Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
5 guys that push 2.00 ERA? Sign me up

Not my type of pitcher which is why I've never quite warmed to Hendricks. Don't get me wrong, he's a tough competitor but he depends on solid command and doesn't have the stuff to compensate when that's not there. I like that we finally have some guys with velocity coming.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It doesn't matter if it is 84 or 94. You run it down the pipe it gets wrecked.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Casey Kelly pitched well in AAA last night. 5 IP, 2 R, 5 H, 1 BB, 6 K

Given the other reclamation projects he sorta gets lost but he was at one time a big name and he's still 27.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Casey Kelly pitched well in AAA last night. 5 IP, 2 R, 5 H, 1 BB, 6 K

Given the other reclamation projects he sorta gets lost but he was at one time a big name and he's still 27.

I wouldn't view him more than a Iowa starter at this point. He has come up after Brooks has been shelled. Brooks ERA over 7 now with Buchanan pushing 6. Mills back from the DL so not sure on him. Zan only got .1 of a inning before pulled. Seth Frankoff honestly is one of their better starters now.

So all in all I see him as having a good opertunity to start games in Iowa all year and hold down the fort this year. He is in the same boat Mills is in. Little exposure in the bigs and limited success.

That said I see why Jed offer him a deal as he was in their system in SD. But that doesn't open doors.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Dylan cease injured today running to cover 1st..
Appeared to be an ankle injury, unknown how serious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Dylan cease injured today running to cover 1st..
Appeared to be an ankle injury, unknown how serious

Last heard, he was ok

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Tseng had another strong outing in AA: 6 IP, 1 R (0 ER), 4 H, 2 BB, 4 K

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That rotation is the Cubs best in their system. Hedges has been avg the most IP/game and has gotten a decision in each. Tseng holds the best WHIP. Clifton ERA. Morrison has had not much luck. Underwood through 5 looks like a ace. After the 5th is where he has been hurt.

They should promote Eloy up to AA. That team needs a Impact bat. That line up is mostly filler types.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Been saying for awhile I think he's the one to watch. He's now got 42 k's and 11 bb's in 47.1 innings at A+. That's roughly 8 k/9 and 2.1 bb/9. Think the K/9 might be a little low on him given what his past numbers have been but his control has always been this good. Part of the reason I like him so much is given that control he probably wont need much time in the higher minors. I could realistically see him in AA by midseason. If he pitches well in AA he might start in AAA next year and be a step away from the majors. Still probably needs to build some stamina on his arm as he's not really pitched that 100 innings you wanna see but from a stuff/control standpoint he seems close.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Also for what it's worth I think MLB.com is close to putting him in their top 100. He has a 55 overall grade and generally that's top 100 guys. Right now De La Cruz, Jahmai Jones(angels), and Harrison Bader(cards) are the only guys i see who are a 55 grade and not in the top 100.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I agree with that. But 11 runs in the 1st. Eloy drove in 5 runs that inning.

That game was insane

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He has never pitched over 75 innings in a year. I'm pretty sure that is the main factor keeping him out of the top 100.

Cease has better pure stuff but if De La Cruze can push out 20 starts + with out injury he should become the top pitcher in the system.

Cease still needs to learn the art of command and easy outs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Was looking at some of the Cubs' system arms and Duncon Robinson caught my notice. Like Hendricks from Dartmouth but more projectable at 6'6" 220. Seeing how they are pushing him into a starting role at SB and he leads the system in ERA and WHIP makes you wonder if he starts to rise in the rankings.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Was looking at some of the Cubs' system arms and Duncon Robinson caught my notice. Like Hendricks from Dartmouth but more projectable at 6'6" 220. Seeing how they are pushing him into a starting role at SB and he leads the system in ERA and WHIP makes you wonder if he starts to rise in the rankings.

Doubtful. He's already 23.5. Maybe you argue he progresses through the system fast but you're talking 2-3 years minimum barring no injuries before he's in the majors. That's not to say 26-27 year old pitchers don't come along and surprise people but age is a big deal generally. As an example here, the average age in the midwest league is 21.2 years old. So he really should be dominating competition. Most pitchers his age are in AA.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Tseng had another strong outing. 6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 5 Ks

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Tseng had another strong outing. 6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 5 Ks

He has had a strong bounce back season. Im shocked that they haven't promoted him yet. Iowa's rotation is in flux right now

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
He has had a strong bounce back season. Im shocked that they haven't promoted him yet. Iowa's rotation is in flux right now

Still a bit early for in season promotions. They usually do them during the minor league all star break which is late june if I recall