Video Game Thread

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Ymono37"]
[quote name="CLWolf81"]The best part of the game is that you can switch guns via the menu and you can get free bullets by either looting bodies or opening the chest in your houses throughout the world. (Its the first thing I did in the areas I can go to. There's 3 that I found thus far) The chests also replenish themselves after awhile, so you can also utilize that option.[/quote]Anyone tried out the online multiplayer yet? I checked it out for a little bit on Saturday and was surprised to be thrown in a little town and out of nowhere, a dude just starts shooting me... anyone else have trouble figuring out NPC's that we aren't supposed to shoot versus fellow gamers/"villians" we are?[/quote]

Not tried it yet. I'm suposed to be a part of some posse, but we haven't organized yet. No idea why.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
[quote name="CLWolf81"]Not tried it yet. I'm suposed to be a part of some posse, but we haven't organized yet. No idea why.[/quote]The moment I got logged in, I had 2 posse join requests (say that 5 times fast) - wasn't sure exactly what that entailed so I politely declined for the moment.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
So I'm loving FFXIII but (please forgive me) I'm having a really hard time understanding all of the story line and exactly what's what type of thing. I'm not too far, maybe like chapter 5 or something, but like I can't quite figure out the relations of all the stuff to each other, can someone give me a very brief basic understanding? l"cei, cacoon, santuary, ect... Cacoon is supposed to be like earth? Eden is the capital? Pulse huh? I'm getting everything mixed up and confused.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
[quote name="MassHavoc"]So I'm loving FFXIII but (please forgive me) I'm having a really hard time understanding all of the story line and exactly what's what type of thing. I'm not too far, maybe like chapter 5 or something, but like I can't quite figure out the relations of all the stuff to each other, can someone give me a very brief basic understanding? l"cei, cacoon, santuary, ect... Cacoon is supposed to be like earth? Eden is the capital? Pulse huh? I'm getting everything mixed up and confused.[/quote]

I'll tell you without giving out the storyline, though you'll see it if you watch all the cutscenes. Except... I might as well per tradition...

*************SPOILERS************

Chapter 1-2: The encounter of how they met. They all were forced to take a train from Cocoon (the moon planet) to Pulse (I called it "Earth"), basically far away from society's norms because once you receive a brand from any Fal'cie (a monster), you end up turning into a L'Cie (Nasty monster) if you do not "fulfill your focus". With the fears of anyone, and I mean anyone turning into a L'Cie, the fears amongst Cocoon's people make the migrations turn into a mass witch hunt at the time. Of course, as you know you don't have a clue what your focus is either, and you get your assumptions from seeing Serah one last time.

3: After beating Anima in his home, you get tossed and saved into a lake. It is at this time you end up looking to escape.

4-5: You split up and go different directions, considering then it was the best course of action at the moment...

Eden, yes, is the Capital of Cocoon.

Any questions, feel free to ask me. I beat the game already and got all the whore points for it, except two...

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I guess I get most of that, I just didn't get what everything is. So.

Cocoon = Moon plane, the char.'s home

Pulse = Earth? Who lives there? what's there?

Fal'cie = monsters, where do they come from? Where do they live? Why do they have power over anything? can't they just fight them? People are just randomly branded somehow? What the fuck was Sara doing that she magically was branded. (maybe that comes later)

Sanctum, PSICOM, Guardian, NORA, ECT= I can't figure out who are the good guys and who are the bad guys who works for who, it's just really confusing to me, luckily I haven't really needed to understand a lot of the innerworkings to enjoy the game. I just don't understand the basic premise of how everything intereacts and who is the good and the bad, and who is fighting whole. Why they need to "Purge", where those people are going, or what is happening to them, ect. Just very confusing to me, and I wasn't even drinking!

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
[quote name="MassHavoc"]I guess I get most of that, I just didn't get what everything is. So.

Cocoon = Moon plane, the char.'s home

Pulse = Earth? Who lives there? what's there?

