Close
Page 53 of 77 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,145 to 1,166 of 1691

Chesny Young, 3b, Cubs. A 14th-round pick out of Mercer in 2014, the Cubs feel like they got a steal in the righthanded hitter. He’s playing for Escogido in the Dominican Republic and on Friday had two hits and two RBIs in a 4-3 loss to Licey. Young is off to a fast start in the D.R., going 8-for-18 in five games. Young, a .314 hitter through 1,160 pro at-bats, has “elite bat-to-ball skills,” according to Cubs president Theo Epstein, and controls the strike zone. He’s an average runner and average defender, primarily playing second base.
    Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...veBYpt3u0As.99

2. A message from our sponsors.

Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beckdawg For This Useful Post:

You know I've driven the Chesney Young bandwagon forever and he wouldn't surprise me if hes a utility guy come 2018. Prrobaly headed to Iowa for 2017. Like a righty LaStella with slightly better speed.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

• Corey Black, RHP, Cubs' No. 27 -- Control problems plagued Black once again in 2016 as he issued 36 free passes against 62 strikeouts in 53 innings (48 appearances) between Double-A Tennessee and Triple-A Iowa. The Cubs were hopeful that Black might get back on track this offseason in Puerto Rico, and, so far, the 25-year-old right-hander has done just that, posting a 0.45 ERA with a league-leading 12 saves in 20 innings (19 appearances) for Cangrejeros de Santurce.

• Chesny Young, 2B/3B, Cubs' No. 28 -- Young has done nothing but hit to begin his career, winning the Carolina League batting title (.321 average) in 2015 and then hitting .303 this past season in his first taste of Double-A. Unsurprisingly, Young is currently raking in the Dominican, where he's opened his offseason with a 10-game hitting streak and a .457/.537/.486 slash line for Leones del Escogido.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The question is does Chesny Young make Happ very tradeable or does Happ make Young very tradeable?

I really like holding onto these high contact rate guys like Young.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Hochbaum View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The question is does Chesny Young make Happ very tradeable or does Happ make Young very tradeable?

Hard to say. All things equal they pick the one that fits better in the line up.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Hochbaum View Post

Don't think Young really changes the math on Happ. Young is still a fringe starter on a playoff team and is better off the bench. Plus ya know there's still Baez.

Weak arm. Light bat. Strong bat. Strong OBA.

He played like 6 positions so far. He has sub written all over him.

Happ has more power. Strong arm. Not too fluid of a defender.

Seems both could lead off. But there is a reason why 1 is the top prospect vs the 28th.

Chesney Young is probably your starting 2B at Iowa and a guy who's potentially a September call-up if you want him because he has some if not great speed and good ability to make contact so he profiles as a great guy off the bench. He doesn't have a good glove (more just fair) and does have some flexibility so Iowa makes some sense.

Long term though, he's no where near Happ in terms of future bat. Happ projects as a high value, switch hitting, with decent power 2B and slight SB potential. Could totally see the 2019 lineup being something like

Happ / Russell / Rizzo / Bryant / Schwarber / Jimenez / Contreras / Almora

Random stats of "the next IFA wave" from the cubs most recent splurge

Non-stateside

OF - Jonathan Sierra - Hit .264/.384/.341 in DSL with 14.1%/18.3% bb/k rates and also stole 12 bases in 263 PAs

Scouts compare him to Darryl Strawberry. Scouting on him prior to signing was below average defender but apparently scouts view him as a RF in the future. Power's not there yet with a .077 ISO. And keep in mind he was only 17 so while he's 6'3 he's only like 190 lbs right now. He's a lefty and wth that pretty impressive walk rate could move quickly. Not entirely sure what the super low minor OF depth is right now but he might have a shot to start in A ball. Of the top of my head, DJ Wilson and Kevonte Mitchel are both likely to be in A ball which might leave them with a shot for a LF. Cubs gave him $2.5 mil.

SS - Aramis Ademan - Hit .254/.366/.311 with 13.7%/11.3% bb/k rates and also stole 17 bases in 248 PAs.

Ademan was supposed to be the best defensive SS in the 2015 class. His .057 ISO shows there's not much power there and there probably isn't going to be more than average. But the fact he held his own in terms of average and OBP was a positive sign for a guy known for his glove. Cubs gave him $2 mil.

SS - Yonathan Perlaza - hit .256/.311/.386 with 7.3%/20.4% and also stole 17 bases in 245 PAs

Scouts compared him to a teenage Martin Prado. He's not the defender Ademan is but there is some hope he sticks at SS apparently. Unlike the first two, he's shown some decent power with a .130 ISO. Cubs gave him $1 mil.

C - Miguel Amaya - hit .245/.344/.322 with 8.7%/11.2% bb/k rates and also stole 9 bases in 242 PAs.

