Video Game Thread

supraman

Liked Posts:
[quote name="CLWolf81"]
[quote name="supraman"]I have to be honest so far I'm very unimpressed with RDR. I still haven't given up on it, maybe I have to get a bit further in but so far I get bored with it quickly. But on the other hand i couldn't stop playing GTAIV or Vice City, or San Andreas. I wish I could explain why, but I can't I just seem to get bored extremely quick in RDR.[/quote]

You have the option to skip the whole frontier parts, cause the world is LARGE. Just set up your campsite and travel wherever.

I prefer the hunting parts of it. I can make money for my shotguns/new horses/whatever. I even shot a bird today... Just to let you know, you're better off not wasting bullets for the amount of money they give you, unless you're lucky enough to get a Hawk. Hawk feathers are $6 per, and you can get 4 per.[/quote]

I still haven't had the chance and sit there and log a couple hours at once on the game. So really it is just my initial impression. I wish I could remember I felt so bland towards GTAIV when I bought it. Who knows might fall in love with it when i get into the game.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
Picked up RDR yesterday and played for a good hour and a half. Here are my thoughts so far:

-Controls can be a little sticky... although that could just be me getting used to it. I climbed a windmill tower and easily took a dive that killed me because the characters walking was a little clunky.

-Getting a handle on riding the horses can be tricky too, it's not like the cars in GTA where you get in and go... you have to spend a little time figuring it out. Thankfully the first few "missions" are geard towards getting you used to the controls.

-I like the story... probably more than any of the other GTA games. It moves a bit slow, but unlike the other games, I'm actually interested in seeing where it goes.

-Stumbling into situations that require gun-play can be tricky when you're not used to the controls... traveling back home from another town I came across a stagecoach being robbed and in my attempt to help stop it was gunned down pretty easily because I wasn't prepared for it.

-Hunting is really fun. I've already gotten a badge (I think it was a badge) for sharpshooting because taking down the hawks in the sky is so fun. Learning how to hunt on a horse is a must because if you tag the bird from far enough away, you'll have to travel to get it's feathers (and as CLWolf said, you'll need that to get money). So far armadillos are the easiest because they'll just stand there and let you shoot at them (but don't pay shit). Coyotes were the toughest, but mostly because they move around pretty quickly (in the dark).

-Graphics and soundtrack are beautiful and really fit the genre.

I'm really digging it and looking forward to some more time this weekend to do more free-roam stuff - want to experiment with the campsite and hunting larger animals. Haven't tried the multiplayer out yet and if anyone else has a PS3 and would be interested I'm pretty sure my PSN name is Reverend_VJ

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Ymono37"]-Hunting is really fun. I've already gotten a badge (I think it was a badge) for sharpshooting because taking down the hawks in the sky is so fun. Learning how to hunt on a horse is a must because if you tag the bird from far enough away, you'll have to travel to get it's feathers (and as CLWolf said, you'll need that to get money). So far armadillos are the easiest because they'll just stand there and let you shoot at them (but don't pay shit). Coyotes were the toughest, but mostly because they move around pretty quickly (in the dark).[/quote]

You haven't tried a mountain lion yet, have you? They're not easy, either. Horse or no horse. Heck, even when he was chasing after someone else, I still had trouble with a shotgun in my hand.

The difference between them and the coyotes: I've killed plenty of coyotes (mainly in daylight) and I've been killed by mountain lions, three times if I recall. Then again, I was never ready for them, as they can sometimes give the "Wtf" part its role in the game. They come from out of nowhere to pounce on you or the horse, which the cougar can do.

Have you tried the games yet either? They've got Horseshoes, blackjack, poker, etc. Haven't yet cause I'd rather hunt, lol.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
[quote name="CLWolf81"]You haven't tried a mountain lion yet, have you? They're not easy, either. Horse or no horse. Heck, even when he was chasing after someone else, I still had trouble with a shotgun in my hand.

The difference between them and the coyotes: I've killed plenty of coyotes (mainly in daylight) and I've been killed by mountain lions, three times if I recall. Then again, I was never ready for them, as they can sometimes give the "Wtf" part its role in the game. They come from out of nowhere to pounce on you or the horse, which the cougar can do.

Have you tried the games yet either? They've got Horseshoes, blackjack, poker, etc. Haven't yet cause I'd rather hunt, lol.[/quote]Nope, no mountain lion yet... probably get to that when I do some more hunting this weekend. Is the standard repeater good enough or should I be upgrading?