Fal'cie = monsters, where do they come from? Where do they live? Why do they have power over anything? can't they just fight them? People are just randomly branded somehow? What the fuck was Sara doing that she magically was branded. (maybe that comes later)

Sanctum, PSICOM, Guardian, NORA, ECT= I can't figure out who are the good guys and who are the bad guys who works for who, it's just really confusing to me, luckily I haven't really needed to understand a lot of the innerworkings to enjoy the game. I just don't understand the basic premise of how everything intereacts and who is the good and the bad, and who is fighting whole. Why they need to "Purge", where those people are going, or what is happening to them, ect. Just very confusing to me, and I wasn't even drinking![/quote]

Here's the answers you wish to know.

- Cocoon is the moon planet. You know that much at least.

- Pulse is the world below, Earth if you will. You'll visit Pulse later in the story. I can't describe it for you, due to the fact I'd ruin the story for you.

- Fal'cie are monsters (You know them in other FF games as summons), the givers of life, who have the power to control others and control the means of common society. For example, Eden controls the city of Eden, as you will learn later. Carbuncle is also in the story, but he's a food storage in this game. You'll catch that in a cutscene. If the Fal'Cie died, humanity itself would cease to exist.

- Sanctum Fal'Cie like are in essence evil as you will soon see when you get mid-way into the story. I won't state who the main enemy is, but you haven't seen this person yet.

- PSICOM, though different from Sanctum, is still in league with the Sanctum troops. They're the scientists in the story and the ones with the most sense. I'd call them the "good guys" of the evil side.

- NORA is an operation, named by Hope, after Snowe Villiers unintentionally killed Hope's mother, ironically named Nora. Hope, being the 12yr old brat that he is, will blame Snowe for everything and attempt to kill him in the process as a means of revenge as you've seen in cutscenes.

- The "Purge" is the forced migration of those who were branded, and those who were nearby or in league with the branded people, to go to Pulse and live far away from Cocoon. Its a way for the government to keep the peace within the rest of Cocoon's society.

As you will learn, I will say this ---- There are no real good guys in this game, except for the characters you play. Its a survival of the fittest issue with the group, as you will see. As branded L'Cie, the main characters are in an "us-versus-the world" mentality, yet they still believe they can save themselves and the world as well as other people like Serah.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
That clears it up for me some, thanks. I guess I was having a hard time how the Fal'cie "monsters" were bad and branding all these people with essentially death marks, yet still working with the sanctum to keep the piece. I just can't figure out why everyone didn't band together to fight the Fal'cie but maybe we'll get into that later. Especially with the main chars. being l'cie. I'm at the point after Snowe is introduced to the Sanctum dude. The hooker and the Pimp are out on their own, and right now I'm fighting with Light and Hope in some lit up tower type thing. Don't know when I"ll get to play again as this is all over at my friends place. I really need to get a PS3.

phranchk

Liked Posts:
ModNation Racers

I love it. It's a great party game. On top of that you can easiy lose many hours of your life just modding characters, tracks, and karts. I hope NHL 11 allows similar modding controls of helmets.

It's very similar to Little Big Planet it the modification aspect, but it's a kart racer. It's a pretty fun one at that. My one gripe with the game is load times are pretty bad.

phranchk

Liked Posts:
[quote name="MassHavoc"]So with all these great anticipated games now out... What's is the next great mega blockbuster that is highly anticipated and coming out soon.[/quote]

For me it's NHL 11 and Gran Turismo 5.

With Gran Turismo 5 it could be another 2 years before we see it. It's supposed to be the end of this year, but that's a game that was supposed to be released a year ago.

supraman

Liked Posts:
[quote name="phranchk"]

For me it's NHL 11 and Gran Turismo 5.

With Gran Turismo 5 it could be another 2 years before we see it. It's supposed to be the end of this year, but that's a game that was supposed to be released a year ago.[/quote]

Gran Turismo 5 is a myth :D . Also the next blockbuster will be Call of Duty: Black Ops due out late this year...crap I just realized we just hit the deadzone for games. Still don't get why there are no good summer releases.