Amaya is sort of similar to Ademan in that when he was signed he was viewed as a glove first C. Of the guys who aren't stateside I personally think he is the most interesting because there's been some reports that his defense is possibly top 3 among all C prospects long term(see: source). Like the rest he didn't hit for much power(.077 ISO) but like Ademan the fact he's holding his own is a big deal. There's just not many good C prospects. Cubs signed him for $1 mil

C - Henderson Perez - hit .226/.320/.284 with 10.1%/25.3% bb/k rates and stole 9 bases in 178 PAs.

I don't have much info on Perez. The guys above were more of the cream according to the typical scouting type places. That being said, money is general a good indicator of potential and Perez got $1.25 mil.

SS - Christopher Morel - didn't play near as I can tell but signed for $800k

RHP - Yunior Perez - 4.13/3.36 ERA/FIP with a 6.67 k/9 and a 2.54 bb/9
    Perez signed for $600k. And while I previously mentioned money being a good indicator of talent, it's worth noting that IFA pitchers usually don't get a ton because they are very difficult to project. The top non-cuban pitcher in terms of signing bonus I believe was Jose Albertos(see below) who got $1.5 mil. I believe the #2 behind him was Alvaro Seijas who the cards gave $762,500 to. He apparently can throw 94 but doesn't have much else right now. He also has a good frame(6'4 190 lbs). So there's a lot of projection left.

LHP - Brailyn Marquez - 1.48/3.18 ERA/FIP with a 7.90/3.79 k/9 bb/9
    Like Perez signed for $600k and like Perez has a decent frame(6-4/185). Little I dug up on him suggest he doesn't throw quite as hard and is more in the low 90's.

CF - Jose Gutierrez - .241/.291/.372 with 6.0%/15.1% and 12 SB.
    Signed for $550k. Don't have much other info

2B - Luis Diaz - .247/.330/.309 with 8.1%/22.7% and 23 SB
    Signed for $300k. Looks to have pretty good speed and hit decent enough.

C - Herson Perez - .213/.315/.277 with a 12.0%/21.3% and 9 SB
    Signed for $250k

LHP - Faustino Carrera - 1.06/2.53 ERA/FIP 6.48/2.24 k/9 bb/9
    Signed for $250k. On the smaller side(5-10/165) which may end up making him a reliever.

2B/3B - Orian Nunez - .278/.344/.394 with 9.3%/8.0% and 12 SB
    Signed for $100k. Not much info on him but some what respectable numbers.

OF - Abraham Rodriguez - .255/.289/.355 with 4.2%/10.5% and 12 SB
    Signed for $100k

Stateside

CF/RF - Eddy Martinez - At A ball not mesa mind you hit .254/.331/.380 with 9.7%/21.9% and 8 SB
    Martinez is already in the cubs top 30 so I wont go on too much about him. He signed for $3 mil making him the highest paid guy and he was generally considered the highest rated. Those numbers don't look amazing but I believe he also basically had sat out an entire year from defecting and probably was a bit rusty. He also hit .266/.348/.379 vs RHP though LHP ate him up at .226/.288/.383. Also from may-july he was quite good hitting .280/.370/.433. I mentioned the rust in April(.235/.270/.353) but he also fell off hard in August(.217/.280/.293). It's possible he might have just been worn out by the end of the season. He played 126 games which his previous high in cuba was 40.

SP - Jose Albertos

Albertos has already popped up on some top 30 lists. Pretty advanced mexican pitcher who's a bit maxed out physically but who can throw upper 90's. Cubs shut him down before he had much action but unlike the first two he was in Mesa already.

SS - Isaac Paredes - hit .305/.359/.443 with a 7.0%/10.8% bb/k rate in Mesa and earned a 13 PA promotion to South Bend.

Paredes is apparently a bigger bodied guy who may be pushed to 3B but looks a bit like under valued find. Cubs signed him for $800k and making it to A ball before you turn 18 is seriously impressive. With an ISO of .138 in Mesa he's shown decent power so even if he does get pushed to 3B he's likely to be ok there. Like Torres this year he probably starts in A ball a 18. I'm not sure he'll reach quite the same prospect status Torres has so quickly but he's probably one to keep an eye on.

OF - Kwang-Min Kwon - hit .267/.353/.333 with 8.8%/29.4% though it was only over 34 PAs in mesa.

Signed for $1 mil. Won the Mesa HR derby but didn't play much this year.

