Live 10 vs. NBA 2K10

Kush77

Liked Posts:
So I've now had the chance to play both games and I have to give the nod to NBA 2K10. Live had some gameplay issues that were bugging me big time, but it's still a solid game. Live has come a long way from where it was in 06.

When I popped in NBA 2K10 today I was prompted to do an update. this might have been one of the patches to fix the issues people were having with framerate. I didn't have any issues. The game ran smoothly.

The things that drove me nuts with Live were, driving into the paint and just losing the ball. This drove me insane.
Player movements to extreme. One example, I was controlling Hinrich at the three point line and all I wanted to do was get a pick, step around and take an open three. So Noah sets the pick and I press the analog stick to the right and all I want to do is take a quick step and shoot. But the movement is so extreme I end up taking a fadeaway three. It's almost like you press the stick to move and your guy is going to automatically take three steps. I still love the Live pick and roll system.

And with Live it seems like getting to the basket for a layup is pretty damn hard. When it seems like you have a step on a guy and you think you'll go up for a layup, you end up get body blocked by a defender and your player takes a bad 8 foot shot. On 2K, when you have a step on a guy, your player goes up for a layup.

The last thing that bugged me with Live was on the inbounds pass. Not being able to control the guy on the inbounds. It just automatically inbounds the ball, that was driving me crazy. I don't remember it being like that last year. But then again all I played last year was 5 vs 5 online, I didn't get into season mode.

2K has the defensive stance button, which Live doesn't have. It makes it easier to D up your man. I haven't tried the My Player mode. I'm thinking about downloading the Draft Combine so I can import the player.

One thing that was cool about 2K10 was that guys uploaded a 2010 draft class to the 2K Share. Then you can upload the file to your Association mode.

Overall I think 2K is better but Live is a decent game. Live has some cool modes like Dynamic Season which could be interesting. But NBA 2K is gonna get the majority of my time this year.

RC_Skinny22

Sharpshooter
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don´t know 2K10 but I´ve been playing Live 10 a lot in the last days so I will say and explain something to your statements.

Kush77 wrote:
The things that drove me nuts with Live were, driving into the paint and just losing the ball. This drove me insane.

Right when you drive into the zone and you switch your direction your player sometimes makes a spin move which ends up loosing the ball. If you want to do a spin move turn the right stick up and your player will make a controlled spin move in which he protects the ball. After a couple of game you get used to it and it doen´t happen again that much.

Just going into the zone doen´t work anymore. You always have to do something with the right stick. The only thing I have problems with is beating my man in a 1vs1 fastbreak. I don´t know why but he stops me everytime and I have to built up a new offensive play.

Kush77 wrote:
Player movements to extreme. One example, I was controlling Hinrich at the three point line and all I wanted to do was get a pick, step around and take an open three. So Noah sets the pick and I press the analog stick to the right and all I want to do is take a quick step and shoot. But the movement is so extreme I end up taking a fadeaway three. It's almost like you press the stick to move and your guy is going to automatically take three steps. I still love the Live pick and roll system.

Don´t press the R2 button while shooting. The R2 button is so to say your shot modifikator. It´s the same with making a dunk when you press it or making a layup when not. When you don´t press R2 in your case, your player will stop and take a normal shot. In the area of the zone it´s a nice way to score with the fadeaway.

Kush77 wrote:
And with Live it seems like getting to the basket for a layup is pretty damn hard. When it seems like you have a step on a guy and you think you'll go up for a layup, you end up get body blocked by a defender and your player takes a bad 8 foot shot. On 2K, when you have a step on a guy, your player goes up for a layup.

I don´t know really what you mean with your last part but you are right. Some players have problems to make a layup. I don´t know if it is because of the Boston series but Hinrich seems to be unable to make a contested layup.

I think what you mean with your last part is when you get an offensive rebound and try to score your player doesn´t make a normal layup. Instead of that he turns around and takes a hookshot which normally doesn´t go in. I have the same problem but there must be a trick I don´t get because online the other players don´t do this stupid hookshot.

Kush77 wrote:
The last thing that bugged me with Live was on the inbounds pass. Not being able to control the guy on the inbounds. It just automatically inbounds the ball, that was driving me crazy. I don't remember it being like that last year. But then again all I played last year was 5 vs 5 online, I didn't get into season mode.

When the other team scores a basket and you press the X button quickly your inbounder will hurry up and give the ball automatic to your PG. When you don´t do it there will come up the symbols for the buttons you have to press to pass the ball to that player above their heads. So above your PG you will see the symbol for the X button, above the head you will see the symbol for the circle button, etc. But don´t make a inbound pass over half court. The other player is somehow unable to catch the ball and it will fly into the crowd.

Oh yeah and in a 5on5 online game your teammates can make the pass for you. So when you are the inbounder and I am the PG and decide to take the ball and start a fastbreak I can press the X button to make you pass the ball to me. But this is the only case where it works this way. The PG is calling the outlet pass.

Kush77 wrote:
2K has the defensive stance button, which Live doesn't have. It makes it easier to D up your man.

Try to press the R1 button, it´s for defensive support. Your player moves in front of his opponent and goes with him when he moves.

I only know the demo of 2K9 but I think that you have more control about what your player does in NBA Live. It is a little hard to get used to it but when you play a couple of days and you know all movements you´ll see the game from a new side.

Kush77 wrote:
But NBA 2K is gonna get the majority of my time this year.

