has also cut his swing down: "400 foot home runs are just as good as a 600 foot home run." #PCL"

https://twitter.com/TommyBirch/status/602585436557594624

(from http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/...-baez-hrs-twice-null-wins-5th-torres-returns/)

This is why I want him up if he keeps forcing. The Cubs are missing one bat and this guy could be the thunder in the middle. Also, if he succeeds then you can take your time with Schwarber if you believe he truly is your catcher. We can sign pitching and have more reserves. The draft will be telling because people has us on a college arm.

Also, I don't mind trading at the deadline but I do not want to dump the farm if the person isn't around long term. This team is going to have a scary offense. They are an arm and a bullpen arm or two from being a perennial top team every year. Don't blow your wad early before truly evaluating.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

I don't see significant changes to the swing as much as I see more control within the swing. I see him starting slower and earlier, which is huge.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Im fine with all that. I just find it funny that Baez gets blasted and other player deficiency's get ignored.

How did I ignore Russell's K rate? I specifically brought it up myself saying it was higher than you would like. As far as being biased one way or another, expecting a 21 year old to k at a 30% rate shouldn't be unexpected. There's a clear difference between that and striking out at a 40%+ rate and my expectations between the two are reflected based on that. That and the fact he played poorly. People who play poorly catch heat that's just the way it is. You were here prior to 2014 and you heard people talking crap about Rizzo too so this shouldn't surprise anyone. That being said, if Baez ultimately does fix his issues I'll be just as happy as anyone.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Javier Baez has a .944 OPS in 99 Triple-A plate appearances this season, yet ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers wonders if the former top prospect can find playing time with the Cubs no matter how well he’s hitting. Baez has been splitting time between second base and shortstop in the minors, though the Cubs are obviously set at both positions with Addison Russell and Starlin Castro. Of course, questions remain about Baez both defensively (he already has 11 errors, nine at short) and offensively (he has 24 strikeouts in his 99 PA, and nine walks) and thus the Cubs could decide he’s expendable; Rogers notes that shifting Baez between two positions could be an audition for other teams just as much as it has to do with his development. That said, Rogers also observes that the Cubs are under no pressure to swing a deal now and have plenty of time to figure out how to best deploy their numerous young talents.
Rogers hears from league sources that the Cubs have repeatedly turned down offers for Russell and have no interest in trading him. If Chicago does decide to move a notable middle infielder, then, it would have to be Baez or Castro.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Cubs have the ninth pick overall in the June 8 First-Year Player Draft, and McLeod said they have narrowed their list of players to four. The scouts will meet in Chicago on Sunday to begin a week of meetings prior to the Draft.

Manager Joe Maddon said Sunday that Kyle Schwarber, the Cubs' top pick in last year's First-Year Player Draft, could be the type of hitter they'd add in September. The left-handed hitting catcher, who is the Cubs' No. 3 prospect according to MLB.com, was batting .305 in 41 games at Double-A Tennessee with 10 home runs, six doubles and one triple.
"I think that's a conversation to take place," McLeod said. "A lot depends on what's happening with the Major League team. He's having a great year right now. We felt he was an impact bat last year and to step in at Double-A and what he's doing while he's catching and going into his first full season as a catcher behind the plate, we couldn't be more happy. He's controlling the zone, he's hitting for average, hitting for power.
"A lot of us believe in his ability," McLeod said. "If the need was there to come up here and help this team win later this year, I think he could do it."

CHICAGO -- Javier Baez is on a roll, batting .321 in 23 games this month at Triple-A Iowa, but the infielder's success has not prompted the Cubs to want to promote him to the big league team right now.

"He's on a really good run right now," said Jason McLeod, Cubs senior vice president of scouting and player development. "The mindset is there. He had to deal with a lot in the offseason on a professional level and certainly with what took place with his family. He's in a good place right now."
Baez was a regular with the Cubs at the end of last season, but batted .169 in 52 games, striking out 95 times in 213 at-bats. He was projected as the starting second baseman, but the Cubs decided Baez needed more development, and he was assigned to Iowa. His sister, Noely, passed away in April, and Baez missed the first month of the season.
"All we're concerned about now is him maintaining this," McLeod said Tuesday of Baez. "He's someone who wants to come up here and help the team win. Those are conversations that take place every day."
The Cubs have emphasized to young players the need to be versatile, saying it could help them get to the big leagues quicker. Baez has played second and shortstop at Iowa, and there are no plans to move him to the outfield.
"He does kid around and will take fly balls in the outfield," McLeod said. "We might have him do some of those things. It wouldn't be predicated on what's happening here."
Why not have Baez play outfield?
"Who knows? It wouldn't be surprising if we did see him out there," McLeod said. "No plans are in the works to do that -- I want to make that clear. Because he does have the athleticism and the ability and he's a baseball player, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go out there and be pretty darn good."

http://m.cubs.mlb.com/news/article/126790232/cubs-being-patient-with-hot-hitting-baez

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What bothers me is managements reluctance to move him off position. It just makes me believe that they are looking to trade 1 of the 3 vs fit all 3 on the team. Then add to the Schwarber talk in Sept again points to the LF issue.

