Jeremy Morin is requesting a trade.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I doubt Tallon want him...he's not one of Tallon's guys. He came to Hawks as part of the purge after the 2010 Cup. I think Buff and Sopel were part of that deal. Hawks got fleeced on that one but with what went down, you knew they would on some of those deals.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The other thing is that money thing. There is no money in it for guys who don't get to play. Guys start at 4-5 years old dreaming of playing in the NHL and when you are right on the brink and it doesn't happen it is frustrating. Wanting a trade is a natural thing for these kind of players.

Variable

Liked Posts:
That was almost the entire point I was trying to make. It's not everyday you're on a team that has a 1/4 chance to win the title almost every year. practice hard and when you get ice time make the most of it like last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has to look at making a career out of playing in the NHL. And you need playing time in order to establish yourself as a NHL player. The same thing was going on last year, before the Versteeg trade, Q was playing Brookbank at forward over playing Morin at all. So what did "making the most of it like last year" get besides getting benched for Sheldon Brookbank to play at forward (the same guy who couldn't make the Calgary Flames this offseason)? I don't care how rough around the edges Morin might be, that was a horrible decision. And Q has shown he'll play Carcillo even top 6 if he really wanted to, so you knew no matter what he would be dressing over Morin more often than not when he got signed going into the season.

If I were Morin I'd want the same thing, it's the same thing Pirri wanted, the same thing Kevin Hayes wanted, a chance to play. The team they're on and their chances of winning a Cup or not doesn't really factor in. They have to look out for themselves. They are all at the points of their hockey career where they HAVE to get consistent playing time in order to either prove they belong or not. Problem is that you can't do much with a bit over 7 minutes of ice time when you do actually see the ice as is the case with Morin this season.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not that impressed with Morin, and usually I would say fuck you to one of these comments, but I think Morin really deserves better than he has gotten.

The brookbank thing layed out above spells it out, Q will play anybody over Morin. We play scrubs occasionally on the 4th line and he still sits.

Front office might value him more than Q and thats it.

Hayes is the casualty of this that sucks. I imagine guys like Hayes talk to guys like Morin, and the general attitude in Rockford is probably one of frustration and excuses for ego's explaining why they don't get called up. Its something you need to churn out of your system, take a look at as many guys closely as you can and then just churn the rest, keep the gems if you can but don't sweat it, your ahead of the game.

I don't understand why Morin is still here. He got a look late last year, he did well....make a spot for him or move him. ?? Didn't want a spot for him? Why didn't you move him? You did want a spot for him? Why isn't he playing?

Variable

Liked Posts:
Yeah those guys talk about it. That whole #freemorin thing was started, or at least participated in, by Pirri after he got to Florida. Guys like him were in a tough position. Same position Hayes would've been in if he had signed here. Now he's played in almost every single game for the Rangers and gotten over 12 minutes of ice time a game en route to starting his career in the NHL, establishing himself as a viable player. Same with Pirri, same with Kevin's brother Jimmy. Those guys would've been in Rockford here or on the bench where Morin is. Two spots which do them absolutely no good at this point in their careers. That's why he wants out. The Hawks' chances at winning the Cup don't even factor into it. Some fans take these sort of things so personally, you have to look at it from the player's POV.

The bitch of it is, for Morin anyway, his contract /cap hit is very low especially looking at the potential cap crunch next season the Hawks could be in for. So if I were the Hawks, I wouldn't trade him. At least not until next season when you got a better idea of what's going on with the cap, what players you could be losing,etc. You wouldn't get much anyway.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah I would tell Morin to stfu and wait.... I mean cmon you are on a team headed for another Stanley Cup run....a couple injuries and you could be back on the ice for that.

When Q gives you ice time, play better, otherwise stfu and sit.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but as proven this year on the team, he has not wrested a spot away from anyone (not even Nordstrom), and as such, he can't go to Rockford without waivers, and will be schelpping for Edzo's soft serve if he stays up.

On a bottom-15 team, he could probably be a 2nd or 3rd liner, rather than a 13th or 14th FWD with Chicago. At 23 prospects are already overtaking himon our squad, so his mindset may be, "cup be damned, I'll be making league minimum unless I can get out there with some icetime without as much competition for a slot and at least be paid like a 3rd liner". Not that I agree with it, but he might want icetime on a loser than limited icetime on a winner.

Variable

Liked Posts:
Why wouldn't you agree with it though? You're talking about potentially killing your career in the NHL at age 23 if a trade doesn't happen just to be on (read: sit in the press box watching) a team that might win the Cup this year?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Why wouldn't you agree with it though? You're talking about potentially killing your career in the NHL at age 23 if a trade doesn't happen just to be on (read: sit in the press box watching) a team that might win the Cup this year?

That's just it, though. I don't think Morin just wants to be in the NHL. He wants to play, and he's not getting that opportunity in Chicago.

Whether you think that is his fault or not, the fact remains that he isn't getting much ice time in Chicago so asking for a change of scenery is not a surprise at all.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I mean I don't necessarly agree with Morin's mindset--at least what I assume his mindset is asking for a trade.