Good to know that I should be looking out of the other animals... made the mistake of getting in the bull pen yesterday and almot got gored to death as it just came it me out of nowhere.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Ymono37"]
[quote name="CLWolf81"]You haven't tried a mountain lion yet, have you? They're not easy, either. Horse or no horse. Heck, even when he was chasing after someone else, I still had trouble with a shotgun in my hand.

Have you tried the games yet either? They've got Horseshoes, blackjack, poker, etc. Haven't yet cause I'd rather hunt, lol.[/quote]Nope, no mountain lion yet... probably get to that when I do some more hunting this weekend. Is the standard repeater good enough or should I be upgrading?

Good to know that I should be looking out of the other animals... made the mistake of getting in the bull pen yesterday and almot got gored to death as it just came it me out of nowhere.[/quote]

I ended up buying a Springfield Rifle ($300) at the store in Thieves' Landing to the east of MacFarland Ranch and a Winchester Repeater ($350) in Armadillo to the west... There's not enough of a bullet count in the Springfield Rifle, but it does the job, that's for sure. The Winchester has a nice mix of balance in it and its a tad better than your original rifle statwise.

If you really want to have fun, there's also a Buffalo Rifle in Armadillo. Funny thing about that one, it's got the capacity of only one bullet.

The best part of the game is that you can switch guns via the menu and you can get free bullets by either looting bodies or opening the chest in your houses throughout the world. (Its the first thing I did in the areas I can go to. There's 3 that I found thus far) The chests also replenish themselves after awhile, so you can also utilize that option.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
[quote name="CLWolf81"]The best part of the game is that you can switch guns via the menu and you can get free bullets by either looting bodies or opening the chest in your houses throughout the world. (Its the first thing I did in the areas I can go to. There's 3 that I found thus far) The chests also replenish themselves after awhile, so you can also utilize that option.[/quote]Anyone tried out the online multiplayer yet? I checked it out for a little bit on Saturday and was surprised to be thrown in a little town and out of nowhere, a dude just starts shooting me... anyone else have trouble figuring out NPC's that we aren't supposed to shoot versus fellow gamers/"villians" we are?

TSD

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="supraman"]So I was going to do this in the old thread but never got around to it. I want to re-review Mass Effect 2 and touch on the original too. I played the first one on the 360 and loved it, game was a blast because to me it was a RPG with a shooting element, the 2nd one came out and it was a shooter with an RPG element. Now I hate shooters on the 360 because I just don't like shooters using a gamepad, I am diehard keyboard and mouse guy. So I broke down and got both ME and ME2 on PC about a month ago. I spent a week playing ME nonstop so I could do a character import for the 2nd one. So yeah ME on PC is so much easier. The boss battle on PC took maybe a total of 5 minutes for both stages of it, on the 360 it took me several deaths and maybe 45 minutes to complete. That is just how much more accurate I am with a keyboard and mouse that I just decimated the final boss.

So on to ME2, on the 360 I hated the game, I felt the franchise was ruined, played it like twice when I got it and then shelved it because I hated playing it. I knew there was a good story in there but the shooting part I hated because you had to be so much more accurate then ME. On the PC I love the game, it is great, I have a ton of fun, don't dread the shooting nearly as much, hardly ever die but some fights still provide a bit of challenge. I'm close to nailing the hottie I think, I won't lie for a computer character she has a great ass. But yeah on the PC I am enjoying the game so much more.

So if you like your shooters on the PC, I suggest the game, if it dont matter, then get it on either platform.[/quote]

ME2 grew on me, I have it on PC, I personally think the Combat is far better, the more streamlined aspects dont ruin it, the storytelling is just as good. If you want a good challenge beat the game once, and do a new game+ with that character on insane. even with a mouse and keyboard it is hard as hell. (for some reason insane on a new game + is way harder than insane on a new game (even with an ME1 import)) I think it has to do with how the difficulty is scaled based on your starting level.

supraman

Liked Posts:
[quote name="TSD"]
[quote name="supraman"]So I was going to do this in the old thread but never got around to it. I want to re-review Mass Effect 2 and touch on the original too. I played the first one on the 360 and loved it, game was a blast because to me it was a RPG with a shooting element, the 2nd one came out and it was a shooter with an RPG element. Now I hate shooters on the 360 because I just don't like shooters using a gamepad, I am diehard keyboard and mouse guy. So I broke down and got both ME and ME2 on PC about a month ago. I spent a week playing ME nonstop so I could do a character import for the 2nd one. So yeah ME on PC is so much easier. The boss battle on PC took maybe a total of 5 minutes for both stages of it, on the 360 it took me several deaths and maybe 45 minutes to complete. That is just how much more accurate I am with a keyboard and mouse that I just decimated the final boss.