I still hope we can play some Live games :)

Kush77

Liked Posts:
I played another game of Live today and it didn't do the automatic inbounds pass thing I was complaining about. It was doign that in my season game, but when I did an exhibition game today it didn't do it.I still don't like how you can't control another guy for an inbounds. I don't like to always throw it to my PG. This is more of a problem if you play someone online and they are one of those people that try to steal the inbounds on every play.

I did experience the framerate issue for the first time. I was playing at Boston and it happened on the right side of the court while in the paint. It happened pretty frequently. There was an update for NBA 2K10 yesterday but I guess it didn't fix it completely.

This was also the first time I played both games back-to-back, and I have to say Live looks better graphically.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Kush Im going to buy one of these tomorrow so which would should I get?

Kush77

Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
Kush Im going to buy one of these tomorrow so which would should I get?

I would say NBA 2K10. I think both games are good, they both have their flaws.

But I'm sure 2K will get the framerate issue taken care of, when they do 2K10 gets my pick for NBa game this year. But if your a Live player, you got a good game too.

I started a season in NBA 2K on all-star, the third highest level, and I beat the Spurs by 10. I had my way with Derrick Rose and I was worried that it might be too easy. But then I played Boston and lost by 40. The Celtics couldn't miss. I hate to see what they'd do to me on Superstar level.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
I have to pick up the copy for PS2 tomorrow since my 360 is getting repaired as we speak and I can't wait anymore just to play an actual videogame(been good 5 months).

engies

Liked Posts:
2k10 patch will be out in a month or so probably to fix not only the framerate, but the dozens of issues in the game with both bugs and gameplay

until then because of the ease to get into the lane, its a broken game. Gamespot even rated it 7 out of 10 and live got a 7.5. makes me wanna try live. 2k better fix the problems in the patch otherwise next year i may just turn to live. After all, at least there ratings system reflects real life instead of having some douche make his own ratings on players when he has no clue on basketball, to the point that in association mode Ben Wallace still wins DPOTY

Kush77

Liked Posts:
engies wrote:
2k10 patch will be out in a month or so probably to fix not only the framerate, but the dozens of issues in the game with both bugs and gameplay

until then because of the ease to get into the lane, its a broken game. Gamespot even rated it 7 out of 10 and live got a 7.5. makes me wanna try live. 2k better fix the problems in the patch otherwise next year i may just turn to live. After all, at least there ratings system reflects real life instead of having some douche make his own ratings on players when he has no clue on basketball, to the point that in association mode Ben Wallace still wins DPOTY

Ben Wallace wins DPOTY, that is bad, really bad.

I've been able to get into the lane easier on 2K10, so I'm gonna turn it up to Superstar level. It like it's too easy on 2K but too hard on Live. On 2K I destroy with Derrick Rose, can't do anything with him on Live. But other guys like Deng or Salmons, it's hard to get in the lane for layups.

The framrate thing is a pain, that has to get fixed asap.

I played three games, beat S.A. by 10, lost to Boston by 40 and beat Miami by 19. I'm gonna turn it up to superstar and see what happens.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Kush77 wrote:
engies wrote:

I've been able to get into the lane easier on 2K10, so I'm gonna turn it up to Superstar level. It like it's too easy on 2K but too hard on Live. On 2K I destroy with Derrick Rose, can't do anything with him on Live. But other guys like Deng or Salmons, it's hard to get in the lane for layups.

I played three games, beat S.A. by 10, lost to Boston by 40 and beat Miami by 19. I'm gonna turn it up to superstar and see what happens.

With Rose its really easy to score with until they start double teaming him and trapping him. For Deng the key is to use the pump fake as alot of times they bite on it. Salmons is the problem though. The best option I find is just having him take the three where there playing the drive so there playing off him alittle.

engies

Liked Posts:
Kush77 wrote:
engies wrote:

Try some sliders thru 2k share. DevThaHNIC's ones are good i think he's up to version 4 now. Check operationsports forums for other sliders and feedback ppl have given

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Bought 2k10 yesterday, haven't had any of the frame rate problems you guys are talking about but I'm sure it'll crop up. I like the improvement to the fadeaways & leaners in this game. Big plus there. And I don't think the ratings are that bad. Salmons is a 71. I actually think that's a little low for a near 20ppg scorer last year. D Rose is an 80. But anyone can change attributes in either game, so if someone is going to make Ben Wallace a superstar, then they're gonna do it.

I've been playing the My Player mode alot. There are a few things that annoy the hell outta me with that game mode. For starters, it's near impossible to pick a camera angle, that will capture the whole court, since the camera is fixed on your player only. This makes it difficult to follow all action during the game, which affects both defense & offense. Secondly, your teammates are so friggin' bad that they wouldn't know a good pass if it hit them right in the junk. I'm constantly being missed at every open opportunity & when I do call for a pass, I get points taken away! Wtf!? If I had full control of all players in this mode, I would be in a NBA training camp right now! And thirdly, I'm not the biggest fan of the preset ratings for your created player. I would've liked it much better if it was like Madden, where how you performed in the combine affected your players overall ratings, that woulda been cool, instead of my player automatically being a 40 overall & the crappiest player in NBA history.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
The ratings are new this year because there now doing a 25-99 range instead of 50-99 range. Durant and Dirk are both 82 in this game because there not good defensive players. Were in past year Kapano would be a 75 or around there this year he's 59, but still can hit the three. I like that you have to be both a good defensive and offensive player to have that star rating.