I've asked myself this: They have said repeatedly no about Russell. Then it is Baez or Castro centered in a trade to upgrade Wada. (Hendricks starting to look like his last year self). Now who has more value? I would say Baez just because of his higher top end and Castro is putting up a .072 ISO this year. Baez is pretty much MLB ready so it matters little on if they need a guy now or down the road.

I know most here are against Hamels. I'm seeing 5-3 with a 2.98 on a shitty team. 1.13 WHIP. Sorry he is still my prime target.

Outside of him sure you could go after Grey but that puts the rotation at 4 RH and 1 LH. Does it matter? Kinda

But for arguement sake they trade Baez for Hamels. You have to figure Vogelbach added in. Cubs really don't have a legit pitching prospect so it would be bat heavy.
They have Franco at 3B. Their MI top prospect (Crawford)is at A+ so he would come soon. So they could go with Baez and Utley up the middle. Howard for a year. Following year Vogelbach and Crawford promote up and Baez moves to 2B.

Who knows maybe Baez, Vogelbach and a arm gets it done. Maybe Underwood.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Gleyber Torres is now hitting .340/.418/.420 as an 18 year old in A. Don't think there's any chance he skips to AA but sure seems like it's time for A+.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Gleyber Torres is now hitting .340/.418/.420 as an 18 year old in A. Don't think there's any chance he skips to AA but sure seems like it's time for A+.

From what I've been reading they have no plans to promote him to Myrtle Beach this year. He's the youngest player In the Midwest League and they don't want to push him.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
From what I've been reading they have no plans to promote him to South Bend this year. He's the youngest player In the Carolina League and they don't want to push him.

I can sort of understand not wanting to over challenge a guy but when you're hitting .340/.418.... what's there to improve on? I'd have to look it up but I think he's the best hitter in that league right now or at least top 5. I'm just not sure what else you'd be waiting on other than like I said not wanting to push someone too far too fast. His walk rate is 11.1%. His k rate is 19.3%. Not much power there but he's not expected to be much of a power hitter anyways plus I mean he's 18.

Also do you mean to A+? South Bend is A ball which he's already at. Myrtle Beach is their A+.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I can sort of understand not wanting to over challenge a guy but when you're hitting .340/.418.... what's there to improve on? I'd have to look it up but I think he's the best hitter in that league right now or at least top 5. I'm just not sure what else you'd be waiting on other than like I said not wanting to push someone too far too fast. His walk rate is 11.1%. His k rate is 19.3%. Not much power there but he's not expected to be much of a power hitter anyways plus I mean he's 18.

Also do you mean to A+? South Bend is A ball which he's already at. Myrtle Beach is their A+.

He is the reason why I believe they will be willing to trade a MI this year. If you think about it, they trade Baez for a TOR at the deadline that keeps the MI status que. Castro makes 6 mil this year and 7 mil next. So Torres would be in A then A+ at that point. 2018 10 mil and 2019 11 mil. Torres AA and AAA. 2020 a 16 mil buy out. Torres takes over and they opt out. Or they promote him and trade Castro pre F/A.

So there is no need to rush him. If he keeps on a reg promotion he promotes at the right time. Rushing him just causes another log jamb.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Yeah in addled morning brain I had them reversed. I meant from South Bend to Myrtle Beach. In of the minor league reports on Cubs Den this week it was reported that Cubs are very unlikely to move him up this year. I also heard it from another source on the radio last week.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Torres is no way in the Cubs plan at this point. They are not going to make moves because of him. He is depth that if he succeeds becomes another piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, Baez not being promoted I doubt had to do with trade at this point. If the Cubs wait till June 9th, they get another year of control on him and they are def. going to do that.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Torres is no way in the Cubs plan at this point. They are not going to make moves because of him. He is depth that if he succeeds becomes another piece

No, you don't plan for an 18 year old in A ball. I also doubt he'll ever be a Cub. This is a team going into contention years. They will be making moves every season and every off season. You gotta love what Torres is doing, if you love the game you love kids like that, but you also have to hope that there a some scouts and GM's that like him too. He's the kind of piece that add value to a trade package beyond what a normal A ball prospect would add while at the same time being an asset you hadn't even started counting on yet. If he sweetens the pot for a player you really think will help you win a WS then win-win.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Schwarber is up to 15 in KLAW's rankings. It should be noted KLAW wasn't ever much a fan of him as he didn't view him as a catcher so seeing him that high is interesting.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Schwarber is up to 15 in KLAW's rankings. It should be noted KLAW wasn't ever much a fan of him as he didn't view him as a catcher so seeing him that high is interesting.

can you post the list or link to it?