Niemis Arbitration

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="bubbleheadchief"]Is it possible to hear a queef from 90 years ago?[/quote]

Perhaps they shot that pussy fart right into an old coffee can and quickly sealed like a time capsule.

(Sigh)... ten more years.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="winos5"]http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...augh-niemi-chicago--20100815,0,5349441.column

Makes me think Niemi was well informed and went to arbitration regardless. "I am not a victim"[/quote]

That mix will be harder to find on Niemi's next team, wherever it is. Niemi predicted he will sign a contract in the next couple of weeks, though he wouldn't name the teams interested. The Islanders have been mentioned, and Niemi told a Finnish newspaper the thought of playing for the Sharks "doesn't sound so bad at all."

The Doug Wilson debacle may conclude the way several have predicted in here all along.

If it ends up being the case then you can squarely blame the loss of Niemi on McDonough.

phranchk

Liked Posts:
[quote name="IceHogsFan"]

That mix will be harder to find on Niemi's next team, wherever it is. Niemi predicted he will sign a contract in the next couple of weeks, though he wouldn't name the teams interested. The Islanders have been mentioned, and Niemi told a Finnish newspaper the thought of playing for the Sharks "doesn't sound so bad at all."

The Doug Wilson debacle may conclude the way several have predicted in here all along.

If it ends up being the case then you can squarely blame the loss of Niemi on McDonough.[/quote]

How is it squarely on McDonough?

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="phranchk"]

How is it squarely on McDonough?[/quote]

I didn't quite understand that either.

As much as I hate McSplash, I don't follow the line of thinking there. Is there more in the rest of the article? I just read what was quoted.

Cornflake

Liked Posts:
Ya cause if you want to blame the Huet contract on him, fine. But since he's going to be either in the ahl or overseas...it makes no difference at this point.

I don't care where he ends up, just as long as it's not San Jose. Mind you, it would be fun to beat them again with Niemi in net.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Cornflake"]Ya cause if you want to blame the Huet contract on him, fine. But since he's going to be either in the ahl or overseas...it makes no difference at this point.

I don't care where he ends up, just as long as it's not San Jose. Mind you, it would be fun to beat them again with Niemi in net.[/quote]

This.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="phranchk"]

How is it squarely on McDonough?[/quote]

You can ask others in here to back this up but I have been told this by several sources that are connected. When the whole ordeal with Dale happened many of the old school regime in the hockey world were furious. They knew that there was something dirty about that handling and they knew it was involving McD. Even at NHL management gatherings he brought his arrogance to the wrong individuals. There is much disdain in the hockey world for McD and the reason I made the statement is because of Doug Wilson and how the the situation with Hjalmarsson happened. It is because of the lack of respect that it occurred. There are some unwritten but formal agreements that have been around for decades in the NHL. Doug broke that tradition because of how the Blackhawks treated a very respected hockey veteran. I had heard all along that Doug wanted Antti on his team and his move with Hjalmarsson proves that. I would bet money that Antti ends up there. This whole offer sheet scenario never happens if it were not for the arrogance of McD. Some of you will look differently and blame Wilson and while that has some relevance it does not take away from the fact that our back office is looked down upon by many who pull the strings in the league.

DBQHawkFan

Liked Posts:
I hate to say it IHF, but Niemi via Zito got greedy. Zito did not think that the Hawks would let him go. But knowing damn well they were between a rock and a hard place with the cap, they forced the issue. I liked how Antii would not comment on the long term deal that Zito denied was offered. If it hadn't been offered, why didn't he just say they never offered me a long term deal. If the 3 year $8 million contract was offered and they refused it, that is stupid on their part. Especially with 64 games of NHL experience. My guess is that once they heard the rumors about Turco, they tried to get the 3 year deal back and the Hawks said no thanks. Just a guess though.

Love Antii and sad to see him go!

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Antti is tending for the Sharks next season then Wilson played the Blackhawks like a fiddle.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't blame Wilson. He tried to snag an excellent, young defenseman that had yet to hit his prime, for what will turn out to be a bargain price. He knew the Hawks' cap situation just as well as anyone that owns a calculator. If he won, he'd hurt the Hawks and get Hammer. If he lost, he'd still hurt the Hawks, his number one competitor in the conference, by forcing them to make uncomfortable player decisions.

Is it possible that he derived some joy out of sticking to the Blackhawks and McD? Sure. But unless presented with evidence to the contrary, I refuse to believe that his sole reason for tendering that offer sheet was to screw over Stan Bowman and John McDonough.

In fact, if I'm the owner of the SJ Sharks, I'm firing Doug Wilson for those type of shenanigans. Doug Wilson's number one concern needs to be figuring out how to keep his team from choking in the playoffs.

