Warriors and 72-10

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The 95-96 Bulls weren't all that lucky on health. No season ending injuries, but there were a number of injuries and suspensions(Rodman) throughout the season. IIRC, only 2 players played all 82 games. Jordan and Kerr, and both had stretches where they played hurt. I have to pull out my newspaper collection. I have every post-game Suntimes and Trib sports section from that year. Every time some team starts hot, you begin to see a lot of revisionism about the 72-10 Bulls, and every year I feel like I need to correct it.
You could get a lot of primary info from this:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1996_start.html

40 games they had their primary starting lineup in the regular season..less than half of the season, but its not as bad as that initially looks.

Jordan and Kerr like you said played all 82 games. Kukoc played 81 and Harper played 80. Pippen played 77, so besides Rodman their best players only miss a few games.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
You could get a lot of primary info from this:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1996_start.html

40 games they had their primary starting lineup in the regular season..less than half of the season, but its not as bad as that initially looks.

Jordan and Kerr like you said played all 82 games. Kukoc played 81 and Harper played 80. Pippen played 77, so besides Rodman their best players only miss a few games.

You had a lot more guys playing through injuries. They wanted to break the record, and maybe that's the mentality to why they were able to. Also why Kerr says this Warriors team, even being the current coach and known to talk his mind, doesn't think this Warriors team is close to being as good.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You had a lot more guys playing through injuries. They wanted to break the record, and maybe that's the mentality to why they were able to. Also why Kerr says this Warriors team, even being the current coach and known to talk his mind, doesn't think this Warriors team is close to being as good.
Fair enough. I was 8 years old during that, and like you I was saving every paper (or so I thought)...but over the years I discovered I didn't have every game, so I thinned a lot of that out because I found most of those regular season games pointless to keep. And as a 8 year old who couldnt sit still, I dont recall who was or wasn't injured. I remember Rodman's suspensions as about being the only large absence that season.

As far as the Warriors, they are off to the 10th best start in NBA history and from what I can gather, the best start since the 1997 Bulls.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Fair enough. I was 8 years old during that, and like you I was saving every paper (or so I thought)...but over the years I discovered I didn't have every game, so I thinned a lot of that out because I found most of those regular season games pointless to keep. And as a 8 year old who couldnt sit still, I dont recall who was or wasn't injured. I remember Rodman's suspensions as about being the only large absence that season.

I wonder what happened to kids that used to collect newspapers. I had to purge a lot of the collection as well, but I kept the sports sections. For Sun times, that was fun, because you still have to keep the frontpage folds.

I guess it's not as interesting now, because you would wind up with 100 papers or so for each season, and 80 of them would be hyperbol'ing over something Derrick said. "Oh, and by the way, here is a little footnote on what actually happened in the game".

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Off Rtg: 115.2 (1st of 29) ▪ Def Rtg: 101.8 (1st of 29)

thats what you call elite

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Off Rtg: 115.2 (1st of 29) ▪ Def Rtg: 101.8 (1st of 29)

thats what you call elite
They're the only team in history to accomplish that (though maybe a team in the 50's did when there were only like 12 teams, I didnt go back that far).

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I wonder what happened to kids that used to collect newspapers. I had to purge a lot of the collection as well, but I kept the sports sections. For Sun times, that was fun, because you still have to keep the frontpage folds.

I guess it's not as interesting now, because you would wind up with 100 papers or so for each season, and 80 of them would be hyperbol'ing over something Derrick said. "Oh, and by the way, here is a little footnote on what actually happened in the game".

I ended up tossing mine. I had a ton from 93, as well as the second 3 peat.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
As good as that Bulls team was, they still needed some luck in the form of health to rack up 72. They also accomplished this under different rules, rules that allowed more physicality.

Different rules don't matter. All that matters is which team has the best record, there won't be any asterisks.

Liked Posts:
As good as that Bulls team was, they still needed some luck in the form of health to rack up 72. They also accomplished this under different rules, rules that allowed more physicality.

Quite honestly, the rules worked against them more than it helped them. Yeah, they adapted to the way the game was being called ( that's really more what it was). But the reason the league started playing with physicality was because the NBA tolerated how the Pistons played as a way to try to defend Jordan.could you imagine Jordan in a league with no hand checking? Forget it. Guys always hand checked him but the Pistons relied heavily on, what would now be, flagrant 1st. The Bulls ascent to winning a title was largely about adapting to the style the NBA tolerated.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Atlanta is to undersized to be a real threat.

That is not true. They have a really nice 5, or true center, from overseas, and Horford at the 4. What else do you want? Deep team, Milsap plays bigger than he is. They can play big, or small, and have a deep rotation. Teague continues to improve his game every year, they are legit and should not be underestimated.

Liked Posts:
Bulls doing their part to make sure this doesn't happen.

They'd have to go 36-3 the rest of the way, if I remember correctly. In other words, it's not happen ending.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
That is not true. They have a really nice 5, or true center, from overseas, and Horford at the 4. What else do you want? Deep team, Milsap plays bigger than he is. They can play big, or small, and have a deep rotation. Teague continues to improve his game every year, they are legit and should not be underestimated.

Lol Antic is not shit. I'm assuming that's who you're talking about in the first line. Horford is not 6'10, I could care less what he's listed at. I've seen him play in person and he's more like 6'7...Millsap is more like 6'5. They don't have great depth either. They might be good enough in a weak east to make the conference finals but that's about it. I don't think they could beat Washington, Cleveland, or Chicago in a playoff series.

Liked Posts:
The hawks will eventually burn out, they're not ready for the next level

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Big news guys. The Atlanta Hawks can only tie the 72-10 record. Golden State is still the lone holdout, but they are at 9 losses. Not really much in terms of schedule coming up for them. The next big game for the Warriors is February 20, against the Spurs.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I got my champagne ready.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
im going with 67-15

i think thats a realistic record for them

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
im going with 67-15

i think thats a realistic record for them
Yeah. Probably.

Wait, didnt that Western Confernce team that went 67-15 in 2007 lose in the first round?

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Yeah. Probably.

Wait, didnt that Western Confernce team that went 67-15 in 2007 lose in the first round?

yeah Dallas and ironically it was to the Warriors