So on to ME2, on the 360 I hated the game, I felt the franchise was ruined, played it like twice when I got it and then shelved it because I hated playing it. I knew there was a good story in there but the shooting part I hated because you had to be so much more accurate then ME. On the PC I love the game, it is great, I have a ton of fun, don't dread the shooting nearly as much, hardly ever die but some fights still provide a bit of challenge. I'm close to nailing the hottie I think, I won't lie for a computer character she has a great ass. But yeah on the PC I am enjoying the game so much more.

So if you like your shooters on the PC, I suggest the game, if it dont matter, then get it on either platform.[/quote]

ME2 grew on me, I have it on PC, I personally think the Combat is far better, the more streamlined aspects dont ruin it, the storytelling is just as good. If you want a good challenge beat the game once, and do a new game+ with that character on insane. even with a mouse and keyboard it is hard as hell. (for some reason insane on a new game + is way harder than insane on a new game (even with an ME1 import)) I think it has to do with how the difficulty is scaled based on your starting level.[/quote]

I'm probably about midway through ME2 but have been side tracked with the Stainless Steel mod for TW:M2. I love that game but wish the diplomacy wasn't programmed wrong. The newer TWs don't really interest me as much either.

TSD

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="supraman"]
[quote name="TSD"]

ME2 grew on me, I have it on PC, I personally think the Combat is far better, the more streamlined aspects dont ruin it, the storytelling is just as good. If you want a good challenge beat the game once, and do a new game+ with that character on insane. even with a mouse and keyboard it is hard as hell. (for some reason insane on a new game + is way harder than insane on a new game (even with an ME1 import)) I think it has to do with how the difficulty is scaled based on your starting level.[/quote]

I'm probably about midway through ME2 but have been side tracked with the Stainless Steel mod for TW:M2. I love that game but wish the diplomacy wasn't programmed wrong. The newer TWs don't really interest me as much either.[/quote]

Ha me too! I modded a kind of fantasy Roman faction into stainless Steel 6.2 couple of screen shots

thera6.jpg

thera5.jpg

(full unit roster, unit cards, pagan religion etc etc.) mainly im hoping Rome 2 total war is the next game. Im working on a campaign script right now to hopefully help the diplomacy ill let you know how it goes, basically you can force "realistic" diplomatic decisions given certain conditions, i.e. offering ceasefires when they are getting their asses kicked. You might want to try stainless steel 6.2 with point blanks real recruitment mod(it includes a ton of submods, better AI etc), adds a ton of new dimensions to the game.

Theres a few other mods im looking forward to. Europa Barborum II (set during 2nd century bc to 1st century ad), Peninsula Italica (this ones almost complete, focuses on the domination of the italian peninsula during the early years of the roman republic), All under heaven, a far east based mod (china, japan, tibet etc etc). Stainless Steel and its submods are by far still the best medieval europe based mod.

Third age total war is remarkably good(and its finished), if you are into lord of the rings, you wouldnt know it wasnt some stand alone lord of the rings game, its that well done practically nothing was reused model wise for the units its all new.

Oh and dont think for a moment the diplomacy in empire or napolean total war is that much better, factions still all end up extremely disagreeable.

supraman

Liked Posts:
[quote name="TSD"]

I'm probably about midway through ME2 but have been side tracked with the Stainless Steel mod for TW:M2. I love that game but wish the diplomacy wasn't programmed wrong. The newer TWs don't really interest me as much either.[/quote]

Ha me too! I modded a kind of fantasy Roman faction into stainless Steel 6.2 couple of screen shots

thera6.jpg

thera5.jpg

(full unit roster, unit cards, pagan religion etc etc.) mainly im hoping Rome 2 total war is the next game. Im working on a campaign script right now to hopefully help the diplomacy ill let you know how it goes, basically you can force "realistic" diplomatic decisions given certain conditions, i.e. offering ceasefires when they are getting their asses kicked. You might want to try stainless steel 6.2 with point blanks real recruitment mod(it includes a ton of submods, better AI etc), adds a ton of new dimensions to the game.

Theres a few other mods im looking forward to. Europa Barborum II (set during 2nd century bc to 1st century ad), Peninsula Italica (this ones almost complete, focuses on the domination of the italian peninsula during the early years of the roman republic), All under heaven, a far east based mod (china, japan, tibet etc etc). Stainless Steel and its submods are by far still the best medieval europe based mod.

Third age total war is remarkably good(and its finished), if you are into lord of the rings, you wouldnt know it wasnt some stand alone lord of the rings game, its that well done practically nothing was reused model wise for the units its all new.