DBQHawkFan

Liked Posts:
[quote name="IceHogsFan"]

You can ask others in here to back this up but I have been told this by several sources that are connected. When the whole ordeal with Dale happened many of the old school regime in the hockey world were furious. They knew that there was something dirty about that handling and they knew it was involving McD. Even at NHL management gatherings he brought his arrogance to the wrong individuals. There is much disdain in the hockey world for McD and the reason I made the statement is because of Doug Wilson and how the the situation with Hjalmarsson happened. It is because of the lack of respect that it occurred. There are some unwritten but formal agreements that have been around for decades in the NHL. Doug broke that tradition because of how the Blackhawks treated a very respected hockey veteran. I had heard all along that Doug wanted Antti on his team and his move with Hjalmarsson proves that. I would bet money that Antti ends up there. This whole offer sheet scenario never happens if it were not for the arrogance of McD. Some of you will look differently and blame Wilson and while that has some relevance it does not take away from the fact that our back office is looked down upon by many who pull the strings in the league.[/quote]

You can look at it that way, but Zito got greedy. They could have signed them both early on if Niemi had not taken them to arbitration, offer sheet or not. Niemi's arbitration was announced prior to the offer sheet. Once that happenned, it was one or the other without further decimating the team. The Hawks chose Hammer, but still tried to get Niemi to sign, They refused. Then Turce fell into our laps. That put pressure on Zito, but he would not fold.

Wilson will get his down the road. And this wasn't the first offer sheet ever used, so not sure I can buy that whole scenario.

[quote name="puckjim"]I don't blame Wilson. He tried to snag an excellent, young defenseman that had yet to hit his prime, for what will turn out to be a bargain price. He knew the Hawks' cap situation just as well as anyone that owns a calculator. If he won, he'd hurt the Hawks and get Hammer. If he lost, he'd still hurt the Hawks, his number one competitor in the conference, by forcing them to make uncomfortable player decisions.

Is it possible that he derived some joy out of sticking to the Blackhawks and McD? Sure. But unless presented with evidence to the contrary, I refuse to believe that his sole reason for tendering that offer sheet was to screw over Stan Bowman and John McDonough.

In fact, if I'm the owner of the SJ Sharks, I'm firing Doug Wilson for those type of shenanigans. Doug Wilson's number one concern needs to be figuring out how to keep his team from choking in the playoffs.[/quote]

No way. He wanted Niemi and this was his attempt to make the Hawks chose, one or the other. He knew they could not both afford Hjarlmarsson at 4.5 mil and then Niemi at what ever he was going to be awarded.

I'm still betting Wilson gets Niemi, uses Nittymokin as the BU and sends griese to the minors. It was said long before the Arbitration request the Sharks were interested in Niemi.

I also don't agree Stan was played like a fiddle. Stan had the choice of the two and made it. Most Hawk fans clearly agree with the Choice. I also don't see how it's Mcdonoughs fault and we all know my feelings on him. This was a Business decision by the Hawks. Luckily Turco was willing to take a FOUR MILLION $$ pay cut to have a chance at the Cup.

[quote name="IceHogsFan"]If Antti is tending for the Sharks next season then Wilson played the Blackhawks like a fiddle.[/quote]

As I said above no way. He had a choice. Zito would not accept the offer tenured to Niemi. Mean while Wilson forced the hand. Played like a fiddle, hardly.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

No way. He wanted Niemi and this was his attempt to make the Hawks chose, one or the other. He knew they could not both afford Hjarlmarsson at 4.5 mil and then Niemi at what ever he was going to be awarded.

I'm still betting Wilson gets Niemi, uses Nittymokin as the BU and sends griese to the minors. It was said long before the Arbitration request the Sharks were interested in Niemi.

I also don't agree Stan was played like a fiddle. Stan had the choice of the two and made it. Most Hawk fans clearly agree with the Choice. I also don't see how it's Mcdonoughs fault and we all know my feelings on him. This was a Business decision by the Hawks. Luckily Turco was willing to take a FOUR MILLION $$ pay cut to have a chance at the Cup.[/quote]

That right there says a hell of a lot about the quality of the Hawks defense and what other teams/players think of them.

Especially after he turned down Phili's offer.

I know, old news but it still makes me smile after SO MANY YEARS of teams that no one wanted to join.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
[quote name="R K"]

I also don't agree Stan was played like a fiddle. Stan had the choice of the two and made it. Most Hawk fans clearly agree with the Choice. I also don't see how it's Mcdonoughs fault and we all know my feelings on him. This was a Business decision by the Hawks. Luckily Turco was willing to take a FOUR MILLION $$ pay cut to have a chance at the Cup.[/quote]

Agreed. In fact, Wilson will be hailed as a genius for getting Niemi for less than his arbitration award. At least until he gets bounced out of the playoffs again.

Wilson will have to trade Roster players before signing Niemi at 2.5 or over. They'll be over the Cap.

Either way until the season starts I will believe Wilson knew how much we coveted Hjarlmarsson over Niemi and played his cards.

We all know Nittymokin sucks. He sucked with Philly, he sucked with Tampa and now he will suck with San Jose.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

[/quote]

As a student of the game of poker, this was the FIRST thing I said about SJ's offer. I truly thought that Wilson would take either or, knowing Hawks cant have both. It was a GREAT poker play.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Great poker play?

Take a look at the rest of doogie's "hand" and let me know how that "dgroup" looks.

Mr. Charlie Daniels himself would agree thats shitty fiddle playing if his plan was to get Niemi and not Hjarllmasson to make that Dgroup better