On one hand if he's pressboxed the entire year, he's basically the 14th fwd. Nordstrom will likley get a shot ahead of him as well as any other waiver-exempt prospect. When he does get called up it's likley 3rd or 4th line minutes simply because everyone else on the 'hawks has shown better than he has even in bottom-6 roles. Even as poised as this team is to win the cup there's no guarentee that he will get his name on it--petition or otherwise. The payout could be next season if the 'hawks void themselves of enough wingers to give Morin a slot without being leapfrogged, and honestly with our farm he could very well be leapfrogged even after the minipurge.

Conversely, if he does get moved it can likley free up another call-up slot for the 'hawks, meanwhile he has a chance to actually stick somewhere even if it is is on a bottom-feeder.

I think it's all in what Morin himself wants--be a fringe part of a powerhouse or a solid part of an also-ran. I personally would go with the powerhouse unless I 100% knew my chances of ever making the lineup were slim, but I'm not Morin.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can see where he's coming from but please....he jumps in front of a mike pleading to be dealt when the front office has probably been trying to do exactly that for weeks. Just comes across as a player that comes up a bit short in the brains department.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
I can see where he's coming from but please....he jumps in front of a mike pleading to be dealt when the front office has probably been trying to do exactly that for weeks. Just comes across as a player that comes up a bit short in the brains department.

I don't think Morin has publicly stated his desire to be traded - atleast not the articles that I have read. These came from "sources". Could a source be his agent? Sure, but no one will ever know. In fact, Morin was asked about it today and basically shrugged it off and said he was just trying to improve and focus on his game. I wouldn't put this on Morin...not one bit.

Variable

Liked Posts:
That's just it, though. I don't think Morin just wants to be in the NHL. He wants to play, and he's not getting that opportunity in Chicago.

Whether you think that is his fault or not, the fact remains that he isn't getting much ice time in Chicago so asking for a change of scenery is not a surprise at all.

No I agree with you, I dont think he's content with just "being here", he wants to play. He needs to play in order to establish himself at this level. Maybe I wasn't clear in that post. I think it's dumb to just be content with being here in the press box simply because the team he's a part of is a Cup contender. That's fine if you're a vet that's been in the league for years and years and you're chasing the Cup, I understand that. But for a player trying to get his career started in the NHL, it's not a good position to be in. That's asking to find yourself washed out of the NHL and becoming a career AHLer or playing in Euro leagues.

And I don't necessarily believe that because he's being played those limited minutes when he does play that that means certain other players are playing better than him or are better options than him in being dressed instead of him. We're talking about Q here. I mean, again, Q was playing Sheldon Brookbank at forward last year over him. Brandon Fucking Bollig was being played over him. Those two should never have been played over Morin. Q has shown consistently he's not the best judge in choosing the best players to dress and use in different situations, and not just in this case with Morin. There's more than enough other examples of that.

So I don't really take anything away from him not being played because Q believes he isn't playing "the right way".

Variable

Liked Posts:

When has he done that again?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Then again, maybe he is being smart. It all depends on how it works out.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When has he done that again?

Once isn't enough?

If it was his agent....so what? Who hired him?

He's a borderline obscure NHL forward....if he wasn't he'd be playing.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Once isn't enough?

You are absolutely correct.

You will understand Variable's schtick before long. Just wait until one of the Blackhawks gets into a fight.

Variable

Liked Posts:
Once isn't enough?

No I'm asking when has he done that? An agent's job is to have his player's best interest in mind.

4SidedDie

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Surely if there are trades by the trade deadline (which there most likely will be with the salary cap potentially not going up) he should definitely get a chance to play. Then again, he could be one to get traded at this point haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I don't blame Morin one bit. At the end of the day, these guys have a short amount of time to make their living. This is very similar to the K Hayes situation where it isn't so much about their current contract, but setting themselves up for the next contract. Morin isn't going to set himself up for his next contract by sitting on the bench (where, on the Blackhawks, is exactly where he belongs for the most part with his play). Can't blame the guy for wanting to play and for wanting to better himself, his family/future family, etc. Morin has been given plenty of chances over the years (especially this year where he would have to go through waivers) but his inconsistent play isn't going to fly with Q behind the bench.

If he was a free agent this year.. I'd feel more sorry for him over how the Hawks can utilize him as an asset. But he signed a 2 year cheap deal, and cheap next year is exactly what the Hawks need to have on the roster. Even if Morin wants out and Q doesn't intend to play him unless some certain injuries that don't get replaced by the Rockford types occurs, Morin still has value as being a cheap deal for next year. If the cap doesn't go up significantly, somebody out of the Bickell, Sharp, Seabs, or Steeger might have to be traded for cap-relief. That's Depending on if they short term or long term sign Saad. So keeping a guy who may not be favored on the team but is still cheap and has some NHL experience is better than having to load the team with multiple rookies.

Variable

Liked Posts:
And that's true, like what I said, I wouldn't trade him if I were the Hawks. That sucks for Morin though. But for him to get criticism for feeling the way he does is baffling to me. There's no solace for him and his potential career that the Hawks are a Cup contending team.