C - Kevin Zamudio - hit .237/.291/.421 with 6.1%/29.1%

Signed for $150k. Apparently has decent power projection

RHP - Javier Assad - 2.87/3.59 ERA/FIP with a 10.04/3.11 k/9 and bb/9

Signed for $150k. Apparently throws 90-93. Some what decent size at 6-1/200. With that sort of k/bb ratio he's probably worth keeping an eye on. Any time you're hitting 10 k/9 it's worth watching especially considering 3 bb/9 while not amazing isn't terrible. Often you'll see high k rate pitchers have 4-5 bb/9 walk rates and still be considered top prospects at 10 k/9.

To follow the previous post up, the names worth knowing right now are mainly Sierra, Ademan, Perlaza, Amaya on the guys who were in DSL. I'd put maybe's on Yunior Perez and Brailyn Marquez given their size and the decent amount of money they got. Henderson Perez is also probably a maybe but from what I gather he's likely more of just a pure defensive C rather than a bat and defense.

From the state side guys, Albertos and Martinez are obvious as mlb.com already has them as top 30 guys. Paredes will be interesting to see how BA/BP/mlb.com rate him. I could see him breaking the back end of the top 30 once they rerate. Assad could be a bit like Jose Paulino who has started to pop up on the radar. The other two I think need to hit before they are seriously worth talking about though Kwon is supposed to have a decent bat.

Also to give you some sort of idea where these guys theoretically rate, it's doubtful any are going to be as quickly rated highly as Torres/Jiminez. Those two were literally the #1 and #2 guys in that class. The 2015 class was a bit odd given how many cubans suddenly popped up but the guys from the cubs were #5(Martinez), #17(Perlaza), #20(Sierra), #23(Ademan) and #28(Amaya). In a normal class, Martinez might be similar to Torres/Jiminez. To put that into perspective, the 2013 class had Wladimir Galindo as the #25 guy. He's crushed in he minors(.272/.353/.469 over 608 minor league PAs) but most don't yet have him in the cubs top 30 though i wouldn't surprise me to see him show up there once they rerate.

BA put out it's top ten as well as some other prospect chat stuff

Top 10 in order
    Eloy Jimenez, OF
    Ian Happ, 2B/OF
    Albert Almora Jr., OF
    Dylan Cease, RHP
    Oscar de la Cruz, RHP
    Mark Zagunis, OF
    Jeimer Candelario, 3B
    Trevor Clifton, RHP
    D.J. Wilson, OF
    Jose Albertos, RHP

One of the intereesting things in the chat was someone asked John Manuel if Jimenez compared to Matt Holiday and he said he really liked that comparison. There was prvious mention in the chat that some had compared him to Stanton but that he hit better with less power so it wasn't a great comp. Another interesting thing was they apparently had Jiminez as having higher top end than Torres but more risk(65-high for Jiminez 60-medium for Torres).

More info here http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/0...s-a-deep-dive/

Is Almora still in prospect status?

I would be tempted to bump DJ up to 6. His skill set could put him into a eliete lead off role. Solid D with ++ speed. A strong season it would become a forgone conclusion.

The 3 ahead of him are good roster fillers on a major league roster but you are not seeing any with headliner talent.

Underwood is another I'm a little shocked they cast aside. He is another with the talent to be a head liner vs fill in type.

Pretty questionable rankings.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reading this makes a White Sox fan want to slit their wrists. such an embarrassment of riches.

Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post
    Is Almora still in prospect status?
    I think you have to have like 200 PAs before you count as no longer a "prospect." Though, I think there's no universal cut off point.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by beckdawg View Post
    I think you have to have like 200 PAs before you count as no longer a "prospect." Though, I think there's no universal cut off point.
    I lean toward losing your Rookie Eligibility as losing your prospect status
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

I would be tempted to bump DJ up to 6. His skill set could put him into a eliete lead off role. Solid D with ++ speed. A strong season it would become a forgone conclusion.

The 3 ahead of him are good roster fillers on a major league roster but you are not seeing any with headliner talent.

Underwood is another I'm a little shocked they cast aside. He is another with the talent to be a head liner vs fill in type.

Pretty questionable rankings.
    Underwood has to show some consistent health. He definitely has upside and his stuff is good but injuries and inconsistencies have been his enemy. It will be interesting to see if he stays in the bullpen this year, where he finished last year, or if they give him an opportunity to start again. At this point most indications is that he would be a bullpen piece in MLB but he still could change that.

Quote Originally Posted by TC in Mississippi View Post
    Underwood has to show some consistent health. He definitely has upside and his stuff is good but injuries and inconsistencies have been his enemy. It will be interesting to see if he stays in the bullpen this year, where he finished last year, or if they give him an opportunity to start again. At this point most indications is that he would be a bullpen piece in MLB but he still could change that.
    Same thing happened to Edwards and Johnson. Edward's size prevents him becoming a starter. Underwood would have no issues like that.