Oh and dont think for a moment the diplomacy in empire or napolean total war is that much better, factions still all end up extremely disagreeable.[/quote]

The diplomacy in Empire was MUCH easier to deal with. But in Medieval you could ally wiht a country and next turn they went to war with you. Least in Empire if they went to war you good usually buy them off.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am 6 hours into RDR and I am only 20% through the game, this is awesome!

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
So with all these great anticipated games now out... What's is the next great mega blockbuster that is highly anticipated and coming out soon.

TSD

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="supraman"]
[quote name="TSD"]

thera6.jpg

thera5.jpg

Oh and dont think for a moment the diplomacy in empire or napolean total war is that much better, factions still all end up extremely disagreeable.[/quote]

The diplomacy in Empire was MUCH easier to deal with. But in Medieval you could ally wiht a country and next turn they went to war with you. Least in Empire if they went to war you good usually buy them off.[/quote]

They implemented alot of new things in empire/Naploeon that I think can be refined and even better in whatever total war game is next. Id like them to look at the functionality of other Turn based strategy games such as Europa Universalis. i.e. in EU:Rome the political aspect is huge in the Roman republic rebellions with happen if you dont properly keep the political factions happy. The cool thing about it (which is a feature that was touched on in Empire) is you can choose who to take control of when the civil war breaks out, the rebel or senate/imperator. Really victorious generals have a habit of becoming populists if you dont shower them with titles triumphs and favors, they will take them by force. Every political person has a background to look at so you can see their craeer goals, and try and keep them happy.

While the real time aspect of the combat is what separates total war from other games for the future, I wish they would concentrate less on improving the 3d engine, and simply concentrate on further enhancing the turnbased aspect, while napoleon was actually treated as a new game and not an expansion, it really offers less int he way of content than kingdoms did for M2tw, or Alexander for Rome.

I saw an interview, alas Rome 2 is what I would love for the next game, I think they are going to take a new direction for their next one. They pay close attention to the modding community and what types of mods are successful, and said they believe the next total war game may not be historical. i.e. I am assuming it may feature their own storyline and factions in a fictional world.

bubbleheadchief

Liked Posts:
You guys playing ME2, please tell me it picks up pace at some point. SO far I am pretty bored wiht it. Reminds me alot of KOTOR1 and 2.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
[quote name="MassHavoc"]So with all these great anticipated games now out... What's is the next great mega blockbuster that is highly anticipated and coming out soon.[/quote]

I can't/shouldn't think about it. As it is, I probably shouldn't have bought RDR when I have like 3 other games I haven't finished.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Ymono37"]
[quote name="MassHavoc"]So with all these great anticipated games now out... What's is the next great mega blockbuster that is highly anticipated and coming out soon.[/quote]

I can't/shouldn't think about it. As it is, I probably shouldn't have bought RDR when I have like 3 other games I haven't finished.[/quote]

My next game is going to be Alan Wake, only heard good things about it. There apparently are maps coming out for MW2 next week. And after that I think the "next megauberblockbuster" games are Halo Reach and Call of Duty Black Ops.

bubbleheadchief

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Stu Grimson"]
[quote name="Ymono37"]

I can't/shouldn't think about it. As it is, I probably shouldn't have bought RDR when I have like 3 other games I haven't finished.[/quote]

My next game is going to be Alan Wake, only heard good things about it. There apparently are maps coming out for MW2 next week. And after that I think the "next megauberblockbuster" games are Halo Reach and Call of Duty Black Ops.[/quote]

Wife has nothing but good things to say about ALan Wake.

supraman

Liked Posts:
[quote name="bubbleheadchief"]You guys playing ME2, please tell me it picks up pace at some point. SO far I am pretty bored wiht it. Reminds me alot of KOTOR1 and 2.[/quote]

So far can't say. Been doing the loyalty missions which are really important if you want your crew to survive the final battle. The final battle breakdown for loyalty and stuff is in this months Game Informer (Gamestop's magazine).

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
[quote name="bubbleheadchief"]Wife has nothing but good things to say about ALan Wake.[/quote]It sounds like a cool game... alas, not for us PS3 users.

I was reading an article last week that was reporting a "controversy" with the game. Not because of any content... but because the makers of the game touted the HD was greater than it really was. To the point of guys with nothing better to do creating screen shots and magnifying the blocky pixellation on the roll bars of a jeep.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Stu Grimson"]
[quote name="Ymono37"]

My next game is going to be Alan Wake, only heard good things about it. There apparently are maps coming out for MW2 next week. And after that I think the "next megauberblockbuster" games are Halo Reach and Call of Duty Black Ops.[/quote]

That's in the Shooter department.

In the RPG/MMO department, there's Final Fantasy XIV and Diablo III. I might be forgetting one, but these are what I'm thinking about right now.