Hey on a seperate note does anyone play COD: MW2 on PC? My nephew used to play with me but his PC is toast and playing alone isn't as much fun. Maybe if there are enough even make a clan. I dunno.

Or anyone play Battlefield Bad Company 2? I know TSD does but we never seemed to be able to hook up.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
[quote name="supraman"]

Gran Turismo 5 is a myth :D . Also the next blockbuster will be Call of Duty: Black Ops due out late this year...crap I just realized we just hit the deadzone for games. Still don't get why there are no good summer releases.

Hey on a seperate note does anyone play COD: MW2 on PC? My nephew used to play with me but his PC is toast and playing alone isn't as much fun. Maybe if there are enough even make a clan. I dunno.

Or anyone play Battlefield Bad Company 2? I know TSD does but we never seemed to be able to hook up.[/quote]

I should have clarified, new ground breaking games that aren't sequels. Something people can't wait to see because it's different and new.

phranchk

Liked Posts:
[quote name="MassHavoc"]

I should have clarified, new ground breaking games that aren't sequels. Something people can't wait to see because it's different and new.[/quote]

The Last Guardian, no release date as of yet.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
[quote name="phranchk"]

The Last Guardian, no release date as of yet.[/quote]

OoooOOOOoo intrigued. Any Details?

supraman

Liked Posts:
L.A. Noir will be a major hit too, no release date either

It is about being a 1940s detective in LA.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
[quote name="supraman"]L.A. Noir will be a major hit too, no release date either

It is about being a 1940s detective in LA.[/quote]

A la L.A. Confidential?

supraman

Liked Posts:
Yeah that same style, I'm sure that movie as well as the Black Dahlia have inspired parts of the game.

It is being done by Rockstar games so it is open sandbox too but what is really cool about this game is you have to read faces to tell if someone is lying and so the dev team realized you have to make faces look ultra realistic to read the subtleness of lying so instead of doing mo-cap they actually had the voice actors, act it out and they would record it that way and had software that directly animated it. I read the article they had in Game Informer a couple months back, might be on their website. Sounds kick ass I will be pre-ordering it when they have a release date.

phranchk

Liked Posts:
[quote name="MassHavoc"]

OoooOOOOoo intrigued. Any Details?[/quote]

Not many. Just a couple of trailers.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHzHoMT5eRg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAQ8WKXUvtE[/youtube]

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Ymono37"]The moment I got logged in, I had 2 posse join requests (say that 5 times fast) - wasn't sure exactly what that entailed so I politely declined for the moment.[/quote]

I finally picked up RDR on Tuesday night. I haven't had too much time to play yet because of the Hawks game but I like it so far. Still trying to get good on the horse, it's damn tricky. In single player do you guys keep the aiming on Normal or do you change that?

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Tater"]I finally picked up RDR on Tuesday night. I haven't had too much time to play yet because of the Hawks game but I like it so far. Still trying to get good on the horse, it's damn tricky. In single player do you guys keep the aiming on Normal or do you change that?[/quote]Riding horses can be tricky... starts to get easier as you play more.

I've kept the aiming on normal... to tell you the truth, I think I've only really used to deadeye-thing like once or twice. I did notice the other day though that if you're target is within a certain range, quickly pressing aim will auto-lock... which can be helpful if you're trying to shoot bandits and drive a stagecoach at the same time.

I also haven't been doing all that many missions but working on getting the Survivalist/Skilled Hunter achievements.

whalerhawk

Liked Posts:
Has anyone played Split Second? I was a huge Burnout 3 fan and Burnout Revenge for that matter as well, but I didn't like the open world aspect of Burnout Paradise. Early reviews say that Split Second is like an updated version of the early Burnouts, which makes it a must buy for me, but I'm looking for some honest user feedback first before I rush in.