I believe they should let him take his lumps as a starter. All of the starters that have at AAA-AA are MOR at best.

Same thing happened to Edwards and Johnson. Edward's size prevents him becoming a starter. Underwood would have no issues like that.

I believe they should let him take his lumps as a starter. All of the starters that have at AAA-AA are MOR at best.
    Edwards had dynamic stuff but failed to stay healthy where as Underwood is all hype with limited production that hasn't been nearly as good. I mean, he's well behind the Cubs top arms in terms of potential (Cease, de la Cruz, and Clifton all have higher ceilings). I mean, the AAA arms to me are all future mop up/fifth starter types where the future top arms are A level.

https://wayniacnation.com/2017/01/14...rospect-watch/

TREVOR CLIFTON, RHP Chicago Cubs

Clifton is one of the best arms in the Cubs farm system. While many thought that 2016 would see Dylan Cease, Pierce Johnson or even Duane Underwood make the biggest jump in the system, you can easily argue that Clifton stole the show.

The now-21 year old righty was the second pick in the 12th round of the 2013 MLB Draft. He came out of high school in Tennessee with two pitches — a mid-90s fastball and what many felt was a plus-curve in waiting — and a decent frame standing at six-foot-one and 170 pounds. The problem was he struggled with his command.

Clifton debuted to an unforgettable 6.97 ERA and a 15-to-8 strikeout-to-walk ratio in the Arizona League. Sure, he was merely 18, having never pitched against professional competition, but it was far from the expectations the Cubs had of him. They worked hard with him on improving mechanics that offseason.

The results have been staggering.

In each of the three past seasons, Clifton has seen his walk rate steadily decline (4.43 in 2014, 3.89 in ’15, and a career-best 3.10 last year) as his strikeout rate has risen each season (7.97 in 2014, 8.53 in ‘15, and also a career-best 9.76 last year.) It should come as no surprise that he has become harder to score upon, seeing his FIP drop tremendously from 4.31 in his 2014 campaign to a very impressive 3.05 last season.

Last season at his highest level of ball, he was outstanding for Myrtle Beach. He finished the season 7-7 with a Carolina League best 2.72 ERA over 23 starts, striking out 129 and walking 41 in 119 innings pitched. Most impressively was how he bounced back from a July rough patch. While it looked as if Clifton was hitting some fatigue in July posting an ugly 5.48 ERA and 1.39 WHIP over five midsummer starts, he hurled his best month of baseball in August.

Clifton made five starts in August, going at least six innings in each one of them. He finished out a strong season, going 2-0 with a 0.85 ERA and 0.76 WHIP over 31.2 August innings, striking out 34 and walking five. “Under the radar” no more, not only was Clifton the Cubs’ Pitcher of the Year, he earned the Carolina League Pitcher of the Year honors.

Then, of course, came the playoffs. If Clifton’s August was considered strong, then his first full-season playoffs were off the charts. He made two starts for the Pelicans, going 12 innings — including six shutout in his final performance of the season — striking out eleven and walking just one while allowing one run to score. His two postseason starts closed out the 2016 season for Clifton with ten consecutive quality starts. For the Pelicans, Clifton’s strong postseason led to their second consecutive Carolina League title.

Clifton should start the season with somewhat of a homecoming, pitching for the Double-A Tennessee Smokies. He’s grown into his teenage frame and is now an intimidating presence on the mound, standing close to six-foot-four and 220, and has really harnessed his fastball and strong secondary offerings (the aforementioned curve and deceiving changeup). While there’s no reason to expect to see Clifton in the bigs in 2017, his annual progression has certainly boosted him as a prime prospect to watch this coming season.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTown View Post
    Edwards had dynamic stuff but failed to stay healthy where as Underwood is all hype with limited production that hasn't been nearly as good. I mean, he's well behind the Cubs top arms in terms of potential (Cease, de la Cruz, and Clifton all have higher ceilings). I mean, the AAA arms to me are all future mop up/fifth starter types where the future top arms are A level.
    Clifton is looking the TOR part now. With out that July blip he could have been the top arm in the system.

The thing that is going for him over Cease is his size. Cease is listed nearer to Edwards's size. Clifton has matured to the size that you see out of starters that go 200 innings on a regular basis.

So if if you like playing a safe bet go with Clifton to make it as a starter.

Clifton is looking the TOR part now.
    Most scouting I've seen suggests he's still only a #3/4 starter.

25. A message from our sponsors.
    Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.

Do you want to advertise with ChiCitySports?
    Ranked #1 Chicagoland sports news and message board online.
    A great opportunity for advertising and exposure, with an active base of fresh consumers always looking for sports-related items and miscellaneous "guy stuff".
    Please go here if you are interested in a multitude of placements on this site.
Page 53 of 77 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast