CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
9 teams left, including the Bulls. San Antonio is out of the running. Cleveland can still tie.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
And then there were four. Memphis, Atlanta, Portland, and Golden State.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My mind is blown that Atlanta is still on this list. They are beating teams left and right.
Before Thibodeau I really wanted Budenholzer as a coach. I figured San Antonio's long time assistant to Pops would make a great head coach.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I kinda feel like Atlanta is overachieving a bit though. They don't exactly have great star power or a dominating player. I think they have a well-rounded team. They just seem beatable come playoff time.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Before Thibodeau I really wanted Budenholzer as a coach. I figured San Antonio's long time assistant to Pops would make a great head coach.
Anyone in San Antonio's system is probably a good choice. Their scouts too.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I kinda feel like Atlanta is overachieving a bit though. They don't exactly have great star power or a dominating player. I think they have a well-rounded team. They just seem beatable come playoff time.
I guess they're going for the 2004 Detroit Pistons model. They have a very solid starting lineup that has pretty much no glaring hole. Bench seems to be producing enough for them. I can't see them maintaining this level of play, but it's been impressive nonetheless.

czman

Liked Posts:
My mind is blown that Atlanta is still on this list. They are beating teams left and right.

I have been watching a lot of Hawks lately, mainly because of how well they are playing, and are the most intriguing team to me. They have a bunch of shooters. They spread the floor incredibly well. They set screens all over the place. They have a deadly pick and roll/pop with all of the shooters. They have 3 stretch 4/5s and Horford can hit 18' extremely well.

They really are a team that has taken shooting is good; therefore more shooting is better; therefore all shooting best.......

I fully expect them to make noise in the playoffs.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Are you going to break out the champagne when the last team falls, like the 73 Dolphins do?

I was going to post something like this earlier but decided against it. Maybe I'm in the minority but this record watch stuff is really getting tiring every year, much like the team getting together when the last undefeated fall. The 10 losses isn't what made that team great and a better team could eventually have more losses. While it does show they were very good and had the ability to win any game it's pretty arbitrary in my head. It's like comparing two players with the same shooting percentage...

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I guess they're going for the 2004 Detroit Pistons model. They have a very solid starting lineup that has pretty much no glaring hole. Bench seems to be producing enough for them. I can't see them maintaining this level of play, but it's been impressive nonetheless.
Which pretty much says they should lose come playoff team. Their offense is not top notch either. Solid team, but they lack the extra boost to go forward at this point in time.

As need for a reminder the 2004 Pistons benefited from playing in an extremely weak Eastern Confernece (not to say this one isn't weak, but I feel there is more star power in this East than that East). Their competition was Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal, and Jason Kidd in the playoffs. They then play the LA Lakers who were having tons of a chemistry problems.

Liked Posts:
I was going to post something like this earlier but decided against it. Maybe I'm in the minority but this record watch stuff is really getting tiring every year, much like the team getting together when the last undefeated fall. The 10 losses isn't what made that team great and a better team could eventually have more losses. While it does show they were very good and had the ability to win any game it's pretty arbitrary in my head. It's like comparing two players with the same shooting percentage...

I kind of agree in some respects. One, it is a great accomplishment. But you're right, it's kind of the hood ornament on one of the most spectacular Mercedes ever made. Similar with the ring count, I feel that if someone does ever win 73 games, there will be a bunch of media driven noise about that team being the best ever, which would be laughable considering the 90s Bulls likely would have won 9 in a row had the team stayed together 73 wins does eclipse that in any fashion. It's easy to pretend each year is a snap shot but part of repeating is having that target on you after playing deeper into the summer than all other teams for a sustained period of time. So this snapshot stuff is also somewhat erroneous. And sometimes a team or player is what gives a record significance. For a long time Dale Long had the record for most consecutive games with a home run. Why don't people recognize this in the same way they do the 56 game hit streak? Because one guy is Joe DiMaggio and the other is Dale Long! The 72 wins record is similar in that respect. Its significance is its attachment to those Bulls teams. The record wasn't as noteworthy before the 96 Bulls set the record.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Atlanta is to undersized to be a real threat.

Choisauce

Liked Posts:
significance of regular season record only matters if you win the championship

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Are you going to break out the champagne when the last team falls, like the 73 Dolphins do?

Well it was the 72 Dolphins, and no, I'm not. I've thought from the beginning that this thread was stupid. So I am mocking it.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
As good as that Bulls team was, they still needed some luck in the form of health to rack up 72. They also accomplished this under different rules, rules that allowed more physicality.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The 95-96 Bulls weren't all that lucky on health. No season ending injuries, but there were a number of injuries and suspensions(Rodman) throughout the season. IIRC, only 2 players played all 82 games. Jordan and Kerr, and both had stretches where they played hurt. I have to pull out my newspaper collection. I have every post-game Suntimes and Trib sports section from that year. Every time some team starts hot, you begin to see a lot of revisionism about the 72-10 Bulls, and every year I feel like I need to correct it.