Niemis Arbitration

5Minutes4Fighting

Liked Posts:
Re: Niemi makes me say "NO!"

[quote name="Stu Grimson"]

He also said Vokoun is an untouchable.[/quote]

I wouldn't put too much stock in that. Dale was in love with every mega-bucks free agent he ever signed. But then like clockwork, the following spring he sent a fax to every gm in the league that each of his free agent signings was available. That legacy continues, the Hawks are desperately trying to unload Campbell and Huet.

-5Minutes

JOVE23

Liked Posts:

I feel a lot better.

Eklund is saying that Niemi is going to get a QO and we won't be able to match it.

*phew*

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:

Well...thinking outloud here....

If a team goes and offers Niemi and Hjarllmarsson around the 4mil range each - knowing the Hawks would struggle to match...would it be awful to let them go, knowing the compensation?

* $3,091,963 to $4,637,944: A first-round choice and a third-rounder.

I mean, that essentially would give the Hawks 3 first and third round picks in the draft the following year, and prob allow them to keep 1 of Sharp or Versteeg, right? I think they've proven you dont need a "superstar" goalie to win it all (hell, Leighton was in the finals as well).

[quote name="5Minutes4Fighting"]

I wouldn't put too much stock in that. Dale was in love with every mega-bucks free agent he ever signed. But then like clockwork, the following spring he sent a fax to every gm in the league that each of his free agent signings was available. That legacy continues, the Hawks are desperately trying to unload Campbell and Huet.

-5Minutes[/quote]

His legacy just brought you a Stanly Cup.

Posts like these make me ashamed at our dumb fucking fans.

[quote name="JOVE23"]I feel a lot better.

Eklund is saying that Niemi is going to get a QO and we won't be able to match it.

*phew*[/quote]

Eklund might want to look up what arbitration is.

E Runs

Liked Posts:

[quote name="JOVE23"]I feel a lot better.

*phew*[/quote]

This makes zero sense seeing as a Qualifying Offer comes from the team itself. So how would the team not be aboe to match it's own offer? Or is it supposed to be an "offer sheet"?

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:

[quote name="pmxc12873"]Well...thinking outloud here....

If a team goes and offers Niemi and Hjarllmarsson around the 4mil range each - knowing the Hawks would struggle to match...would it be awful to let them go, knowing the compensation?

* $3,091,963 to $4,637,944: A first-round choice and a third-rounder.

I mean, that essentially would give the Hawks 3 first and third round picks in the draft the following year, and prob allow them to keep 1 of Sharp or Versteeg, right? I think they've proven you dont need a "superstar" goalie to win it all (hell, Leighton was in the finals as well).[/quote]

no team will offer that much and an offer sheet of just 3m is enough to make the hawks struggle with matching with the cap hell they are in, and the compensation would be just 2nd rounder.

JOVE23

Liked Posts:

[quote name="E Runs"]

This makes zero sense seeing as a Qualifying Offer comes from the team itself. So how would the team not be aboe to match it's own offer? Or is it supposed to be an "offer sheet"?[/quote]

Offer sheet. QO was a lot quicker to type at midnight.

howcho

Liked Posts:

I am in the camp that I would not necessarily miss Niemi. I have a feeling he played a little over his head in the playoffs. In truth he did not have to play all that great. I really do not know what to expect from Antti as a Number One this comming year. He had his share of let downs as we all know. If he where to cost us over 4, I would start shopping. Damn, I don't think I would pay him 3.5

Hell I'm no capologist but my gut is that he is worth 8 for 3.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:

[quote name="howcho"]I am in the camp that I would not necessarily miss Niemi. I have a feeling he played a little over his head in the playoffs. In truth he did not have to play all that great. I really do not know what to expect from Antti as a Number One this comming year. He had his share of let downs as we all know. If he where to cost us over 4, I would start shopping. Damn, I don't think I would pay him 3.5

Hell I'm no capologist but my gut is that he is worth 8 for 3.[/quote]

There's no reason he should get more than three, really.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:

I think if someone offers him the 3.1mil or more...let him go and take the picks.

Try to get a guy like Dane Ellis for 2-3yrs for about 2mil a year

I like Niemi - but I think its been proven you don't need to overpay a bigtime goalie to win the cup.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

This may sound even dumber outloud, but are their any restricted free agents out there that we could offer if we lose Niemi or Hammer? We can parlay the compensation picks into someone else? I know we will be in cap hell but I'm just throwing it out there.

esbrechtel

Liked Posts:

I hope the Hawks can find a way to keep Niemi around but is anyone other than me worried he could be the next Varlomov? Remember that kid did great for Washington in the playoffs in 2009 and then he got hurt and really sucked in 2010...I hope not but you never know...

suomistewart

Liked Posts:

This is a stretch.... but I guess another possibility here is that the Hawks & Niemi already have a deal in place, but because of the lack of tagging room on the 09-10 cap, they can't officially submit/announce the deal until either a trade is made or we get to July 1st. I guess it's highly unlikely a deal would have been negotiated during the playoffs, but there were reports out of Finland that Nemo had been resigned during the late stages of the playoffs. I'm just sayin'.....

maryo

Liked Posts:

[quote name="howcho"]I am in the camp that I would not necessarily miss Niemi. I have a feeling he played a little over his head in the playoffs. In truth he did not have to play all that great. [/quote]

:think: huh?

niemi is the reason we stayed in a bunch of those games.. or have you forgotten already? while the team in front of him took a steaming dump, he stayed solid (yes, all poo references) until the rest of the team pulled their heads out of their asses. if he didn't play all that great, as you say, the hawks may not have even made it out of the first frickin' round, much less deep into the finals.

not that i think we should overpay him seeing as he's still somewhat of a wild card, but please don't sell him short.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:

[quote name="maryo"]

:think: huh?

niemi is the reason we stayed in a bunch of those games.. or have you forgotten already? while the team in front of him took a steaming dump, he stayed solid (yes, all poo references) until the rest of the team pulled their heads out of their asses. if he didn't play all that great, as you say, the hawks may not have even made it out of the first frickin' round, much less deep into the finals.

not that i think we should overpay him seeing as he's still somewhat of a wild card, but please don't sell him short.[/quote]

Im in the same boat as you. He made some much needed saves when he needed to, and I think any other goalie woulda been rattled. However, I am afraid he may come back down a little next year. I hope he is here so I can see for myself.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

If he can get 4 mill or whatever, then I said he should get it...

Elsewhere...

But as a goalie, a rook one at that, I guess money and career-wise you better get as much as you can, when you can. Never know what might happen...

Worked for Huet...

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Bill Zito, Antti Niemi's agent, on WSCR this morning

http://wscr.cbslocal.com/2010/06/25/bil ... more-19722

It's 10 minutes but the two main points...

-The bonus money paid to Toews and Kane will be 4.2 million.

-Has not really spoken to Bowman about a Niemi contract but expects to do so after the draft. This is not in the sense of a problem but more so knowing Bowman has a lot of issues to address.

JOVE23

Liked Posts:

[quote name="Larmer83"]Bill Zito, Antti Niemi's agent, on WSCR this morning

http://wscr.cbslocal.com/2010/06/25/bil ... more-19722

It's 10 minutes but the two main points...

-The bonus money paid to Toews and Kane will be 4.2 million.

-Has not really spoken to Bowman about a Niemi contract but expects to do so after the draft. This is not in the sense of a problem but more so knowing Bowman has a lot of issues to address.[/quote]

4 million in bonuses?

uhhhh...

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:

He has no way of knowing what the bonus money paid to Toews and Kane will be.